2017 NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
2017 NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:42 am

11 weeks in .. with 5 to go ... it's time to fire up the coach watch .... I will add remove, post, in the initial post the status of how things are looking.

:hanged: :red: D E A D :red: :hanged:
Ben McAdoo - Coughlin's replacement, can't control the team.... Fired Monday December 4th
Chuck Pagano - Still??? He hides behind the Luck injury - Fired Dec 31st
Jack Del Rio - The group has good points, but I'm on record calling this early. Fired Dec 31st
John Fox - What's with this guy? Fired Jan 1st
Jim Caldwell - Gone Jan 1st
Bruce Arians - Announced retirement Jan 1st

:sunshine: The End is Nigh :green: (c) Croc

:extinguishflame: .Too Hot to Handle :extinguishflame: .

:cussingwhite: Really Uncomfortable :cussingwhite:

:tolietpush: Can't sit long :tolietpush:
Jay Gruden - It's Dan Snyder .. He changes coaches more than underwear
Vance Joseph - Rookie coach in a tire fire situation .. Elway will do something, not sure what. The latest blowout in Miami of all places won't last long.
Jason Garrett - For the record ... again ... Jerry is starting to consider Gruden if Cowboys don't make the playoffs. ESPN has in in Warm seat as of 12/6
Bill O'brien - Houston's record is horrible, and they also hide behind Watts and Watson injuries

:cussingargument: Not sure where to put them yet .. :cussingargument:

Kyle Shanahan - Rookie head coach, may survive
Dan Quinnn - the ATL Super bowl fall over could bleed him out. He may need to win the South and that may not be good if he's one game and done.
Jim Harbaugh - it made ESPN Lukewarm .. so ..

:ugeek: Leaving the hot seat :ugeek:
Dirk Koeter - Shocking huh?
Hue Jackson - ZERO dash 16 ... and locked in for next year
Todd Bowles ... no thoughts
Marvin Lewis - No words .. he just keeps coaching. It's a Hot seat record pulled from the gallows to the hiring line.
Last edited by Crocaneers on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:40 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Crocaneers

Re: 2017 NFL Head Coach Hot Seat

Postby uscbucsfan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:56 am

Honestly Pagano should be up there with Koetter and Jackson. He's a terrible coach and keeps getting a pass.
uscbucsfan

Postby deltbucs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:58 am

Is DK really that high for you guys?
deltbucs

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:06 am

Koetter is too high. Way too high. Jackson is the only coach who should be in that range.

Del Rio is also way too high. I don't even think he's likely to get fired even if they don't make the playoffs. You talk about the fight yesterday but forget the bigger picture: They won the game. And beat a division rival in doing so. He's not going anywhere. I'd switch him with Marvin Lewis. It's just time for him to go. Same with McAdoo.

Take Shanahan off the list. He's in no danger what so ever. The York's signed him and Lynch to 6 year deals. They are all on the same page as far as what they are dealing with in terms of that team. Full on rebuild. He'll be there for at least 3 years no matter what, unless there's some scandal. Maybe even 4.

I'd also take Joseph off too. I don't think he's gone after 1 year. The situation they are under is Elway's fault. Get a QB.
Bootz2004

Postby Deja Entendu » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:23 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Koetter is too high. Way too high. Jackson is the only coach who should be in that range.

Del Rio is also way too high. I don't even think he's likely to get fired even if they don't make the playoffs. You talk about the fight yesterday but forget the bigger picture: They won the game. And beat a division rival in doing so. He's not going anywhere. I'd switch him with Marvin Lewis. It's just time for him to go. Same with McAdoo.

Take Shanahan off the list. He's in no danger what so ever. The York's signed him and Lynch to 6 year deals. They are all on the same page as far as what they are dealing with in terms of that team. Full on rebuild. He'll be there for at least 3 years no matter what, unless there's some scandal. Maybe even 4.

I'd also take Joseph off too. I don't think he's gone after 1 year. The situation they are under is Elway's fault. Get a QB.

Agree with all of this besides, Del Rio. Expectations were sky high for Oakland, and this season has been a bust so far. I don't think he should be fired, but I think his seat is at least a little warm.
Deja Entendu

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:29 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Koetter is too high. Way too high. Jackson is the only coach who should be in that range.

Agree with all of this besides, Del Rio. Expectations were sky high for Oakland, and this season has been a bust so far. I don't think he should be fired, but I think his seat is at least a little warm.

Oakland is a game out of the division lead right now with 4 weeks to go. Plenty of time to make up ground.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:35 am

Hot (not saying they'll be fired - just saying it shouldn't shock anyone if any of them are)
Hue Jackson, for obvious reasons.
Marvin Lewis. How they close things out will be huge. At some point, Mike Brown loses patience with mediocrity.
Chuck Pagano. I think he's been a dead man walking since the new GM was hired.
Vance Joseph. Even in his first year. That team has fallen apart.
Ben McAdoo. The Giants don't make rash decisions, but...
Jay Gruden. This might be extreme. But I don't really consider Dan Snyder a patient owner.
Jason Garrett. If they don't make the playoffs, I think he's gone.
John Fox. He's lost a lot of games there, and he's not the guy to help Trubisky reach his potential.
Dirk Koetter. Don't @ me.
Bruce Arians. I don't think his seat is "hot" but I think he's very, very close to retirement.

Warm (Almost certainly safe - but not safe-safe)
Adam Gase. It would be a huge mistake, but it's not impossible.
Todd Bowles. He kept the worst 53 in the league in the playoff hunt until December. That's not nothing.
John Harbaugh. It depends on how this year plays out, but they have to be wondering if this era with him and Flacco has run it's course.
Mike Mularkey. Mariota's regression has to be a huge issue for ownership.
Bill O' Brien. I seriously doubt he gets fired considered how good they looked with Watson healthy.
Jack Del Rio. I don't think he gets fired for one disappointing year.
Mike McCarthy. Ditto, considering Aaron Rodgers.

He's lucky it's his first season
Sean McDermott. The QB mishandling will be remembered in 20 years unless they get into the playoffs. Sometimes one boneheaded decision is enough. But not yet.

Ice Cold
Bill Belichick
Mike Tomlin
Doug Marrone
Andy Reid (though he doesn't look like it the last month)
MIke Zimmer
Anthony Lynn
Kyle Shanahan (no way, no matter what happened this year)
Doug Pederson
Jim Caldwell (they're very happy with mediocre)
Ron Rivera
Dan Quinn
Sean Payton
Pete Carroll
Sean McVay
MJW

Postby deltbucs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:39 am

McDermott should be gone for that bullshit he pulled with Tyrod.
deltbucs

Postby Crocaneers » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:42 am

None of you disappoint me .. and more looking for discussion as always. I actually started the thread based on an article (that I won't copy, post, quote, or reference) stating Del Rio was in the hot seat.

I really liked MJW's review of EVERY coach . .. I mean why not???

I have made a few adjustments .. conversations and adjustments will continue. I will hope to update every Tuesdayish
Crocaneers

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:42 am

deltbucs wrote:McDermott should be gone for that bullshit he pulled with Tyrod.

Moves like that can really lose a locker room and even a fanbase. It highlights that you as a coach and an organization have ulterior motives.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:08 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
deltbucs wrote:McDermott should be gone for that bullshit he pulled with Tyrod.

Moves like that can really lose a locker room and even a fanbase. It highlights that you as a coach and an organization have ulterior motives.

There's basically no explanation that makes it look better, either. Not after the way Peterman played. The only question is if the organization pushed the move (in which case, they're more likely not to count it against him) or it was his great idea.
MJW

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:22 pm

Hue is gone for sure, it sucks because I think he's a smart guy and a good coach but it's hard to justify 1-26 so far. I think John Fox is also getting fired and I think that was a forgone conclusion before the season even started barring a miracle. He was a lame duck, they didn't even tell him they wanted Trubisky until they made the move to trade up for him. I think he was kept to take the heat of an obvious rebuilding season and to be the scapegoat when it ended. Ben McAdoo is also a goner. If you think our season was disappointing, Giants fans were talking Super Bowl and weapons galore and they are even worse than we are. I think Pagano should get the benefit of the doubt with no Luck all year, but he probably won't. The failure of the Colts is on the FO failing to get any resemblance of talent around a franchise QB, but Chuck has been there a while and people are likely wanting change.
Miller4Prez64

Postby KiffininCanton » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:38 pm

I think Garrett is safer than others think in this thread.

They looked good enough pre suspension and injuries that they can sell themselves on the idea that if they come back next year suspension free and healthier they will be ready to make a run. If Jerry was willing to use a injury induced wreckage of a season as a excuse to get out of the Jason Garrett business, he would of done it 2 years ago when he had a chance.

I think Jerry really likes Garrett, he feels he gives him both competence at the position along with being a weak personality/political figure in the organization and media that won't challenge his power. Jerry has basically run his mouth about everything with that team to the media, including questioning coaching at times and Garrett just sits back and takes it.
KiffininCanton

Postby deltbucs » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:42 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

There's basically no explanation that makes it look better, either. Not after the way Peterman played. The only question is if the organization pushed the move (in which case, they're more likely not to count it against him) or it was his great idea.

That's the only way I don't want him fired if I'm a Bills fan.
deltbucs

Postby KiffininCanton » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:46 pm

Already dead at this point barring a miracle:

Pagano
McAdoo

Can still survive, but not looking good:

Jackson
Koetter
Fox
Lewis

Probably survive, but worth watching:

Joseph
Garrett
Gruden
Arians
Gase
Del Rio
McCarthy
Harbaugh
Bowles

possible surprise firings:

O'Brien (as an aside, if this happens, this should be the Glazers first call)
McDermott
Mularkey
Caldwell
KiffininCanton

Postby Super K » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:06 pm

Unless the Browns figure out someway/somehow to win 2-3 games Hue is done...no doubt about it..

Pagano and Fox are also out...those have just felt like forgone conclusions since the beginning of the year...almost like playing the season was just going through the motions..

McAdoo and DK are the wildcards imo...I could just as easily see them getting another year as I can see them getting canned..
Super K

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:34 pm

Super K wrote:McAdoo and DK are the wildcards imo...I could just as easily see them getting another year as I can see them getting canned..

Even though I've personally lost all confidence in Coach Koetter, I don't know if the Glazers have. I know they've asked for outside counsel on the direction this team is heading. So perhaps it comes down to how the team looks the rest of the way, since the playoffs are basically out of the question.

I do know that the Glazers expected this team to make the playoffs this season. It will depend on how serious of a failure they consider this to be.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Koetter isn't a head coach. He is a fine OC when he can focus on that but he is clearly over his head as a playcalling coach. Maybe he'd be fine as an OC if we hadn't gotten nervous about him going elsewhere, but that ship has sailed. Cut bait and bring in a head coach, but not one who calls plays unless he as a proven track record like Andy Reid or gasp Jon Gruden.
Ken Carson

Postby kaimaru » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:59 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:I think Garrett is safer than others think in this thread.

They looked good enough pre suspension and injuries that they can sell themselves on the idea that if they come back next year suspension free and healthier they will be ready to make a run. If Jerry was willing to use a injury induced wreckage of a season as a excuse to get out of the Jason Garrett business, he would of done it 2 years ago when he had a chance.

I think Jerry really likes Garrett, he feels he gives him both competence at the position along with being a weak personality/political figure in the organization and media that won't challenge his power. Jerry has basically run his mouth about everything with that team to the media, including questioning coaching at times and Garrett just sits back and takes it.

The last time JJ gave a coach a vote of confidence (Wade Phillips), he was gone just a couple of games later. So I think that's a warning to Garrett. Also there are rumors 2 weeks ago that JJ was looking for a new HC. My friend is Cowboy fanatic.....
kaimaru

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:11 pm

What about Andy Reid? One playoff win his whole tenure. A really talented squad. If he misses the playoffs after such a hot start I could see him getting cut.
Doctor

Postby KiffininCanton » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:44 pm

kaimaru wrote:
KiffininCanton wrote:I think Garrett is safer than others think in this thread.

The last time JJ gave a coach a vote of confidence (Wade Phillips), he was gone just a couple of games later. So I think that's a warning to Garrett. Also there are rumors 2 weeks ago that JJ was looking for a new HC. My friend is Cowboy fanatic.....

"the dreaded vote of confidence" gets overplayed. Almost anytime a media member ask a owner if they support the coach the owner will give them a vote of confidence (and always in cases they actually do support the coach). And in the cases where the coach gets fired, conformation bias kicks in and everybody says "see! It was the dreaded vote of confidence!"

There was rumors about Jerry looking for a new coach in 2012, 2013 and 2015 as well. Anytime the Cowboys have had a mediocre season there has been those rumors because of Jerry's history with coaches. But he has stuck with Garrett at times he didn't stick with other coaches. Garrett survived 3 straight 8-8 seasons to start his tenure and survived a 4-12 season in 2015. Not guaranteeing Garrett won't get fired, but he has been more Teflon with Jerry than previous coaches.
KiffininCanton

Postby KiffininCanton » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:50 pm

Doctor wrote:What about Andy Reid? One playoff win his whole tenure. A really talented squad. If he misses the playoffs after such a hot start I could see him getting cut.

Andy Reid is great working with QBs (see making McNabb look like a HOFer and AJ Feeley a competent starting QB) and overall competent as a HC, but he's not a guy that's going to get you over the top.

Reid is Schottenheimer like in looking too small for the moment in a big playoff game (especially when the game is tight in the 2nd half).
KiffininCanton

Postby Caradoc » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:31 am

Yeah, but at this point, Reid is a problem I'd like to have in Tampa
Caradoc

Postby KiffininCanton » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:58 am

Caradoc wrote:Yeah, but at this point, Reid is a problem I'd like to have in Tampa

agree

Reid would be great for where we are now as a franchise. Kansas City is in "get over the hump" mode like we were in 2001. Never going to happen, but if Kansas City fired him and we picked him up, it would be a win win for both teams.
KiffininCanton

Postby Doctor » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:14 am

While I'm firmly on the Don't Fire DK Wagon, if it was for Andy Reid....
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:15 am

Reid isn't going anywhere.
Bootz2004

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:36 am

KiffininCanton wrote:
Caradoc wrote:Yeah, but at this point, Reid is a problem I'd like to have in Tampa

agree

Reid would be great for where we are now as a franchise. Kansas City is in "get over the hump" mode like we were in 2001. Never going to happen, but if Kansas City fired him and we picked him up, it would be a win win for both teams.

It is very unlikely that the Chiefs will get rid if Reid. However, IF that was to happen ............I PRAY TO GOD THAT WE ARE NOT FOOL ENOUGH TO HIRE HIM!!!!!

I've mentioned this before, but imho; Andy Reid is one of if not the biggest OVER RATED nfl couches ever.

A move like this will irritate me beyond words!
bahamian:bucfan

Postby uscbucsfan » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:43 am

bahamian:bucfan wrote:
KiffininCanton wrote:
agree

It is very unlikely that the Chiefs will get rid if Reid. However, IF that was to happen ............I PRAY TO GOD THAT WE ARE NOT FOOL ENOUGH TO HIRE HIM!!!!!

I've mentioned this before, but imho; Andy Reid is one of if not the biggest OVER RATED nfl couches ever.

Many players, GMs, and coaches say Reid is one of the best coaches in the NFL. Some say he's 2nd to Belichick. That's subjective, but his record isn't.

He's only had 3 losing seasons. He got to the Super Bowl with the Eagles and consistently had them as a winner and in the playoffs.

Went to a bad (2-14) Chiefs team and instantly got them in the playoffs at 11-5. He made them one of the more talented rosters in the league going to the playoffs 3 times and always above .500.

I trust all that over your opinion.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:15 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Reid isn't going anywhere.

This ^^^
DreadNaught

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:39 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
bahamian:bucfan wrote:

Many players, GMs, and coaches say Reid is one of the best coaches in the NFL. Some say he's 2nd to Belichick. That's subjective, but his record isn't.

He's only had 3 losing seasons. He got to the Super Bowl with the Eagles and consistently had them as a winner and in the playoffs.

Went to a bad (2-14) Chiefs team and instantly got them in the playoffs at 11-5. He made them one of the more talented rosters in the league going to the playoffs 3 times and always above .500.

I trust all that over your opinion.

Andy Reid is a great football coach. He runs an organization, develops players and systems, and consistently builds a team that is more than the sum of its parts.

Yes, he has lost big games. But very rarely has he lost with the better team.
Ken Carson

Next

Return to Team Discussions