Sammy Watkins: Traded!!

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Sammy Watkins: Traded!!

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:51 am

To the Rams.....
Bootz2004

Re: Sammy Watkins: Traded!!

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:53 am

He was the guy this board universally wanted in that Evans draft. Definitely looks like we dodged a bit of a bullet.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:01 pm

real bucs fan wrote:He was the guy this board universally wanted in that Evans draft. Definitely looks like we dodged a bit of a bullet.

LIfe sucks for a WR when you don't have a QB. The weather will be nicer in LA, but he still has a shitty QB in Goff until proven otherwise.

Bills used their 2015 1st rounder to trade up from #9 to #4 overall in 2014 to draft Watkins.

3 years later they trade Watkins away for a 2nd round pick and reserve CB.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:10 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:He was the guy this board universally wanted in that Evans draft. Definitely looks like we dodged a bit of a bullet.

LIfe sucks for a WR when you don't have a QB. The weather will be nicer in LA, but he still has a shitty QB in Goff until proven otherwise.

Bills used their 2015 1st rounder to trade up from #9 to #4 overall in 2014 to draft Watkins.

Now just imagine if they had stayed put and selected OBJ at #9...
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:14 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

He's mostly been injured. Taylor is an above average QB.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:54 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Who are some guys that are an average QB in your opinion?
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:59 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/film-r ... d-taylor-0

A good read on him.
uscbucsfan

Postby SIBucsFan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Busy day:

Jordan Matthews and a 3rd round pick traded to the Bills for CB Ronald Darby.

I think Matthews fits Buffalo's plans more so than Watkins did. Buffalo has a physical identity on offense and Matthews is a physical WR who can block downfield.
SIBucsFan

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:13 pm

SIBucsFan wrote:Busy day:

I think Matthews fits Buffalo's plans more so than Watkins did. Buffalo has a physical identity on offense and Matthews is a physical WR who can block downfield.

we thinking of the same Bills team that's been headed by a pass/run QB and Lesean McCoy???
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:15 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

A good read on him.

I'm not anti-Tyrod Taylor (I don't think). I think he's an Alex Smith type of QB who makes great decisions with the ball and won't lose you games. The Bills could win alot if he's complimented with a good roster (like Alex Smith has had since Harbaugh got things going in San Fran and now in KC).

But I don't consider either guy top 10 in the league since neither can elevate their team and are reliant on being on great roster with a really good defense if they want to play in the postseason.

So when I say he's average, I mean that in comparison to the 31 other starting QBs in the league
DreadNaught

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:21 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:

A good read on him.

I'm not anti-Tyrod Taylor (I don't think). I think he's an Alex Smith type of QB who makes great decisions with the ball and won't lose you games. The Bills could win alot if he's complimented with a good roster (like Alex Smith has had since Harbaugh got things going in San Fran and now in KC).

But I don't consider either guy top 10 in the league since neither can elevate their team and are reliant on being on great roster with a really good defense if they want to play in the postseason.

So when I say he's average, I mean that in comparison to the 31 other starting QBs in the league

I think he's more talented/dynamic than Smith.

The same person who wrote that also rated Winston and Cousins, breaking down all of their tape. Taylor outperformed both in terms of accuracy and decision making. I think Taylor is better than some give him credit for.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:26 pm

I don't know if I can say for sure that the Bills got worse today, but they certainly got less talented.
Deuce

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Uhhh hell no. That's like saying William Gholston fits better than JJ Watt because you want to be a run stopping front.

Matthews had actually fallen on the Eagles depth chart. He's in the final year of his deal as well so Phillys FO just decided to get a bit of value for him. They got Ronald Darby and a draft pick. But in no way would anyone claim Jordan Matthews is a better fit than Sammy Watkins.
Last edited by Bootz2004 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:31 pm

Deuce wrote:I don't know if I can say for sure that the Bills got worse today, but they certainly got less talented.

#1 run team

#30 passing team
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:34 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Uhhh hell no. That's like saying William Gholston fits better than JJ Watt because you want to be a run stopping front.

Matthews had actually fallen on the Eagles depth chart. He's in the final year of his deal as well so Phillys FO just decided to get a bit of value for him. They got Ronald Darby and a draft pick. But in no way would anyone claim Jordan Matthews is a better fit than Sammy Watkins.

I think the Bills got the draft pick.
mdb1958

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:36 pm

mdb1958 wrote:
Deuce wrote:I don't know if I can say for sure that the Bills got worse today, but they certainly got less talented.

#1 run team

#30 passing team

Great point.
Deuce

Postby Phantom Phenom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Are they trying to set Taylor up to fail ?

Or high draft pick?
Last edited by Phantom Phenom on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantom Phenom

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Are they trying to set up for Taylor to fail ?

Or high draft pick?

They got a draft pick for a guy they probably weren't going to re-sign.
uscbucsfan

Postby Naismith » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 pm

I think the Bills killed it today.

I also think the Eagles did well for getting value out of a guy that wasn't part of their long term plans.
Naismith

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:11 pm

Darby would have made a nice addition here considering our depth and Grimes' age. Too bad.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:18 pm

All 3 teams got something of value. The Bills got assets to help start their rebuild plus a couple of guys with experience. The Rams got a quality #1 target for their QB of the future. The Eagles got a quality cornerback.
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:27 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:Are they trying to set Taylor up to fail ?

Or high draft pick?

Watkins hasn't been part of any success for them so far, so it's not like a huge blow losing him.
Caradoc

Postby I Are Serious Poster » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:42 pm

Caradoc wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Are they trying to set Taylor up to fail ?

Or high draft pick?

Watkins hasn't been part of any success for them so far, so it's not like a huge blow losing him.

You lose a lot of swag on that sideline.

It's about that hidden value, bruh.
I Are Serious Poster

Postby MJW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:20 am

Great day for the Bills and Eagles.

The Bills got back a better fit for their offense in Jordan Matthews and a good corner in EJ Gaines. They now have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds next year.
The Eagles cleaned up their messy WR situation, with Jeffery as the man, Torrey Smith as the speed, and probably Nelson Agholor as the underneath guy. More importantly, Darby is a huge upgrade at corner for them, and that was their biggest hole.

And then there's the Rams...they add a talented player in Watkins, but he can't stay healthy and he's on the last year of his deal. Plus, after two years of missing picks because of the Goff deal, they trade away what's going to be a high 2nd rounder, and they lose a good young corner. Terrible deal for them.
MJW

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am

I think for the love of Goff they needed to get that guy a legit weapon. When healthy Watkins gives them that.

Bills are worse today than they were yesterday. If I were a fan of them I'd be disappointed.
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:38 am

uscbucsfan wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:Are they trying to set up for Taylor to fail ?

Or high draft pick?

They got a draft pick for a guy they probably weren't going to re-sign.

This. The Bills managed to get something for a player who wasn't going to be there long in any case. They had already declined his option after all, he was gone after this year.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:07 am

real bucs fan wrote:I think for the love of Goff they needed to get that guy a legit weapon. When healthy Watkins gives them that.

Bills are worse today than they were yesterday. If I were a fan of them I'd be disappointed.

I couldn't disagree more. No, Jordan Matthews isn't the playmaker Watkins is, all things being equal, and Gaines is a good corner, though not as good as Darby. Even if we were going to leave it at that, getting a 2nd and a 3rd to make those swaps isn't a bad deal for them. But it's a great deal for them when you remember that Watkins was never going to re-sign, he can't stay healthy, the Bills now have 2 firsts, 2 seconds, and 2 thirds next year, Jordan Matthews is probably a better fit for Tyrod Taylor's game, and they weren't winning anything this year anymore.

If I was a Bills fan I'd be thrilled. If I was an Eagles fan, I'd be satisfied. If I was a Rams fan, I'd be queasy.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:44 am

I have to agree with MJW on this one. I like the trade.

For one saying Watkins > Matthews is stupid because you can't be better than anyone on IR. Matthews has missed two games in his three years. He's is a primo slot guy who the Eagles tried to make into DJaxs replacement outside. It didn't work. Watkins has been a "potential number one" for three years now. I wish I could trade a looking-like-a-bust first rounder for a likely high 2nd rounder.
Doctor

Postby Brazen331 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:28 am

I Are Serious Poster wrote:Darby would have made a nice addition here considering our depth and Grimes' age. Too bad.

We should have offered our 1st-rounder for Darby. I would feel exponentially better going into this year if we had another solid corner as this is the position that has me worried the most. If this is the year Grimes falls off the cliff I don't see us making the playoffs considering the division we play in.

Although, if we made a trade for Winston's best friend and another FSU guy to boot, it would probably send mdb over the edge.

Anyone know of any other solid CBs out there that some team might want to move for a high pick? Our goober of a GM should be exploring all our options here. I can't be the only one who thinks the CB talent needs an infusion ASAP. Every team in our division has a Pro-bowl QB at the helm. Let's get something done here.
Brazen331

Postby Doctor » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:05 am

I'm feeling really good about Ryan Smith backing up the outside. I'm far more worried about our nickle play.
Doctor

Next

Return to Team Discussions