Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Ezekiel Elliott suspended six games by NFL

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:56 pm

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
FIFY

I'll play along, even though your original question wasn't even aimed at me.

Yes, I think Zeke helped Dak throw the football with timing and accuracy, make good decisions with the football, extend plays with his feet, and make plays on the run.

Now answer my question, please.

A good rushing attack helps a QB and an offense. No one argues that.

I'd like to know how Zeke helps his QBs accuracy and decision making and other throwing attributes.
Bootz2004

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Yes, I think Zeke helped Dak throw the football with timing and accuracy, make good decisions with the football, extend plays with his feet, and make plays on the run.

I'd like to know how Zeke helps his QBs accuracy and decision making and other throwing attributes.

it doesn't.. can we move one? a complete pissing match on every f'ing topic.
Noles1724

Postby ComingThisFall » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:21 pm

This could lead to a career resurgence for Alfred Morris. But there is not on offensive line in the world that could make Darren McFadden good. That guy is hot garbage
ComingThisFall

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Noles1724 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

it doesn't.. can we move one? a complete pissing match on every f'ing topic.

Someone disagrees..

Deuce wrote:
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:41 pm

Is it just me or has this past week been the worst all summer in terms of arguments here? Multiple arguments about CK and blackballing, an argument about the trending careers of our freakin kickers, and getting into a pissing match here
Nano

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:43 pm

This is a daily occurrence, so, yes, it's just you.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Patrick McIrish » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:52 pm

NYBF wrote:So the OL throws the football and runs?

Nope, they're way more important than that.
Patrick McIrish

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:08 pm

NYBF wrote:
deltbucs wrote:I think the OL is what makes both Zeke and Dak (not that I don't think they are pretty good anyway). That OL is historically good.

So the OL throws the football and runs?

No the RB does the throwing and running.
Bootz2004

Postby ComingThisFall » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
NYBF wrote:
So the OL throws the football and runs?

Is that before or after rotating the guards?
ComingThisFall

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:35 pm

ComingThisFall wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Still loving my wisdom. Here is the answer (play action).
mdb1958

Postby NYBF » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:35 pm

ComingThisFall wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Yes.
NYBF

Postby Selmon Rules » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:44 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Deuce wrote:

Since the defense only gets to put 11 players on the field at a time, they have to decide where they would like to deploy those players. When the offense is able to run the ball, the defense is then forced to commit to stop the run by crowding the line of scrimmage with more players leaving fewer defenders to defend against the pass.

When they have fewer defenders playing pass, it tends to open up more room for the receivers to work in and being pinpoint accurate isn't as critical for the quarterback allowing for "less than perfect" passes to be completed that should then boost said quarterbacks completion average and yardage totals.

If that running game is no longer as effective for whatever reason, running back suspended perhaps, the quarterback might have to throw the ball into tighter coverage because the defense can now commit less players to stopping the run allowing more to be dropped into coverage.

I realize this might be a bit simplistic but hey, I'm just a casual fan....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby MJW » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:13 am

uscbucsfan wrote:I don't see them losing Zeke as a big deal. He's better than McFadden/Morris, but I don't think it will result in a significant change in their offense.

This.

They'll miss Zeke's pass blocking. He was outstanding in this area when I watched him.

Otherwise, the combo of McFadden and Al Morris can probably account for 90% of what Zeke gave them on the ground. If anything, this could end up helping the Cowboys. Elliott will be better rested later in the year.
MJW

Postby Super K » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:08 am

Let's not kid ourselves, Morris is gonna carry the load down there..

Dallas already tried the McFadden route...hence why Morris was signed and Zeke was drafted..

That being said, they'll lose some homerun ability/explosiveness with Zeke out, but Morris will still grind it out and move the chains..

Good OL's minimize the impact of losing talented RB'S...
Super K

Postby Crocaneers » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:44 am

Zeke's tweet to "address the issue"

Last edited by Crocaneers on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crocaneers

Postby Swashy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:49 am

When keeping it real goes wrong
Swashy

Postby Caradoc » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:26 pm

In the long run this might be good for Zeke, getting hit with the banhammer this early on. He had multiple small issues, any one of which could have blown up and gone much worse for him. He was clearly flirting with disaster and not learning from those. Hopefully for him, this gets his attention and gets him to moderate his behavior.
Caradoc

Postby RedLeader » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 am

We'll see.. so far he seems pretty indignant over it all.
RedLeader

Postby MJW » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:02 pm

RedLeader wrote:We'll see.. so far he seems pretty indignant over it all.

Ever notice that guilty people usually are?
MJW

Postby RedLeader » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:50 pm

MJW wrote:
RedLeader wrote:We'll see.. so far he seems pretty indignant over it all.

Ever notice that guilty people usually are?

Exactly. That's what it screams. He woulda been better off taking a mea culpa on this one, and moving on.

Either way, I hope he's learned a valuable lesson....

Always have a 'fall guy' in your group..
RedLeader

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:32 am

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of Roger Goodell hate amd conspiracy (NFL hates the Cowboys) talk in the thread based on the suspension length. Not in a bad way by any means. The league took it on the chin after the Ray Rice saga and relying on LE to investigate/act.

Hate the suspension all you want, at least the league appears to have done the investigative work and had many people contribute to this ruling. 6 games is consistent with their policy, so makes sense to me.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am

DreadNaught wrote:I'm a bit surprised by the lack of Roger Goodell hate amd conspiracy (NFL hates the Cowboys) talk in the thread based on the suspension length. Not in a bad way by any means. The league took it on the chin after the Ray Rice saga and relying on LE to investigate/act.

Hate the suspension all you want, at least the league appears to have done the investigative work and had many people contribute to this ruling. 6 games is consistent with their policy, so makes sense to me.

Visit a Cowboy's board and you'll see plenty of Goodell hate. One of my neighbors is a Cowboy's fan and he's threatening to stop watching NFL football over this. :lol:
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:00 am

I'm totally hating on Goodell, he plays judge and jury. The NFL is not a courtroom, there's no system set up for the accused, no standard for evidence, nothing to get a fair shake. Merely what Goodell reads, what he chooses to believes what not, and his sentence. It's BS. And I'm pretty sure it's 6 games with the full intention of the appeal getting it down to like 3.
Doctor

Postby NYBF » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:49 am

DreadNaught wrote: (NFL hates the Cowboys)

People actually think this?
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:28 am

Doctor wrote:I'm totally hating on Goodell, he plays judge and jury. The NFL is not a courtroom, there's no system set up for the accused, no standard for evidence, nothing to get a fair shake. Merely what Goodell reads, what he chooses to believes what not, and his sentence. It's BS. And I'm pretty sure it's 6 games with the full intention of the appeal getting it down to like 3.

I highly doubt it. A federal judge has ruled that the NFL has the power to impose discipline per the CBA so Elliott and the NFLPA don't have much of a case.

Did you even read the letter the NFL provided Elliott regarding his suspension?

There is no pleasing everyone when it comes to player discipline and the NFL and NFLPA collectively bargained for the system in place. The NFL is a business and the 32 league owners wanted to the league office (run by the Commissioner) to have the final say on player discipline, so your hating is misguided at best. But this idea that Goodell sits alone in his office and makes decisions off the cuff is absurd. The NFL investigated this matter 100x more in depth than LE did and had many experts contribute to the recommended discipline.

We've learned that the NFL simply cannot rely on our justice system when it comes discipline, especially when assaulting woman is involved. The league holds players to a higher standard of conduct (rightfully so, imo) and it's per that Personal Conduct Policy that players must adhere to and be disciplined under.

I'm not trying to argue it's a perfect system, or that there still isn't some level of subjectivity by the league. But it's better that what was in place before the Greg Hardy and Ray Rice sagas when the league was crucified for being too soft. The old way of the NFL waiting on the justice system to determine guilt and act accordingly was deemed insufficient.

Maybe in the next CBA the two sides can agree to some type of 3rd party disciplinary board.
Last edited by DreadNaught on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:30 am

NYBF wrote:
DreadNaught wrote: (NFL hates the Cowboys)

I don't know, that just seems to a popular talking point whenever a team/player is suspended. People thought and maybe still think Goodell hates the Patriots despite Kraft being one of Goodell's biggest advocates prior to the deflategate nonsense.
DreadNaught

Postby Hit55 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 am

Doctor wrote:I'm totally hating on Goodell, he plays judge and jury. The NFL is not a courtroom, there's no system set up for the accused, no standard for evidence, nothing to get a fair shake. Merely what Goodell reads, what he chooses to believes what not, and his sentence. It's BS. And I'm pretty sure it's 6 games with the full intention of the appeal getting it down to like 3.

I'm not entirely sure the league is going to budge too much on this. Maybe a game or two. MAYBE. Regardless of what people will think, it's better to "overshoot" the suspension than "undershoot" it. Goodell has learned this. And perhaps Goodell and the NFL have now established that this will be the precedent from now on for domestic violence. It may suck for some fans that it had to be a star player on which this new policy is first implemented, but it means more that way. Trust me, Goodell wants Zeke on the field. Zeke is a Cowboy, led the league in rushing last year, and showed that he is a flat out stud RB. He's a cash-cow for the league. His jersey sells. And people tune into Cowboys games because Zeke is an exciting player to watch. Despite that, this is a good thing, and a win for the NFL. Players' union may not like it, but it needed to happen.

If Goodell gives Zeke a couple of games or a "slap on the wrist", it continues to show that the NFL does not believe/support women as much as they would like. Just because the courts and police investigations don't pursue charges doesn't mean it didn't happen. Domestic violence is a serious issue and for some reason, there seems to be less of an understanding or an inclination to WANT to understand what constitutes domestic violence, sexual assault/harassment, etc. It's been said before, but the NFL has a serious image problem...it seems it's far worse than any other sport in these matters. And I believe Goodell is correctly prioritizing this above all other things (except maybe for concussion issues) at the moment. Further, it's not like Zeke's conduct in the NFL has been very professional since entering the league. Think back to the St. Patty's Day parade. Completely idiotic and very immature move.

This is coming from a guy who, in Bayou's famous 20-team keeper league, traded several picks to trade up last year to get Zeke and obviously kept him.
Hit55

Postby Buc2 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:05 am

Hit55 wrote:

I'm not entirely sure the league is going to budge too much on this. Maybe a game or two. MAYBE. Regardless of what people will think, it's better to "overshoot" the suspension than "undershoot" it. Goodell has learned this. And perhaps Goodell and the NFL have now established that this will be the precedent from now on for domestic violence. It may suck for some fans that it had to be a star player on which this new policy is first implemented, but it means more that way. Trust me, Goodell wants Zeke on the field. Zeke is a Cowboy, led the league in rushing last year, and showed that he is a flat out stud RB. He's a cash-cow for the league. His jersey sells. And people tune into Cowboys games because Zeke is an exciting player to watch. Despite that, this is a good thing, and a win for the NFL. Players' union may not like it, but it needed to happen.

If Goodell gives Zeke a couple of games or a "slap on the wrist", it continues to show that the NFL does not believe/support women as much as they would like. Just because the courts and police investigations don't pursue charges doesn't mean it didn't happen. Domestic violence is a serious issue and for some reason, there seems to be less of an understanding or an inclination to WANT to understand what constitutes domestic violence, sexual assault/harassment, etc. It's been said before, but the NFL has a serious image problem...it seems it's far worse than any other sport in these matters. And I believe Goodell is correctly prioritizing this above all other things (except maybe for concussion issues) at the moment. Further, it's not like Zeke's conduct in the NFL has been very professional since entering the league. Think back to the St. Patty's Day parade. Completely idiotic and very immature move.

This is coming from a guy who, in Bayou's famous 20-team keeper league, traded several picks to trade up last year to get Zeke and obviously kept him.

Well said. I hope you won't mind if I quote you elsewhere.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby NYBF » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:13 am

DreadNaught wrote:
NYBF wrote:

I don't know, that just seems to a popular talking point whenever a team/player is suspended. People thought and maybe still think Goodell hates the Patriots despite Kraft being one of Goodell's biggest advocates prior to the deflategate nonsense.

Right. But the way Goodell dragged the stupid "investigation" on forever kind of justifies that line of thinking. Allowing Elliot to play a full season while they did absolutely nothing regarding these allegations makes it look like they did the Cowboys a favor more than anything.
NYBF

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:31 am

NYBF wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Right. But the way Goodell dragged the stupid "investigation" on forever kind of justifies that line of thinking. Allowing Elliot to play a full season while they did absolutely nothing regarding these allegations makes it look like they did the Cowboys a favor more than anything.

That's fair. Goodell certainly deserves criticism, in fact I'd argue it in his job description. He's the punching bag/shield to protect the 32 owners. Which is why I also think a lot of the criticism is misguided when it comes the doling out of the actual punishment since this is the what the NFLPA agree to. Perhaps having less padded practices in training camp or more free time away from the facility shouldn't have been such a high priority for the players when they were negotiating and more emphasis should've been on of having a 3rd party discipline board. Or maybe not, since the personal conduct policy only affects a very small percent of the players and the NFLPA's mission is to look out for the greater good of all players.

At the end of the day the authority to discipline has to reside somewhere. It's not like the teams are going punish their own players, so they make the league do it. Thus Roger is the bad guy on all matters of personal conduct, just as the league wants it.
DreadNaught

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions