Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:18 am

The NFL suspended Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott six games Friday for violating the league's personal conduct policy, a source informed of the situation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport.

The ruling comes after the NFL's year-long investigation into multiple incidents involving Elliott, including domestic violence accusations made against him by a woman who identified herself as his former girlfriend to authorities.

Elliott, 22, has denied the allegations and has the right to appeal the NFL's decision. He has three days to appeal. If the six-game suspension stands, Elliott would be eligible to make his season debut Oct. 29 against the Washington Redskins.

ESPN first reported the development.

The woman told police Elliott assaulted her on five separate occasions over the course of a week in July 2016, according to the Columbus (Ohio) City Attorney's Office. He was never arrested and prosecutors declined to charge Elliott, citing conflicting and inconsistent information.

Under the terms of the NFL's personal conduct policy, players found by the league to have committed domestic violence are subject to "a baseline suspension without pay of six games" regardless of whether "the conduct does not result in a criminal conviction."

The policy states: "In cases where a player is not charged with a crime, or is charged but not convicted, he may still be found to have violated the policy if the credible evidence establishes that he engaged in conduct prohibited by this Personal Conduct Policy."

Robert S. Tobias, principal assistant city attorney in Columbus, stated in an email to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero last year he believed "there were a series of interactions between Mr. Elliott and [his accuser] where violence occurred."

"... Given the totality of the circumstances, I could not firmly conclude exactly what happened," Tobias wrote in October. "Saying something happened versus having sufficient evidence to criminally charge someone are two completely different things."

The NFL launched its investigation soon after Elliott's ex-girlfriend filed a police report last summer. League investigators first interviewed Elliott in October and met with him again last month. Elliott and the NFL Players Association turned over phone records and documents related to the case to the league in May.

It wasn't the only incident the NFL looked into involving Elliott. The same woman called police on Elliott in Feb. 2016 in Florida, where the former Ohio State star was training prior to the NFL Scouting Combine, sources with knowledge of the situation told Pelissero. She told police she suffered shoulder pain when Elliott pushed her up against a wall. Elliott wasn't arrested or charged.

In March of this year, Elliott was seen in videos and photos pulling down a woman's shirt and exposing her breast on the roof of a Dallas bar during a St. Patrick's Day parade. Last month, Elliott was involved in an incident at another Dallas bar that initially sparked an assault investigation before police suspended their probe. That incident, however, was not part of the NFL's completed probe, a source with knowledge of the investigation told NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport and Pelissero.

Elliott is in second season with the Cowboys after rushing for 1,631 yards and 15 touchdowns en route to earning first-team All-Pro honors in 2016.
DreadNaught

Re: Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:22 am

I guess we to get see how much of Dak's success was tied to Zeke last season. Cowboys still have a great O-line, but this certainly hurts the rushing attack and will put Dak in more passing situations.
DreadNaught

Postby Crocaneers » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:25 am

Frankly, I think we will see proven that Zeke was benefiting from Zak, and not the other way around .. who ever steps into the gap for the 6 games, could keep the ball.
Crocaneers

Postby NYBF » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:29 am

What's that get cut down to after appeal? 4 games?
NYBF

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:31 am

DreadNaught wrote:I guess we to get see how much of Dak's success was tied to Zeke last season. Cowboys still have a great O-line, but this certainly hurts the rushing attack and will put Dak in more passing situations.

That's the upside to this, see who Dak really is.

As a fan of the NFL though, it sucks as the Cowboys primetime games would be more fun with Zeke. Hopefully it gets reduced to 4 games. See what Dak can do against, Giants, Broncos, Cards, and Rams defences. Then have Zeke back for the Pack game.
Last edited by real bucs fan on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
real bucs fan

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:39 am

Poor Jerrah !
Jason Bourne

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:41 am

I don't think the Cowboys offense will be significantly worse. Their o-line is 75% of both Zeke and Dak's success.

Plus, they have a ton of talent behind Zeke.
uscbucsfan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:46 am

DreadNaught wrote:I guess we to get see how much of Dak's success was tied to Zeke last season. Cowboys still have a great O-line, but this certainly hurts the rushing attack and will put Dak in more passing situations.

So Zeke helped Dak throw the football with accuracy and timing, make good decisions with the football, extend plays with his feet and make plays on the run? Good stuff.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:47 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

So Zeke helped Dak throw the football with accuracy and timing, make good decisions with the football, extend plays with his feet and make plays on the run? Good stuff.

Defeneces were keyed on stopping that run game first and foremost. With no Zeke, I doubt teams are going to let Dak beat them.
real bucs fan

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

So you're arguing that a good rushing attack doesn't benefit a QB?

I also don't see the Cowboys offense being significantly worse. O-line is still great and Darren McFadden/Alfred Morris are more than capable of handling the load.
Deuce

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

great, get ready for 5 pages of back and forth..
Noles1724

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:51 am

Cowboys first 4 games:

Giants
Broncos
Cardinals
Rams

Those are some good defences. Even if upon appeal his suspension is reduced to 4 games, those are going to be 4 very tough games for Dak.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:54 am

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I also don't see the Cowboys offense being significantly worse. O-line is still great and Darren McFadden/Alfred Morris are more than capable of handling the load.

You answered my question with a question.
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:01 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Defeneces were keyed on stopping that run game first and foremost. With no Zeke, I doubt teams are going to let Dak beat them.

So you're saying Zeke is the reason Dak threw the football accurately and with precision and timing
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:08 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Defeneces were keyed on stopping that run game first and foremost. With no Zeke, I doubt teams are going to let Dak beat them.

So you're saying Zeke is the reason Dak threw the football accurately and with precision and timing

Noo...

But Zeke did open up that pass game and made Daks job easier.
real bucs fan

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Crocaneers wrote:Frankly, I think we will see proven that Zeke was benefiting from Zak, and not the other way around .. who ever steps into the gap for the 6 games, could keep the ball.

I think the OL is what makes both Zeke and Dak (not that I don't think they are pretty good anyway). That OL is historically good.
deltbucs

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

You try too hard.
deltbucs

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:22 pm

beardmcdoug

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:23 pm

deltbucs wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

You try too hard.

You deflect too much as usual. And I've told you before if you have no answer then stay silent, kiddo
Bootz2004

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
deltbucs wrote:You try too hard.

You deflect too much as usual. And I've told you before if you have no answer then stay silent, kiddo

K
deltbucs

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:55 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

So? You do this all the time. How's it feel?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:57 pm

deltbucs wrote:
Crocaneers wrote:Frankly, I think we will see proven that Zeke was benefiting from Zak, and not the other way around .. who ever steps into the gap for the 6 games, could keep the ball.

I think the OL is what makes both Zeke and Dak (not that I don't think they are pretty good anyway). That OL is historically good.

So the OL throws the football and runs? What about kicking and calling the plays, kiddo? Casual.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:59 pm

deltbucs wrote:

That Oline was pretty much the same as it was in 2015 when they sucked after Romo went down.

Zeke and Dak were both fantastic last year, so now that Dak will be playing without Zeke for 4-6 games we'll see how much of a factor Zeke was.
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

So? You do this all the time. How's it feel?

I ask him a question and his answer to me is "You answered my question with a question." He then proceeds to call out someone else for deflecting.
Deuce

Postby uscbucsfan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:02 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
deltbucs wrote:I think the OL is what makes both Zeke and Dak (not that I don't think they are pretty good anyway). That OL is historically good.

That Oline was pretty much the same as it was in 2015 when they sucked after Romo went down.

Zeke and Dak were both fantastic last year, so now that Dak will be playing without Zeke for 4-6 games we'll see how much of a factor Zeke was.

No one is arguing that Dak isn't better than Matt Cassel, but they still rushed for almost 2,000 yards with Cassel at QB.

I don't see them losing Zeke as a big deal. He's better than McFadden/Morris, but I don't think it will result in a significant change in their offense.

edit: I was wrong about Collins.
uscbucsfan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Don't be ridiculous (or atleast try not to be). Dak was great last year. But Zeke running behind that Oline certainly created easier situations for a young QB to handle. Which to his credit he handled great.

We saw in 2015 that you just cant plug any ol RB behind that Dallas Oline and expect the same production we saw from Murray in 2014 or Zeke last season.

Dak and Zeke complimented each other last season and both played great ball. But now that Zeke will miss time we'll see if that has an effect on Daks performance since I don't believe the Cowboys will be able to run the ball AS effectively without Zeke as the they would if he was getting 25+ carries.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:09 pm

Deuce wrote:
Buc2 wrote:So? You do this all the time. How's it feel?

I ignore his question then I ask him a question and his answer to me is "You answered my question with a question." He then proceeds to call out someone else for deflecting even though I clearly deflected 1st.

FIFY
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:24 pm

I thought Prescott was going to have it harder this year - even before all this. He brought a lot of game to the NFL last year, players respond to that.
mdb1958

Postby Deuce » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:35 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:
I ignore his question then I ask him a question and his answer to me is "You answered my question with a question." He then proceeds to call out someone else for deflecting even though I clearly deflected 1st.

FIFY

I'll play along, even though your original question wasn't even aimed at me.

Yes, I think Zeke helped Dak throw the football with timing and accuracy, make good decisions with the football, extend plays with his feet, and make plays on the run.

Now answer my question, please.
Deuce

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
FIFY

I'll play along, even though your original question wasn't even aimed at me.

Yes, I think Zeke helped Dak throw the football with timing and accuracy, make good decisions with the football, extend plays with his feet, and make plays on the run.

Now answer my question, please.

Sorry, kiddo, but you must first play the 5 page Bootzing game where, before he will answer your question, you will have to answer at least 10 of his questions. And then you may still not get an answer to your question. In fact, my money is on you giving up asking your question and just moving on.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Next

Return to Team Discussions