2017 NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: 2017 NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:24 am

MJW wrote:As opposed to us keeping a guy who isn't rated at all, I guess.

Well, at least our wins next season will be unexpected surprises. We can go into the season with very low expectations and not have our hearts broke too badly when we miss the playoffs yet again.
DanTurksGhost

Postby MJW » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:45 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:

Well, at least our wins next season will be unexpected surprises. We can go into the season with very low expectations and not have our hearts broke too badly when we miss the playoffs yet again.

2018 already feels screwed, honestly. Koetter knows we were ready to dump him for Gruden. So does the team. It's unlikely we're making ANY major changes from one of the most underachieving squads in the league. We'll most likely come back with the same GM, coach, coordinators, and quarterback, in the best division in the league. And...what? Make a few free agent moves that we hope work out, unlike nearly every other FA move Licht has made? Hope the light comes on for VHIII and Spence? That's it a straight upward ascent for Howard, Godwin, and Justin Evans? That Winston is going to stop turning over the ball like he's shaving points? That Evans rebounds from a mediocre season?

So on and so forth. I don't intend to get burned again by this bunch. Hope for the best, but expect more of this.
MJW

Postby KiffininCanton » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:13 am

MJW wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

2018 already feels screwed, honestly. Koetter knows we were ready to dump him for Gruden. So does the team.

yeah, let's talk about how bad the Glazers screwed this up.

Basically 5 minutes after they got rejected by Gruden they leak to the media that Koetter will be back, making it obvious they are only sticking with Koetter because Gruden rejected them. Furthermore, the reasoning they gave was Winston playing well the last 2 games, setting themselves up for if Winston played poorly today (which he did), the reasoning looks silly as they are basically saying they are sticking by Koetter because of what now is percieved to be a 2 game aberation of performances by Winston.

All the Glazers had to do is wait until tommorow to announce to Koetter is coming back and the timing of the announcement don't look as dubious in terms of Gruden (granted it still doesn't look great) and the reasoning for keeping Koetter could of been stronger (if we won or played close today, they could of cited 3 strong performances against playoff teams despite being injury depleted to close the season. If we got blown out they still could of said Koetter had a good year last year and they were not going to fire him off of one bad year that was plagued by injuries and the team was forced to play without a bye).
KiffininCanton

Postby Teitan » Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:25 am

Jim caldwell and John Fox fired today
Teitan

Postby sanka » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:47 am

How the **** is Matthew Stafford the highest paid QB in the league....he hasn't been relevant since Megatron retired...but he will have like his 5th or so coach.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
sanka

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:

We make the playoffs next year ... calling it now. I think this team has grown the last few games ... coaches and players
Jason Bourne

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:24 am

Looks like Gruden is going to hire Paul Guenther as his DC ...if he is in fact Raiders next coach
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:25 am

sanka wrote:How the **** is Matthew Stafford the highest paid QB in the league....he hasn't been relevant since Megatron retired...but he will have like his 5th or so coach.

3rd coach *****.
Bootz2004

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:41 am

sanka wrote:How the **** is Matthew Stafford the highest paid QB in the league....he hasn't been relevant since Megatron retired...but he will have like his 5th or so coach.

Only his third coach. He's not even 30 yet, anyway. So still plenty of time for him.
DanTurksGhost

Postby sanka » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:50 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:

Only his third coach. He's not even 30 yet, anyway. So still plenty of time for him.

Caldwell firing is a very foolish..the guy had 3 winning seasons out of 4, yet Hue Jackson still has a job. Jason Garrett has been the cowboys' coach for 7 years with 2 playoffs season yet still has a job.
Last edited by sanka on Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"History is a set of lies agreed upon." - Napoleon
sanka

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:51 am

Jason Bourne wrote:We make the playoffs next year ... calling it now. I think this team has grown the last few games ... coaches and players

Sounds like last year. We were supposed to contend for the division in 2017 based on how we closed out 2016. Lots of people had us making the post-season... well, except for a few of us who predicted a poor season, but we were called "naysayers" who didn't know what we were talking about. After all, we were told, all of the professional analysts said we were on our way to a post-season appearance and was probably the best team in the division.

I'm not opposed to optimism. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but from what I see and what I hear, the outlook isn't terrific for 2018 without some major overhauls. And if Koetter continues to have complete control of the offense, I fear that we will remain stagnant. Assessing this roster from top to bottom tells me that there a too many holes to fill in one season. So Koetter will either have to get yet ANOTHER year in 2019, or we'll be back on the coaching carousel due to another disappointing performance.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:30 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote:We make the playoffs next year ... calling it now. I think this team has grown the last few games ... coaches and players

Sounds like last year. We were supposed to contend for the division in 2017 based on how we closed out 2016. Lots of people had us making the post-season... well, except for a few of us who predicted a poor season, but we were called "naysayers" who didn't know what we were talking about. After all, we were told, all of the professional analysts said we were on our way to a post-season appearance and was probably the best team in the division.

I'm not opposed to optimism. I'm hoping I'm wrong, but from what I see and what I hear, the outlook isn't terrific for 2018 without some major overhauls. And if Koetter continues to have complete control of the offense, I fear that we will remain stagnant. Assessing this roster from top to bottom tells me that there a too many holes to fill in one season. So Koetter will either have to get yet ANOTHER year in 2019, or we'll be back on the coaching carousel due to another disappointing performance.

I think we need to revamp the D line with better players from the draft maybe better job at free agency . Everybody in the world knows we have the worst pass rush in the league . It would be nice to have a D line to close out games again . Chubb/ keys and Demarcus/ziggy would help change things quickly
Jason Bourne

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:34 pm

Teitan wrote:Jim caldwell and John Fox fired today

Updated.. thats 7 so far.. we'll see if it stops. i have this feeling someone is left.
Last edited by Crocaneers on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crocaneers

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:21 pm

Vance Joseph returning for 2018 with Denver. Maybe Elway will get them a QB.
Bootz2004

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:36 pm

Bruce Arians (Cardinals) announced his retirement
Crocaneers

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:50 pm

A lot of teams are showing patience and loyalty to their head coaches this year. Quite a few guys who were predicted to get the ax didn't. Next year could be littered with jobs though if the team's patience isn't rewarded.

And speaking of which it's looking more likely that Marvin Lewis will return as Bengals head coach in 2018. Unbelievable.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:25 pm

Del Rio firing is the surprise. More about them wanting Gruden than him failing.
Caradoc

Postby Nano » Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:00 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:A lot of teams are showing patience and loyalty to their head coaches this year. Quite a few guys who were predicted to get the ax didn't. Next year could be littered with jobs though if the team's patience isn't rewarded.

And speaking of which it's looking more likely that Marvin Lewis will return as Bengals head coach in 2018. Unbelievable.

Bengals fans: Noooooooooooooooo
Nano

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:54 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:A lot of teams are showing patience and loyalty to their head coaches this year. Quite a few guys who were predicted to get the ax didn't. Next year could be littered with jobs though if the team's patience isn't rewarded.

It really is. Poor Bengals fans.

Somewhere, Shaman stares at his hat and smiles.
Deja Entendu

Postby Stephenip12 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 am

Ted Thompson out as Packers GM. Good, the guy wasted some of Rodger's prime years by not putting a solid team around him.
Stephenip12

Postby Doctor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:50 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Vance Joseph returning for 2018 with Denver. Maybe Elway will get them a QB.

It's the draft to do it. I liked last year class, a ton of talents project QBs. This class is even better. Probably the best class I've seen since Eli-Rivers-Ben. While I would have loved to trade down with a QB needy team and get more picks, I doubt that happens now. Four top QB and four QB needy teams in front of us. The plus of that is that one of the elite players should fall to us now.
Doctor

Postby tjax03 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Why are the glaziers so passive?
tjax03

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:47 pm

Doctor wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Vance Joseph returning for 2018 with Denver. Maybe Elway will get them a QB.

It's the draft to do it. I liked last year class, a ton of talents project QBs. This class is even better. Probably the best class I've seen since Eli-Rivers-Ben. While I would have loved to trade down with a QB needy team and get more picks, I doubt that happens now. Four top QB and four QB needy teams in front of us. The plus of that is that one of the elite players should fall to us now.

Yep. At the very least the Jets, Broncos and Browns need QBs badly. The Giants need a long term solution but they could stick with Eli for a year or 2 long and draft a guy later. But let's assume they want Rosen or Darnold. It's a long shot for Indy but given the status of Andrew Luck right now and given that they now have a GM AND head coach that didn't draft him, I wouldn't 100% rule out a QB. Cleveland likely trades that 4th overall pick because they're Cleveland. So you're talking about a situation where we'd basically have our pick of whatever non QB we wanted. I agree with you, 4 QBs is the very minimum. Could go up to 5.
Bootz2004

Postby NYBF » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:40 pm

tjax03 wrote:Why are the glaziers so passive?

:?
NYBF

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:46 pm

tjax03 wrote:Why are the glaziers so passive?

:lol: :roll:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:20 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:
MJW wrote:
2018 already feels screwed, honestly. Koetter knows we were ready to dump him for Gruden. So does the team.

Basically 5 minutes after they got rejected by Gruden they leak to the media that Koetter will be back, making it obvious they are only sticking with Koetter because Gruden rejected them. Furthermore, the reasoning they gave was Winston playing well the last 2 games, setting themselves up for if Winston played poorly today (which he did), the reasoning looks silly as they are basically saying they are sticking by Koetter because of what now is percieved to be a 2 game aberation of performances by Winston.

All the Glazers had to do is wait until tommorow to announce to Koetter is coming back and the timing of the announcement don't look as dubious in terms of Gruden (granted it still doesn't look great) and the reasoning for keeping Koetter could of been stronger (if we won or played close today, they could of cited 3 strong performances against playoff teams despite being injury depleted to close the season. If we got blown out they still could of said Koetter had a good year last year and they were not going to fire him off of one bad year that was plagued by injuries and the team was forced to play without a bye).

Jon rejected the Bucs? Um, what? You actually have something to back that up or are you blowing smoke out of your ass again?
Doctor

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:55 pm

Doctor wrote:
KiffininCanton wrote:

Jon rejected the Bucs? Um, what? You actually have something to back that up or are you blowing smoke out of your ass again?

Regardless of whether he did turn down the Glazers' offer, most of what I'm about to say stays true... but imagine if he actually did, and let's assume he takes the offer the Raiders are currently putting on the table, 10 mil a year + ownership stake; look at this freaking career this guy has made for himself, all by creating/embodying this fiery "football guy"/"chucky" persona:

- Moderately successful OC for the Eagles
- Becomes successful HC of the Raiders and begins to gain national attention
- Forays this into taking over a Bucs team chalk-full of hall of famers - wins a super bowl with them

- Has relatively disappointing coaching career with Bucs after superbowl - is fired
- Has a career middle of the road .540 winning percentage. Besides the hole-in-one he hit on the 6th hole, an otherwise unremarkable round of golf.

- Manages to foray his "football guy" persona into ESPN QB Camp segment
- Forays persona into MNF announcer. Makes about $50 million over 9 years in the MNF booth - because he's a fiery football guy with a quirky persona
- Media goes into a tizzy everytime fiery football guy with quirky personality even entertains the possibility of coming back

- When he finally actually considers a comeback, its the same year that he is honored by the Tampa Bay Buccaneer franchise and is inducted into that franchise's Ring of Honor.
- Gets $10 mil a year offer to coach that team (which represents a $3.5 mil/year raise over his current MNF contract)
- Turns them down
- Gets offered $10 mil a year AND A STAKE in another franchise - accepts

Dude went from OK/1 hit wonder coach, to one of the most successful ($ wise) announcers ever, to being honored by one franchise, to owning part of another franchise, and has probably banked close to $100 mil so far. And he's not even done. Dude could very well transition into a front office position after coaching - then potentially into ownership, who knows. Guy could go down as a John Madden type all-time football guy, and you know he wants that too. This is his life, and he's enough of a competitor to see that's where his legacy could land if he keeps going

People love to hate on him, and say what you want, but the dude has pushed ALL the right buttons, all by just being "him". He's put together an all-time career doing something he loves. And he seems to have a nice family to boot. Good for him.
beardmcdoug

Postby Doctor » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:11 pm

I think you hit a lot of the right notes on the post, but it's clear you don't give him enough credit for what he did here in Tampa. He revamped half the roster and turned around a sorry 11 ppg playoff team into a 35 ppg SB winner with Brad Johnson at the helm. In fact, what he was able to get out of journeymen QB is simply incredible, from Gannon to Brad to Griese to Jeff Garcia. Just wow. Everyone outside of Tampa that can see the post SB years objectively know that the window closed and Jon did his best to get something more out of it. Which makes sense, good luck trying to tell the world your SB champion squad needs to hit the reset button and rebuild.
Doctor

Postby Caradoc » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Doctor wrote:

Regardless of whether he did turn down the Glazers' offer, most of what I'm about to say stays true... but imagine if he actually did, and let's assume he takes the offer the Raiders are currently putting on the table, 10 mil a year + ownership stake; look at this freaking career this guy has made for himself, all by creating/embodying this fiery "football guy"/"chucky" persona:

- Forays this into taking over a Bucs team chalk-full of hall of famers - wins a super bowl with them

- Has relatively disappointing coaching career with Bucs after superbowl - is fired
- Has a career middle of the road .540 winning percentage. Besides the hole-in-one he hit on the 6th hole, an otherwise unremarkable round of golf.

- Forays persona into MNF announcer. Makes about $50 million over 9 years in the MNF booth - because he's a fiery football guy with a quirky persona
- Media goes into a tizzy everytime fiery football guy with quirky personality even entertains the possibility of coming back

- When he finally actually considers a comeback, its the same year that he is honored by the Tampa Bay Buccaneer franchise and is inducted into that franchise's Ring of Honor.
- Gets $10 mil a year offer to coach that team (which represents a $3.5 mil/year raise over his current MNF contract)
- Turns them down

Dude went from OK/1 hit wonder coach, to one of the most successful ($ wise) announcers ever, to being honored by one franchise, to owning part of another franchise, and has probably banked close to $100 mil so far. And he's not even done. Dude could very well transition into a front office position after coaching - then potentially into ownership, who knows. Guy could go down as a John Madden type all-time football guy, and you know he wants that too. This is his life, and he's enough of a competitor to see that's where his legacy could land if he keeps going

People love to hate on him, and say what you want, but the dude has pushed ALL the right buttons, all by just being "him". He's put together an all-time career doing something he loves. And he seems to have a nice family to boot. Good for him.

So, not only do you have no evidence, you also have no idea what the word “foray” means too.
Caradoc

Postby Buc2 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:16 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Doctor wrote:

- Turns them down

People love to hate on him, and say what you want, but the dude has pushed ALL the right buttons, all by just being "him". And he seems to have a nice family to boot. Good for him.

If I believed in such things, I'd say he had to have made a deal with the Devil. :lol:

Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions