Preseason vs Bengals.... The good, the bad, and the ugly

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Preseason vs Bengals.... The good, the bad, and the ugly

Postby Defense5599 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:23 pm

THE GOOD:

Jameis Winston was crystal sharp. Every one of his passes was on target except that fade to Evans in the end zone. He's poised to take off like a rocket come this season

Vernon Hargreaves is playing more aggressive press coverage and flying to the ball. That pick saved what would've been an embarrassing opening drive for the first team D.

Peyton Barber and Jacquizz Rodgers should be a RB by committee. Both made a case to start over Doug Martin

Bernard Reedy put on quite a show late in the game. He's got the inside track to that last WR spot.... for now.

Jeremy McNichols showed a nice burst of speed on his long run.

Sefi Loiafu showed great poise and command of the huddle. He had a nice touch on his passes and knew when to tuck and run. Granted, he was playing against fourth stringers but he moved the ball and would've put some points on the board had Koetter not opted for a FG with a minute left.

Riley Bullough showed great eye discipline and general toughness, making several open field tackles late in the game.

THE BAD:

Mike Evans allowed himself to be dominated in the end zone twice by a 5'9" punk ass bitch.

Caleb Benenoch singlehandedly stalled a promising third quarter drive with being called for a holding penalty, then giving up a sack two plays later.

The red zone offense still isn't up to par. Three trips, one TD.

OJ Howard was invisible

Chris Godwin had a quiet night. Only one catch.

Doug Martin is still rusty for all the hype he was given during OTAs

THE UGLY:

Roberto Aguayo...... don't get me started.

The D as a whole put together an embarrassing performance. They allowed the Bengals to move the ball at will and allowed knucklehead penalties to extend drives. They force TWO punts all night.

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw away a golden opportunity to retake the lead late in the game. After a beautiful return put the Bucs on the Bengals 30, he gets sacked, then throws a pick that is returned for a long gain.

Dirk Kotetter opted for a FG with a minute left rather than seeing if Loiafu could finish the drive. I mean, seriously, what the **** was he thinking??

All that said, the first preseason game is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage. There is no walkthroughs or preparation involved at all. Don't read a lot into this. In fact, don't read anything into it.
TAMPAAAAAAAAAA!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
Defense5599

Re: Preseason vs Bengals.... The good, the bad, and the ugly

Postby Caradoc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:49 am

Horrible OP. Did you watch the same game as the rest of us?

Barber did jack and put the ball on the ground twice. Pretty much the opposite of making a case to be half of a starting RBBC.

McNichols "long" run was 11 yards. He was "meh" this game. Too early to tell with him.

Evans wasn't "dominated" he was interfered with but it wasn't called. Not sure you understand the rules of the game.

Sefo looked "OK" he wasn't great, and calling for the FG there was the right call, we needed two scores and needed to see Aguayo in live action. Your comments about the camp arm Sefo make me wonder if you are sleeping with him or something.

The INT on Fitz wasn't on him, it happened because the receiver tripped after he ball was in the air.
Last edited by Caradoc on Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Caradoc

Postby Alpha » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:24 am

Caradoc wrote:Horrible OP. Did you watch the same game as the rest of us?

Barber did jack and put the ball on the ground twice. Pretty much the opposite of making a case to be half of a starting RBBC.

McNichols "long" run was 11 yards. He was "meh" this game. Too early to tell with him.

Evans wasn't "dominated" he was interfered with but it wasn't called. Not sure. You understand the rules of the game.

Sefo looked "OK" he wasn't great, and calling for the FG there was the right call, we needed two scores and needed to see Aguayo in live action. Your comments about the camp arm Sefo make me wonder if you are sleeping with him or something.

The INT on Fitz wasn't on him, it happened because the receiver tripped after he ball was in the air.

Only watched the first half. Frankly...anything after the first 2 drives was irrelevant...except to the players who are making up the ass-end of the roster and/or the taxi squad.

Our run D was concerning...from the first snap of the game. Something to keep an eye on.

The 2nd pass to Evans (first drive) was PI on the defense...but he could've easily been called on a push-off earlier in the drive. Maybe he's accrued enough seniority to get those calls now?

Jameis made one bad throw (maybe 2, if you count that first throw in the end zone): The pass to Evans, that he "dropped" was clearly behind him. That said...I think we saw what this offense will become. There were multiple WR's running free during the first couple of possessions. Can't wait to see how this offense plays out when we start running 2-WR/2 TE sets. Should be fun to watch.

Where is the 3-4 D on first down? I thought for certain we would see it. Did they play any in the 2nd half? I may have missed it but I don't recall seeing ANY in the first. Is this actually going to happen or are we talking about putting Sliga/Stevie T in as a DT while running a 4/3?

Meh...first pre-season game. Is what it is. Just thankful I survived another off-season. Thank God football is back.

Go Bucs!
Alpha

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 am

Peyton Barber looks like trash. Not sure what game the OP watched.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:58 am

PrimeMinister wrote:Peyton Barber looks like trash. Not sure what game the OP watched.

He's the definition of a JAG. No defining characteristics. If guys like that are higher than 3rd on your depth chart, you have a depth problem.
MJW

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:26 am

Defense5599 wrote:Dirk Kotetter opted for a FG with a minute left rather than seeing if Loiafu could finish the drive. I mean, seriously, what the **** was he thinking??

It was the right call. First, it's preseason and there's a kicker competition. I honestly would have liked them to go for it on 4th on the first drive because a 20 yard field goal does nothing for the competition.

Secondly, with 1 timeout left and 2 scores needed to win you're only getting the ball back with an onside kick. Instead of draining all your time trying to score a TD, get the "makeable" field goal first and if you recover the onside kick then you're left with some time to call a variety of plays instead of one Hail Mary.
IchabodCrane84

Postby Doctor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 am

I remember when Good, Bad, Ugly threads were well written and fun to read. I don't know what game the OP is breaking down.
Doctor

Postby Buccs99 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:20 am

Defense5599 wrote:THE GOOD:

Jameis Winston was crystal sharp. Every one of his passes was on target except that fade to Evans in the end zone. He's poised to take off like a rocket come this season
He played well but he missed some targets. far from crystal sharp. did well moving around in the pocket. played well but settle down on the second coming of the messiah.

Vernon Hargreaves is playing more aggressive press coverage and flying to the ball. That pick saved what would've been an embarrassing opening drive for the first team D.

Peyton Barber and Jacquizz Rodgers should be a RB by committee. Both made a case to start over Doug Martin
No. Neither of them did. Martin looked quick and made some guys miss in the backfield. we have to do a better job getting blocks on the second level.

Bernard Reedy put on quite a show late in the game. He's got the inside track to that last WR spot.... for now.

Jeremy McNichols showed a nice burst of speed on his long run.

Sefi Loiafu showed great poise and command of the huddle. He had a nice touch on his passes and knew when to tuck and run. Granted, he was playing against fourth stringers but he moved the ball and would've put some points on the board had Koetter not opted for a FG with a minute left.

Riley Bullough showed great eye discipline and general toughness, making several open field tackles late in the game.

THE BAD:

Mike Evans allowed himself to be dominated in the end zone twice by a 5'9" punk ass bitch.
Adam Jones is a veteran. if Winston threw a better ball, evans couldve easily put 6 on the board.

Caleb Benenoch singlehandedly stalled a promising third quarter drive with being called for a holding penalty, then giving up a sack two plays later.

The red zone offense still isn't up to par. Three trips, one TD.

OJ Howard was invisible
Made an amazing block on the 4th and 1 play. he may not have ended up looking like he was playing madden but he did a good job on the LOS.

Chris Godwin had a quiet night. Only one catch.

Doug Martin is still rusty for all the hype he was given during OTAs
as I said above. he didnt have 100 yards but how can he when guys are hitting him and stalling him before he can get going ?

THE UGLY:

Roberto Aguayo...... don't get me started.

The D as a whole put together an embarrassing performance. They allowed the Bengals to move the ball at will and allowed knucklehead penalties to extend drives. They force TWO punts all night.

Ryan Fitzpatrick threw away a golden opportunity to retake the lead late in the game. After a beautiful return put the Bucs on the Bengals 30, he gets sacked, then throws a pick that is returned for a long gain.
That drive, the receiver fell, Fitz then dropped the ball, then the same receiver fell again on the int.

Dirk Kotetter opted for a FG with a minute left rather than seeing if Loiafu could finish the drive. I mean, seriously, what the **** was he thinking??
That seeing what he does on the field, doesnt really matter. he's a PS guy at best. he wanted to setup a win.

All that said, the first preseason game is nothing more than a glorified scrimmage. There is no walkthroughs or preparation involved at all. Don't read a lot into this. In fact, don't read anything into it.

cant agree with much of what you saw.
Buccs99

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:57 am

I disagree with the majority of the content in the OP. I've rewatched the game a few times now and will share some observations...

Jamies looked good, but both redzone passes to Evans were poorly thrown in addition to the 3rd-2 pass that was behind Evans. Overall pleased with how 1st team passing game looked though. Not worried about the playcalling/decision to run b2b fades to Evans. It's the first preseason game and they might've been wanting to work on something with that route.

Donovan Smith looked good blocking Michael Johnson (not sure if that means a whole lot). Smith got pushed back a bit on the 20yd pass completion to Evans but every play other than that was a win for Smith, many in dominate fashion.

Rest of the first team O-line was meh.. Not flashy or terrible in limited action.

All the guys battling for the 5th WR spot helped and hurt their cause. Had Huff held onto that seam pass from Griffin that hit him right in the hands he would've had the best night of the group. But Reedy-Martino-Huff all had bad drops (more than 1 for Martino).

Griffin was throwing it well. Sucks his preseason is ruined b/c of that shithead 3rd string OT being unable to block anyone. Dirk says Griffin will be out "weeks" so it looks like Fitz will be the guy. I'll be interested to see if we can hide Griffin on 'injured reserve' so we can hold onto him. He was having a great camp and that seemed to translate in limited action. I'd like to make him the back-up to Jameis come 2018 and beyond since he's been here with Dirk for a couple years already...

Chuck Sims ran tough. Tough to evaluate RBs in so few carries with vs 2nd-3rd stringers, but he looks healthy. If so I think his roster spot is safe.

I was surprised by that lack of targets for both Howard and Godwin. Perhaps that was by design so the team can get a look at those guys battling for roster spots. I imagine we'll see both guys featured more at some point this preseason.

Clint McDonald was out best Dlinmen that night by far. The two polynesian heavyweights (Silega/StevieT) were complete non-factors. Noah Spence looked lighting quick. Bengals were getting the ball out very quick, but Spence flashed in replays.

Bond looked good in extended action at both SAM and WILL. Beckwith has some solid plays and others where he was either a step slow or got blocked too easily out of the play. But it was his first game action since coming off major knee surgery 9 months ago. Beckwith will need to get better in these next 2 games.

Secondary play was meh. Too soft in coverage other than the VH3 pick. But that can be somewhat expected in preseason game 1 when there is no gameplanning and it's just a glorified scrimmage out there.

Ryan Smith wasn't as bad as I initially thought postgame. He gave up outside leverage on that Driscol TD run and was a bit soft in his zones which allowed 2-3 receptions. But he kept the WRs in front and rewatching I really like how he closes on the play once he 'sees it'. With experience and film study those reactions will improve.

Overall I'm not concerned with anything I saw. I want to see the run defense improve for sure since I feel that will be the key to winning the first 3 games this season. On offense I hope Marpet plays Thursday (he's already back practicing today) so we get a look at our revamped Oline with Marpet and Sweezy together.

I'd like to see Howard and Godwin get a few targets also in addition to seeing a couple downfield shots to Djax to make sure we're working on the timing and accuracy of those throws from Jameis. Evans looks great, I'd be fine if he sits the rest of the preseason tbh.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:34 pm

What the hell did I just read? It sounds like Java just hacked this guys account and trolled his way through it. You clearly have no idea what's happening on the football field.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:55 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I disagree with the majority of the content in the OP. I've rewatched the game a few times now and will share some observations...

Jamies looked good, but both redzone passes to Evans were poorly thrown in addition to the 3rd-2 pass that was behind Evans. Overall pleased with how 1st team passing game looked though. Not worried about the playcalling/decision to run b2b fades to Evans. It's the first preseason game and they might've been wanting to work on something with that route.

Donovan Smith looked good blocking Michael Johnson (not sure if that means a whole lot). Smith got pushed back a bit on the 20yd pass completion to Evans but every play other than that was a win for Smith, many in dominate fashion.

Rest of the first team O-line was meh.. Not flashy or terrible in limited action.

All the guys battling for the 5th WR spot helped and hurt their cause. Had Huff held onto that seam pass from Griffin that hit him right in the hands he would've had the best night of the group. But Reedy-Martino-Huff all had bad drops (more than 1 for Martino).

Griffin was throwing it well. Sucks his preseason is ruined b/c of that shithead 3rd string OT being unable to block anyone. Dirk says Griffin will be out "weeks" so it looks like Fitz will be the guy. I'll be interested to see if we can hide Griffin on 'injured reserve' so we can hold onto him. He was having a great camp and that seemed to translate in limited action. I'd like to make him the back-up to Jameis come 2018 and beyond since he's been here with Dirk for a couple years already...

Chuck Sims ran tough. Tough to evaluate RBs in so few carries with vs 2nd-3rd stringers, but he looks healthy. If so I think his roster spot is safe.

I was surprised by that lack of targets for both Howard and Godwin. Perhaps that was by design so the team can get a look at those guys battling for roster spots. I imagine we'll see both guys featured more at some point this preseason.

Clint McDonald was out best Dlinmen that night by far. The two polynesian heavyweights (Silega/StevieT) were complete non-factors. Noah Spence looked lighting quick. Bengals were getting the ball out very quick, but Spence flashed in replays.

Bond looked good in extended action at both SAM and WILL. Beckwith has some solid plays and others where he was either a step slow or got blocked too easily out of the play. But it was his first game action since coming off major knee surgery 9 months ago. Beckwith will need to get better in these next 2 games.

Secondary play was meh. Too soft in coverage other than the VH3 pick. But that can be somewhat expected in preseason game 1 when there is no gameplanning and it's just a glorified scrimmage out there.

Ryan Smith wasn't as bad as I initially thought postgame. He gave up outside leverage on that Driscol TD run and was a bit soft in his zones which allowed 2-3 receptions. But he kept the WRs in front and rewatching I really like how he closes on the play once he 'sees it'. With experience and film study those reactions will improve.

Overall I'm not concerned with anything I saw. I want to see the run defense improve for sure since I feel that will be the key to winning the first 3 games this season. On offense I hope Marpet plays Thursday (he's already back practicing today) so we get a look at our revamped Oline with Marpet and Sweezy together.

I'd like to see Howard and Godwin get a few targets also in addition to seeing a couple downfield shots to Djax to make sure we're working on the timing and accuracy of those throws from Jameis. Evans looks great, I'd be fine if he sits the rest of the preseason tbh.

Some good points here. Here's where I disagree.

Sweezy WAS terrible. Absolutely horrible. Geno Atkins made him his bitch. He got muscled into the backfield and almost ran into Quizz on a run play. And run blocking is supposed to be his bread & butter.

Wasn't very impressed with Griffin's decision making. On the play you're speaking about where Huff dropped the pass, Griffin lead him directly into what would ve been a big hit. Can't do that. He put entirely too much touch on several passes where he should've put more on them. But Ryan Fitzpatrick was much worse. He's as inaccurate as he always has been. He doesn't see the field very well either.

I wasn't surprised by the lack of targets given to Howard. He's in there to block, Brate is in there to run routes. We discussed this a bit but Howard likely won't see many passes thrown his way. Team wants him to block.

Godwin on the other hand was void of targets because from what I saw he doesn't separate very well. He simply isn't open. Took himself out of several plays by running towards the sidelines and also hesitating on his routes. He needs work.

Secondary almost exclusively played man. Ryan Smith plays off too much. Keeping your man in front of you on 12-15 yard completions isn't good. He gives up the inside almost at will. And that's a confidence thing because as you said once he sees it his closing speed is great. I think he's afraid of letting a man get past him outside and not being able to catch up. I see now why the coaching staff wanted him to play safety. He's bringing those same traits to the corner position right now. It'll take time before he's productive as a corner.

And as far as I'm concerned Evans and Jackson can chill until we plat Miami.
Bootz2004

Return to Team Discussions