Is Jameis a FRANCHISE QB?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Is Jameis a FRANCHISE QB?

Postby MJW » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:31 am

Wharf Rat wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Maybe a fanbase with half a brain wouldn't choose to "highlight" the flaws he thinks he has after a 2-6 start and a shoulder injury.

What would that accomplish exactly? If we tried harder to be better fans, would that win us a few more games?

By the way, I think it's adorable that you think you're somehow more than a fan. You obviously feel the need to be important on a message board, so don't let anyone stand in your way. Shine on superfan!

If he's playing at being the board heel, kudos to him because he's great at it.

If he actually believes he has some special insight from his couch that everyone else lacks, he's got the worlds most pathetic Messianic complex.

The people here who played in the NFL, or worked in the NFL...they can play this card. The rest of us, with our Sunday Ticket, and our All-22, and our Youtube clips, and our Athlon preview magazines, and our ESPN Insider subscriptions...we're all in the same damn boat.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 am

This is like a movie where the Ravens are pecking on the flesh of Winston while he's still alive. I want better buy I dont know whats better for my Bucs in all aspects right now, therefore I choose to be relatively silent.

Getting rid of anyone in our organization right now without a better (and I do mean better) plan is just plain stupid. The throngs of fans that call for certain moves that get obliged by the ownership quickly can be faced with chaos in which there is no thought that they in fact played a role in it.
mdb1958

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:00 pm

“Shine On Superfan “. Lol Nice
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:12 pm

If a head needs to roll, it should be Lichts IMO.
real bucs fan

Postby Caradoc » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:07 pm

Yeah, fire the guy who's assembled the most talented roster we've had in over a decade :roll:

The stupid is getting thick in here.
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:24 pm

Caradoc wrote:Yeah, fire the guy who's assembled the most talented roster we've had in over a decade :roll:

If you're not getting results from said talented roster then is it really that talented to begin with?
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Caradoc wrote:Yeah, fire the guy who's assembled the most talented roster we've had in over a decade :roll:

If you're not getting results from said talented roster then is it really that talented to begin with?

Let's say I decide to enjoy a fantastic meal. The best meal I can possibly have. My wife is a chef at her own restaurant, so I have connections. Let's say I go hog wild.

I call up a local organic farmer who my wife buys from, a guy who sells his produce to Michelin starred restaurants. Normally, he doesn't even sell to just anyone who comes by, his stock is all spoken for before it's even grown. But I coached two of his sons, so for me he would make an exception. I drive out to his spread. The vegetables are in season, the fruit was picked fresh that morning. He assures me that it will be flawless for dinner tonight. After all, his track record is impeccable, and I've known his product for years.

Then I drive over to my favorite butcher. I was going to buy a steak, a premium cut. But he lets me know of a recent windfall. Due to a fortuitous shipping error, he was delivered some Kobe beef this very morning. Not that knockoff ****, I mean the legit stuff from Hyogo Prefecture in Japan, the kind that costs $3k for a ribeye. It's very expensive, but the quality is out of this world. He offers to sell it to me for a high price, but the price would be cheaper than it would have been elsewhere. I enthusiastically buy it and take it home. I got something so good, and at a cheap price! I can't believe my good fate!

But what to drink? With a great steak, a good glass of red wine would pair nicely. I don't know what to get. Don't get me wrong, I know a bit, but I need some help so I don't screw up this meal. I call up a friend of my wife's, a Master Sommelier. There's only about 150 of them in the US, literal wine savants. I say, hey John, long time no talk, anyways I'm going to have this epic steak, here's my budget, what should I get. And he selects a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon from his personal cellar, from a small vinter that is just up and coming, still learning the ropes, but they are the next big thing. True me, John says, and I believe him. John drives over to hand deliver the promised bottle to my home. Good talk John, thanks for the vino, we will have to have you and your wife over sometime, take care.

So I have these ingredients. Proven commodities from my trusted farmer. A rare and quality cut of meat from a foreign land, but again a proven commodity. And a truly remarkable bottle of wine from an up and coming vineyard.

Now instead of giving my wife these ingredients, who could crush that meal in her sleep, I give them to a man we hired for just this occasion. A steak expert. I trust him to make it come together. It's his profession, right? He's done this before.

So I sit down to have this meal. It's terrible. The steak is burned. The vegetables are soggy. The wine is hot, and has ice cubes floating in it. What the hell?

I storm into the kitchen. The chef can't believe it either.

It's the ingredients fault!
Cheb

Postby Nano » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Upon bursting into the Kitchen, you realize that you're actually in a McDonalds, and not your wife's restaurant. That decadent meal you envisioned is actually just a soggy McRibb sandwich accompanied by a Cesar salad...your red wine actually a cup of Hi-C. You pause, realizing that it's both the underpaid cook and the weak ingredients that led to your poor meal.

Before the Cops tase you to the ground, you wonder: Have I been fooled this whole time?
Nano

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:46 pm

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Let's say I decide to enjoy a fantastic meal. The best meal I can possibly have. My wife is a chef at her own restaurant, so I have connections. Let's say I go hog wild.

I call up a local organic farmer who my wife buys from, a guy who sells his produce to Michelin starred restaurants. Normally, he doesn't even sell to just anyone who comes by, his stock is all spoken for before it's even grown. But I coached two of his sons, so for me he would make an exception. I drive out to his spread. The vegetables are in season, the fruit was picked fresh that morning. He assures me that it will be flawless for dinner tonight. After all, his track record is impeccable, and I've known his product for years.

Then I drive over to my favorite butcher. I was going to buy a steak, a premium cut. But he lets me know of a recent windfall. Due to a fortuitous shipping error, he was delivered some Kobe beef this very morning. Not that knockoff ****, I mean the legit stuff from Hyogo Prefecture in Japan, the kind that costs $3k for a ribeye. It's very expensive, but the quality is out of this world. He offers to sell it to me for a high price, but the price would be cheaper than it would have been elsewhere. I enthusiastically buy it and take it home. I got something so good, and at a cheap price! I can't believe my good fate!

But what to drink? With a great steak, a good glass of red wine would pair nicely. I don't know what to get. Don't get me wrong, I know a bit, but I need some help so I don't screw up this meal. I call up a friend of my wife's, a Master Sommelier. There's only about 150 of them in the US, literal wine savants. I say, hey John, long time no talk, anyways I'm going to have this epic steak, here's my budget, what should I get. And he selects a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon from his personal cellar, from a small vinter that is just up and coming, still learning the ropes, but they are the next big thing. True me, John says, and I believe him. John drives over to hand deliver the promised bottle to my home. Good talk John, thanks for the vino, we will have to have you and your wife over sometime, take care.

So I have these ingredients. Proven commodities from my trusted farmer. A rare and quality cut of meat from a foreign land, but again a proven commodity. And a truly remarkable bottle of wine from an up and coming vineyard.

Now instead of giving my wife these ingredients, who could crush that meal in her sleep, I give them to a man we hired for just this occasion. A steak expert. I trust him to make it come together. It's his profession, right? He's done this before.

So I sit down to have this meal. It's terrible. The steak is burned. The vegetables are soggy. The wine is hot, and has ice cubes floating in it. What the hell?

I read all of this expecting a point to be made. Maybe I missed it. What was it?
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:41 am

Ya that read like Cheb had a bad restaurant experience recently lol
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:12 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

I can't compete with the restaurant blog post.

But...yes...a roster can be talented and still not be good because of coaching. You know this. It's obvious. But in case it's not obvious enough, the 2016 - 2017 Rams are a pretty good example.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:25 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

But...yes...a roster can be talented and still not be good because of coaching. You know this. It's obvious. But in case it's not obvious enough, the 2016 - 2017 Rams are a pretty good example.

An arbitrary excuse fans use to quantity their own personal opinions. Other than "it just is" what made that Rams team or any other supposedly talented roster better than the coaching would allow??
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:22 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

An arbitrary excuse fans use to quantity their own personal opinions. Other than "it just is" what made that Rams team or any other supposedly talented roster better than the coaching would allow??

Sean Mcvay Lol
Jason Bourne

Postby MJW » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:28 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

Ummm....the fact that largely the same roster went from one of the worst teams in the league to one of the best, based on record, point differential, and any other metric you want to use?

Are you actually ****ing arguing that our same 53 would 2-6 if Bill Belichick or Bill Walsh were coaching it? That seems to be what you're arguing.
MJW

Postby Deuce » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:55 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:

I read all of this expecting a point to be made. Maybe I missed it. What was it?

Seriously? People didn't get it? Maybe I've been giving you too much credit, and that's not saying much.
Deuce

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:29 am

Bum Phillips described Don Shulas coaching ability like this, he could beat yours with his then take yours and beat his with them....

Its Bum Phillips so you're gonna have to think about it for a minute....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Cheb » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:53 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:

It's an allegory regarding our team.

I guess you're just a casual fan of conventional literary devices :)
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:18 am

I remember the Eagles went out and bought a bunch of players and the preseason hype was huge.

Superteam went on to do squat.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:38 am

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

It's an allegory regarding our team.

I guess you're just a casual fan of conventional literary devices :)

I guess you’re right. And I guess I was right. You don’t have a point here.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 am

Cheb wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Ha! Good point made. I laughed.
PrimeMinister

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:13 am

I really don't think coaching is the issue. Yes, we are talented, but how is that talent distributed throughout the roster? We're loaded with pass catchers and linebackers, but we can't run the ball or rush the passer. I don't care who the coach is, if you can't run the ball or rush the passer you aren't winning many football games. Heck if you can only do 2 things as a football team, it would be those 2.

If a head needs to roll it should Licht's IMO. Not addressing the run game in an historic RB draft class was brutal. I liked the Howard pick, but we then had opportunities to get a RB on day 2 and didn't. Evans and Godwin might be good players one day, but passing on guys like Kamara and Hunt to name a couple is a season wrecker. Counting on Doug was a terrible gamble. Not only has it made us an imbalanced offence, but it has caused regression in our QB and perhaps even helped get him injured.

The run around can be quick though.

1. Give huge money to Demarcus Lawrence.
2. Draft one of Barkley or Guice in the first.
3. Continue to shore up the trenches Day 2.

We do those things, we can be next years Jags or Cowboys.
real bucs fan

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:11 pm

real bucs fan wrote:I really don't think coaching is the issue.

I sure do. Not the only issue, just the most glaring one.
DanTurksGhost

Postby ComingThisFall » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 am

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Seriously? People didn't get it? Maybe I've been giving you too much credit, and that's not saying much.

Epic troll is epic
ComingThisFall

Postby KiffininCanton » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:23 am

real bucs fan wrote:2. Draft one of Barkley or Guice in the first.

I'm philosophically opposed to drafting RBs high in todays league, BUT Barkley is the one guy I would make an exception for.

Best prospect at the position since Adrian Peterson and by all accounts a very good locker room guy and this is a team in desperate need for some strong, mature leadership on the team.
KiffininCanton

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:16 am

real bucs fan wrote:I really don't think coaching is the issue. Yes, we are talented, but how is that talent distributed throughout the roster? We're loaded with pass catchers and linebackers, but we can't run the ball or rush the passer. I don't care who the coach is, if you can't run the ball or rush the passer you aren't winning many football games. Heck if you can only do 2 things as a football team, it would be those 2.

If a head needs to roll it should Licht's IMO. Not addressing the run game in an historic RB draft class was brutal. I liked the Howard pick, but we then had opportunities to get a RB on day 2 and didn't. Evans and Godwin might be good players one day, but passing on guys like Kamara and Hunt to name a couple is a season wrecker. Counting on Doug was a terrible gamble. Not only has it made us an imbalanced offence, but it has caused regression in our QB and perhaps even helped get him injured.

So the best move is to draft a running back highly to fix a running game? That's rarely worked in this league, outside generational players like Barry Sanders. Hunt is excellent in KC, just like literally every dude who has played in that backfield since the Clinton administration.
Ken Carson

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:22 am

Ken Carson wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:I really don't think coaching is the issue. Yes, we are talented, but how is that talent distributed throughout the roster? We're loaded with pass catchers and linebackers, but we can't run the ball or rush the passer. I don't care who the coach is, if you can't run the ball or rush the passer you aren't winning many football games. Heck if you can only do 2 things as a football team, it would be those 2.

So the best move is to draft a running back highly to fix a running game? That's rarely worked in this league, outside generational players like Barry Sanders. Hunt is excellent in KC, just like literally every dude who has played in that backfield since the Clinton administration.

RBF is still pushing his agenda that he thinks a New RB is the best way to fix the run game because the line can't block. His entire post is laughable and it illustrates his severe lack of football acumen.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:51 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:So the best move is to draft a running back highly to fix a running game? That's rarely worked in this league, outside generational players like Barry Sanders. Hunt is excellent in KC, just like literally every dude who has played in that backfield since the Clinton administration.

RBF is still pushing his agenda that he thinks a New RB is the best way to fix the run game because the line can't block. His entire post is laughable and it illustrates his severe lack of football acumen.

Learning new words eh? Cute.

Donovan Smith is a terrible pass protecting LT, but the OL is really not that bad. It just so happens our talent at the RB position is severely lacking. Barkley compares favourably to Elliott and Fournette, and both those guys had major impacts pretty quickly. This isn't an "agenda" this is just how I would try and fix this football team.
real bucs fan

Postby J-Stink » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:59 pm

Crablegs Winston is, at best, a low end ham and egger QB. He's like Flacco without riding a D to a SB victory.
J-Stink

Postby Alpha » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:16 am

Unfortunately, there is more to coaching than knowing "X's and O's" and being able to scheme, game plan and make adjustments.

You also have to manage people. Massage ego's, knowing whom to pat on the back and whom to kick in the ass. I would imagine this is magnified 100 fold in the NFL, where players make much more money than the coach.

None of us (that I know of) are in this locker room so we can only surmise by the results of the product produced.

This weeks win aside...this teams' results are not indicative of a team that is buying what their coaches are selling.

It STILL seems like we have 11 guys playing their asses off and 11 guys who just don't know wtf it is they're supposed to be doing....and it's perplexing because last year, it seemed that the proverbial "light went on" half way through the season. When everyone seemed to "get it". We have yet to see that, as of now.

And Cheb's analogy aside...we do have some Kobe beef and fine wine on this team...but it appears we also have quite a bit of day old sirloin and 3 buck chuck as well.
Alpha

Postby BucaRican » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Exhibit A Rams

Exhibit B Jags
BucaRican

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions