Jac Smith waived...?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Jac Smith waived...?

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:14 am

Channing Ward? The only DL on out practice squad.

I wish I knew the story with Collin Bevins
mdb1958

Postby MJW » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:47 am

DreadNaught wrote:Jaq Smith may have been overrated, but he had much better production than Ryan Russell and Will Clarke, which are two guys taking those snaps right now.

We have no edge rush. Noah Spence is a nice complimentary guy, but not nearly enough.

We have 1 sack in three games, and none against the mediocre Vikings and Giants offensive lines. Smith must really have looked terrible. Russell seems like a great dude, but he's a guy, and Clarke is trash.

If we had a mortal instead of Gerald McCoy, we might have one of the worst 4-3 DLs in the league right now.

BTW, what happened to Robert Ayers? He's been active against the run but invisible as a rusher.
MJW

Postby ComingThisFall » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:18 am

Our starting front 4 - Ayers McCoy Swaggy Gholston - has done well stopping the run. Couldn't get off the field against the Vikings, but still did ok against the run. And that was without Swaggy.

Opposing offenses gamble against McCoy's getoff by trying to run by him imo. So he blows up the backfield a ton but it's not usually on a passing play.

Noah Spence has been good for one splash play a game and we've thrown minimal blitzes at opposing QBs. Drew Bledsoe could throw for 400 yards on us tonight.

One surprising thing is there haven't been a lot of offensive holding calls this year. Even against us. Kind of strange in Goodell's pass happy nfl
ComingThisFall

Postby MJW » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:22 am

ComingThisFall wrote:Our starting front 4 - Ayers McCoy Swaggy Gholston - has done well stopping the run. Couldn't get off the field against the Vikings, but still did ok against the run. And that was without Swaggy.

Opposing offenses gamble against McCoy's getoff by trying to run by him imo. So he blows up the backfield a ton but it's not usually on a passing play.

Noah Spence has been good for one splash play a game and we've thrown minimal blitzes at opposing QBs. Drew Bledsoe could throw for 400 yards on us tonight.

One surprising thing is there haven't been a lot of offensive holding calls this year. Even against us. Kind of strange in Goodell's pass happy nfl

Yeah, it's only fair to acknowledge that they've done a good job stopping the run, but considering that's a strength for all four of our starters, it's not surprising. Unfortunately, their complete inability to get pressure means teams can use the passing game as the running game.

I really hope Mike Smith has some magical ideas for how to generate pressure tonight or Brady is going to go off.
MJW

Postby Deuce » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:47 am

All I've wanted to see is us line up with Smith-anyone-McCoy-Spence. I guess I'll never get to see it now.

Surprised to see everyone call him "overrated" all of the sudden. Sure, he's no All-Pro but he was our best pass rusher here for a couple of years. 2015 Jac Smith would still probably be our best.
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:53 am

Deuce wrote:All I've wanted to see is us line up with Smith-anyone-McCoy-Spence. I guess I'll never get to see it now.

Surprised to see everyone call him "overrated" all of the sudden. Sure, he's no All-Pro but he was our best pass rusher here for a couple of years. 2015 Jac Smith would still probably be our best.

Actually we did see that lineup this past Sunday. And I didn't realize Gerald McCoy got cut. Smith has never been our best pass rusher. Jacquies gets a handful of sacks and all of a sudden he's a necessity. He's inconsistent. He's injury prone. He's a 1 trick pony and has done nothing since 2015. This is another case of the old Bucs fan line of thinking. Confusing mediocrity for excellence.
Bootz2004

Postby Buc2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 am

DanTurksGhost wrote:I wasn't expecting him to be waived outright at this point, but I knew he wasn't the long-term solution. Too many issues with availability and spotty production. He looked good at times, but not good enough. We can't let QB's go game after game without putting them on the ground consistently. McCoy is the only one who can constantly get in the quarterback's face, and you can see that the lack of help is letting the opposing teams go on long, time consuming drives that are wearing McCoy down. He often starts the game living in backfield but fatigue limits his effectiveness as the game wears on.

Gotta have help up front to take the pressure off our secondary. Thank goodness Brent Grimes played a helluva game, or we'd be looking at 1-2 which sounds a lot worse than 2-1 going against New England. Hopefully there's someone out there that can come in and do a little more.

The bolded part is exactly what I was bitching about during (or maybe after) the Giants game. They have McCoy out there, busting his ass, commanding double teams and still getting penetration, while the other 3 can't seem to do squat beyond stopping the run. It's maddening to us fans. I can only imagine how McCoy feels. Then, like you said, he's finally wore out come the 4th quarter and then there's no stopping the other team's offense. You're right...if not for Grimes, we'd be 1-2 right now.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:04 am

I admire Noah Spence playing with a bum shoulder, but it's obvious he's not the same pass rusher when he's hampered by that shoulder.
pewterpirates

Postby acaton » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:17 am

So far from what I've seen it will have no impact on our D-line play.

Short, fat and slow often does the trick...45ACP
acaton

Postby Deuce » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:54 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:All I've wanted to see is us line up with Smith-anyone-McCoy-Spence. I guess I'll never get to see it now.

Actually we did see that lineup this past Sunday. And I didn't realize Gerald McCoy got cut. Smith has never been our best pass rusher. Jacquies gets a handful of sacks and all of a sudden he's a necessity. He's inconsistent. He's injury prone. He's a 1 trick pony and has done nothing since 2015. This is another case of the old Bucs fan line of thinking. Confusing mediocrity for excellence.

I figured someone would say something like that. Of course, by pass rusher, I meant situational pass rusher.

In 2014, Smith had 6.5, more than everyone on the team but McCoy.

In 2015, Smith had 7, more than everyone but McCoy.

In 2016, McCoy 7, Ayers 6.5.

In 2017, so far Spence leads with 1.

I guess the injury took a lot out of him but imo, until we have someone else get at least 7 sacks, I wouldn't call Smith "overrated" or say it's not a big loss.
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 am

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I figured someone would say something like that. Of course, by pass rusher, I meant situational pass rusher.

I guess the injury took a lot out of him but imo, until we have someone else get at least 7 sacks, I wouldn't call Smith "overrated" or say it's not a big loss.

You're talking about a handful of sacks. 6.5, 7 sacks isn't good. That was his peak and now he's already on the downtown. He doesn't bring consistent heat off the edge. He was never that good. Yes, he's overrated and No it's not a big loss.
Bootz2004

Postby Deuce » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:07 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

You're talking about a handful of sacks. 6.5, 7 sacks isn't good. That was his peak and now he's already on the downtown. He doesn't bring consistent heat off the edge. He was never that good. Yes, he's overrated and No it's not a big loss.

Well, our current collection of DE's must be complete garbage then. Because most of them haven't sniffed a "not good" 7 sacks in a season.
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:29 am

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Well, our current collection of DE's must be complete garbage then. Because most of them haven't sniffed a "not good" 7 sacks in a season.

They aren't very good either. But that doesn't mean Smith is somehow an integral player.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:46 am

Bootz, who else other than you is using words like "necessary, excellence, or integral" to describe Jaq Smith in this thread? You're making an argument out of thin air.

I have no doubt his injury status is keeping him from being the guy who was able to collect some QB sacks in 2014-2015 and the FO feels he can't even be that type of player any longer.

But he's not old at all, so the team (and fans) probably had hopes he would return that type of player. Which would've been a welcome addition off the edge to current cast.

I don't see anyone here saying the season is lost or that Jaq Smith was some amazing player.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if we sign Isahiah Johnson off the PS. 2 safeties down, we need bodies.

And that's exactly what happened. Isaiah Johnson promoted to active roster.
Bootz2004

Postby Jason Bourne » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Wouldn't surprise me if we sign Isahiah Johnson off the PS. 2 safeties down, we need bodies.

And that's exactly what happened. Isaiah Johnson promoted to active roster.

I read the same thing 2 days ago ... great prediction tho

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football ... ng/2339715
Jason Bourne

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

It doesn't matter how many sacks he had two years ago. He's had serious injuries and clearly is not the same guy. Before the serious injuries he was a mediocre fringe player, so it's a bit much to expect him to be as good as that after injuries. I like the guy and appreciate his work here, but if the team looks at him and sees he's not as capable as he was in 2015 I don't have an issue with the move.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Selmon Rules » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:08 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Don't mistake me for trying to say he was the second coming of Simeon Rice but the sad fact remains is that he was still better than anything else we had.... Injuries suck the life out of some players and I can only assume he no longer had what "burst" he had a few years ago....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:28 am

Smith made his Lions debut last night. Had two QB hits.

Better than anything we have......
pewterpirates

Postby Babeinbucland » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:23 pm

Of course he did #itsabucslife
Babeinbucland

Postby Super K » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:59 pm

Babeinbucland wrote:Of course he did #itsabucslife
Super K

Previous

Return to Team Discussions