QB Controversy

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: QB Controversy

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:07 am

Rocker wrote:
Sammich wrote:
Its the same playbook. Just because someone chooses not to use the checkdowns doesn't mean they aren't there.

I disagree. Our scheme changed rather dramatically with the Harvard Hero taking snaps.

You say our our scheme changed but you left out why it changed.
mdb1958

Postby Moozician » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:04 am

sanka wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:I liked what I saw from Fitz, but there is no controversy. He's about to be 35 years old, you don't bench a 23 year old with upside this early for someone that old. If Fitz is starting at QB in Buffalo next Sunday it's because doctors don't think Winston should play. I'm not happy with Jameis' development, but we have to see it through and not Gruden it by saying screw it just throw in the old vet. Besides, despite all the good things we saw from Fitz he still had that garbage INT at the 1 that was the ultimate nail in our coffin for the day. We were in position to make it a game and instead he threw it out of reach.

You can't be serious with this post...but not shocking coming from your dumbass.

Huh? What's wrong about his post?
Moozician

Postby Jason Bourne » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:37 am

Moozician wrote:
sanka wrote:You can't be serious with this post...but not shocking coming from your dumbass.

Sanka is being a little defensive
Jason Bourne

Postby BucaRican » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:16 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Jameis is developing like cheap scotch.

Year 3 and it still needs to mature.

Gold
BucaRican

Postby J-Stink » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 am

Unfortunately the bottle has cracks in it and won't be discovered for a few mote painful years.
J-Stink

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:51 am

Anyone who knows football to any reasonable degree would have to agree that Fitz is clearly a superior passer to Winston. His accuracy and ball placement alone is dramatically better. But no way they give up on Winston at this point. I just wonder if he will ever be able to fix his accuracy issues.
DanTurksGhost

Postby UbuntuBuc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:54 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:Anyone who knows football to any reasonable degree would have to agree that Fitz is clearly a superior passer to Winston. His accuracy and ball placement alone is dramatically better. But no way they give up on Winston at this point. I just wonder if he will ever be able to fix his accuracy issues.

Given that Fitz could not stick with QB starved teams like the Bills or Jets I would say that pretty much means Winston is a bottom of the barrel passer who has been made to look good due to Evans and other great receivers.
UbuntuBuc

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:04 pm

One good game against prevent D and Fitz is better than Jameis lol.
Heisenberg

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Heisenberg wrote:One good game against prevent D and Fitz is better than Jameis lol.

Prevent defense has nothing to do with how well the QB can place the ball. Those who fail to acknowledge the difference in accuracy between the two QB's are whistling past the graveyard. Fitz is not better than Winston, all tolled. But from a pure accuracy/ball placement/catchability standpoint Fitz demonstrated that he is better than Winston. Why is it so hard to believe that one QB can excel in one particular area over another and not be the better overall QB?

Winston's accuracy has continued to be an issue, and that inaccuracy was highlighted by some very nice throws by Fitzpatrick. I find it difficult to have intelligent discussions with people who don't seem to recognize that certain skills exist on a scale and aren't just binary.
DanTurksGhost

Postby NYBF » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:20 pm

We might get a chance to see Fitz next week...

NYBF

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Shoulder injuries can be a good thing, though. I saw a documentary not too long ago where this kid slipped on a baseball and injured his shoulder. Once it healed he was able to pitch in the majors. Not sure of the timeframe, but it was around the time Gary Busey was finishing up his career with the Cubs.

So I'm optimistic for Jameis.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Shoulder injuries can be a good thing, though. I saw a documentary not too long ago where this kid slipped on a baseball and injured his shoulder. Once it healed he was able to pitch in the majors. Not sure of the timeframe, but it was around the time Gary Busey was finishing up his career with the Cubs.

So I'm optimistic for Jameis.

Perhaps this will cure his deep ball accuracy? Also, that wasn't a documentary.. :D
DreadNaught

Postby billsfan1212 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:26 pm

Good god... you dont know how bad things are if you seriously want Fitz leading this team.
Fitz is a GREAT dude. He's the consummate teammate. He's the guy that you LOVE to root for bc hes that good of a dude.....
Of all the things Fitz is good at - quarterbacking is not one of them.
Now, has he had spurts where hes been the man? well, ya... you dont stick in the league that long unless you are competent.
Thats Fitzy in a nutshell. COMPETENT.
We had a saying, and the games we won were due to FITZMAgic and the games we lost were FITZTragic.
The magic wore off eventually and it was because of 1 single thing. I've never been able to put my finger on a reason in such a way before or after but it was SSOO painfully obvious.
Sadly, you guys got your first taste of the tragic yesterday.
NEVER FAIL - he throws the pick that puts the nail in the coffin.
Seriously, I kid you not. It happens EVERY...SINGLE....TIME!!!
I've always kinda liked Tampa and after this week I'll go back to doing so but trust me... ya cant have Brett Favre's mentality if you dont have his arm!! Thats his issue.

Now, that aside, he put it to the Bills later year on Thursday Night, and beat em once after leave with the Texans so even though hes lost a lot more than won since parting ways- some people think hes a Bills killer. He may be! But I can PROMISE you this... 9/10 times if you are down a TD and need him to drive down the field for a TD to win THE DRIVE WILL END WITH A GAME ENDING PICK.
His brain makes throws his arm cant.
Shame, because dude is a gamer. Puts it all on the line and is fun to root for.
If you need further proof, look at year 1 and then year 2 with the Jets. yr1 was a fluke (with a lot of bounces offsetting all the picks) and year 2 was just the real Fitz.
Also... Fitz also had a tendency to be terribly erratic. He'd put his receivers (as recently as last yr w/the JETS) in a bad spot with a poorly placed ball. Skipping balls. Balls behind guys... and the dreaded Fitz Rainbow!!!! When he'd throw deep the ball would totally disappear from the screen. I get touch... but this is something totally different. Only 1 of 3 things happens on a Fitz deep pass. 1) INT 2) 10 yards out of bounds incomplete 3) Opposing DBs laugh at how bad a deep ball he has *****BONUS***** sometimes a ball would get tipped up for a completion
You guys have a good thing with the kid down there... keep going that direction and hope he takes that next step.
Maybe this upcoming AFC game isnt as important as your 2 NFC games after and Fitz gets a look just to be safe- BUT- after JW comes back Dont get frustrated!
Truth is, 80% of the league (if not more) would KILL to have JW.

Meanwhile...back in Buffalo......we get to deal with MR sub 200 yrd passing and people calling for the rookie 5th rd backup....

And you guys complain about JW?!?!?!?!

At least our D will keep us in it!

I just hope for your sake that however the game shakes out ( if Fitz plays) you guys arent in a position to drive the field w/2:00 left down by 6. I wouldnt wish that feeling on anyone!!
billsfan1212

Postby BucaRican » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:41 pm

billsfan1212 wrote:Good god... you dont know how bad things are if you seriously want Fitz leading this team.
Fitz is a GREAT dude. He's the consummate teammate. He's the guy that you LOVE to root for bc hes that good of a dude.....
Now, has he had spurts where hes been the man? well, ya... you dont stick in the league that long unless you are competent.
We had a saying, and the games we won were due to FITZMAgic and the games we lost were FITZTragic.
The magic wore off eventually and it was because of 1 single thing. I've never been able to put my finger on a reason in such a way before or after but it was SSOO painfully obvious.
I've always kinda liked Tampa and after this week I'll go back to doing so but trust me... ya cant have Brett Favre's mentality if you dont have his arm!! Thats his issue.

Now, that aside, he put it to the Bills later year on Thursday Night, and beat em once after leave with the Texans so even though hes lost a lot more than won since parting ways- some people think hes a Bills killer. He may be! But I can PROMISE you this... 9/10 times if you are down a TD and need him to drive down the field for a TD to win THE DRIVE WILL END WITH A GAME ENDING PICK.
If you need further proof, look at year 1 and then year 2 with the Jets. yr1 was a fluke (with a lot of bounces offsetting all the picks) and year 2 was just the real Fitz.
Also... Fitz also had a tendency to be terribly erratic. He'd put his receivers (as recently as last yr w/the JETS) in a bad spot with a poorly placed ball. Skipping balls. Balls behind guys... and the dreaded Fitz Rainbow!!!! When he'd throw deep the ball would totally disappear from the screen. I get touch... but this is something totally different. Only 1 of 3 things happens on a Fitz deep pass. 1) INT 2) 10 yards out of bounds incomplete 3) Opposing DBs laugh at how bad a deep ball he has *****BONUS***** sometimes a ball would get tipped up for a completion
You guys have a good thing with the kid down there... keep going that direction and hope he takes that next step.
Maybe this upcoming AFC game isnt as important as your 2 NFC games after and Fitz gets a look just to be safe- BUT- after JW comes back Dont get frustrated!

Meanwhile...back in Buffalo......we get to deal with MR sub 200 yrd passing and people calling for the rookie 5th rd backup....

I just hope for your sake that however the game shakes out ( if Fitz plays) you guys arent in a position to drive the field w/2:00 left down by 6. I wouldnt wish that feeling on anyone!!

BucaRican

Postby Super K » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:49 pm

He's a bills fan you dolt..we play the bills this weekend..

Hence why he came over here to communicate today/this week..
Super K

Postby Buc2 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:52 pm

billsfan1212 wrote:Good god... you dont know how bad things are if you seriously want Fitz leading this team.

Good stuff! And welcome to BucZone. Even if it is for just this week.

Yeah...Buc fans have been losers for so long, they can tend to lose their minds now and then. JW will be fine. It may not happen this year, but I can see it happening soon. Hell...if we could play some ****ing defense, we could easily be 4-1 right now.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby PetePierson » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:56 pm

PetePierson

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:26 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:One good game against prevent D and Fitz is better than Jameis lol.

Prevent defense has nothing to do with how well the QB can place the ball. Those who fail to acknowledge the difference in accuracy between the two QB's are whistling past the graveyard. Fitz is not better than Winston, all tolled. But from a pure accuracy/ball placement/catchability standpoint Fitz demonstrated that he is better than Winston. Why is it so hard to believe that one QB can excel in one particular area over another and not be the better overall QB?

Winston's accuracy has continued to be an issue, and that inaccuracy was highlighted by some very nice throws by Fitzpatrick. I find it difficult to have intelligent discussions with people who don't seem to recognize that certain skills exist on a scale and aren't just binary.

I agree fitz has much better accuracy and touch especially on deep balls.. Winston can't throw that Evans TD yet. The brate and djax were just great catches, throws werent great. Besides that tho we called more underneath stuff due to the prevent D which inflated his numbers.. That's all I was pointing out.. DK just needs to call more plays to get Jameis in rhythm and stop Wasting djax on 30 yards outs
Heisenberg

Postby Super K » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:52 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
DanTurksGhost wrote:

I agree fitz has much better accuracy and touch especially on deep balls.. Winston can't throw that Evans TD yet. The brate and djax were just great catches, throws werent great. Besides that tho we called more underneath stuff due to the prevent D which inflated his numbers.. That's all I was pointing out.. DK just needs to call more plays to get Jameis in rhythm and stop Wasting djax on 30 yards outs

Absolutely correct..all of it..
Super K

Postby billsfan1212 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:36 pm

Thanks for the welcome! I always try and be constructive bc there's nothing worse than some jack @$$ coming in and spouting how great their team is. Usually I just observe and don't post... but we happen to have a lot of Fitz experience residing in the AFCE.
Part of the Fitz charm is that he fools fan bases.
Everyone in Buffalo tried warning Jets fans who came to visit on the Bills forum claiming we were dumb for parting ways with the 2nd coming. To their credit, they came back last year and admitted they had been fooled.
The proof is in the pudding, if the man is that good- why has he been such a journey man?
Now, that said IMO (nothing more) a team should be so lucky to have him as a back up bc as I mentioned earlier...hes a capable qb.maybe one of the top 3 backups bc he can come in in a pinch and be successful.
He's just prone to dumb mistakes at costly times.
He gets his WR crunched. He makes a crazy nice 25 yard pass and then bounces balls or way overthrows.

The 2 biggest tools he lacks is a big arm (which you need if you make the decisions he does) and consistency.

I don't mean this in an insulting way at all and dont mean to overstep....
But reading things like he's more accurate and has a better deep ball than JW...
It makes me cringe.
TRUST ME, you DON'T want him as your starter full time unless you enjoy 6-10/8-8 seasons.
It's like that Newton Law for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction?
It gets old real quick watching a big play, followed by a dumb pick.

And I get it to a degree because we have posters come and visit from other teams saying they'd love to have Tyrod.
There might be a similar thought process in that they are both stellar athletes... but the difference is TT has ONE 300+ yard game (and he needed IT to do it) in 3 years.
Your guy has shown flashes of being able to put a team on his back.
We had to totally redesign our O and get rid of all the 3 step drops bc TT couldn't process the game fast enough.
On a team with more talent, TT might be good enough to keep your team in it a la Trent Dilfer (totally different style mind you, but same point). We win games despite him, not in spite.
Somehow we have beat Denver and ATL (and although at the time the jets were a given- they've come on), but that's bc the D played lights out.
I just feel like if you guys are going to win this game it's gotta be bc your O beats our D. We won't score many TDs and will just pile on FGs. Many times this year after turnovers we wlda been better off kicking a fg on 1st bc all we did was lose yards on the ensuing downs and had to rely on our kicker booting 55 yrd bombs.

This will be a good game.
The Bills are looking to regain their form in the run game.

From a Bills fan base POV, the best case for us is we are rooting for Fitz to start. 2nd best case - JW starts but isn't himself bc of injury.(let it be known i dont nean that in a way that we are rooting for an injury- just if thats the senerio) We cross our fingers we don't face a healthy JW bc to us, it's the difference between a win and a loss
Last edited by billsfan1212 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billsfan1212

Postby billsfan1212 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:46 pm

Super K wrote:He's a bills fan you dolt..we play the bills this weekend..

Hence why he came over here to communicate today/this week..

Lol, sad I missed what this was in response to before it was deleted
billsfan1212

Postby nhbucsfan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:59 pm

billsfan is right. I see plenty of AFCE games up here. He may fool you for a while, then BAM! A 5 interception game.

He’s good for mop up duty, but you’ll get your heart broken if you expect any more than that.
nhbucsfan

Postby billsfan1212 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:36 pm

nhbucsfan wrote:billsfan is right. I see plenty of AFCE games up here. He may fool you for a while, then BAM! A 5 interception game.

He’s good for mop up duty, but you’ll get your heart broken if you expect any more than that.

Wow, I wish I had have just said that rather than writing a book lol.
Straight to the point and gets it across!!;)
billsfan1212

Postby JameisLives » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:59 pm

DanTurksGhost wrote:

according to profootballfocus no qb in the nfl makes makes more "big time throws" or has more positive graded throws than jameis winston, what keeps winston from being a top 5 qb is he is 7th in also having the worst graded throws as well

https://www.profootballfocus.com/nfl/pl ... nston/9434

jameis rated 8th overall by pff
JameisLives

Postby DanTurksGhost » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:41 pm

JameisLives wrote:what keeps winston from being a top 5 qb is he is 7th in also having the worst graded throws as well

Precisely. This sums up his inaccuracy very well.
DanTurksGhost

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:43 am

So who starts? Bonnie Tyler or the slower decision making Jameis?
mdb1958

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:01 pm

Moozician wrote:
sanka wrote:You can't be serious with this post...but not shocking coming from your dumbass.

I'm a bit confused by it too considering I stood up for his boy Jameis and said he shouldn't be benched but whatever.
Miller4Prez64

Postby A Man's Part » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:00 am

Alright.. We'll make Fitz the starter and Jameis the closer. You've convinced me.
A Man's Part

Postby billsfan1212 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:42 am

If that was possible, you'd be on to something!!!
dude(s) would be unstoppable!!
billsfan1212

Postby deltbucs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Good post, dude.

Your comments about throwing a pick to lose the game brings back some vivid memories of Brian Griese in a Bucs uniform.
deltbucs

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions