Mike Smith is a ****ing disgrace

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Mike Smith is a ****ing disgrace

Postby KiffininCanton » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:57 pm

soft zone **** that last worked in this league 15 years ago
KiffininCanton

Re: Mike Smith is a ****ing disgrace

Postby JameisLives » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:01 pm

mike smith and buddy koetter are trying to sabotage winston lol.. but it wont work
JameisLives

Postby Jason Bourne » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:03 pm

JameisLives wrote:mike smith and buddy koetter are trying to sabotage winston lol.. but it wont work

Go away you stupid mother ****er
Jason Bourne

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:06 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
JameisLives wrote:mike smith and buddy koetter are trying to sabotage winston lol.. but it wont work

Go away you stupid mother ****er

Just block his ass and for the love of God, don't quote him.... Then it pops up on my feed
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby Patrick McIrish » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:07 pm

Absolutely pathetic!

We are getting blown off the ball....

We can't get a pass rush and we can't cover anyone.

Players desperately trying to huddle up on the sidelines and regroup while our DC is eating chicken fingers up in the press box.

It's a ****ing disgrace!
Patrick McIrish

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:28 pm

Trash
Heisenberg

Postby Caradoc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:34 pm

Selmon Rules wrote:
Jason Bourne wrote: Go away you stupid mother ****er

Just block his ass and for the love of God, don't quote him.... Then it pops up on my feed

I honestly didn't know we had a block function. "Friends and Foes" is a bizarre descriptor.
Caradoc

Postby Doctor » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:37 pm

That's odd, I didn't see Mike Smith on the field biting on play actions or missing tackles....
Doctor

Postby sanka » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:39 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:Absolutely pathetic!

We are getting blown off the ball....

We can't get a pass rush and we can't cover anyone.

Players desperately trying to huddle up on the sidelines and regroup while our DC is eating chicken fingers up in the press box.

It's a ****ing disgrace!

Patrick you have been waiting for this thread.
sanka

Postby sanka » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 pm

Doctor wrote:That's odd, I didn't see Mike Smith on the field biting on play actions or missing tackles....

Maybe you need to prescribe yourself some glasses...the defense epitomizes what the defensive cord. is calling.
sanka

Postby Doctor » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:50 pm

sanka wrote:
Doctor wrote:That's odd, I didn't see Mike Smith on the field biting on play actions or missing tackles....

Maybe you need to prescribe yourself some glasses...the defense epitomizes what the defensive cord. is calling.

So he's calling for missed tackles? In that case, yeah, fire him!
Doctor

Postby Caradoc » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:42 pm

Well, if he has no responsibility, why the hell are we paying him.
Caradoc

Postby Alpha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:14 am

Mike Smith is and has been one of the most well respected DC's in this league for many years.

If you think he's a part of the problem, then you aren't part of the solution.

Maybe we should change coaches every 2 years. Then we can be San Francisco or Cleveland or Jacksonville.

Because THAT'S worked exactly ZERO per cent of the time.

You people need to find your chill. Quickly.
Alpha

Postby Rocker » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 am

Alpha wrote:Mike Smith is and has been one of the most well respected DC's in this league for many years.

This. All of this.
Rocker

Postby mdb1958 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:15 am

I wrongfully thought because he let it be known that the cornerback has leeway on how far off to play, someone would step it up and start contesting plays. Boy did I get that one wrong.
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:41 am

mdb1958 wrote:I wrongfully thought because he let it be known that the cornerback has leeway on how far off to play, someone would step it up and start contesting plays. Boy did I get that one wrong.

I can see why you'd get your hopes up, but I took coaches answer as more of a deflection..

HE'S the coach/DC/boss..tell them to play closer..and if they don't, yank'em and put someone in who will..

Ironically, late in the game VH3 played more press/right coverage and ,what do ya know, he played better..
Super K

Postby deltbucs » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:12 am

Alpha wrote:Mike Smith is and has been one of the most well respected DC's in this league for many years.

Maybe we should change coaches every 2 years. Then we can be San Francisco or Cleveland or Jacksonville.

Because THAT'S worked exactly ZERO per cent of the time.

You people need to find your chill. Quickly.

...Or Tampa.
deltbucs

Postby Sammich » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:45 pm

The old saying 'You can't make chicken salad out of chicken ****' applies here. We all see the lack of pass rush. We all know the weaknesses in the secondary. Don't get beat deep, let them make all the underneath stuff, and hope they **** up at some point is about all we can manage.
Sammich

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Weren't his defenses pretty bad his last couple years in atl? Part of why hes not there anymore? He keeps playing Hargreaves off and he continues to get ate up.. Him and Koetter seem stubborn to stick with **** that's not working
Heisenberg

Postby KiffininCanton » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:22 pm

The ol Bill Muir argument
KiffininCanton

Postby BucaRican » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:26 pm

You know who's and even bigger disgrace. VH was it me or did he not want to tackle AP or anyone for that fact. But every-time he saw AP it was like the boogeyman was coming to get him
BucaRican

Postby Caradoc » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:37 pm

All our Defensive coaches have a respected track record. It's hard to figure out how this is happening. Our DL is a hot mess right now, despite having talented players.

It's not just missing an edge rusher, we have DTs and DEs trying to hit the same gap and bouncing off of each other, they don't seem to know what the guys around them are doing and disrupt each other rather than disrupting the offense. This is disrupting the LBs from getting their fits.

It would be nice to blitz more, but we can't because the back end sucks so bad. VH3 is probably not even the third best corner on this roster at this point. Staff needs to accept that and bump him down the pecking order. Otherwise he's just a free on-demand completion for an offense. Justin Evans needs to be starting at FS, he will make mistakes, but he's clearly an improvement on Conte (Little known fact, "Conte" is Latin for "garbage") and needs development.
Caradoc

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 am

Quarterbacks have a 128.7 rating when targeting Vernon Hargreaves and a 68.6 rating when targeting Brent Grimes. (h/t @PFF) #Bucs

I dont have the numbers but are teams going after the other players in our secondary even more because of Grimes success last year.
mdb1958

Postby Moozician » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:52 am

KiffininCanton wrote:soft zone **** that last worked in this league 15 years ago

This is where I agree with Irish... With Smith up in the booth, who is grabbing these guys and yelling at them to do better? The players wont do it. That's he coaches/coordinator's job.
Moozician

Postby RedLeader » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Moozician wrote:
KiffininCanton wrote:soft zone **** that last worked in this league 15 years ago

This is where I agree with Irish... With Smith up in the booth, who is grabbing these guys and yelling at them to do better? The players wont do it. That's he coaches/coordinator's job.

FaceTime.
RedLeader

Postby Cheb » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:18 pm

Moozician wrote:

When the coordinator is in the booth, position coaches can have those face-to-face conversations. We have a secondary coach (Jon Hoke) and a defensive backs coach (Brett Maxie) on the sidelines every gameday. Presumably they aren't just relaxing and enjoying the beautiful Sunday weather.

And yelling in and of itself is not constructive. Offering advice to fix their technique to improve their play does much better. If the player refuses to accept that advice, or is unable to meet your standards, then by all means they should take a seat to relax and enjoy the beautiful Sunday weather.
Cheb

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:25 pm

If I had to coach this secondary to play behind those defensive ends I'd sit in that booth stress eating, too.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby A Man's Part » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:27 pm

Cheb wrote:
Moozician wrote:

When the coordinator is in the booth, position coaches can have those face-to-face conversations. We have a secondary coach (Jon Hoke) and a defensive backs coach (Brett Maxie) on the sidelines every gameday. Presumably they aren't just relaxing and enjoying the beautiful Sunday weather.

And yelling in and of itself is not constructive. Offering advice to fix their technique to improve their play does much better. If the player refuses to accept that advice, or is unable to meet your standards, then by all means they should take a seat to relax and enjoy the beautiful Sunday weather.

good reply
A Man's Part

Postby MJW » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:43 pm

Mike Smith in the booth is not the problem.

Mike Smith playing, "Keep everything in front of you, no matter what!" ball is the problem.
MJW

Postby Cheb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:43 am

MJW wrote:Mike Smith in the booth is not the problem.

Mike Smith playing, "Keep everything in front of you, no matter what!" ball is the problem.

There's nothing wrong with keeping the ball in front of you or the zone coverage that allows that philosophy to work. The issue is contesting routes.

Our Superbowl team ran zone the vast majority of the time, but they contested every route in a very physical manner. There was lots of bumping and jamming, very much crowding the receiver's workspace. The Seahawks run a shitton of zone and want to keep everything in front of them, and they are one of the best defenses in the league year after year. Ditto with the Crimson Tide in college.

What you don't see from great zone teams are ten to twelve yard cushions consistently given, unless it's 3rd and 25. Brent Grimes has the skillset to play off as far back as he wants, but VH3 gets abused every time.

Show him some Ronde tape, and tell him to touch the receiver every snap or he's benched.
Cheb

Next

Return to Team Discussions