Mike Smith is a ****ing disgrace

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Mike Smith is a ****ing disgrace

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:30 am

Cheb wrote:
MJW wrote:Mike Smith in the booth is not the problem.

Mike Smith playing, "Keep everything in front of you, no matter what!" ball is the problem.

There's nothing wrong with keeping the ball in front of you or the zone coverage that allows that philosophy to work. The issue is contesting routes.

Our Superbowl team ran zone the vast majority of the time, but they contested every route in a very physical manner. There was lots of bumping and jamming, very much crowding the receiver's workspace. The Seahawks run a shitton of zone and want to keep everything in front of them, and they are one of the best defenses in the league year after year. Ditto with the Crimson Tide in college.

What you don't see from great zone teams are ten to twelve yard cushions consistently given, unless it's 3rd and 25. Brent Grimes has the skillset to play off as far back as he wants, but VH3 gets abused every time.

Show him some Ronde tape, and tell him to touch the receiver every snap or he's benched.

THIS ^^^

It's not what is being called on defense, it's how it's being played/executed. Which falls on the coaches as well as the players. I just don't buy into the narrative that the defensive playcalls or scheme is the issue.
DreadNaught

Postby Sammich » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:16 am

Yeah it isn't a scheme issue when your nose tackle gets blown off his spot by a single guard or your corner gets juked out of his cleats by a runningback 10 years his elder. Its just shitty play.
Sammich

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:39 am

We're still dealing with the damn train wreck that Dominik left behind. Licht has had the D on back burner since he arrived in Tampa trying to fix at least one side of the ball, offense, and it reflects on the field when you see these guys that Smith has to work with on defense. Schiano and Dom simply retaining Bennett and Talib is basically the difference between having a top 5 defense and what we have now.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby deltbucs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:26 pm

I Are Serious Poster wrote:We're still dealing with the damn train wreck that Dominik left behind. Licht has had the D on back burner since he arrived in Tampa trying to fix at least one side of the ball, offense, and it reflects on the field when you see these guys that Smith has to work with on defense. Schiano and Dom simply retaining Bennett and Talib is basically the difference between having a top 5 defense and what we have now.

Don't forget that awesome trade to rent Revis for a year instead of just drafting Rhodes...who is certainly in the conversation for best CB in the league right now.
deltbucs

Postby Super K » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm

deltbucs wrote:
I Are Serious Poster wrote:We're still dealing with the damn train wreck that Dominik left behind. Licht has had the D on back burner since he arrived in Tampa trying to fix at least one side of the ball, offense, and it reflects on the field when you see these guys that Smith has to work with on defense. Schiano and Dom simply retaining Bennett and Talib is basically the difference between having a top 5 defense and what we have now.

Don't forget that awesome trade to rent Revis for a year instead of just drafting Rhodes...who is certainly in the conversation for best CB in the league right now.

Man, I wanted Rhodes in red n pewter pretty damn bad..

He and JW are the ONLY Noles I've ever banged the table for..
Super K

Postby deltbucs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:18 pm

Add VHIII, himself, to the list of people that don't understand why he's playing so far off in coverage. WT ****, kid?

Pretty good, short interview...
https://www.pewterreport.com/bucs-hargr ... producing/
Hargreaves was asked why he gives up so much cushion to opposing receivers when that’s not called for in Smith’s defense.

“That’s a good question and that’s just something on the field or something I’m seeing or something that I think might happen,” Hargreaves said. “It’s a hard question to answer, to give you a direct answer. That’s something I have to watch on film and realize I have to scoot up some more.”
deltbucs

Postby BCULAW » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:54 pm

deltbucs wrote:Add VHIII, himself, to the list of people that don't understand why he's playing so far off in coverage. WT ****, kid?

Hargreaves was asked why he gives up so much cushion to opposing receivers when that’s not called for in Smith’s defense.

“That’s a good question and that’s just something on the field or something I’m seeing or something that I think might happen,” Hargreaves said. “It’s a hard question to answer, to give you a direct answer. That’s something I have to watch on film and realize I have to scoot up some more.”

I can't understand what is going on with VHIII. He played lights out in the preseason "scrimmage games" but has rarely come close to making a play since the real lights have been shining. Is he the defense's version of Dexter Jackson (the 2nd round WR/KR - not the SB MVP)? I don't buy that this is part of a learning curve. This is pure "deer in a headlights" type stuff - too scared to react. You hate to waste a fairly high 1st round pick on a guy who thinks the stage is too big.

As badly as he is being picked on, you'd think we'd see some adjustment/resolve from him. I've yet to see ANYTHING that makes me think he thinks he can play at this level.

BTW - I just found this site, and am posting for the first time. Looks like a great place for discussion. Please take it easy on me while I get my feet wet!!!
BCULAW

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:05 pm

deltbucs wrote:Add VHIII, himself, to the list of people that don't understand why he's playing so far off in coverage. WT ****, kid?

There is a 2:38 video up on the Bucs site

VH3 atleast seem aware he's struggling and knows he needs make more plays and be more productive. He's a bright and talented kid, I think he'll figure it out. Hard to figure out why he's playing so conservative on so many plays. When he decides to play aggressive he does well, so it's really befuddling.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:14 pm

BCULAW wrote:

I can't understand what is going on with VHIII. He played lights out in the preseason "scrimmage games" but has rarely come close to making a play since the real lights have been shining. Is he the defense's version of Dexter Jackson (the 2nd round WR/KR - not the SB MVP)? I don't buy that this is part of a learning curve. This is pure "deer in a headlights" type stuff - too scared to react. You hate to waste a fairly high 1st round pick on a guy who thinks the stage is too big.

As badly as he is being picked on, you'd think we'd see some adjustment/resolve from him. I've yet to see ANYTHING that makes me think he thinks he can play at this level.

BTW - I just found this site, and am posting for the first time. Looks like a great place for discussion. Please take it easy on me while I get my feet wet!!!

It's the best Bucs discussion board on the interwebs, so welcome...

I understand fans are frustrated w/ VH3, I am also. But I disagree that he hasn't demonstrated he has the ability to play at this level. The frustration comes from knowing he can and should be playing better (VH3 has been a microcosm of the team in that regard this year). Vern is bright and talented football player that is struggling right now. He certainly deserves criticism for his play but lets now write the kid off 20 games into his career.

Imho, Vern needs to trust himself and his ability. When he plays aggressive he does a good job, but for whatever reason he gives way too much respect to the opposition on certain plays.
DreadNaught

Postby deltbucs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:34 pm

BCULAW wrote:

Welcome! You'll be fine. We tend to take it easy on newbies.
deltbucs

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:45 pm

BCULAW wrote:

Welcome to the Buczone Pit of Misery. Dilly, dilly!
I Are Serious Poster

Postby Moozician » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:16 pm

I think that VH3 KNOWS that the DL won't pressure the QB quickly enough. No faith in the DL forces him to keep the Receivers in front of him. Chucking the receiver at the LOS means nothing if the QB has time to readjust "timing routes". I don't know a good solution other than to get a GOOD RDE, to rush the QB on his blind side.
Moozician

Postby Moozician » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:21 pm

I Are Serious Poster wrote:
BCULAW wrote:

Dilly, Dilly!!
Moozician

Postby Caradoc » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:10 pm

Moozician wrote:I think that VH3 KNOWS that the DL won't pressure the QB quickly enough. No faith in the DL forces him to keep the Receivers in front of him. Chucking the receiver at the LOS means nothing if the QB has time to readjust "timing routes". I don't know a good solution other than to get a GOOD RDE, to rush the QB on his blind side.

You’re reaching hard. Yes, we’ve surrendered some deep passes off of too much pocket time, but more often the problem is qbs have open targets too fast for any DE to get there. DL has enough on their shoulders, no need to blame them for VH3sucking too. That’s all on him. That cushion isn’t a “don’t get beat deep” cushion, it’s absurdly far off. It’s bad CB play no matter what is happening at DL.
Caradoc

Postby Cheb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:20 pm

Moozician wrote:I think that VH3 KNOWS that the DL won't pressure the QB quickly enough. No faith in the DL forces him to keep the Receivers in front of him. Chucking the receiver at the LOS means nothing if the QB has time to readjust "timing routes". I don't know a good solution other than to get a GOOD RDE, to rush the QB on his blind side.

Even if the quarterback has a clean pocket, disrupting the timing of the receiver's route can and will lead to incompletions, tips, and interceptions.

Besides, the relationship between rush and coverage is symbiotic; when one does well, so does the other. If your physical play with the receiver buys even a quarter second of a delay on the route, that could be just the margin of difference your teammates need to disrupt the throw with a rushed throw, a smaller pocket, a hit, or even a sack.

Throwing up your hands and saying "why even try" is bad. Worse than bad. It is a cowardly mentality. If you have so little faith in your teammates that you view your job as so much damage control so you don't get personally embarrassed, and you play with such shitty and lazy technique that it is in fact you who are sabotaging your teammates and not the other way around, I could not kick you off my team fast enough.

I wouldn't kick a player off my team for many reasons, but ****ing your teammates over to soothe a wounded ego is certainly on that short list.
Cheb

Postby Heisenberg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 pm

So why isn't Smith stepping up and telling VH3 to play tighter and whatever else he sees needs to be done? Letting a 2nd year guy that just admitted he's lost out there decide how far off to play isn't very smart
Heisenberg

Postby Super K » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:31 pm

Heisenberg wrote:So why isn't Smith stepping up and telling VH3 to play tighter and whatever else he sees needs to be done? Letting a 2nd year guy that just admitted he's lost out there decide how far off to play isn't very smart

Agreed...
Super K

Postby NYBF » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:09 am

Moozician wrote:

Dilly, Dilly!!

[OFF TOPIC]

Hysterical to me that ABInBev spends millions to scoop up all these breweries to try and take back shelf space, then spends millions more bashing them in their own commercials.
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am

Heisenberg wrote:So why isn't Smith stepping up and telling VH3 to play tighter and whatever else he sees needs to be done? Letting a 2nd year guy that just admitted he's lost out there decide how far off to play isn't very smart

You know how loud you have to yell from the booth to be heard on the sideline?
NYBF

Postby MJW » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:42 am

DreadNaught wrote:
BCULAW wrote:

It's the best Bucs discussion board on the interwebs, so welcome...

I understand fans are frustrated w/ VH3, I am also. But I disagree that he hasn't demonstrated he has the ability to play at this level. The frustration comes from knowing he can and should be playing better (VH3 has been a microcosm of the team in that regard this year). Vern is bright and talented football player that is struggling right now. He certainly deserves criticism for his play but lets now write the kid off 20 games into his career.

Imho, Vern needs to trust himself and his ability. When he plays aggressive he does a good job, but for whatever reason he gives way too much respect to the opposition on certain plays.

I can remember 1-2 nice plays from his rookie year...but honestly, HAS he demonstrated any elite ability at this level yet?

We need to be real about something - cornerbacks bust a ton, and all of them looked like world-beaters in college. Just in the last decade or so, we've had guys like Tye Hill, Mike Jenkins, Kyle Wilson, Mo Claiborne, Dee Milliner, Justin Gilbert, and some others come in and wash out. They all looked great in college.

It IS too early to throw in the towel on VHIII, absolutely. But there's this attitude of, "Well, he was an aggressive, nasty corner in college so there's no reason he won't become that in the NFL, too" that kind of comes with drafting corners high. I'm not saying you're doing that. It's just hard to see a guy do what VHIII did against future NFL receivers in the SEC and understand why he's not doing it in the NFL. But a lot of them don't.
MJW

Postby MJW » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:43 am

Cheb wrote:
MJW wrote:Mike Smith in the booth is not the problem.

Mike Smith playing, "Keep everything in front of you, no matter what!" ball is the problem.

There's nothing wrong with keeping the ball in front of you or the zone coverage that allows that philosophy to work. The issue is contesting routes.

Our Superbowl team ran zone the vast majority of the time, but they contested every route in a very physical manner. There was lots of bumping and jamming, very much crowding the receiver's workspace. The Seahawks run a shitton of zone and want to keep everything in front of them, and they are one of the best defenses in the league year after year. Ditto with the Crimson Tide in college.

What you don't see from great zone teams are ten to twelve yard cushions consistently given, unless it's 3rd and 25. Brent Grimes has the skillset to play off as far back as he wants, but VH3 gets abused every time.

Show him some Ronde tape, and tell him to touch the receiver every snap or he's benched.

Thank you for explaining zone coverage to me, Cheb. I was wondering what I'd been watching the last 30 years.
MJW

Postby Moozician » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:11 am

Question... Are there any Head Coaches that sit in the booth during a game?
Moozician

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:25 am

Moozician wrote:Question... Are there any Head Coaches that sit in the booth during a game?

No. But IIRC when Sean Payton tore his knee up in 2011 he coached a few games from the booth.
Bootz2004

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:05 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Moozician wrote:Question... Are there any Head Coaches that sit in the booth during a game?

No. But IIRC when Sean Payton tore his knee up in 2011 he coached a few games from the booth.

Didn't Shula ride around in a golf cart when he tore his ACL?
IchabodCrane84

Postby Doctor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:09 am

Super K wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Don't forget that awesome trade to rent Revis for a year instead of just drafting Rhodes...who is certainly in the conversation for best CB in the league right now.

He and JW are the ONLY Noles I've ever banged

snicker
Doctor

Postby Super K » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:13 am

Doctor wrote:
Super K wrote:

He and JW are the ONLY Noles I've ever banged

snicker

Haha..

Low hanging fruit, but still a nice kick in the crotch..
Super K

Postby Doctor » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:21 am

The idea of keeping everything in front of you is that when the DL gets pressure the pass can be disrupted and picked off. The problem is that we are getting no pass rush. Really, it's been pathetic. Even McCoy has been struggling on his one on ones. Cheb nailed it when he says it goes both ways. By playing too far off and cautious, the QB can get a quicker completion before the DL really has much of a chance. Contesting a WR, forcing him off his route or disrupting the timing helps teh DL. But if you do all that and the DL doesn't get anywhere, it doesn't matter- and in fact usually, results in a bigger play. The two units are hurting each other here.

One way to help bring them together it to dial up blitzes early with press coverage. Set a tone early for getting to the QB so even when we don't blitz, at least the tone will be set and we can get a QB antsy. Now, that probably won't work against a Brady or a Ryan or even Newton, but it will vs Taylor, Cutler, etc. Right now neither unit it playing with much confidence.
Doctor

Postby StillCSG » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:05 pm

Mike Smith's sorry ass needs to WALK back to Tampa
StillCSG

Postby KiffininCanton » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:15 pm

StillCSG wrote:Mike Smith's sorry ass needs to WALK back to Tampa

This guy should of got fired at the airport, Lane Kiffin style, this evening
KiffininCanton

Postby Truebuc » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:51 pm

BCULAW wrote:

Dilly Dilly
Truebuc

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions