NEVER FORGET - Eight Year Ago...

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
NEVER FORGET - Eight Year Ago...

Postby MJW » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:10 am

On 10/18/2009, lump of malignant human waste Dante Wesley Jr. ended the career of Peanut Smith with one of the dirtiest hits in NFL history. Smith reportedly suffered permanent brain damage from the hit. Wherever Dante Wesley is, I hope he knows in his heart that this moment defines his miserable career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3DjQ3CYycI
MJW

Re: NEVER FORGET - Eight Year Ago...

Postby Buc2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:34 am

It's been 8 years?! It just doesn't seem that long ago. :(
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Swashy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:41 am

I don't know if it's one of the dirtiest hits in history but the point stands. I feel terrible for Smith. He was such a bright spot in a time of dwindling hope. I hope his resulting brain damage is not so severe that he cannot function normally -i.e forgets to brush his teeth in the morning without reminder, cannot remember where his mother's house is when he is driving there etc

**** Dante Wesley
Swashy

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:47 am

MJW wrote:On 10/18/2009, lump of malignant human waste Dante Wesley Jr. ended the career of Peanut Smith with one of the dirtiest hits in NFL history. Smith reportedly suffered permanent brain damage from the hit. Wherever Dante Wesley is, I hope he knows in his heart that this moment defines his miserable career.

I can't find anything that said Smith suffered permanent Brain damage, but he did play in 8 games after that incident and then played for a few months in Canada. I think his size and lack of talent contributed to the end of his career, but the hit could have played a factor.
uscbucsfan

Postby MJW » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:55 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
MJW wrote:On 10/18/2009, lump of malignant human waste Dante Wesley Jr. ended the career of Peanut Smith with one of the dirtiest hits in NFL history. Smith reportedly suffered permanent brain damage from the hit. Wherever Dante Wesley is, I hope he knows in his heart that this moment defines his miserable career.

I can't find anything that said Smith suffered permanent Brain damage, but he did play in 8 games after that incident and then played for a few months in Canada. I think his size and lack of talent contributed to the end of his career, but the hit could have played a factor.

Smith said so on his twitter - his exact words were, his brain "permanently changed shape." That sounds like damage to me. And he did play a few games after, but that hit was essentially the end of his career. He was never the same guy. I admit to take a little bit of liberty with the phrasing, but the point is the same.
MJW

Postby Buc2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:00 am

So what happened to him?

In the 2009 NFL season, during a game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Wesley hit the punt returner Clifton Smith, who had called for a fair catch but not yet received the ball. Wesley was assessed a 15-yard penalty and ejected from the game.
Two days later, the NFL suspended Wesley for one game without pay. Wesley said he never meant to harm Smith, saying he merely mistimed his hit on him. He also said he wanted to apologize to Smith.

Detroit Lions
Wesley signed with the Detroit Lions as an unrestricted free agent on April 3, 2010. Wesley was cut after the Lions had to go to the 53-man roster. He was re-signed by the Lions on September 30, 2010. He was released on October 19.

Almost all the stories that come up are about that Oct. 18, 2009 hit. So I don't know if he retired after the Lions released him or if he tried to make it onto another team but received no further offers. I'd like to think the rest of the league decided they didn't want their team to be associated with the ***hole, but I don't know if that's the case.

After this blurb, apparently he was never heard from again...

Lions released S Dante Wesley.
Wesley was re-signed two weeks ago to provide special teams help, but wore out his welcome with a harmful personal foul against the Giants in Week 6. Tue, Oct 19, 2010 05:36:00 PM
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby SIBucsFan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:56 am

How NOT to football. You would've thought it was Wesley's first time on the football field.

SIBucsFan

Postby NYBF » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:58 am

Someone on the Bucs should have made sure that Dante Wesley wasn't able to leave the field under his own power.
NYBF

Postby SIBucsFan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:59 am

If that same hit had been performed as Clifton had the ball, the I probably would've thought that was an awesome hit, even if it still led to the eventual demise of my favorite flash-in-the-pan player of all-time.

As it stands, that was just a moronic play, probably one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen at any level.
SIBucsFan

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:17 am

Gotta love the YouTube comments on this video:

***** can't take a hit, c'mon, give me a break
pewterpirates

Postby Buc2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:39 am

SIBucsFan wrote:If that same hit had been performed as Clifton had the ball, the I probably would've thought that was an awesome hit, even if it still led to the eventual demise of my favorite flash-in-the-pan player of all-time.

As it stands, that was just a moronic play, probably one of the dumbest plays I've ever seen at any level.

He launched himself. Still illegal. Still worthy of ejection and a fine.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:14 am

NYBF wrote:Someone on the Bucs should have made sure that Dante Wesley wasn't able to leave the field under his own power.

Yep.
Alpha

Postby MJW » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:33 am

NYBF wrote:Someone on the Bucs should have made sure that Dante Wesley wasn't able to leave the field under his own power.

It honestly bothered me nobody took him out. It all happened so quickly that we weren't able to tee him up. You know, I've never been a Talib fan. His ability is supreme but he was such a knucklehead while he was here. But he was the one dude in that clip who looked ready to kill somebody. Credit for that. I wish the entire 53 and reacted the same.
MJW

Return to Team Discussions