I am SICK and DAMMED tired of watching TWO things...

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
I am SICK and DAMMED tired of watching TWO things...

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:14 pm

I'm sick and dammed tired of watching two things:

1) Opponents converting third and long, over and over and over again; and

2) Bucs negative running plays. Holy ****, can someone on the OL block somebody on a rushing play?

Dammit. Just terrible. Miserable. Back-breaking crap.
DanTurksGhost

Re: I am SICK and DAMMED tired of watching TWO things...

Postby Agent Orange » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:31 pm

1. 3rd and long defense is the worst I have ever seen.
2. They are bringing 8 and 9 in the box. Koetter’s playcalling is brutal. We need a new LT and move Marpet back to guard. So new LT and new center. Use Donovan Smith as a backup T/guard.
Agent Orange

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Agent Orange wrote:1. 3rd and long defense is the worst I have ever seen.
2. They are bringing 8 and 9 in the box. Koetter’s playcalling is brutal. We need a new LT and move Marpet back to guard. So new LT and new center. Use Donovan Smith as a backup T/guard.

Donovan Smith is a dumpster fire at LT. Maybe he'd be a passable guard. I'm okay with Marpet at center. I think he'll get better and better. But we only have two legit starting O-linemen right now: Dot and Marpet. They can pass block fairly well overall, with the exception of Smith of course, but they absolutely cannot consistently move guys for the run game.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Cheb » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:43 pm

The third down defense is to play soft ass zone. When combined with no pressure, it's easy completions.

As far as the running game, you can run into loaded boxes, but you have to run intelligently. We are not running intelligently.

As for Smith... he'd make for a good guard. A tackle though, he is not.
Cheb

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Cheb wrote:

The third down defense is to play soft ass zone. When combined with no pressure, it's easy completions.

As far as the running game, you can run into loaded boxes, but you have to run intelligently. We are not running intelligently.

I love running out of a spread formation, something we don't seem to ever do. It can be quite effective against 8-9 man fronts.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Cheb » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:01 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I love running out of a spread formation, something we don't seem to ever do. It can be quite effective against 8-9 man fronts.

The maddening part is we have done that this year with success... and we never go back to it.

Koetter is crazy.
Cheb

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:53 pm

Cheb wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

The maddening part is we have done that this year with success... and we never go back to it.

Koetter is crazy.

Yep just like Howard today in the first half then nothing
Jason Bourne

Postby BayAreaBucFan25 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Koetter needs to give up the play calling. It's way to predictable. If I can guess a bubble screen to sims with 5 reciever sets I know the opposing defense can too. It's the same play we ran in 2015 against Houston.
BayAreaBucFan25

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 pm

BayAreaBucFan25 wrote:Koetter needs to give up the play calling. It's way to predictable. If I can guess a bubble screen to sims with 5 reciever sets I know the opposing defense can too. It's the same play we ran in 2015 against Houston.

That play action pass to OJ is about to be used to the point of becoming ineffective.
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:55 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
BayAreaBucFan25 wrote:Koetter needs to give up the play calling. It's way to predictable. If I can guess a bubble screen to sims with 5 reciever sets I know the opposing defense can too. It's the same play we ran in 2015 against Houston.

That play action pass to OJ is about to be used to the point of becoming ineffective.

Yep, it was "semi" covered today with a safety staying deep..it's not gonna work much longer..
Super K

Postby LavonteDavid54 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:05 am

100% correct sir!!! Like I said during the game our defense usually puts us in a catch up / panic mode right out of the gate most times. This kind of kills a coach's game plan.I've been hard on Dirk like most , but if Cutler didn't suck so bad and Moore started? He would have felt instant pressure to " catch up". No matter who you are, when a defense knows this, its much harder to pass.Thus Smith gets exposed, etc.A good off line would give a solid run game, which would open many more options for Dirk and the offense.The Dline ? I try to hold off judgement as best I can in most cases and look at all vantage points but 3rd and long ?? We get crushed.I understand no sacks maybe on quick slants\screens etc but 3rd n long is when a QB usually has to take a 5 step drop n wait a little bit and we've gotten ZERO pressure now for the most part of last 12 years.Maybe Dirk saw them not stopping Moore, felt momentum swinging big time and thought " last thing we can do is force something, TO and bam"! Give the game away indefinitely " again I know he's not been great,but if it isn't the kicker ,Winston, then its the defense not always allowing him to maybe call the ideal game.Especially when you can't control the line and get a decent run game.
LavonteDavid54

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:53 am

To me, its as if we spend so much time trying to get our players to execute our offensive and defensive game plan even though they dont think about teams having it covered even if we do.

Weve been studied - Smith - Dirk act like you got a clue.
mdb1958

Postby deltbucs » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:58 am

Cheb wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

Koetter is crazy.

Just like we have been successful passing out of heavy sets but will only do it once a game.
deltbucs

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:54 am

I suspected that also when I saw the formation. I couldn't see Koetter trusting Fitzpatrick to put the ball in the air knowing he'd be under instant heavy pressure in the empty set. It had to be a screen, and Sims was the most obvious candidate.

We have two nightmare matchup tight ends AND a third tight end in Stocker who can stay in and block. Absolutely astounding we don't pass out of 13 personnel with regularity. Force the defense to go light and run at them, or force their linebackers and safeties to cover Howard and Brate. Either way, we have a matchup advantage.
MJW

Postby Bucs N Beers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:53 am

The other thing that frustrated me about the Sims screen this past week was that the other WR on his side, the blocker, was DJax. He’s trying to block some, but he’s a featherweight. Evans, Godwin, Howard, Brate are all better candidates there. Unless you’re going to fake the screen and send DJax deep there, the player set up failed.

And as far as the tight end matchup nightmare, I thought that was the point in drafting OJ. 12 personnel matchup nightmare offense.

Not to bring Gruden into this debate (I’m going to), but I’d love to see what Gruden would do with OJ. Motion him all over the field, get him lined up on a slow linebacker and burn him.
Last edited by Bucs N Beers on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bucs N Beers

Postby Super K » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:57 am

Bucs N Beers wrote:The other thing that frustrated me about the Sims screen this past week was that the other WR on his side, the blocker, was DJax. He’s trying to block some, but he’s a featherweight. Evans, Godwin, Howard, Brate are all. Enter candidates there. Unless you’re going to fake the screen and send DJax deep there, the player set up failed.

And as far as the right end matchup nightmare, I thought that was the point in drafting OJ. 12 personnel matchup nightmare offense.

Not to bring Gruden into this debate (I’m going to), but I’d love to see what Gruden would do with OJ. Motion him all over the field, get him lined up on a slow linebacker and burn him.

Holy MDB this was a tough read...

Haha..
Super K

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:30 am

The pedestals built at my expense must be on sale! They are popping up everywhere.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:40 am

mdb1958 wrote:The pedestals built at my expense must be on sale! They are popping up everywhere.

All in good fun man...happy turkey day
Super K

Postby Bucs N Beers » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:07 am

Super K wrote:
Holy MDB this was a tough read...

Haha..

Lol. No more posting before coffee....
Bucs N Beers

Return to Team Discussions