REPORT: Bucs brass involved in several private meetings

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: REPORT: Bucs brass involved in several private meetings

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:58 pm

KiffininCanton wrote:Lovie: enough with experimenting with young assistant coaches and college coaches, time for a proven quantity at the NFL HC position and let's bring the Buc Ball glory days back while we're at it!

Well, sort of. There was alarm at OBP that the team had lost a great deal of respect in the league due to Schiano, which was absolutely true. Players, behind the scenes in great numbers and publicly in smaller numbers, were speaking out about their complete lack of respect for Schiano. The word around OBP at the time was "restore respect". They knew that hiring Lovie Smith could instantly erase the Schiano debacle and restore respectability to the team.
DanTurksGhost

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:01 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:Gruden was actually always the target. Mooch and Marvin Lewis were the back ups. They were rejected by Al so they were about to send an offer to Mooch, but gave Al a final late night phone call. Deal was done by sunrise.

Gruden was always the target. Absolutely correct. Mooch was the backup plan. Marvin Lewis wasn't even in consideration by the Glazers. McKay essentially "hired" Lewis against the direction of the Glazers, who subsequently pulled the responsibility away from McKay because of it. McKay was attempting to force Lewis down their throats. He never anticipated that the Glazers would smack him down.

But yes, Coach Gruden was the coach they coveted all along.
DanTurksGhost

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:06 pm

MJW wrote:Curious which is true about what happened in 2002:

A) The Glazers either communicated their desires poorly to McKay, or pulled the rug out from him AFTER he chose another defensive coach.

B) McKay simply ignored the Glazers wishes and offered the job to Marvin Lewis anyway.

Is it known which is more accurate?

McKay effectively hired Lewis. He was specifically instructed to find an offensive-oriented head coach. He went against their wishes and attempted to force the hiring. Marvin Lewis was under the impression that he had the job. He'd told potential assistants that he was hired. The Glazers were royally pissed and took the hiring job away from McKay. They had instructed him to do what it took to get Gruden, but McKay wouldn't pull the trigger. Once they took the hiring job away from him, they went to Al Davis directly themselves and got rebuffed, so they looked hard at Mooch, but then took one final shot at Gruden and got him.

There are more details, but I'm not in the typing mood. That's it in a thumbnail.
DanTurksGhost

Postby Patrick McIrish » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:11 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:For what it's worth, which may actually be nothing, I was told by a generally reliable individual today that some of the top brass at OBP have recently been involved in several private, off-site meetings that did not include Licht or Koetter. The meetings included NFL types who are not a current part of the Bucs organization. Word is, if it is indeed reliable, that these clandestine meetings were held with well-established, big name, successful NFL "experts" with a track record of winning football. These experts were -- basically -- asked to provide their independent evaluations of the team's struggles and lack of on-field success.

What the outcome of those discussions were/are and what it means is a complete mystery to me, other than it would appear that the Glazers are very concerned about the team's performance and wanted independent assessments of why the squad is not performing up to expectations. Is this a good or a bad thing? I don't know. Good in the sense that the ownership is concerned enough to seek outside counsel, bad that it would appear that they've lost confidence in those who are responsible for fielding a winning product.

And if you're reading this (you know who I mean) I fully informed you that I intended to share this information on this forum, and you agreed that would be acceptable so long as I didn't name names. If you have an issue with this, please call me directly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Patrick McIrish

Postby Patrick McIrish » Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:15 am

One of the funniest threads I've read in a long time, LOL.

And if you're reading this (you know who I mean) I fully informed you that I intended to share this information on this forum, and you agreed that would be acceptable so long as I didn't name names. If you have an issue with this, please call me directly.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Patrick McIrish

Postby Caradoc » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:27 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:For what it's worth, which may actually be nothing, I was told by a generally reliable individual today that some of the top brass at OBP have recently been involved in several private, off-site meetings that did not include Licht or Koetter. The meetings included NFL types who are not a current part of the Bucs organization. Word is, if it is indeed reliable, that these clandestine meetings were held with well-established, big name, successful NFL "experts" with a track record of winning football. These experts were -- basically -- asked to provide their independent evaluations of the team's struggles and lack of on-field success.

What the outcome of those discussions were/are and what it means is a complete mystery to me, other than it would appear that the Glazers are very concerned about the team's performance and wanted independent assessments of why the squad is not performing up to expectations. Is this a good or a bad thing? I don't know. Good in the sense that the ownership is concerned enough to seek outside counsel, bad that it would appear that they've lost confidence in those who are responsible for fielding a winning product.

And I told you not to post it you blabbermouth!
Caradoc

Postby Agent Orange » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:51 pm

Just want to leave this right here...

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/4017059/byteam.png
Agent Orange

Postby Nano » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:58 pm

That we were really bad drafting between 04-08? Don't think anyone would argue that
Nano

Postby Agent Orange » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Nano wrote:That we were really bad drafting between 04-08? Don't think anyone would argue that

There are a lot of people who have Blurry memories around here.
Agent Orange

Postby deltbucs » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:26 pm

Agent Orange wrote:Just want to leave this right here...

Ummm...Yeah...we drafted poorly a decade ago. No ****
deltbucs

Postby Kress » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:06 pm

deltbucs wrote:
Agent Orange wrote:Just want to leave this right here...

Ummm...Yeah...we drafted poorly a decade ago. No ****

And save for a few exceptions, ever since. :shrug:
Kress

Postby RedLeader » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:16 pm

So what did they come up with?

Keep Jameis out? Lol.
RedLeader

Previous

Return to Team Discussions