Aguayo released!

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Aguayo released!

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:28 am

Kicker news: The #Bucs have released former 2nd round pick Roberto Aguayo after last night's misses.
Phantom Phenom

Re: Aguayo released!

Postby Hatter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:29 am

Can't say Im surprised but I figured it would take a game or two more.
Hatter

Postby sanka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:31 am

I love this guy at FSU...couldn't miss..I just don't know what happened to him in the Pros.
sanka

Postby Phantom Phenom » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:32 am

sanka wrote:I love this guy at FSU...couldn't miss..I just don't know what happened to him in the Pros.

I think he'll boumce back with other team
Phantom Phenom

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:36 am

They could have stretched it out a few more HarkKnocks episodes ... but yeah ... cut bait when it's known
Crocaneers

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:37 am

I Are Serious Poster

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:42 am

When we drafted him I went through all the same reactions you guys did for five seconds before wheeling immediately around to wishing we could just cut him for Barth right then. Glad we're moving on.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:46 am

sanka wrote:I love this guy at FSU...couldn't miss..I just don't know what happened to him in the Pros.

He was declining each season while at FSU, which isn't the career trajectory you're looking for in a high draft pick.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby Cheb » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 am

It is better for him and better for the Bucs.

I wonder if he perhaps said or did something after the game, or if our staff had just had enough.

Hard Knocks in this matter should be very educational.
Cheb

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:48 am

Call it last night ...it had to be done . It also sends a message that if you don't do your job , you get cut .. had to be done
Jason Bourne

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 am

Better hope like hell Folk doesn't miss at all for a while.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:53 am

Kickers are such head cases.
PrimeMinister

Postby terrytate » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:55 am

Licht needs to be called out for drafting him, but at least he wasn't foolish enough to cling to him because of the sunk cost.
terrytate

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 am

terrytate wrote:Licht needs to be called out for drafting him, but at least he wasn't foolish enough to cling to him because of the sunk cost.

Licht was called out 30 seconds after drafting him and then called out with every single miss last season.
Last edited by PrimeMinister on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:59 am

terrytate wrote:Licht needs to be called out for drafting him, but at least he wasn't foolish enough to cling to him because of the sunk cost.

Licht has done well here, but I do tire of the, "Congrats to OBP for realizing their mistake and cutting ties early!" back-pats he gets. I could do without reading some variation of this story every year in regards to a high draft pick or big FA bust.
MJW

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:06 pm

Can't believe we released him.

There goes our ****ing comp pick!
IchabodCrane84

Postby terrytate » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:13 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:

Licht was called out 30 seconds after drafting him and then called out with every single miss last season.

I know, but I meant that he needs to be remind of it before every draft. MJ is right, Licht is pretty good but when he missed he misses big. That can eventually cost a guy his job.
terrytate

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:16 pm

MJW wrote:

Licht has done well here, but I do tire of the, "Congrats to OBP for realizing their mistake and cutting ties early!" back-pats he gets. I could do without reading some variation of this story every year in regards to a high draft pick or big FA bust.

Licht did say after the pick that there wasn't really anyone else they liked so thought they'd move and secure the kicker.

A year later, and it's looking like the 2016 draft was incredibly shallow. We were lucky to fetch Hargreaves and Spence. Aguayo was a bust, but it's not like there are a bunch of good players who went after him that we could have had instead.
real bucs fan

Postby beardmcdoug » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:27 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Licht did say after the pick that there wasn't really anyone else they liked so thought they'd move and secure the kicker.

A year later, and it's looking like the 2016 draft was incredibly shallow. We were lucky to fetch Hargreaves and Spence. Aguayo was a bust, but it's not like there are a bunch of good players who went after him that we could have had instead.

Incredibly shallow? If we're drawing conclusions already after 1 year, then I'm putting VH3 as "soon to be stud" and Spence as "solid, with limitless potential". Then Ryan Smith seems to have progressed well enough to maybe get a shot at starting, Devante Bond will likely start at SAM this year and Benenoch is valuable o-line depth. Any draft you end up with 2 studs, let alone another 3 solid contributors, that is an absolute homer of a draft. I think you overestimate how many good players each team drafts each year
beardmcdoug

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:32 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Licht did say after the pick that there wasn't really anyone else they liked so thought they'd move and secure the kicker.

Incredibly shallow? If we're drawing conclusions already after 1 year, then I'm putting VH3 as "soon to be stud" and Spence as "solid, with limitless potential". Then Ryan Smith seems to have progressed well enough to maybe get a shot at starting, Devante Bond will likely start at SAM this year and Benenoch is valuable o-line depth. Any draft you end up with 2 studs, let alone another 3 solid contributors, that is an absolute homer of a draft. I think you overestimate how many good players each team drafts each year

I do really like the potential of Hargreaves and Spence, but it's way too early to even say any of Smith, Bond, or Benenoch even get a 2nd contract. I certainly understand what a typical draft yields, though I believe the 2016 will prove to be rather shallow. Some great players went in the top 50, but the talent after that kind of fell off a cliff.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:36 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Literally anyone but a kicker could have at least contributed to depth.

Also, Vonn Bell, James Bradberry, and Kevin Byard were all very good as rookie defense backs and we needed a few of those (still do.) They all went in the following 5 picks. A couple picks after that, Maliek Collins and Yannick Ngakoue were drafted and are now building blocks for their defensive lines.

It is what it is, but there's no way to polish this turd. If you're going to show everyone how smart you are by taking a dump on conventional wisdom, you deserve all the crap you get when it goes wrong.
MJW

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:26 pm

MJW wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Licht did say after the pick that there wasn't really anyone else they liked so thought they'd move and secure the kicker.

Also, Vonn Bell, James Bradberry, and Kevin Byard were all very good as rookie defense backs and we needed a few of those (still do.) They all went in the following 5 picks. A couple picks after that, Maliek Collins and Yannick Ngakoue were drafted and are now building blocks for their defensive lines.

It is what it is, but there's no way to polish this turd. If you're going to show everyone how smart you are by taking a dump on conventional wisdom, you deserve all the crap you get when it goes wrong.

I really wanted Bell last year. However as much as Licht has had some blunders, we're headed in the right direction for the first time in a decade so, I am not going to be too critical.
LoRdNlKoN

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:29 pm

LoRdNlKoN wrote:
MJW wrote:

I really wanted Bell last year. However as much as Licht has had some blunders, we're headed in the right direction for the first time in a decade so, I am not going to be too critical.

This ...
Spot on
Jason Bourne

Postby sanka » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:45 pm

You win some you lose some....Austin Seferian-Jenkins was a 2nd rounder too and he was also released....but like Celine Dion said that's the way it.
sanka

Postby Caradoc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Better hope like hell Folk doesn't miss at all for a while.

Reactive casual heat of the moment response. Predictable.
Caradoc

Postby DanTurksGhost » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:45 pm

But overall the team is headed in the right direction as far as I can tell, and that's what matters most. All GM's have their misses. This was, however, a very big miss because many would say that this pick was ill-advised from the start.
DanTurksGhost

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:27 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:Kickers are such head cases.

This post seems to address the kicker we had quite well.
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:28 pm

MJW wrote:

Would you prefer a GM that keeps a bad decision and not admit it? Because there are plenty of those around, some looking for a job.

"I prefer a GM that doesn't make any bad decisions too begin with" ..... yeah, we all do. All 32 teams and their fans do.
Doctor

Postby Hatter » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:34 pm

Not sure how the eligibility works but I would bet he will be brought back to the practice squad after he clears waivers. (which he will no doubt)
Hatter

Postby Teitan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Hatter wrote:Not sure how the eligibility works but I would bet he will be brought back to the practice squad after he clears waivers. (which he will no doubt)

Highly doubt that.
Teitan

Next

Return to Team Discussions