Who do you want to replace Koetter

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Who do you want to replace Koetter

Postby acmillis » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am

Pepsi over Coke products....not my head coach!
acmillis

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am

KiffininCanton wrote:
MJW wrote:
Should have specified 5 Superbowl appearances...3 rings...

It's scary any time you hire an assistant from under a great coach, and no, Belichick's kids have not generally done great. But what I like about Patricia is his attitude. He breathes fire and his players would run through a wall for him. Contrast that with guys like Romeo Crennel, Charlie Weis, and Josh McDaniels, and the difference is apparent. I think when you're hiring a coach, you're looking for a guy with the right personality for the big chair. When you look at the successful coaches in this league, with a few exceptions they're all pretty similar kinds of dudes. Intense, focused, natural leaders...That's what I see in Patricia. He reminds me of a smarter, saner Rex Ryan.

agree

look at the one Belichick guy that has had success: Bill O'Brien

Like Patricia, he has the personality (remember the famous heated shouting match with Brady on the sideline?)

Bill O'Brien is not what we should be hoping for in a HC.
uscbucsfan

Postby KiffininCanton » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:23 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
KiffininCanton wrote:
agree

look at the one Belichick guy that has had success: Bill O'Brien

Like Patricia, he has the personality (remember the famous heated shouting match with Brady on the sideline?)

first 3 years all winning seasons despite journeyman and scrubs at QB. In one of those years they were 2-5 coming off a loss where they were down 41-0 at halftime. They were as dead as we are now and he somehow righted the ship.

Finally gets a QB this year and before he goes down, looks like they would of been a serious threat in the AFC.

You can do a lot worse than Bill O'Brien.

This board sticks it's nose up to a lot of good coaches. Just because someone isn't the next Belichick, doesn't mean they suck.
KiffininCanton

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:29 am

KiffininCanton wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

first 3 years all winning seasons despite journeyman and scrubs at QB. In one of those years they were 2-5 coming off a loss where they were down 41-0 at halftime. They were as dead as we are now and he somehow righted the ship.

Finally gets a QB this year and before he goes down, looks like they would of been a serious threat in the AFC.

This board sticks it's nose up to a lot of good coaches. Just because someone isn't the next Belichick, doesn't mean they suck.

This.

Biil O' Brien's 48 Quarterback starts heading into this season.

Brock Osweiler (14 Starts)
Ryan Fitzpatrick (12 Starts)
Brian Hoyer (9 Starts)
Ryan Mallett (6 Starts)
Tom savage (2 Starts)
Case Keenum (2 Starts)
TJ Yates (2 Starts)
Brandon Weedon (1 Start)

And he STILL went 27-21 with 2 playoff appearances and a win.

I would be thrilled to land the next Bill O'Brien here.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:23 am

I think firing Koetter would be yet another mistake. With that said, I'll play along.

As it goes, after you hire a skinny coach you hire a fat one- I'd be on the Matt Patricia wagon. A guy that's been there in a winning culture for almost a decade and a half. If he brings anything else it will be the discipline to do the little things. He's also been very flexible with his defensive schemes and has been on both sides of the ball. I would hope the Colts clean house. If they do I'd jump all over Rob Chudzinski, one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He did great work with Cam, he coached a very undertalented Browns team for a year (seriously?), and no he's making something of Brissett in Indy. This guy just gets it down, and I would LOVE for him to get his hands all over this offense. Oh, did I forget to mention he made Derek F'ing Anderson into a Pro-Bowler back in 2007? I'd also bring in Hue Jackson to be the QB coach. Remember, Raheem dropped back down to being a positional coach after his time as a HC and he didn't have nearly the record Hue has had. Hue fell back to being a positional coach after his last HC failure in Oakland. Being able to get a staff with Chudz and Hue would be ridiculous.

Not entirely sure what Matt would want to do with the defense. I have a feeling he would be the kind that would bring in a DC and let him run things his way too, while Matt focuses completely on just being a HC.
Doctor

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:06 am

Doctor wrote:I think firing Koetter would be yet another mistake. With that said, I'll play along.

As it goes, after you hire a skinny coach you hire a fat one- I'd be on the Matt Patricia wagon. A guy that's been there in a winning culture for almost a decade and a half. If he brings anything else it will be the discipline to do the little things. He's also been very flexible with his defensive schemes and has been on both sides of the ball. I would hope the Colts clean house. If they do I'd jump all over Rob Chudzinski, one of the best kept secrets in the NFL. He did great work with Cam, he coached a very undertalented Browns team for a year (seriously?), and no he's making something of Brissett in Indy. This guy just gets it down, and I would LOVE for him to get his hands all over this offense. Oh, did I forget to mention he made Derek F'ing Anderson into a Pro-Bowler back in 2007? I'd also bring in Hue Jackson to be the QB coach. Remember, Raheem dropped back down to being a positional coach after his time as a HC and he didn't have nearly the record Hue has had. Hue fell back to being a positional coach after his last HC failure in Oakland. Being able to get a staff with Chudz and Hue would be ridiculous.

Not entirely sure what Matt would want to do with the defense. I have a feeling he would be the kind that would bring in a DC and let him run things his way too, while Matt focuses completely on just being a HC.

Matt is most likely a 3-4 guy and we are not set up that way imo
Jason Bourne

Postby MRM » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:12 am

For what it's worth, I live in Knoxville and UT just fired Butch Jones. Jon Gruden's name has popped up again as UT's next coach. Just like 5 years ago when the job was open and his name came up, I'll believe it when I see it. Having said that, a radio guy up here with some good connections across the country said apparently the Glazers are interested in bringing Gruden and Gruden would take it. Take it all with a grain of salt. I personally don't thinl Koetter should be fired. But I know how the Glazers operate. Anything is possible with them.
MRM

Postby Deuce » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:34 pm

MJW wrote:
KiffininCanton wrote:

This.

Brian Hoyer (9 Starts)
Ryan Mallett (6 Starts)
Tom savage (2 Starts)
Case Keenum (2 Starts)
TJ Yates (2 Starts)
Brandon Weedon (1 Start)

I always wonder about coaches like Bill O'Brien. He's an offensive guy but has won thanks to his defense. Just like Billick with the Ravens and Gruden here. How much credit do they deserve when their unit isn't the one winning games? Yes, Gruden did wonders for our offense in Tampa but without that defense, they weren't winning the SB.

Also two small problems with your post. First, every record in that division deserves an asterisk. Second, reports are conflicting but I have a hard time believing BOB didn't want Osweiler there.
Deuce

Postby MJW » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:37 pm

Deuce wrote:
MJW wrote:
This.

Brian Hoyer (9 Starts)
Ryan Mallett (6 Starts)
Tom savage (2 Starts)
Case Keenum (2 Starts)
TJ Yates (2 Starts)
Brandon Weedon (1 Start)

I always wonder about coaches like Bill O'Brien. He's an offensive guy but has won thanks to his defense. Just like Billick with the Ravens and Gruden here. How much credit do they deserve when their unit isn't the one winning games? Yes, Gruden did wonders for our offense in Tampa but without that defense, they weren't winning the SB.

Also two small problems with your post. First, every record in that division deserves an asterisk. Second, reports are conflicting but I have a hard time believing BOB didn't want Osweiler there.

First, I don't honestly care about the "Offensive Coach winning with defense!" or vice versa thing. We make WAY too much out of the side of the ball a coach is known for before he's a head coach. John Harbaugh was a special teams coach before he got the Ravens job - how do we measure the credit HE deserves for their success?

Second, over a 48 game spread, a guy's SOS isn't going to vary as much as one would think unless they did the math. I'll break down the numbers if you wish, but I really don't feel like it right now.

Third, the person in the build who's to blame for bringing in Osweiler isn't the point. The point is, he won games despite having him. If it was his fault he was there, or the GMs, he was still there. And Bill O' Brien still fielded a winning team.

He's a good coach, that's all. He was a good coach at Penn State. He's been a good coach for the Texans. If they get 16 games out of Watson next year, I like their chances at a real run the AFC.
MJW

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:20 pm

kaimaru wrote:
UbuntuBuc wrote:For all those opposed to retreads...

Bill Belichick has a 36–44 record in Cleveland.

Oh what Cleveland wouldn't do to have those halcyon seasons of 6, 7, 8 wins. :lol:

Belichick was the last head coach in Cleveland before the franchise moved to Baltimore. So, Cleveland fans have watched their team win 2 Super Bowls in Baltimore and their coach win 5 Super Bowls in New England. Sleep tight, Cleveland!
I Are Serious Poster

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:37 pm

I Are Serious Poster wrote:
kaimaru wrote:
Oh what Cleveland wouldn't do to have those halcyon seasons of 6, 7, 8 wins. :lol:

Belichick was the last head coach in Cleveland before the franchise moved to Baltimore. So, Cleveland fans have watched their team win 2 Super Bowls in Baltimore and their coach win 5 Super Bowls in New England. Sleep tight, Cleveland!

Lol Cleveland ... poor bastards
Jason Bourne

Postby DanTurksGhost » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:49 pm

Doctor wrote:I think firing Koetter would be yet another mistake.

Why?
DanTurksGhost

Postby Jason Bourne » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:

Why?
Jason Bourne

Postby Doctor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:25 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:

Why?

1) Becuase shuffling coaches every two years in no way to build a team. You also turn off top coaching talents on all level- no one wants a part of such instability.
2) Looking at the film it's clear to (even the players themselves) that the scheme/system isn't the problem. Players have constantly been put in positions to succeed (open WR, defender unblocked in run lane) only to **** it up (overthrow, miss tackle). The PLAYS are working, it's the players that are not. Some have even come out and spoken to that.
3) Contrary to popular belief learning the ins and outs of every play and being on the same page as your teammates on that play is not just something you get done in training camp. That's why when players are asked "what's the biggest difference between you now and at this point last year" one of the most common answers is "I am more comfortable now and have a better grasp of the playbook". Not even "I have mastered the playbook", only "I have a better grasp". It takes time.
4) Roster changes. You spend two offseasons putting together a roster that can execute X system, to just change it to Y. Then spend two offseasons getting players that can execute Y, only to change it to Z. Just because we don't do something obviously drastic like go from a 4-3 to a 3-4, doesn't mean all players just carry over to next the system.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 am

Doctor wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:
Why?

1) Becuase shuffling coaches every two years in no way to build a team. You also turn off top coaching talents on all level- no one wants a part of such instability.
2) Looking at the film it's clear to (even the players themselves) that the scheme/system isn't the problem. Players have constantly been put in positions to succeed (open WR, defender unblocked in run lane) only to **** it up (overthrow, miss tackle). The PLAYS are working, it's the players that are not. Some have even come out and spoken to that.
3) Contrary to popular belief learning the ins and outs of every play and being on the same page as your teammates on that play is not just something you get done in training camp. That's why when players are asked "what's the biggest difference between you now and at this point last year" one of the most common answers is "I am more comfortable now and have a better grasp of the playbook". Not even "I have mastered the playbook", only "I have a better grasp". It takes time.
4) Roster changes. You spend two offseasons putting together a roster that can execute X system, to just change it to Y. Then spend two offseasons getting players that can execute Y, only to change it to Z. Just because we don't do something obviously drastic like go from a 4-3 to a 3-4, doesn't mean all players just carry over to next the system.

1) If Koetter isn't a good coach, this doesn't really matter.
2) Nearly every play works when it's executed well. If the players aren't executing en masse, it's a coaching problem, isn't it?
3) We'd be in year 8 of mastering the Youngry attack. Imagine how unstoppable we'd be!
4) Somebody tell Sean McVay, Doug Pederson, Doug Marrone, and several others about this point, quick! They think they can win now!
MJW

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:12 am

Point #4 made me laugh. Thanks.
PrimeMinister

Postby DanTurksGhost » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm in favor of continuity, unless the team looks disorganized, undisciplined, and unprepared. I'm in favor of continuity if the coaches have the team on the right track. I'm in favor of continuity if you're rebuilding a team from scratch.

I seriously doubt Coach Koetter's ability to be a successful head coach in the NFL. And I have strong reservations about his effectiveness as a play-caller as well. To me, he's not excelling in either area of his responsibility. When (casual) fans in the stands can consistently predict the play call based on down and distance and formation and personnel, surely the opposing team can, too.

Not that what I think or say matters one way or the other, but I'm not happy with Coach Koetter and wouldn't be saddened if they went in another direction. All the same, as a fan I certainly hope that if he remains he gets much better and so does his team.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Wesmon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:43 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Point #4 made me laugh. Thanks.

Point 3 is gold too.
Wesmon

Postby Jason Bourne » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:19 pm

I would say McAdoo is a sure bet out of all of them .

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... /#comments
Jason Bourne

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:26 pm

Rotoworld is floating the rumor that there's mutual interest between the Bucs and Gruden.

Setting aside the fact that this is probably bullshit, I don't see why ol' Chucky would want his old job back now given the type of QB Winston is.

Jameis is an instinctive football player and Gruden would presumably have as much fun with him as he would Shaun King.

I just didn't see it unless Gruden thinks he can get the most out of Winston or has his eye on another QB.

On top of that, would Licht survive this move?

The whole thing makes me think of **** Vermeil and Joe Gibbs.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby KiffininCanton » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:55 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Rotoworld is floating the rumor that there's mutual interest between the Bucs and Gruden.

Setting aside the fact that this is probably bullshit, I don't see why ol' Chucky would want his old job back now given the type of QB Winston is.

Jameis is an instinctive football player and Gruden would presumably have as much fun with him as he would Shaun King.

I just didn't see it unless Gruden thinks he can get the most out of Winston or has his eye on another QB.

I don't see how.

IF the Gruden thing did happen, I could see Michael Lombardi getting the job.

Worked with Gruden in Oakland and I remember there was a rumor (maybe circa 2007) there was consideration brining him here during Gruden's first tenure here and demote Allen to being just a cap guy.
KiffininCanton

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:12 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Rotoworld is floating the rumor that there's mutual interest between the Bucs and Gruden.

I think with Gruden’s ego he probably thinks he can fix Winston similar to his attitude in Oakland with Jeff George. He was calling him a potential MVP candidate before the season so he must think there is hope here.

Regardless, even if he does not think Winston has a future, I don’t see the QB situation scaring him off. It’s not like we need a superstar, just someone who is halfway accurate. Our record would probably be reversed if Winston was just mediocrely accurate.
Brazen331

Postby Alpha » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:04 am

Cheb wrote:
tjax03 wrote:

Gruden's offense is worst and more archaic than koetters

Spider 3 Y Banana doesnt work anymore.

I say Harbaugh or get a guy who has been a head coach before with the hopes that he hires a young mind that can keep up with the offenses of today

Gruden's offense has its roots in West Coast principles, which started in the 80s. Koetter's is from the 70s.

And teams run iterations of Spider 3 Y Banana every Sunday.

SEE: NE Patriots

I still kills me to see you people clamoring for Gruden to return.

We should re-hire Allen as the GM...those two sure did do this franchise wonders.

:facepalm:
Alpha

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:56 am

Alpha wrote:
Cheb wrote:
Gruden's offense has its roots in West Coast principles, which started in the 80s. Koetter's is from the 70s.

And teams run iterations of Spider 3 Y Banana every Sunday.

SEE: NE Patriots

I still kills me to see you people clamoring for Gruden to return.

We should re-hire Allen as the GM...those two sure did do this franchise wonders.

:facepalm:

I kinda agree , the thing people forget about Gruden is how complex his offense is . It would take Jameis 2-3 years , no thanks .
Jason Bourne

Postby NavyBuc » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:18 am

Five years ago I pleaded that the Bucs should hire Mike Zimmer. They didn't and now look what's happened to Zimmer. Might be this year's COY.

Not really on board with bringing Gruden back. That being said, I understand why the Glazers would want him back here. He'd bring some interest back in the area and he does have a good track record as HC. I know some here don't like him, but there's a lot in the area that love the guy and would do cartwheels over the hire. But all you have to do is look at the stands at how much people care about the Bucs in this area. It's a complete joke the interest in Bucs football right now, although I think the NFL as a whole has taken a hit, not just Tampa.

I'd rather give a look to Josh McDaniels or Rob Chudzinksi who has done a great job with Jacoby Brissett in Indy. However, I think McDaniels is holding out to take over for Bellichick who I think is down to his last year or two before retirement.
NavyBuc

Postby PetePierson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:09 pm

Brothers' Glazer have whiffed on three 1st time HCs and only one retread. I'm all for Gruden just to closing the ratio.
PetePierson

Postby Onthebrink » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Antonio Ramiro Romo a joke not joke answer.
Onthebrink

Previous

Return to Team Discussions