Who do you want to replace Koetter

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Who do you want to replace Koetter

Postby Babeinbucland » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:22 pm

Short term? Long term?
Babeinbucland

Re: Who do you want to replace Koetter

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:25 pm

Call me stubborn, but I'm still not convinced it's the right move. However, if he's canned, I would like Josh McDaniels. I think that he is going to become a hell of a Head Coach in his next go at it.
Deja Entendu

Postby Wharf Rat » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:46 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:However, if he's canned, I would like Josh McDaniels. I think that he is going to become a hell of a Head Coach in his next go at it.

What makes you think that?
Wharf Rat

Postby sanka » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:55 pm

Funny how Dirk got the position in the first place.. like he is some hot shot coach that everyone was clamoring for. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was a reason Atlanta Falcons fired both Koetter and Mike Smith. ...they got better on defense and great on offense...

Bucs need a defensive minded coach and a good offensive coordinator that can work with a young QB.
sanka

Postby UbuntuBuc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:48 am

I think Schiano and his discipline is just what this team needs.

:mrgreen:
UbuntuBuc

Postby The Outsider » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:08 am

sanka wrote:Funny how Dirk got the position in the first place.. like he is some hot shot coach that everyone was clamoring for. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There was a reason Atlanta Falcons fired both Koetter and Mike Smith. ...they got better on defense and great on offense...

Bucs need a defensive minded coach and a good offensive coordinator that can work with a young QB.

Yeah, they've sure been phenomenal this season.
The Outsider

Postby BCULAW » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:09 am

I was not in favor of firing Koetter 2 week’s ago, but the last 2 games has proven to me that he’s lost the locker room. I’m not sure any coach can recover from that. You almost have to move on at this point. I’ll admit I’m oddly curious to see what Gruden could do with this group. Unlike many, I think the offense can be a very productive unit and I still have faith in Winston. But, I don’t think Winston is ready to be the focal point and I don’t think he’s ready to be the central personality in the locker room. If he (or Kwon) is the “big dog” at the ripe old age of 23, then we have problems - and we all know now that we do. These are young players with a lot of positive qualities and potential, but both lack the requisite experience and credibility in the league that only time and success can provide. Neither have either. Gruden would immediately take over as “big dog” at OBP, and would give our young core players the opportunity to develop into real leaders.

I think Harbaugh is another option that could have a similar impact. Regardless of who it is, I believe the team need a HC with a strong personality that can take the primary leadership reigns back from the players. We’ve had a decade of losing because the locker room has been devoid of talent and credible leadership. We’re getting closer in terms of talent, but need a strong, credible leader to right the ship.
BCULAW

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:36 am

Babeinbucland wrote:Short term? Long term?

Do we do long term?
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:50 am

BCULAW wrote:I was not in favor of firing Koetter 2 week’s ago, but the last 2 games has proven to me that he’s lost the locker room.

There's a reason every HC here has "lost the locker room" after a rough start- ownership. What's that, we're 2-4? Guess this season is a wash and we'll have a whole new HC soon. No point in respecting this guy or learning his play book, I'll wait for the next one.
Doctor

Postby Sammich » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:58 am

Short term- I don't like the idea of firing a coach mid season. Anything can happen and it just looks bad on the franchise IMO.

Long term- I would say Gruden. It would make a nice homecoming type story and he has the ring and credentials to silence the rabble. It would really be a perfect fit. Even our current receivers have similar traits to what he had success with before- Evans is Keyshawn on steroids, Hump is similar to Ike Hilliard, Djax/Galloway, and Godwin could be Joe J. I would also be ok if he wanted Raheem Morris as his DC (heard somewhere he might want that). I always liked him and felt his failure was due to being promoted from position coach to head coach and missing the important coordinator step.

Harbaugh would also be a good choice, but I don't see him leaving his current job.

Not sure on the others. To me Gruden would be plans A, B, and C so I would have to put some thought into D.
Sammich

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 am

Short term: Anyone EXCEPT MIKE SMITH

Long term: Gruden, Brian Billick, John Harbough, or Josh Mcdaniel
bahamian:bucfan

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 am

Nobody. Stick with Koetter. The ****ing kids on this team need to grow up themselves and take some personal responsibilities for their actions
beardmcdoug

Postby acmillis » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:28 am

bahamian:bucfan wrote:

If Baltimore fired him, I'd love this.
acmillis

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:34 am

acmillis wrote:

If Baltimore fired him, I'd love this.

My bad. I meant the other Harbough brother coaching Michigan.
bahamian:bucfan

Postby Mex-Buc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:40 am

acmillis wrote:If Baltimore fired him, I'd love this.

Any of these Harbough would be great, however I don't think any of these will change teams.

Let's go back to Gruden, this is the best roster (In talent) he would've had.
Mex-Buc

Postby Stephenip12 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:46 am

No to a re-thread coach. I want one of those young innovative coaches.
Stephenip12

Postby tjax03 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:03 am

Mex-Buc wrote:

Any of these Harbough would be great, however I don't think any of these will change teams.

Gruden's offense is worst and more archaic than koetters

Spider 3 Y Banana doesnt work anymore.

I say Harbaugh or get a guy who has been a head coach before with the hopes that he hires a young mind that can keep up with the offenses of today
tjax03

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:04 am

Mex-Buc wrote:

SURELY you meant just on offense.

No way this roster has more talent than a defense loaded with HOFers....
pewterpirates

Postby Cheb » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:41 am

tjax03 wrote:
Mex-Buc wrote:

I say Harbaugh or get a guy who has been a head coach before with the hopes that he hires a young mind that can keep up with the offenses of today

Gruden's offense has its roots in West Coast principles, which started in the 80s. Koetter's is from the 70s.

And teams run iterations of Spider 3 Y Banana every Sunday.
Cheb

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:49 am

What would you guys think about a "football guru" coming in somewhere between the owner/GM/coach? Kind of like what Coughlin is doing in Jacksonville. It seems to be working for them and I think you can see his fingerprints on the team. I know the Browns hired Holmgren in a similar capacity but it didn't work out for them. I'm not aware of any other examples.
Deuce

Postby MRM » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:58 am

BCULAW wrote:I was not in favor of firing Koetter 2 week’s ago, but the last 2 games has proven to me that he’s lost the locker room. I’m not sure any coach can recover from that. You almost have to move on at this point. I’ll admit I’m oddly curious to see what Gruden could do with this group. Unlike many, I think the offense can be a very productive unit and I still have faith in Winston. But, I don’t think Winston is ready to be the focal point and I don’t think he’s ready to be the central personality in the locker room. If he (or Kwon) is the “big dog” at the ripe old age of 23, then we have problems - and we all know now that we do. These are young players with a lot of positive qualities and potential, but both lack the requisite experience and credibility in the league that only time and success can provide. Neither have either. Gruden would immediately take over as “big dog” at OBP, and would give our young core players the opportunity to develop into real leaders.

I think Harbaugh is another option that could have a similar impact. Regardless of who it is, I believe the team need a HC with a strong personality that can take the primary leadership reigns back from the players. We’ve had a decade of losing because the locker room has been devoid of talent and credible leadership. We’re getting closer in terms of talent, but need a strong, credible leader to right the ship.

I'm with you except I'm not quit ready to see Koetter gone. I agree he's lost the locker room. Both sides of the ball are a mess. But ever since Gruden was fired, it's been a 2 years and out coaching merry-go-round. That's not good for any organization.
MRM

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Cheb wrote:
tjax03 wrote:

Gruden's offense has its roots in West Coast principles, which started in the 80s. Koetter's is from the 70s.

And teams run iterations of Spider 3 Y Banana every Sunday.

So much THIS ^^^

Calling Gruden's offense "more archaic" just demonstrates a complete lack of knowledge. Look at most of the top offenses in the NFL this year and who are considered the best 'offensive minds' in the game, many of the names were brought up and still use WCO principles.

The thing I like most about Gruden is that he's a football coach and leader of men. If we do move on from Koetter I think that is the type of HC we need. Someone that demands respect from the players just by walking in the door and will push these guys to be their best.

I like Koetter, and even Mike Smith to a lesser degree. But the players just are not responding. There really is no other way to explain how flat we come out every single game this season. Perhaps they are 'too nice' and there is no culture of accountability at OBP? I think it's important to be a 'players coach' but that only works if players feel they have to be accountable or else it ends in disaster.

I don't want to fire Koetter just for the sake of 'making a change'. But if it was for a Gruden or Harbaugh type of established HC than I could certainly get on board. I just think the issue with this team right isn't just the coaching and more to do with the mindset/culture inside the locker room.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Either McDaniels or Schwartz. McDaniels because he'd be with Winston long term rather than OC's changing every few/several years. Schwartz because I am sick to death of the idiotic passive defenses we've trotted out the last 4 years.
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:09 pm

tjax03 wrote:
Mex-Buc wrote:

You're an idiot. Stop pretending you know football when you clearly don't.

You want to see Gruden's system? Watch New England, Philly, Kansas City, Green Bay. You want to see Spider 3 Y Banana? Watch an NFL game, stupid.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Caradoc wrote:Either McDaniels or Schwartz. McDaniels because he'd be with Winston long term rather than OC's changing every few/several years. Schwartz because I am sick to death of the idiotic passive defenses we've trotted out the last 4 years.

We should've hired Schwartz instead of Mike Smith. He was my (as well as many others here) preference at the time. But the Koetter-Smith connection/history was what it was.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Doctor wrote:
BCULAW wrote:I was not in favor of firing Koetter 2 week’s ago, but the last 2 games has proven to me that he’s lost the locker room.

There's a reason every HC here has "lost the locker room" after a rough start- ownership. What's that, we're 2-4? Guess this season is a wash and we'll have a whole new HC soon. No point in respecting this guy or learning his play book, I'll wait for the next one.

This is just nonsense. Koetter has been here 3 years, if they don't understand his playbook now, they never will. On defense, there is absolutely no excuse for the team playing as poorly as they have, this has nothing to do with time.

Blaming the ownership? That's retarded, they have nothing to do with the players other than signing their checks. If a coach loses the trust of his players that has nothing to do with them.
Caradoc

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:20 pm

Btw, It's Spider 2 (not 3) Y banana.
DreadNaught

Postby NYBF » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:22 pm

Mex-Buc wrote:

:drinkingdrunk:
NYBF

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:25 pm

Caradoc wrote:
Doctor wrote:There's a reason every HC here has "lost the locker room" after a rough start- ownership. What's that, we're 2-4? Guess this season is a wash and we'll have a whole new HC soon. No point in respecting this guy or learning his play book, I'll wait for the next one.

This is just nonsense. Koetter has been here 3 years, if they don't understand his playbook now, they never will. On defense, there is absolutely no excuse for the team playing as poorly as they have, this has nothing to do with time.

Blaming the ownership? That's retarded, they have nothing to do with the players other than signing their checks. If a coach loses the trust of his players that has nothing to do with them.

idk, I think Doctor made a good point. The players can see the writing on the wall by now. Whether thinking about it or not, it's harder to play for someone who will be fired. They're probably coasting knowing that this season means nothing.

If Pittsburgh were 2-6, the players would know it's gonna be the same GM/HC for the foreseeable future. There would be no incentive for them to ease up and wait for the next regime.
Deuce

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:29 pm

Jim Harbaugh would be my 1st choice , all he did was win at SF . Guy knows football .
Jason Bourne

Next

Return to Team Discussions