Switch to full style
Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Post a reply

Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:45 pm

Rice,Lynch and Barber named semifinalists for HOF

Re: Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:50 pm

Barber FTW!

Re: Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm

Just put all 3 of them in at once for the trifecta!

But Randy Moss, Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher all being there. I guess not.
Last edited by Kress on Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:55 pm

1. Rice
2. barber
3. Lynch

In that order

Re: Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:05 pm

Were it up to me, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens, and Ray Lewis would be the top three spots on my ballot. You can't tell the story of the NFL without mentioning those three players.

The next two spots? Either Faneca or Hutchinson as a shout-out to the offensive line, that's neck-and-neck for me. Finally, let's get brother John Lynch in. Why not?

Re: Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Disagree, sir. Barber deserves the nod over Lynch.

Re: Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:09 pm

Rocker wrote:Disagree, sir. Barber deserves the nod over Lynch.


I have no skin in that game. Just figured I'd put a Buc in.

Barber over Lynch? Why not.

Re: Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:11 pm

Would love to see all 3 but I think Barber first then Lynch

Re: Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:40 pm

Lynch has been hanging around in this conversation for a while. That's worth something, rightful or not.

Re: Hall of Fame

Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:13 pm

I would put them Barber, Rice, then Lynch. And frankly if I'm being objective I probably only cast a vote for Barber. Barber should absolutely be in. Rice COULD be in, but it's not a crime if he isn't. Lynch...I mean...Darren Woodson and Brian Dawkins should both be in before Lynch gets considered.

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:47 am

The more I think about it, Lynch can't be labeled as a system guy with the Bucs, like Barber always (unfairly) is, because he excelled with the Broncos, too. He has been an announcer, and is now a GM. He has been in this finalist conversation a couple of times. I know that those things aren't supposed to matter, but don't be naive. They do. This might actually be his year.

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:02 am

None of our Bucs will make it this year.

Like MJW said, I don't think Lynch goes in until Woodson and Dawkins get in.

Ronde SHOULD go in this year but too many voters will look at him and say "a system CB shouldn't be a 1st ballot HOFer." Idiots. Ronde will have to wait at least a year, maybe 2.

Glad to see Rice finally in the conversation. It's mind-numbing when you look at his numbers compared to someone like Michael Strahan that Rice isn't already in. He should already be in. But it'll still probably be another couple years.

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:14 am

Of the 3 Bucs Barber has the best resume, thus the easiest argument once the list gets chopped to the final 15. Barber was 3x All-Pro, 5x Pro-Bowler, SB Champ, redefined a position (NB) that is prevalent in todays NFL, the ONLY player in NFL history w/ 45+ INTs and 25+ sacks, and was an ironman checking the longevity box.

Simeon and Lynch will have to wait for others at their position to get in.

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:11 pm

What's the ole saying; "It is the Hall of Fame, not Hall of Very Good"?

None of the three should get in.

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:12 pm

PetePierson wrote:What's the ole saying; "It is the Hall of Fame, not Hall of Very Good"?

None of the three should get in.


This.

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:17 pm

The only one of the 3 who EVER gets in....

Barber

Rice and Lynch...no chance*


*If Lynch can somehow build a dynasty in SF...he will get in as an Executive

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:33 pm

StillCSG wrote:The only one of the 3 who EVER gets in....

Barber

Rice and Lynch...no chance*


*If Lynch can somehow build a dynasty in SF...he will get in as an Executive


All of this .. and by dynasty, that's more than let's say a couple of winning seasons and a playoff appearance?

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:44 pm

If I was to have one of them now at their prime....it would be Simeon Rice all day long.
Man was a beast

Re: Hall of Fame

Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:56 am

.irishHITMAN4rent wrote:If I was to have one of them now at their prime....it would be Simeon Rice all day long.
Man was a beast


This is truth. Although if that's our standard, I'd want Bo Jackson and he's not going anywhere near the Hall.

Re: Hall of Fame

Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Rice was a run game liability (even by edge pass rusher standards) and would always give you the occasional not give a crap effort game

in order of deserving

Barber
Lynch
Rice

I do think even as Bucs fans, Barber gets underappreciated. Such a smart player who made so many subtle plays that don't show up in that stat book or even get noticed by the untrained eye watching.

Re: Hall of Fame

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:07 pm

I've always been of the opinion Lynch was vastly overrated. With all the talent on that team around him, he had a lot of freedom to make plays and a lot of opportunities to make plays. I will say he seemed to be a key leader though.

Rice is definitely overrated by fans here. He was a damn good rusher, but not the dominant force some make him out to be, and he was the definition of one-dimensional.

Re: Hall of Fame

Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:10 am

Caradoc wrote:I've always been of the opinion Lynch was vastly overrated. With all the talent on that team around him, he had a lot of freedom to make plays and a lot of opportunities to make plays. I will say he seemed to be a key leader though.

Rice is definitely overrated by fans here. He was a damn good rusher, but not the dominant force some make him out to be, and he was the definition of one-dimensional.

Vastly overrated on two completely different teams? I beg to differ.

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:45 pm

So Everson Walls gets the nod as a HOF finalist over Ronde?

Walls: 3 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl, 57 INT, 1 TD, 0 forced fumbles, 3 sacks.

Ronde: 5 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl, 47 INT, 12 TD, 15 forced fumbles, 28 sacks.

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:59 pm

I don't know enough about Walls to talk intelligently about it, but a lot of times stats don't tell the whole story. Guys don't get stats because opponents steer clear of them. :shrug:

Re: Hall of Fame

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:03 pm

pewterpirates wrote:So Everson Walls gets the nod as a HOF finalist over Ronde?

Walls: 3 Pro Bowls, 1 All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl, 57 INT, 1 TD, 0 forced fumbles, 3 sacks.

Ronde: 5 Pro Bowls, 3 All-Pro, 1 Super Bowl, 47 INT, 12 TD, 15 forced fumbles, 28 sacks.


Market name recognition

Re: Hall of Fame

Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:21 am

I've got Randy Moss and Ray Lewis as the mortal locks. I think it's finally Terrell Owens' year and I've got Urlacher and Hutchinson joining them.

I think Ronde and Rice should both be in before Lynch, but it doesn't matter this year.

Re: Hall of Fame

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:11 am

terrytate wrote:I've got Randy Moss and Ray Lewis as the mortal locks. I think it's finally Terrell Owens' year and I've got Urlacher and Hutchinson joining them.

I think Ronde and Rice should both be in before Lynch, but it doesn't matter this year.


Moss, Lewis, Urlacher, and Hutchinson should all be first-ballot guys. Those are four of the towering figures of the NFL of the era.

Owens SHOULD have been a first ballot guy, but NFL Writers have the sensibilities of high school girls and didn't like him personally.

Ronde should have been in first ballot, but with THIS ballot, I understand. Though I have no clue how he's not a finalist. He deserves in before Lynch (eventually) and Rice (I don't see it.)

Walls is not a Hall Of Famer. It's a "stats don't tell the story" thing with him, but not in a good way. The guy got thrown at a ton, and beaten a ton.

Edge should get in, but not first ballot.
Tony Boselli should get in for the same reason Terrell Davis did. He was an absolute force of nature for a short period of time, but long enough.

Re: Hall of Fame

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:11 pm

Kress wrote:I don't know enough about Walls to talk intelligently about it, but a lot of times stats don't tell the whole story. Guys don't get stats because opponents steer clear of them. :shrug:


No, stats don't tell the whole story ... but when there's such a discrepancy between several categories, it's very telling.


I think if Ronde played in Dallas or New York & had the same career he had in Tampa, he'd go in as first ballot.

Re: Hall of Fame

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:12 pm

MJW wrote:Rice (I don't see it.)


Just curious why you don't see it with Rice?



He's got similar (some better) numbers than Strahan, who went in on his 2nd year of eligibility.

I know Strahan "did it" over a longer period of time, but Rice's best 3-4 years were just as deadly as Strahan's.

Re: Hall of Fame

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:18 pm

The fact that TO is not in makes the HOF as credible as NCAAF rankings.
Post a reply