when is it assault

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
when is it assault

Postby snookdlb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 am

When is it necessary for the police to become involved in an on the field incident. Obviously in the case of a death i.e. stabbing etc. In your opinion where is the line drawn? If what Mike Evans did on Sunday happened on the other side of the wall he certainly would of been detained if not charged with assault.
1. How about if a player charges one of the fans in the stands or punches a cameraman?
2. Do the police make the call? should the NFL have a say?
3. Does wearing the uniform give you immunity?
I’m just curious to hear other thoughts on the subject.
snookdlb

Re: when is it assault

Postby deltbucs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:10 am

snookdlb wrote:When is it necessary for the police to become involved in an on the field incident. Obviously in the case of a death i.e. stabbing etc. In your opinion where is the line drawn? If what Mike Evans did on Sunday happened on the other side of the wall he certainly would of been detained if not charged with assault.
1. How about if a player charges one of the fans in the stands or punches a cameraman?

There is assault on every play during a game. Especially if you play behind the Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive line.
deltbucs

Postby bucfanclw » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:22 am

I thought this thread was about what the Bucs are putting the fans through...
bucfanclw

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:30 am

snookdlb wrote:When is it necessary for the police to become involved in an on the field incident. Obviously in the case of a death i.e. stabbing etc. In your opinion where is the line drawn? If what Mike Evans did on Sunday happened on the other side of the wall he certainly would of been detained if not charged with assault.

This could be part of an interesting debate but it seems that anything confined within a sport doesn't follow the real rules of society.

Some examples- fighting like Evans or AJ Green yesterday, a baseball player hitting a ball and breaking something, baseball player losing his bat and it hitting a fan, basketball players running into/landing on fans or cameramen

Hell, we even had the Malice in the Palace, I don't think any players were charged then were they?

EDIT: Turns out they were. I guess this is a decent answer to OP's question.

"All five players who were charged pleaded no contest to the charges. On September 23, 2005, Artest, Jackson, and O'Neal were all sentenced to one year on probation, 60 hours of community service, a $250 fine, and anger management counseling. A week later, Harrison received the same sentence, and on October 7, 2005, Johnson, the last player to be charged, received a similar sentence (he was ordered to serve 100 hours of community service)."
Deuce

Postby Cheb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:33 am

deltbucs wrote:

There is assault on every play during a game. Especially if you play behind the Tampa Bay Buccaneers offensive line.

This.

Literally every collision in football is assault. Every block, every tackle, every contested catch.
Cheb

Postby Teitan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:38 am

The term you guys are looking for is”battery”.
Teitan

Postby NYBF » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 am

snookdlb wrote: If what Mike Evans did on Sunday happened on the other side of the wall he certainly would of been detained if not charged with assault.

*would have

Do you live in a country club or something?
NYBF

Postby Noles1724 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:50 am

I always had this question when it came to the hockey fights.. for one, if I was an owner, no way in hell do I want other players punching my investments in the face.. not to mention just because it's on ice it makes throwing punches legal.
Noles1724

Postby acmillis » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:25 pm

My guess is that there is something written in the CBA to protect players from chargers while participating in on field activities
acmillis

Postby IronDog » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:44 am

deltbucs wrote:

It really has been offensive!
IronDog

Postby Doctor » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 am

Interesting point. Why are two consenting adults fighting in a ring legal but two fightinging a parking lot not?
Doctor

Postby acmillis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 am

Doctor wrote:Interesting point. Why are two consenting adults fighting in a ring legal but two fightinging a parking lot not?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
acmillis

Postby Doctor » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:50 am

acmillis wrote:
Doctor wrote:Interesting point. Why are two consenting adults fighting in a ring legal but two fightinging a parking lot not?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not really. Two nobodies fighting in a ring in a broke ass gym in Brooklyn is still legal.
Doctor

Postby DanTurksGhost » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:45 pm

Ever been in a pile? Assaults every single time.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Babeinbucland » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:21 pm

Intent
Babeinbucland

Postby NYBF » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:

Intent

Two consenting adults fighting in a parking lot is legal until one decides he's butthurt and calls the cops.
NYBF

Postby The Outsider » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:02 pm

NYBF wrote:
Babeinbucland wrote:Intent

Two consenting adults fighting in a parking lot is legal until one decides he's butthurt and calls the cops.

That's not really true though. If a cop is driving by and sees it they're stopping and someone is getting arrested. That's like me saying my pot possession is legal unless I'm caught
The Outsider

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:17 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:Ever been in a pile? Assaults every single time.

Wonder what that was like back in the Conrad Dobler days ? No rules back then I think
Jason Bourne

Postby PanteraCanes » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:58 pm

acmillis wrote:My guess is that there is something written in the CBA to protect players from chargers while participating in on field activities

So the NFL rules over rule the state and federal laws?
PanteraCanes

Postby NYBF » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:04 pm

The Outsider wrote:
NYBF wrote:

That's not really true though. If a cop is driving by and sees it they're stopping and someone is getting arrested. That's like me saying my pot possession is legal unless I'm caught

ehhh.... I've seen a bunch of fights where the cops come, turn on the lights, people scatter, and they leave everyone alone.
NYBF

Postby acmillis » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:04 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:
acmillis wrote:My guess is that there is something written in the CBA to protect players from chargers while participating in on field activities

So the NFL rules over rule the state and federal laws?

Would one of the parties have to take action to press charges against the other? If so, they yes, my GUESS, is that somewhere in the CBA, most likely in lawyer speak, there probably is language stating that players will not press charges against one another for actions during games blah blah blah.
acmillis

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:11 pm

This thread is an assault on common sense. :roll:
DreadNaught

Postby The Outsider » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:58 pm

NYBF wrote:
The Outsider wrote:

ehhh.... I've seen a bunch of fights where the cops come, turn on the lights, people scatter, and they leave everyone alone.

Sure, and people get away with marijuana possession all of the time, but subjectivity doesn't make it legal. I enjoy being pedantic.

And to be clear I am in no way arguing that people be brought up on battery charges for dirty hits in a football game.
The Outsider

Postby DanTurksGhost » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:Ever been in a pile? Assaults every single time.

Wonder what that was like back in the Conrad Dobler days ? No rules back then I think

No rules in the pile forever. Guys poking eyes, grabbing and squeezing your nuts, just about anything you can think of.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Babeinbucland » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:31 pm

NYBF wrote:
Babeinbucland wrote:Intent

That is a big assumption. You don’t think more often one attacks and the other attacks back? Do you really think they sit down and work out the terms and then fight? lol
Babeinbucland

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:23 am

I can recall a few instances where the cops were involved with hockey games, though I'm pretty sure it was only in Canada, and that the stick was used as a weapon. I might be making this up, though.

If we treated any of the major sports the way we do everyday life, there'd be arrests after every game. Imagine deliberately hitting someone in the back with a 90 MPH baseball, or throwing an elbow into someone's ribs, or hitting a hockey puck 100 MPH and someone's head, or literally anything that happens on the gridiron, in any other context in society.

It's a really good question where the line gets drawn.
MJW

Return to Team Discussions