**1st Official Depth Chart of 2017**

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
**1st Official Depth Chart of 2017**

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 pm

1st depth chart of 2017 released. According to the Bucs official website the 2nd & 3rd string players at QB and RB share the 2nd spot and both kickers at this point share the job. Neither is in front of the other at those spots.

Full depth chart
Offense
Quarterback: Jameis Winston, Ryan Fitzpatrick or Ryan Griffin, Sefo Liufau

Wide receiver 1: DeSean Jackson, Adam Humphries, Donteea Dye, Josh Huff, Jesus Wilson, Shaq Hill

Wide receiver 2: Mike Evans, Freddie Martino, Chris Godwin, Bernard Reedy, Derel Walker

Tight end 1: Cameron Brate, Tevin Westbrook, Antony Auclair

Tight end 2: O.J. Howard, Luke Stocker, Alan Cross, Austin Johnson

Running back: Doug Martin, Jacquizz Rodgers or Charles Sims, Peyton Barber, Jeremy McNichols, Russell Hansbrough, Blake Sims, Quayvon Hicks

Left tackle: Donovan Smith, Leonard Wester, Cole Gardner

Left guard: Kevin Pamphile, Josh Allen, Jarvis Harrison

Center: Ali Marpet, Joe Hawley, James Stone

Right guard: J.R. Sweezy, Evan Smith, Michael Liedtke

Right tackle: Demar Dotson, Caleb Benenoch, Korren Kirven

Defense
Defensive end 1: Robert Ayers, Noah Spence, Ryan Russell, Justin Trattou, Tavaris Barnes

Defensive tackle 1: Gerald McCoy, Clinton McDonald, Channing Ward

Defensive tackle 2: Chris Baker, Sealver Siliga, Stevie Tu'ikolovatu

Defensive end 2: William Gholston, DaVonte Lambert, George Johnson, Jacquies Smith (injured), Sterling Bailey

Strongside linebacker: Devante Bond, Kendell Beckwith, Jeff Knox

Middle linebacker: Kwon Alexander, Adarius Glanton, Riley Bullough

Weakside linebacker: Lavonte David, Cameron Lynch, Richie Brown, Eric Nzeocha

Cornerback 1: Vernon Hargreaves, Jude Adjei-Barimah, Robert McClain, Jonathan Moxey

Cornerback 2: Brent Grimes, Ryan Smith, Javien Elliott, Maurice Fleming

Safety 1: Chris Conte, Justin Evans, Isaiah Johnson, Cody Riggs

Safety 2: Keith Tandy, J.J. Wilcox, Josh Robinson, Marqueston Huff

Special teams
Punter: Bryan Anger

Placekicker: Roberto Aguayo or Nick Folk

Kickoffs: Roberto Aguayo, Nick Folk

Holder: Bryan Anger

Longsnapper: Garrison Sanborn, Adarius Glanton

Punt returner: Adam Humphries, Vernon Hargreaves III, Bernard Reedy, Bobo Wilson

Kick returner: Ryan Smith, Donteea Dye Jr., Josh Huff, Justin Evans
Last edited by Bootz2004 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bootz2004

Re: **1st Official Depth Chart of 2017**

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:07 pm

Wilcox and Tandy at the same spot? Conte starting if we had to play today? Quit ****ing with us, Dirk.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Super K » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:12 pm

VauntedTampa2 wrote:Wilcox and Tandy at the same spot? Conte starting if we had to play today? Quit ****ing with us, Dirk.

Haha..

It's the first "vanilla" depth chart..he's not giving ANYTHING to the rookies or new, boderline, FAs..

Just look at WR..no freakin way Martino is ahead of Godwin..
Super K

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:16 pm

I agree.

I want to see Tandy at FS and Wilcox at SS, or starting in interchangeable spots, with Evans backing up.

Conte can play ST.
VauntedTampa2

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:21 pm

Super K wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:Wilcox and Tandy at the same spot? Conte starting if we had to play today? Quit ****ing with us, Dirk.

Haha..

It's the first "vanilla" depth chart..he's not giving ANYTHING to the rookies or new, boderline, FAs..

Yup good call. Koetter wants to keep that carrot out there for Godwin. He knows what he's doing. And Godwin will be all the better for it
beardmcdoug

Postby Hit55 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:36 pm

beardmcdoug wrote:
Super K wrote:
Haha..

Yup good call. Koetter wants to keep that carrot out there for Godwin. He knows what he's doing. And Godwin will be all the better for it

Any better, and we might wanna hold onto our lug nuts because it's going to be a hell of a ride. Godwin has been NASTY in camp. He is making some very difficult catches look way too easy. And he looks smooth running his routes and timing his jumps perfectly. In the camps I've gone to so far, he's maybe dropped 1 pass. I'm really excited for our WR depth this year.
Hit55

Postby Swashy » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:46 pm

I can't claim I've watched Godwin in camp but for those who have, do you think there's a chance he displaces Hump as our #3? It's really starting to sound like this guy is a grand slam pick in terms of value like a 3rd rounder playing like a 1st rounder.
Swashy

Postby terrytate » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Swashy wrote:I can't claim I've watched Godwin in camp but for those who have, do you think there's a chance he displaces Hump as our #3? It's really starting to sound like this guy is a grand slam pick in terms of value like a 3rd rounder playing like a 1st rounder.

It's camp, don't read too much in glowing early reviews. I could easily see Godwin being the 4th or 5th WR simply because other guys have a year or two in the offense already. Godwin is clearly better in raw talent but might need some seasoning before he moves up the chart.

Edit: I do love that both Brate and Howard are starters. I had wondered how Keotter would organize them on the depth chart, the answer turned out to be pretty simple.
terrytate

Postby deltbucs » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Surprised to see Ryan Smith ahead of Javien Elliott. I know the staff likes Elliott...and as new as he is to the game, he should only be improving.
deltbucs

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:34 pm

Super K wrote:

Haha..

At this point, why not? What has Godwin accomplished on an NFL field?
Bootz2004

Postby RamonDeLaFuente » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:47 pm

deltbucs wrote:Surprised to see Ryan Smith ahead of Javien Elliott. I know the staff likes Elliott...and as new as he is to the game, he should only be improving.

I think that is only because they don't list nickle... Ryan Smith is seemingly primary backup on the outside, where Elliott is battling for starting nickle position
RamonDeLaFuente

Postby RamonDeLaFuente » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Well, Wilcox and Evans have had something like 8 practices with the team so far, so what did you expect?
RamonDeLaFuente

Postby MJW » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Preseason depth charts are motivational tools for the players. Nothing more. The best 22 will be at the top come September.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:14 pm

RamonDeLaFuente wrote:

Well, Wilcox and Evans have had something like 8 practices with the team so far, so what did you expect?

Yep. They did nothing in OTAs and mini camps
Bootz2004

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:08 am

deltbucs wrote:Surprised to see Ryan Smith ahead of Javien Elliott. I know the staff likes Elliott...and as new as he is to the game, he should only be improving.

I read Ryan is one of the gunners, I dont have a clue who the other might be. Edit: Nevermind, I forgot Josh Robinson...
Last edited by mdb1958 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:16 am

Ritchie Brown, Riley Bullough, and Jeff Knox will have to supplant Adarius Glanton and Cameron Lynch for their roles on special teams.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:23 am

I wonder, if at times they have Hargreaves play the middle? That would get Ryan Smith on the field but who else would be a likely candidate? Somebody is going to have to start getting some reps on the outside for the future.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:28 am

Looks like a lot of players battling for a half dozen spots or so.
mdb1958

Postby Naismith » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:23 am

Zero surprises and I think the current starters will be the starters come opening day, barring injuries and suspensions.
Naismith

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:54 am

mdb1958 wrote:I wonder, if at times they have Hargreaves play the middle? That would get Ryan Smith on the field but who else would be a likely candidate? Somebody is going to have to start getting some reps on the outside for the future.

VH3 won't be playing nickel (middle?). The team tooled around with that last season in camp before putting him outside full time. I haven't seen VH3 line up inside this entire camp as he and Grimes are entrenched as our starting CBs on the outside just like last season.

Javion Elliott has looked great at Nickel this camp after playing very well there in place of JudeAB the final 4 games last season (alot of people overlook that). I'd bet Elliott will win that (nickel) job. JudeAB and Bobby Mac have looked good in camp also so there is good competition at nickel.

I commented the other day that I could see the team keeping 11 DBs (6CBs 5 Safeties) with the aforementioned 6 CBs along with Safety/ST Ace Josh Robinson and 4 safeties (Conte-Tandy-Evans-Wilcox).

That likely would mean only 5 LBs (which is what we've carried for better part of the last 2 seasons).
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:00 am

The key position battles as I see it are;

Safety (Tandy looks to be a starter, but Wilcox has been great in camp and could supplant Conte who hasn't been too shabby either)
Kicker (obviously)
5th LB
5th WR
Swing Tackle (Benenoch or Wester)
RB (Can Barber or McNichols show enough to overtake Rodgers or Sims for touches those first 3 games)

As a fan you really have to be impressed with the talent and depth on this team compared to years past.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:10 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Super K wrote:
Haha..

I'm pretty sure Godwin being behind Martino on this meaningless depth chart is some type of rookie thing, although why would Howard be ahead of Stocker?

Godwin has had a better and more consistent camp than Howard and considerably better than Martino. I don't think that is debatable.

I'm not worried about it, just a little confusing why one rookie is ahead of a vet (Howard-Stocker) but not Godwin. Stocker is a much more established vet and member of this team than Freddy Martino.

Either way, Godwin will be a contributor to this offense and I doubt Martino makes the 53.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:18 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I'm pretty sure Godwin being behind Martino on this meaningless depth chart is some type of rookie thing, although why would Howard be ahead of Stocker?

Godwin has had a better and more consistent camp than Howard and considerably better than Martino. I don't think that is debatable.

I'm not worried about it, just a little confusing why one rookie is ahead of a vet (Howard-Stocker) but not Godwin. Stocker is a much more established vet and member of this team than Freddy Martino.

Either way, Godwin will be a contributor to this offense and I doubt Martino makes the 53.

It's pretty obvious. Koetter doesn't build his depth chart in a vanilla, traditional sense. The TE positions are different. The WR positions are different as are the CB positions. If I had to guess Humphries and Martino are viewed as the 1 and 2 slot receivers with Dye and Godwin being the primary backups outside. Howard and Stocker are in the Y TE position and seeing as Stocker offers less than nothing as a receiver and Howard was a 1st round pick it was rather easy to put him in that spot. He's earned it. Martini and Godwin aren't fighting for a starting spot. Not even at slot. So as much as people want to see Godwin play slot, it's not happening. Hasn't happened in college much for him. Isn't happening much if at all at TC. I don't recall seeing him in the slot, do you?
Bootz2004

Postby Rocker » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:28 am

I think over in the "official" thread someone commented that Godwin has been taking slot snaps. Or perhaps lining up inside when we go 4/5. Either way, I agree with you that it's an uphill battle to take that from Humphries at this stage. It's better for the offense as a whole for him to give a breather to our outside guys.
Rocker

Postby paco74 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:45 am

Anyone else worried about the depth at LBer?
paco74

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:51 am

Naismith wrote:Zero surprises and I think the current starters will be the starters come opening day, barring injuries and suspensions.

You expected Martino to be above Godwin?
PrimeMinister

Postby Doctor » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:58 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
Naismith wrote:Zero surprises and I think the current starters will be the starters come opening day, barring injuries and suspensions.

You expected Martino to be above Godwin?

I could see it. Having a year under the system is a huge advantage this early. And even though most fans don't think so it actually takes time to learn the playbook and the lingo. We don't have Matrix chairs.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:11 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

It's pretty obvious. Koetter doesn't build his depth chart in a vanilla, traditional sense. The TE positions are different. The WR positions are different as are the CB positions. If I had to guess Humphries and Martino are viewed as the 1 and 2 slot receivers with Dye and Godwin being the primary backups outside. Howard and Stocker are in the Y TE position and seeing as Stocker offers less than nothing as a receiver and Howard was a 1st round pick it was rather easy to put him in that spot. He's earned it. Martini and Godwin aren't fighting for a starting spot. Not even at slot. So as much as people want to see Godwin play slot, it's not happening. Hasn't happened in college much for him. Isn't happening much if at all at TC. I don't recall seeing him in the slot, do you?

So you posted earlier that Godwin hasn't done anything in the NFL and thus was behind Martino. Yet here you justify how "easy" it is to put Howard in front of Stocker (who is a much more established NFL vet and lockerroom presence than Freddy Martino). By your own logic "what has Godwin Howard accomplished on an NFL field"? Are you saying that being 1st round pick justifies it for Howard?

I've seen Godwin line up in the slot plenty, but I've seen all WR line up everywhere so I don't how much stock I'd put in it. Godwin is usually in the slot when he's running with the second team. When he's in there with Evans and/or Djax he's been on the outside for the most part. Which is another reason Godwin should be ahead of Martino in that Godwin gets alot of reps with Jameis and the 1st team. Much more than Martino does. So the practice reps are not reflective of the depth chart either in that regard.

Come this season I think we'll see Evans, DJax, and obviously Hump all work out of the slot in 3-4 WR formations. Maybe even Godwin some also.

My point about him being behind Martino has ZERO to do with him playing the slot. I'm simply questioning the logic of having Howard over Stocker while having Martino over Godwin when Godwin has had the best camp of any of them day in and day out coupled with the fact Stocker is a more established player on this team.

I don't dispute Howard will/should start over Stocker and agree he should be there. But based on merit/performance and the same logic Godwin should also be over Martino.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:20 am

paco74 wrote:Anyone else worried about the depth at LBer?

Bond and Beckwith have both looked good. Both will struggle the further from the LOS they get on pass coverage/space. But that is not what either players strength is and I don't think we'll put them in those spots very often. I don't remember seeing Darryl Smith drifting too far from LOS last season.

As long as Kwon and LVD are healthy I feel great about our LBs. If one goes down I'm worried b/c teams will be able to match-up better with their RB/TE in the pass game.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:26 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

So you posted earlier that Godwin hasn't done anything in the NFL and thus was behind Martino. Yet here you justify how "easy" it is to put Howard in front of Stocker (who is a much more established NFL vet and lockerroom presence than Freddy Martino). By your own logic "what has Godwin Howard accomplished on an NFL field"? Are you saying that being 1st round pick justifies it for Howard?

I've seen Godwin line up in the slot plenty, but I've seen all WR line up everywhere so I don't how much stock I'd put in it. Godwin is usually in the slot when he's running with the second team. When he's in there with Evans and/or Djax he's been on the outside for the most part. Which is another reason Godwin should be ahead of Martino in that Godwin gets alot of reps with Jameis and the 1st team. Much more than Martino does. So the practice reps are not reflective of the depth chart either in that regard.

Come this season I think we'll see Evans, DJax, and obviously Hump all work out of the slot in 3-4 WR formations. Maybe even Godwin some also.

My point about him being behind Martino has ZERO to do with him playing the slot. I'm simply questioning the logic of having Howard over Stocker while having Martino over Godwin when Godwin has had the best camp of any of them day in and day out coupled with the fact Stocker is a more established player on this team.

I don't dispute Howard will/should start over Stocker and agree he should be there. But based on merit/performance and the same logic Godwin should also be over Martino.

1st round pick vs 3rd round pick. This is not a tough one. It happens annually all over the league. You think Howard and Godwin are equals? Of course you don't. With Martino/Godwin you're talking about the 4th/5th WR spots. Neither is vying for a starting spot. If Martino was our incumbent #2, perhaps you see Godwin ahead of him. But at this point they are both pretty much riding the bench. So at this point it doesn't matter. With Howard/Stocker you are talking about a starting spot. A starting spot that we've been lacking pretty much since ASJ was gone and likely before. Luke Stocker is a quality blocker but he's no threat as a receiver. He's in the final year of his contract and it's not even guaranteed. OJ Howard is a 1st round pick. The staff saw him as a valuable piece which is why they used a 1st round pick on him. What's the point of having him ride the bench for a mediocre player like Stocker? No use in wasting time there.
Bootz2004

Next

Return to Team Discussions