Rapid Reactions: Week 10 win vs Jets

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Rapid Reactions: Week 10 win vs Jets

Postby Caradoc » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:58 am

It says, for one day, they sucked worse than us.

It also probably says that even the Jets took us for a joke opponent/easy win and didn't prep right. If we played Cleveland this year they'd probably have us circled as their win.
Caradoc

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:29 am

One bad team beat another bad team is what I saw.

Bucs deserve some credit for stopping the run and finally getting home on the pass rush. But the Jets offense is really bad so I'm not going to carried way.

It was the best game we've put together in a while. But we still can't run or execute on offense consistently without shooting ourselves in the foot.

We were good enough to beat a bad football team inside our own stadium today.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:00 am

DreadNaught wrote:One bad team beat another bad team is what I saw.

Bucs deserve some credit for stopping the run and finally getting home on the pass rush. But the Jets offense is really bad so I'm not going to carried way.

It was the best game we've put together in a while. But we still can't run or execute on offense consistently without shooting ourselves in the foot.

Are you talking about the same Jets team that beat the Bills? At that time you were clamoring about how good their defense was when we played them.

Maybe your just upset that they have been getting more out of McCown than we have Winston.

I saw a unified effort from our d-line, yep that is what I saw!

Also I want to mention that we held them to 130 yards passing until garbage time.
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Doctor wrote:I'm not attacking you, I'd never do that Cheb. :drinkingcheers:

I'm attacking your argument which is a total monday morning QB. Perhaps the Jets stuffed the run because it was predictable. Perhaps it was- because as you pointed out- the OL was hurt and unprepared. Likely a good mix of both.

Here are our first ten 1st down runs
7 yards
3 yards
1 yards
7 yards
4 yards
4 yards
1 yards
1 yards
-1 yards
14 yards* (penalty)
2 yards

This is what prompted you to make your comment about sticking with the run and rightfully so. Having Fitz throw an INT on first down right after a turnover probably didn't help inspire much confidence. There was ONE thing that was going to cost us this game- turnovers. Sure the Jets picked up on our running on first down eventually and started stuffing it in the third quarter- your totally right. Should DK have changed it after that? IDK, but personally, I was all for the drive that milked HALF of the entire 4th quarter. Those first down runs:
-4 yards
5 yards
0 yards
5 yards
4 yards
... and oh yeah, the drive ended with a TD and sealed the game.

So you can torture the stats all you want but the truth is that running the ball, controlling the clock, and reducing FitzTragic turnovers was the key to victory today. Sure, the injured and unprepared line struggled at times, but why would you possibly want that same line protecting your INT throwing QB instead?

Sums up the game perfectly. Fans don't understand the adjustment aspect to football. It's not always pretty. Trying to play outside of the flow of a game can cost you at times. And plus no one whines when 1st down runs get positive yardage.

Bingo. Funny how no one was crying when our "predictable first down running" milked half the 4th quarter, finished with a TD, and practically locked up the win. And people act like DK's scheme isn't about exploiting the play action, it lives off the PA! Unfortunately, despite getting us a W, Fitz is not the kind of QB you want taking deep PA shots.... or any shots.... you pretty much just want to avoid Fitz throwing INTs altogether.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:02 am

mdb1958 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:One bad team beat another bad team is what I saw.

Are you talking about the same Jets team that beat the Bills? At that time you were clamoring about how good their defense was when we played them.

Maybe your just upset that they have been getting more out of McCown than we have Winston.

I saw a unified effort from our d-line, yep that is what I saw!

Also I want to mention that we held them to 130 yards passing until garbage time.

This Bills defense had not been the same since trading away Marcel Dareus. They gave up 200yds rushing to the Jets, and 300yds rushing yesterday to the Saints.

The Jets are a bad offense. Kudos to our defense for not making them look better than what they are. That is certainly a positive step.

Now lets see if we can take it on the road vs another bad offense next week in Miami.

Our defense and special teams both played well and we coached around our offense and did a good job playing field position vs an opponent that we knew couldn't make enough plays with their offense.

I'm happy we won and had an almost complete game. But it was complimentary football and that is great step for this Bucs team. I just don't think yesterdays performance was good enough to beat most teams is all. But hopefully we can build on it as we get Mike Evans back to help the offense.
DreadNaught

Postby BucaRican » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:50 pm

Did Doug Martin really rush 20 times? I didn't think it was that much but when I looked at my horrible fantasy team it says he did. Felt like every time he rushed he was running into a line men or a dline guy was in the back field.
BucaRican

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:07 pm

The biggest takeaway from this game: the defense didn't quit this week. They came ready to play and they played hard, even when the offense continued to let them down. They could have given up, could have mailed it in, and they didn't.

And I loved Kwon ripping Baker's ass on the sideline. Even though I found Baker's penalty forgivable, I love the passion and leadership from Kwon, and I love Ayers standing up for Baker after it happened. Guys can get into it on the sideline in the heat of battle and it doesn't have a negative effect on team chemistry.

I saw a defense that still wants to win games. I wasn't sure if they'd given up based on what I've seen in previous weeks. It's good to know they haven't.
DanTurksGhost

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:56 am

Will somebody please post Baker's roughing the passer play? I totally missed it and I'd like to see it.
mdb1958

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:40 am

mdb1958 wrote:Will somebody please post Baker's roughing the passer play? I totally missed it and I'd like to see it.

He went low and around the legs from what I remember, wasn’t bad I thought
Jason Bourne

Postby DanTurksGhost » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Will somebody please post Baker's roughing the passer play? I totally missed it and I'd like to see it.

He went low and around the legs from what I remember, wasn’t bad I thought

Live, from the stands, it looked like he was blocked to the ground and momentum rolled him into McCown's legs. On watching the DVR version I failed to double-check my initial impression. My thought at the time was that they could easily have not called it since it appeared to me it was as as result of the block. It wasn't like he just came flying off the edge and dove at his legs.

That's why I called it forgivable, but of course from Kwon's POV he couldn't see exactly how it happened, so he probably felt like it may have been blatant -- thus his ripping into Baker and Ayers coming to Baker's defense. I love the passion and leadership from Kwon, calling out a teammate on his squad for making a costly penalty (they were off the field if not for that flag).
DanTurksGhost

Postby Sammich » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:11 pm

And Kwon's actions are exactly what this defense has been lacking- fire and accountability. Back in the glory days if someone on defense screwed up there would be guys taking a number and waiting for their turn to rip that guy's ass.
Sammich

Postby Buc2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:29 pm

Wasn’t a great game, but it was a win, and when you’re attending said game, a win is paramount. It was damn fun watching the defense though.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm

I like the PR report on our defense. Ryan Smith has been improving considering he is about as green as Evans. I'm withholding just how much we can improve.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 am

mdb1958 wrote:I like the PR report on our defense. Ryan Smith has been improving considering he is about as green as Evans. I'm withholding just how much we can improve.

Ryan Smith looked like a nightmare of Wansleyian proportions early in the season. Seeing how much he's progressed in a short time has been really encouraging. I'm not ready to pencil him in as a starter in 2018, but I do expect him to be top four corner and see the field a ton, regardless of who we add.

Evans is clearly a better athlete than NFL safety right now, but that's true of most safeties when they enter the league (unless they're flat-out too unathletic, that is.) What's encouraging is, he's such a gifted athlete that the plays his brain is costing him right now, he still almost makes because of his athleticism.

If you do the math, even if things break the right way with our trio of young DBs (those two and VHIII), we're still going to need to add 1-2 corners and a safety this offseason. And that's the good scenario. Lots of work to do.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:15 am

MJW wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:I like the PR report on our defense. Ryan Smith has been improving considering he is about as green as Evans. I'm withholding just how much we can improve.

Ryan Smith looked like a nightmare of Wansleyian proportions early in the season. Seeing how much he's progressed in a short time has been really encouraging. I'm not ready to pencil him in as a starter in 2018, but I do expect him to be top four corner and see the field a ton, regardless of who we add.

Evans is clearly a better athlete than NFL safety right now, but that's true of most safeties when they enter the league (unless they're flat-out too unathletic, that is.) What's encouraging is, he's such a gifted athlete that the plays his brain is costing him right now, he still almost makes because of his athleticism.

If you do the math, even if things break the right way with our trio of young DBs (those two and VHIII), we're still going to need to add 1-2 corners and a safety this offseason. And that's the good scenario. Lots of work to do.

I'm just trying to talk myself into not seeing a DB nightmare come Sunday.
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:23 am

mdb1958 wrote:
MJW wrote:

Cutler HAS looked better the last few weeks, unfortunately. I would have rather gotten him in September. But I still maintain faith he'll do Jay Cutler things.
MJW

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:38 am

mdb1958 wrote:
MJW wrote:

Wouldn’t be surprised if VH3 didn’t play. Think he had a mri on his hammy ?
Jason Bourne

Previous

Return to Team Discussions