2017 NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: 2017 NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Caradoc wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
Regardless of whether he did turn down the Glazers' offer, most of what I'm about to say stays true... but imagine if he actually did, and let's assume he takes the offer the Raiders are currently putting on the table, 10 mil a year + ownership stake; look at this freaking career this guy has made for himself, all by creating/embodying this fiery "football guy"/"chucky" persona:

- Moderately successful OC for the Eagles
- Becomes successful HC of the Raiders and begins to gain national attention
- Forays this into taking over a Bucs team chalk-full of hall of famers - wins a super bowl with them

- Has relatively disappointing coaching career with Bucs after superbowl - is fired
- Has a career middle of the road .540 winning percentage. Besides the hole-in-one he hit on the 6th hole, an otherwise unremarkable round of golf.

- Manages to foray his "football guy" persona into ESPN QB Camp segment
- Forays persona into MNF announcer. Makes about $50 million over 9 years in the MNF booth - because he's a fiery football guy with a quirky persona
- Media goes into a tizzy everytime fiery football guy with quirky personality even entertains the possibility of coming back

- When he finally actually considers a comeback, its the same year that he is honored by the Tampa Bay Buccaneer franchise and is inducted into that franchise's Ring of Honor.
- Gets $10 mil a year offer to coach that team (which represents a $3.5 mil/year raise over his current MNF contract)
- Turns them down
- Gets offered $10 mil a year AND A STAKE in another franchise - accepts

Dude went from OK/1 hit wonder coach, to one of the most successful ($ wise) announcers ever, to being honored by one franchise, to owning part of another franchise, and has probably banked close to $100 mil so far. And he's not even done. Dude could very well transition into a front office position after coaching - then potentially into ownership, who knows. Guy could go down as a John Madden type all-time football guy, and you know he wants that too. This is his life, and he's enough of a competitor to see that's where his legacy could land if he keeps going

People love to hate on him, and say what you want, but the dude has pushed ALL the right buttons, all by just being "him". He's put together an all-time career doing something he loves. And he seems to have a nice family to boot. Good for him.

So, not only do you have no evidence, you also have no idea what the word “foray” means too.

I'm thinking he meant to use the word, parlay. That's the word I substituted foray with in my mind.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:18 pm

Caradoc wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:
Regardless of whether he did turn down the Glazers' offer, most of what I'm about to say stays true... but imagine if he actually did, and let's assume he takes the offer the Raiders are currently putting on the table, 10 mil a year + ownership stake; look at this freaking career this guy has made for himself, all by creating/embodying this fiery "football guy"/"chucky" persona:

- Forays this into taking over a Bucs team chalk-full of hall of famers - wins a super bowl with them

- Has relatively disappointing coaching career with Bucs after superbowl - is fired
- Has a career middle of the road .540 winning percentage. Besides the hole-in-one he hit on the 6th hole, an otherwise unremarkable round of golf.

- Forays persona into MNF announcer. Makes about $50 million over 9 years in the MNF booth - because he's a fiery football guy with a quirky persona
- Media goes into a tizzy everytime fiery football guy with quirky personality even entertains the possibility of coming back

- When he finally actually considers a comeback, its the same year that he is honored by the Tampa Bay Buccaneer franchise and is inducted into that franchise's Ring of Honor.
- Gets $10 mil a year offer to coach that team (which represents a $3.5 mil/year raise over his current MNF contract)
- Turns them down

Dude went from OK/1 hit wonder coach, to one of the most successful ($ wise) announcers ever, to being honored by one franchise, to owning part of another franchise, and has probably banked close to $100 mil so far. And he's not even done. Dude could very well transition into a front office position after coaching - then potentially into ownership, who knows. Guy could go down as a John Madden type all-time football guy, and you know he wants that too. This is his life, and he's enough of a competitor to see that's where his legacy could land if he keeps going

People love to hate on him, and say what you want, but the dude has pushed ALL the right buttons, all by just being "him". He's put together an all-time career doing something he loves. And he seems to have a nice family to boot. Good for him.

So, not only do you have no evidence, you also have no idea what the word “foray” means too.

foray is right, parlay is better. big woop

for·ay
ˈfôrˌā,ˈfärˌā/Submit
noun
noun: foray; plural noun: forays
a sudden attack or incursion into enemy territory, especially to obtain something; a raid.
"the garrison made a foray against Richard's camp"
synonyms: raid, attack, assault, incursion, swoop, strike, onslaught, sortie, sally, push, thrust; archaiconset
"the foray was met with little resistance"
an attempt to become involved in a new activity or sphere.
"my first foray into journalism"

verb
verb: foray; 3rd person present: forays; past tense: forayed; past participle: forayed; gerund or present participle: foraying
make or go on a foray.
"the place into which they were forbidden to foray"

what do you mean "evidence" - I said in the very first line that the post I was about to make was within the framework that that story of him rebuffing the Glazer's offer was true.

you're a little too quick to the gun, Caradoc. sometimes it's a little obvious you're out here trying to "gotcha" people... it's a little old sometimes
beardmcdoug

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm

Doctor wrote:I think you hit a lot of the right notes on the post, but it's clear you don't give him enough credit for what he did here in Tampa. He revamped half the roster and turned around a sorry 11 ppg playoff team into a 35 ppg SB winner with Brad Johnson at the helm. In fact, what he was able to get out of journeymen QB is simply incredible, from Gannon to Brad to Griese to Jeff Garcia. Just wow. Everyone outside of Tampa that can see the post SB years objectively know that the window closed and Jon did his best to get something more out of it. Which makes sense, good luck trying to tell the world your SB champion squad needs to hit the reset button and rebuild.

no yeah, you're totally right about what the specifics of what he was able to actually do here, and what he was working with - was sort of just trying to paint the picture with the broad brush strokes that history and most people will likely paint his career with - looking at it from my wife's perspective, per se
beardmcdoug

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Doctor wrote:
Jon rejected the Bucs? Um, what? You actually have something to back that up or are you blowing smoke out of your ass again?

- Turns them down

You forgot to mention he also started a hotline.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Teitan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:15 pm

Marvin Lewis re-signed on 2 year deal.
Teitan

Postby Swashy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:19 pm

lmfao Lewis back in Cincy. Some things never change
Swashy

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 pm

There's no reason to believe he will ever be let go until he retires.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Teitan wrote:Marvin Lewis re-signed on 2 year deal.

That’s amazing. Wow
PrimeMinister

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Marvin Lewis should demand an ownership stake or he walks.
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:17 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Marvin Lewis should demand an ownership stake or he walks.

Right?!! Might already have it
Bootz2004

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:26 pm

Marvin Lewis obviously has dirt on someone in the Brown family.
Deja Entendu

Postby tjax03 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Buc2 wrote:
tjax03 wrote:Why are the glaziers so passive?

:lol: :roll:

Seriously

Do they not want to have and own a successful franchise?

Or are they owners like the texans and browns that just love making money off the idiots
tjax03

Postby NYBF » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:04 am

tjax03 wrote:
Buc2 wrote: :lol: :roll:

Seriously

Or are they owners like the texans and browns that just love making money off the idiots

I need to know - do you have a developmental disability? Victim of fetal alcohol syndrome? Eat lead paint chips when you were a kid? I'm serious. Because if any of that is the case, I'll back off.
NYBF

Postby tjax03 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:41 pm

NYBF wrote:
tjax03 wrote:

Seriously

I need to know - do you have a developmental disability? Victim of fetal alcohol syndrome? Eat lead paint chips when you were a kid? I'm serious. Because if any of that is the case, I'll back off.

What purpose does a response like this give? What did i ask for you to go off the rails like this?

I asked a legitimate question and your response is left field. Instead of wasting keystrokes and time to throw insults either answer the question or move on to something else.

This negativity isn't needed
Last edited by tjax03 on Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tjax03

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:42 pm

tjax03 wrote:
NYBF wrote:

What purpose does a response like this give? What did i ask for you to go off the rails like this?

I asked a legitimate question and your response is left field.

That which is presented without evidence can be refuted without evidence.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby tjax03 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:54 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
tjax03 wrote:

I asked a legitimate question and your response is left field.

That which is presented without evidence can be refuted without evidence.

Evidence? Here is your eviddence

Rams - saw jeff fisher was not the answer
Titans - saw mariota wasnt developing tossed their coach
Jags - gus wasnt getting it done hes gone

These guys are in the playoffs now.

Other teams looking towards the future with he arrow pointing up

Raiders
Giants
Chargers
Bears

Teams stagnant scared to take chances
Browns
Bucs
Bengals
Texans

Winners make moves. Glaziers dont make the right ones. They get random ass coaches or guys who are in that nfc south carousel. I will do a perma ban bet that bucs dont make the playoffs next year with koetter and smith.

If they do you will never see me here again. Im putting my chips ill be here for life because this group of buffoons along with ownership are a joke
tjax03

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:02 pm

tjax, we and the Browns have been axing coaches for the last decade.

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? I think the Browns and Bucs ownership has.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby tjax03 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:tjax, we and the Browns have been axing coaches for the last decade.

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? I think the Browns and Bucs ownership has.

The problem is they axe and hire the unqualified time and time again.

Raheem morris
Greg MRSA schiano
Lovie smith
Now koetter

The only guy to remotely be successful in the nfl is Lovie. Same with the browns. They hire dudes that dont have a clue how to coach and grow his staff and players

This would be a non issue if the glaziers just look for a guy that knows how to coach. What changed from dungy and gruden to this band of clowns?
tjax03

Postby Nano » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:13 pm

We do too many reaction hires.
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:15 pm

tjax03 wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:tjax, we and the Browns have been axing coaches for the last decade.

The problem is they axe and hire the unqualified time and time again.

Raheem morris
Greg MRSA schiano
Lovie smith
Now koetter

The only guy to remotely be successful in the nfl is Lovie. Same with the browns. They hire dudes that dont have a clue how to coach and grow his staff and players

This would be a non issue if the glaziers just look for a guy that knows how to coach. What changed from dungy and gruden to this band of clowns?

Who should we hire?
Mountaineer Buc

Postby KiffininCanton » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:17 pm

Nano wrote:We do too many reaction hires.

agree

Raheem was a reaction to Tomlin's success

Schiano was a reaction to Harbaugh's success

Dirk was a reaction to the Dolphins showing interest and possibly losing continuity with Winston

I have no idea how the Glazers have the money they have, they remind me of the type of people who were loading up on .com stock in 1999 and investing heavily in housing in 2006
KiffininCanton

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:18 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:

agree

Raheem was a reaction to Tomlin's success

Schiano was a reaction to Harbaugh's success

Dirk was a reaction to the Dolphins showing interest and possibly losing continuity with Winston

I have no idea how the Glazers have the money they have, they remind me of the type of people who were loading up on .com stock in 1999 and investing heavily in housing in 2006

Inheritance
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DanTurksGhost » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:24 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:Schiano was a reaction to Harbaugh's success

Well, they'd already hired Chip Kelly who nixed the deal when it came time to sign. They scrambled to get Schiano based on BB's rec.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Crocaneers » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:There's no reason to believe he will ever be let go until he retires.

Which is where I thought we were. He's back in the hired group and off the gallows... Hot Seat first
Crocaneers

Postby Sammich » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:08 am

tjax03 wrote:Greg MRSA schiano
?

This is an example of why nobody takes you seriously. No matter how much anybody loves, hates, or is indifferent to Schiano the MRSA wasn't his doing. I don't think you can blame anybody for that, but if you were determined to find a scapegoat it would the building/facilities manager- not the coach.
Sammich

Postby Caradoc » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Lots of Buc fans blame Schiano for MRSA. Lots of them still think he was the bad guy in the whole Freeman saga as well.
Caradoc

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:58 pm

Agreed 100%. It goes beyond just coaching hires too, nearly all of our moves are just reacting to what went wrong in the previous season instead of creating a plan and thinking ahead. That's why we are always a step behind (if not more) everyone else.
Miller4Prez64

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:15 pm

If the Grumors were true, that would have been another reaction hire. I heard something about when Gruden was inducted in the RoH, Glazer Bros couldn't stop thinking about their father. If true, they were reacting to nostalgia.
theBKwhopper

Postby MJW » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:22 am

Caradoc wrote:Lots of Buc fans blame Schiano for MRSA. Lots of them still think he was the bad guy in the whole Freeman saga as well.

It's still stupid, and Schiano still should have gotten another year with Glennon and Revis.
MJW

Postby KiffininCanton » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 am

MJW wrote:
Caradoc wrote:Lots of Buc fans blame Schiano for MRSA. Lots of them still think he was the bad guy in the whole Freeman saga as well.

It's still stupid, and Schiano still should have gotten another year with Glennon and Revis.

agree

get rid of Bill "lets play Revis in zone coverage" Sheridan and not have to deal with MRSA distraction and I'm interested to see what a 3rd Schiano year looks like.

Definitely more appealing than bringing in a guy who said he was excited about taking the job because it means him and his wife could shop at Publix again.
KiffininCanton

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions