Who do you want to replace Koetter

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Who do you want to replace Koetter

Postby MJW » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:51 am

Babeinbucland wrote:I’m a bit stunned tbh about Gruden getting so much love on this board. When he was finally fired most on the original Bucs board were thrilled that their screaming for his head was granted. What has changed about Gruden that makes any of you think he is the answer now????

I would love to bring Gruden back, and I still would have fired him when we did. There's no tension there. The 2009 Bucs needed a builder. That's not Gruden. The 2018 Bucs need a closer to get the most out of what's been built. That's Gruden.
MJW

Postby Babeinbucland » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:34 am

MJW wrote:
Babeinbucland wrote:I’m a bit stunned tbh about Gruden getting so much love on this board. When he was finally fired most on the original Bucs board were thrilled that their screaming for his head was granted. What has changed about Gruden that makes any of you think he is the answer now????

I would love to bring Gruden back, and I still would have fired him when we did. There's no tension there. The 2009 Bucs needed a builder. That's not Gruden. The 2018 Bucs need a closer to get the most out of what's been built. That's Gruden.

Thank you.
Babeinbucland

Postby Zarniwoop » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:07 pm

This guy turned Footsteps Falco into a winner....I’d give him a look

Zarniwoop

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:51 am

Pie In The Sky:
1) David Shaw, Head Coach, Stanford. Jim Harbaugh without the management squabbles. I'd give him a deal for 5-50, the GM of his choosing, a percentage of the franchise, whatever.

2) Jon Gruden, Former Buccaneers Coach. Probably where the list should actually begin.

One Of These Three:
3) Matt Patricia, Defensive Coordinator, Patriots. I have the best feeling about him of any of Belichick's assistants, ever. He reminds me of a smarter Rex Ryan. He's coached both sides of the ball and been with BB's staff for 13 years and 5 Superbowls. My only hesitation is because he wouldn't be a hire specifically to help Winston. He'd need a good OC. But I think you hire a leader, not a coordinator.

4) Dave Toub, Special Teams Coordinator, Chiefs. Before you say anything, John Harbaugh. Now that that's out of the way, Toub is one of the smartest and most respected coaches in the league, head, assistant, or otherwise. This hire would take some vision and some guts, but again - John Harbaugh. The fact his background is on special teams would make the OC and DC spots much more appealing to potential candidates, since he'd likely give them space.

5) Harold Goodwin, Offensive Coordinator, Cardinals. Goodwin is the guy I wanted when we hired Koetter. We in fact interviewed him, but it was obvious we had already decided who we wanted. The word you keep hearing about him is "leader." He has a lot of Bruce Arians's traits.

The Lone Retread:
6) Pat Shurmur, Offensive Coordinator, Vikings. He got a raw deal in Cleveland. He has an excellent offensive mind, and he's consistently elevated the play of his quarterbacks. He took Donovan McNabb, who has a lot of similarities to Winston, and coached him into one of the top quarterbacks in the league. The job he's doing in Minnesota is outstanding. If we hire a retread, he's the only one I really want. It's the opposite of a sexy hire, but when you look at his profile and the work he's doing, he deserves another shot somewhere.

The Next Generation:
7-10) Todd Downing/Matt Nagy/Matt LaFleur/Jim Bob Cooter. All young offensive coordinators. All doing a great job at their current spots. One or two of them are the next Sean McVay. You conduct your interviews and take your best guess.

There are some other guys we could talk about, but that's the quick list.
MJW

Postby Caradoc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:28 am

Why no Schwartz or McDaniels?
Caradoc

Postby sanka » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:03 am

Caradoc wrote:Why no Schwartz or McDaniels?

:lol: :lol: ...As a DC sure.
sanka

Postby sanka » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:06 am

MJW wrote:

The guy is highly critical of Winston during the draft :roll: ...what the Bucs need is a new young coach with fresh ideas and stop recycling these old (not age) coaches with stone age playbooks.
sanka

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:38 am

sanka wrote:
MJW wrote:

The guy is highly critical of Winston during the draft :roll: ...what the Bucs need is a new young coach with fresh ideas and stop recycling these old (not age) coaches with stone age playbooks.

4 of the guys in my top ten generally fit what you're describing. But coaches with innovative playbooks don't necessarily win games. Josh McDaniels in Denver is the perfect example of that. He was (and remains) one of the league's best playcallers and his playbook is a constant evolution designed by an offensive genius. But as a head coach, he couldn't lead his players. He couldn't get the most out of them. He couldn't manage the larger elements and delegate responsibility. So on and so forth.

Ideally, you want a head coach who can lead his players, trust his assistants, and enforce accountability. You want a CEO, not a micro-manager. This describes literally every highly successful coach in the league, from Belichick to Tomlin to Reid to Harbaugh, back to guys like Walsh and Noll and Lombardi and Landry, so on and so forth. This is the guy I want. And hopefully he'd bring with him an OC whose playbook could get the most out of the talent we have.

Also, less predictable play-calling would certainly help, but a scheme isn't going to fix what's wrong with Winston right now. A scheme isn't going to help him hit Jackson down the field, or look for his second or third options when he's already made up his mind where he's going with the ball pre-snap.
MJW

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:40 am

Schwartz got a fair shot in Detroit, and while they were better than they had been, there was no evidence he could be a great coach. To me he'd be the definition of "settling for a base hit and hoping for 10-6."

McDaniels might "get it" eight years after the Denver debacle. It's absolutely possible. But I don't want to be the team that rolls the dice on that. That's me.
MJW

Postby sanka » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:07 am

MJW wrote:
sanka wrote:The guy is highly critical of Winston during the draft :roll: ...what the Bucs need is a new young coach with fresh ideas and stop recycling these old (not age) coaches with stone age playbooks.

4 of the guys in my top ten generally fit what you're describing. But coaches with innovative playbooks don't necessarily win games. Josh McDaniels in Denver is the perfect example of that. He was (and remains) one of the league's best playcallers and his playbook is a constant evolution designed by an offensive genius. But as a head coach, he couldn't lead his players. He couldn't get the most out of them. He couldn't manage the larger elements and delegate responsibility. So on and so forth.

Ideally, you want a head coach who can lead his players, trust his assistants, and enforce accountability. You want a CEO, not a micro-manager. This describes literally every highly successful coach in the league, from Belichick to Tomlin to Reid to Harbaugh, back to guys like Walsh and Noll and Lombardi and Landry, so on and so forth. This is the guy I want. And hopefully he'd bring with him an OC whose playbook could get the most out of the talent we have.

Also, less predictable play-calling would certainly help, but a scheme isn't going to fix what's wrong with Winston right now. A scheme isn't going to help him hit Jackson down the field, or look for his second or third options when he's already made up his mind where he's going with the ball pre-snap.

Mcdaniels didn't really have a QB he could work with ...Kyle Orton is just a journeyman QB and he got the most out of him. He should be given a chance to work with an enormous talented QB like Winston. Winston's accuracy issues will be fixed...he still young.
sanka

Postby Caradoc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:01 am

MJW wrote:

Schwartz got a fair shot in Detroit, and while they were better than they had been, there was no evidence he could be a great coach. To me he'd be the definition of "settling for a base hit and hoping for 10-6."

McDaniels might "get it" eight years after the Denver debacle. It's absolutely possible. But I don't want to be the team that rolls the dice on that. That's me.

Fair enough.

I think Schwartz has grown since then just like McDaniels. They are both guys with resumes of elite coordinators, who failed - perspective - at their first HC gig. Koetter is a guy with a resume of mediocre coordinator who epically failed as HC.
Caradoc

Postby MarineBuc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:36 am

MJW brought up a name that I would LOVE to be our HC...JIM BOB COOTER!!!

I want him just because of his name! Oh, the fun we could have...
MarineBuc

Postby Caradoc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 pm

MarineBuc wrote:MJW brought up a name that I would LOVE to be our HC...JIM BOB COOTER!!!

I want him just because of his name! Oh, the fun we could have...

It IS a perfect name for the Nascar Division.
Caradoc

Postby Nano » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:08 pm

MJW wrote:Pie In The Sky:
1) David Shaw, Head Coach, Stanford. Jim Harbaugh without the management squabbles. I'd give him a deal for 5-50, the GM of his choosing, a percentage of the franchise, whatever.

2) Jon Gruden, Former Buccaneers Coach. Probably where the list should actually begin.

One Of These Three:
3) Matt Patricia, Defensive Coordinator, Patriots. I have the best feeling about him of any of Belichick's assistants, ever. He reminds me of a smarter Rex Ryan. He's coached both sides of the ball and been with BB's staff for 13 years and 5 Superbowls. My only hesitation is because he wouldn't be a hire specifically to help Winston. He'd need a good OC. But I think you hire a leader, not a coordinator.

4) Dave Toub, Special Teams Coordinator, Chiefs. Before you say anything, John Harbaugh. Now that that's out of the way, Toub is one of the smartest and most respected coaches in the league, head, assistant, or otherwise. This hire would take some vision and some guts, but again - John Harbaugh. The fact his background is on special teams would make the OC and DC spots much more appealing to potential candidates, since he'd likely give them space.

5) Harold Goodwin, Offensive Coordinator, Cardinals. Goodwin is the guy I wanted when we hired Koetter. We in fact interviewed him, but it was obvious we had already decided who we wanted. The word you keep hearing about him is "leader." He has a lot of Bruce Arians's traits.

The Lone Retread:
6) Pat Shurmur, Offensive Coordinator, Vikings. He got a raw deal in Cleveland. He has an excellent offensive mind, and he's consistently elevated the play of his quarterbacks. He took Donovan McNabb, who has a lot of similarities to Winston, and coached him into one of the top quarterbacks in the league. The job he's doing in Minnesota is outstanding. If we hire a retread, he's the only one I really want. It's the opposite of a sexy hire, but when you look at his profile and the work he's doing, he deserves another shot somewhere.

The Next Generation:
7-10) Todd Downing/Matt Nagy/Matt LaFleur/Jim Bob Cooter. All young offensive coordinators. All doing a great job at their current spots. One or two of them are the next Sean McVay. You conduct your interviews and take your best guess.

I think Matt LaFleur will be a common named tossed around next offseason, especially by us. He was the QB coach of Matt Ryan last year, and this year as OC(under McVay) the Rams have an 18.9 PPG increase.
Nano

Postby Caradoc » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:25 pm

Nano wrote:I think Matt LaFleur will be a common named tossed around next offseason, especially by us. He was the QB coach of Matt Ryan last year, and this year as OC(under McVay) the Rams have an 18.9 PPG increase.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here as say that that scoring increase is about McVay, not his nominal OC
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:08 am

Caradoc wrote:
Nano wrote:I think Matt LaFleur will be a common named tossed around next offseason, especially by us. He was the QB coach of Matt Ryan last year, and this year as OC(under McVay) the Rams have an 18.9 PPG increase.

i'm gonna go out on a limb here as say that that scoring increase is about McVay, not his nominal OC

Hard to say. Most would have considered Andy Reid's OC in Kansas City to be a figurehead of their success, but he's doing fine with their offense in Philly. It's really the kind of thing that can only be determined in interviews.

What I like about LaFleur is his resume. He's worked (usually as a QB coach or an OC) under Sean McVay, Kyle Shanahan, Brian Kelly, Jay Gruden, and Gary Kubiak. That's quite an impressive group of offensive coaches. I'd love to have OBP sit down with him and see how much of all that has rubbed off.
MJW

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 am

I just think the NFL will be better off with Gruden taking over for Koetter and Romo taking over for Gruden.
Brazen331

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:48 am

Caradoc wrote:

Even if that is true, LaFleur still has the experience of working side-by-side with McVay and Kyle Shanahan the year before. Two of the best offenses in the NFL those respective years. I don't think LaFleur should get the credit, but his presence and involvement shouldn't be dismissed either. The hope is that he's learned from those two guys and will incorporate that and continue to develop when he eventually gets his chance.

When you're a key assistant on a staff that boasts the #1 offense two straight years for 2 different teams you get your name thrown around.
DreadNaught

Postby UbuntuBuc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:31 pm

For all those opposed to retreads...

Bill Belichick has a 36–44 record in Cleveland.
UbuntuBuc

Postby kaimaru » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:52 pm

UbuntuBuc wrote:For all those opposed to retreads...

Bill Belichick has a 36–44 record in Cleveland.

Oh what Cleveland wouldn't do to have those halcyon seasons of 6, 7, 8 wins. :lol:
kaimaru

Postby Nano » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:23 pm

At this point, I think Cleveland would be happy with A win.
Nano

Postby Moozician » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 pm

One Of These Three:

The Lone Retread:

The Next Generation:

TONS of respect for Matt Patricia... and I HATE the Patriots.
Moozician

Postby Caradoc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:38 pm

I’d be happy to have Patricia here.
Caradoc

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:46 pm

This guy

Phantom Phenom

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:58 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:This guy

Prolly turn it down, but if he took the job who would he pick for coordinators?
mdb1958

Postby Deja Entendu » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 pm

One Of These Three:

The Lone Retread:

The Next Generation:

Patricia has only been there since '04, so he has three rings. McDaniels has five though. I've already proclaimed my thoughts on McDaniels -- he's the top of my list (if Koetter is canned). Patricia, on the other hand, makes me nervous. Not to say he can't become a great HC, but what has he really shown besides being a BB disciple?

The same way you'd rather the Bucs not be the ones to see if McDaniels learned from his past mistakes, I don't want the Bucs to gamble on the next "rising star" that hasn't shown anything outside of the House that Bill built.
Deja Entendu

Postby Caradoc » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:23 pm

At this point we could hire Molly McGrath and be a better team.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:38 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:

One Of These Three:

The Lone Retread:

The Next Generation:

Patricia has only been there since '04, so he has three rings. McDaniels has five though. I've already proclaimed my thoughts on McDaniels -- he's the top of my list (if Koetter is canned). Patricia, on the other hand, makes me nervous. Not to say he can't become a great HC, but what has he really shown besides being a BB disciple?

The same way you'd rather the Bucs not be the ones to see if McDaniels learned from his past mistakes, I don't want the Bucs to gamble on the next "rising star" that hasn't shown anything outside of the House that Bill built.

Should have specified 5 Superbowl appearances...3 rings...

It's scary any time you hire an assistant from under a great coach, and no, Belichick's kids have not generally done great. But what I like about Patricia is his attitude. He breathes fire and his players would run through a wall for him. Contrast that with guys like Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, and Josh McDaniels, and the difference is apparent. I think when you're hiring a coach, you're looking for a guy with the right personality for the big chair. When you look at the successful coaches in this league, with a few exceptions they're all pretty similar kinds of dudes. Intense, focused, natural leaders...That's what I see in Patricia. He reminds me of a smarter, saner Rex Ryan.
MJW

Postby KiffininCanton » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:13 am

MJW wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:

Should have specified 5 Superbowl appearances...3 rings...

It's scary any time you hire an assistant from under a great coach, and no, Belichick's kids have not generally done great. But what I like about Patricia is his attitude. He breathes fire and his players would run through a wall for him. Contrast that with guys like Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, and Josh McDaniels, and the difference is apparent. I think when you're hiring a coach, you're looking for a guy with the right personality for the big chair. When you look at the successful coaches in this league, with a few exceptions they're all pretty similar kinds of dudes. Intense, focused, natural leaders...That's what I see in Patricia. He reminds me of a smarter, saner Rex Ryan.

agree

look at the one Belichick guy that has had success: Bill O'Brien

Like Patricia, he has the personality (remember the famous heated shouting match with Brady on the sideline?)
KiffininCanton

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:31 am

He certainly has personality.

Deja Entendu

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions