NFLPA and NFL players are too soft like a Twinkie

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: NFLPA and NFL players are too soft like a Twinkie

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:02 am

Ken Carson wrote:A controversy requires two sides. On one side, you have a guy who wants the police to stop killing unarmed black people and raise awareness using his professional platform. On the other side of the controversy you have the methods, actions, and statements he's made to promote his activism which include (but not limited to);

Calling cops Pigs
Calling cops slave owners and slave traders
Calling anyone who disagrees a racist (the default SJW argument)
Depicting NFL owners as slave owners
Depicting NFL players has house ni**as
Putting his personal goals/priorities OVER that of his employers and teams goals/priorities
Deciding his activism is more important than honoring our country for 90 seconds, which provides the very platform he has.
Supporting a brutal dictator in Fidel Castro

You're portraying this narrative that it should all be sunshine and rainbows with Kaep and that every single thing he's done should be viewed as a positive. So while I agree there has been alot of positives in the form of awareness as a result of his activism, but there is also some very warranted criticism to some of his methods which you don't seem open to consider. Maybe you feel the ends justified the means to bring awareness. But those actions were controversial. So why are you unwilling to see how the ends do NOT justify the means when comes to signing Kaep to a be back-up QB from an NFL team perspective?
DreadNaught

Postby Deuce » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 am

real bucs fan wrote:
GameTime wrote:I think there is serious doubt about it. Can he sit in the pocket and read a defense? Is he a guy that can run the same offense as the starter? Can he get the rest of the offense the practice reps they need? Is he a guy that leads teammates? Is he a guy that can sit in meetings and make the starter better?

He can run when a play breaks down. Hes got a big arm. But he also showcased when he was with one of the top football coaches around. Is he good enough to be worth the circus? Im not sure any fan is dialed in enough to know the real answer.

Have you seen how terrible the backups are league wide? Kap would be one of the better backups in the league. Locker rooms would embrace him with open arms. Coaches would love to have him as an emergency fill in who can also run specialty packages.

The only reason he's not on a roster right now is due to politics. Period.

Please read through multiple threads where this has been disproven. Thanks.
Deuce

Postby Bucs N Beers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:05 am

Deuce wrote:
Bucs N Beers wrote:Anyone remember what happened when the 49ers played the Bears last year? In case you forgot:

Colin Kaepernick went 1-5 for 4 yards, 5 sacks and a fumble. He was pulled from the game in the 4th quarter.

Doesn't say anything about his entire season as a whole. And it was really bad weather that day. But that may be the worst statline you'll ever see for a guy that played almost the whole game and didn't leave injured.

I'll never forget. I'm in a 2 QB fantasy league and QBs get scarce quick when a couple of injuries pop up. While ugly, Kaepernick had posted decent stats the few weeks leading up to that, so I started him at my 2nd QB spot (other option was Sam Bradford). He posts that stinker and I get negative points from him.

I drop him and the next week he puts up 296 yards, 3 TDs and 113 rushing yards against Miami. :banghead:

Same exact thing happened to a guy in my league. He had Flacco and Carson Palmer and decided to pick up CK 25 minutes before kickoff. Then Joe Flacco went out and threw for 381 yards and 4 TD’s, Palmer threw for 300 yards and 3 TD’s. His bench QB's threw for 681 yards and 7 TD’s. Either one would have one won him his matchup. Then CK crapped the bed.
Bucs N Beers

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:06 am

real bucs fan wrote:The only reason he's not on a roster right now is due to politics. Period.

And whose decision was that?
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 am

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:The only reason he's not on a roster right now is due to politics. Period.

He peacefully protested folks getting murdered by police by taking a knee. Big deal.
real bucs fan

Postby Bucs N Beers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:06 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

He peacefully protested folks getting murdered by police by taking a knee. Big deal.

He peacefully protested folks getting murdered by police by taking a knee....which was then blown up in to a media circus. I doubt many owners care about CK's personal feelings on things. Much more likely they care about optics and public perception. Everything about NFL owners comes down to one thing. Money.
Bucs N Beers

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:14 pm

Bucs N Beers wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

He peacefully protested folks getting murdered by police by taking a knee....which was then blown up in to a media circus. I doubt many owners care about CK's personal feelings on things. Much more likely they care about optics and public perception. Everything about NFL owners comes down to one thing. Money.

No doubt.

I honestly think the Cowboys should look at him. If Dak got hurt, their season is done. Kellen Moore is brutal. Kap I believe would be a nice fit in that offence, and being able to lean on that run game and o-line would do him wonders. Plus I think Dez would be a great weapon for him.
real bucs fan

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:21 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
Bucs N Beers wrote:

No doubt.

I honestly think the Cowboys should look at him. If Dak got hurt, their season is done. Kellen Moore is brutal. Kap I believe would be a nice fit in that offence, and being able to lean on that run game and o-line would do him wonders. Plus I think Dez would be a great weapon for him.

I think Dallas is a great fit for him. I don't players would pressure for him to start. Jerry doesn't really care about "bad" media attention. The only thing we don't know is if CK is willing to play there as a back up, likely on a smaller contract.

edit: As I've stated previously, through all of this, we don't know what he is demanding. There were a lot of rumors before the draft that he turned down a back up role for a "potential playoff team". A lot of people assumed it was the Broncos. There are reports recently he has declined to talk to some teams. I think it would be beneficial for him to come out and make a statement about football. The only thing he has done is retweeting articles about him and his "advisor" has hinted or said that they don't believe he is being blackballed, but nothing official. The only thing we get from CK is the very thing that some people are so upset about.
uscbucsfan

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:27 pm

real bucs fan wrote:CK should be on a roster, no doubt about it. Though I think it's only a matter of time. Cutler made more sense for the Dolphins. Fitz made more sense for the Bucs. Just needs a team to get desperate. Heck, the Cowboys would be wise to add him Kellen Moore is absolute dogshit. And a lefty. Kap can be a dangerous backup.

If Prescott goes down Romo unretires.
IchabodCrane84

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:57 pm

From what I can tell he opted out of 14.5 million for this year to be a backup. I don't know what backups get paid, but even without all the public issues what would a team plan to pay him to be a backup? I doubt its going to be close to 14.5 million he had in hand to be a backup already.

Cutler got 10 million before incentives.

Fitzpatrick got 3 million.

He was unhappy with the roll everyone seems to say he should get. He was unhappy getting paid vastly more than what he is going to be paid anywhere. He is showing making a poor decision to give up that already. He has some physical tools but not all of them, and not all the mental ones either.

Feels like people just want him hired for a political reason rather than a team or organizational reason.
PanteraCanes

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:59 pm

GameTime wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:What neither Teitan nor you nor anyone else I can see in this thread has said is WHY it was controversial. I'm not sure what is so hard about my request.

A controversy requires two sides. On one side, you have a guy who wants the police to stop killing unarmed black people and raise awareness using his professional platform. On the other side of the controversy you have <your response goes here>.

This is a joke, right? It was highly controversial because of HOW he choose to raise awareness. It would not have been highly controversial had he had a conversation with the owner, asked him to match his own donation, and had a press conference to announce the givings.

See, here is where I think you just can't seem to grasp this. Kneeling during the national anthem is not inherently disrespectful or even controversial. If Colin Kaepernick was kneeling during the national anthem to pray for soldiers deployed at war, you would probably think he is a great patriot. Or at least you might understand his intention.

So I'll ask you yet again... why is his protest controversial?
Ken Carson

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
GameTime wrote:This is a joke, right? It was highly controversial because of HOW he choose to raise awareness. It would not have been highly controversial had he had a conversation with the owner, asked him to match his own donation, and had a press conference to announce the givings.

See, here is where I think you just can't seem to grasp this. Kneeling during the national anthem is not inherently disrespectful or even controversial. If Colin Kaepernick was kneeling during the national anthem to pray for soldiers deployed at war, you would probably think he is a great patriot. Or at least you might understand his intention.

I answered this...
uscbucsfan

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:04 pm

PanteraCanes wrote:From what I can tell he opted out of 14.5 million for this year to be a backup.

In going to stop you here because the premise you begin here is flawed. The 49ers told him he was going to be released, so he opted out to give himself more time on the FA market.

Kaepernick's representatives informed teams earlier this week that he would be opting out of the final year of his contract with the 49ers. The paperwork was finalized and filed Friday. Kaepernick, who restructured his contract last October, will become an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins next Thursday.

But even if Kaepernick hadn't exercised that option, he wouldn't have been back with the 49ers under the terms of his current contract. General manager John Lynch told SiriusXM radio on Thursday afternoon that the team would have released Kaepernick had he not elected to opt out.
Ken Carson

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
PanteraCanes wrote:From what I can tell he opted out of 14.5 million for this year to be a backup.

In going to stop you here because the premise you begin here is flawed. The 49ers told him he was going to be released, so he opted out to give himself more time on the FA market.

Kaepernick's representatives informed teams earlier this week that he would be opting out of the final year of his contract with the 49ers. The paperwork was finalized and filed Friday. Kaepernick, who restructured his contract last October, will become an unrestricted free agent when the new league year begins next Thursday.

But even if Kaepernick hadn't exercised that option, he wouldn't have been back with the 49ers under the terms of his current contract. General manager John Lynch told SiriusXM radio on Thursday afternoon that the team would have released Kaepernick had he not elected to opt out.

Would it change your view at all if he really was not interesting in some teams, he really did turn down back up jobs?
uscbucsfan

Postby Super K » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:17 pm

This while situation is a damn fiasco...

NFL team can hire/employ anyone they damn well please..yes, he may be getting blackballed for his political views/statements/actions...welcome to the real world..

Question for those folks keeping the Kap dream alive...you are just as pissed off at Google for firing one of their employees over a memo correct?...because you can't live on both sides of the fence..
Super K

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:20 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:A controversy requires two sides. On one side, you have a guy who wants the police to stop killing unarmed black people and raise awareness using his professional platform. On the other side of the controversy you have the methods, actions, and statements he's made to promote his activism which include (but not limited to);

Calling cops Pigs
Calling cops slave owners and slave traders
Calling anyone who disagrees a racist (the default SJW argument)
Depicting NFL owners as slave owners
Depicting NFL players has house ni**as
Putting his personal goals/priorities OVER that of his employers and teams goals/priorities
Deciding his activism is more important than honoring our country for 90 seconds, which provides the very platform he has.
Supporting a brutal dictator in Fidel Castro

You're portraying this narrative that it should all be sunshine and rainbows with Kaep and that every single thing he's done should be viewed as a positive. So while I agree there has been alot of positives in the form of awareness as a result of his activism, but there is also some very warranted criticism to some of his methods which you don't seem open to consider. Maybe you feel the ends justified the means to bring awareness. But those actions were controversial. So why are you unwilling to see how the ends do NOT justify the means when comes to signing Kaep to a be back-up QB from an NFL team perspective?

You take so many liberties with the stuff in red. Show your work.

Hell, I live with a Cuban, and I hate Castro. I honk he was stupid for wearing that t-shirt. But you should listen to the exchange he had with the Miami reporter about it. He held his composure and sounded very informed. Yeah, he said something stupid about literacy in Cuba, but his points back to Salguero show he isn't some mindless SJW zombie.
Ken Carson

Postby PanteraCanes » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:32 pm

Ken Carson wrote:

Perhaps I was wrong. I was under the assumption his contract was guaranteed for this year. I will have to look up more as it seemed to be an injury guarantee?

Either way the rest of it all still stands. This is more a political statement of you (and others) wanting him to work than it is a beneficial one for an organization. Either that or a hard troll. Maybe both.
PanteraCanes

Postby sanka » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:10 pm

Tampa2 wrote:If anyone on this board believes that Kaep could have played for the Dolphins then they have lost their minds. During his protests last year, Kaep told the whole world how much he admired Fidel Castro. Do you understand how that plays out in South Florida? Castro is the Anti-Christ in their minds. He would have been lynched by the mob

Castro is a legend ...
sanka

Postby Patrick McIrish » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:21 pm

One LEGEND here, his name isn't Castro.

We move on....
Patrick McIrish

Postby sanka » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:30 pm

Patrick McIrish wrote:One LEGEND here, his name isn't Castro.

We move on....

Patrick u are still alive?
sanka

Postby sanka » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:34 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

Exactly...for kneeling down to a song written in 1814 saying land of the free :lol: :lol:
sanka

Postby GameTime » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:07 pm

Ken Carson wrote:See, here is where I think you just can't seem to grasp this. Kneeling during the national anthem is not inherently disrespectful or even controversial. If Colin Kaepernick was kneeling during the national anthem to pray for soldiers deployed at war, you would probably think he is a great patriot. Or at least you might understand his intention.

i think you should say, "kneeling during the national anthem is not inherently disrepectful or even controversial to Ken Carson". Who are you to decide what is disrespect or controversial to others?

If CK was kneeling during the national anthem to pray for soldiers deployed at war it would probably still be controversial. How about waiting 2 minutes to pray? Or praying 2 minutes earlier? To you, patriotism might not mean a thing. To others, it might be pretty important. He chose his protest over patriotism imo.

I still dont think you understand the meaning of the word controversial though. Any form of protest is likely to be controversial.
GameTime

Postby GameTime » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:08 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
He peacefully protested folks getting murdered by police by taking a knee (DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM). Big deal.
GameTime

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:32 pm

sanka wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Exactly...for kneeling down to a song written in 1814 saying land of the free :lol: :lol:

You disgust me.
beardmcdoug

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:51 pm

GameTime wrote: To you, patriotism might not mean a thing. To others, it might be pretty important. He chose his protest over patriotism imo.

Finally, we get there!!

Patriotism means more than the flag and the anthem. It's the FREEDOM those things represent. That's the whole point of protesting during the anthem. You're so myopically fixated on the small act of kneeling during the anthem that you missed that.
Ken Carson

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
sanka wrote:Exactly...for kneeling down to a song written in 1814 saying land of the free :lol: :lol:

You disgust me.

I believe he is referencing the amount of slavery happening in the land of the free in 1814.
Ken Carson

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:03 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:Image

You disgust me.

I believe he is referencing the amount of slavery happening in the land of the free in 1814.

I know. He disgusts me all the same.
beardmcdoug

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:06 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:I believe he is referencing the amount of slavery happening in the land of the free in 1814.

I know. He disgusts me all the same.

Fair enough.
Ken Carson

Postby sanka » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:27 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
sanka wrote:Exactly...for kneeling down to a song written in 1814 saying land of the free :lol: :lol:

You disgust me.

I am pretty sure GW is disgusted at the state of the executive and legislative branches of govt right now....
sanka

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:30 pm

GameTime wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:
He peacefully protested folks getting murdered by police by taking a knee (DURING THE NATIONAL ANTHEM). Big deal.

Would you rather he did it during the game? Lol

Pretty sure that would be a loss of a down and some yardage
real bucs fan

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions