So I have to ask...

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
So I have to ask...

Postby Concrete » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Are any of you stick carriers? I recently came across this movement while watching YouTube videos of the Bucs and apparently the coaches and players are endorsing it. I listened to #209 and is the first time I've ever listened to a "podcast". Mind you I've never had a Facebook or anything of that nature. I'm guessing it's an attempt to give an identity to our fan base kind of like the 12th Man or The Terrible Towel.
Concrete

Re: So I have to ask...

Postby Super K » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Concrete wrote:Are any of you stick carriers? I recently came across this movement while watching YouTube videos of the Bucs and apparently the coaches and players are endorsing it. I listened to #209 and is the first time I've ever listened to a "podcast". Mind you I've never had a Facebook or anything of that nature. I'm guessing it's an attempt to give an identity to our fan base kind of like the 12th Man or The Terrible Towel.

I know the phrase/moniker pretty well from Twitter...

I follow Justin Pawlowski who started the whole thing..

From what I've read, our players know about it too..and there is some big gathering planned for training camp on 8.5...
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm in the Facebook group but I've considered leaving on multiple occasions.

Mostly because of the notification settings that blow up my phone, but now they're trolling sports writers on Twitter. Not impressed by that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Doctor » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:05 pm

First I'm hearing of it, so no.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:40 am

I would say we all are.

I don't really care if a fan identifies as a stick carrier as some badge of honor or is just much more of a low key fan that enjoys following the Bucs.

Alot of people try to define things, but imo this stick carrier thing is just an attempt to rally the fanbase together in a more organized way.

It's not about loyalty or factions. I listen to most Bucs podcasts, I tailgate with the WhatTheBuc crew a few games a year, and read PRs Fab 5 on Fridays. Palowski is just capitolizing on the opptimism and excitement within the fanbase right now and organizing some things.

We're all Bucs fans and if you've hung around here for the last decade you're definitely a loyal fan.

There is decent chance we're entering the golden age of this franchises success, and with every great franchise is a great fanbase led by the die-hards.

just my .02
DreadNaught

Postby Teitan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:49 am

I listened to the pod cast for awhile. Don't anymore. Pawlowski is an ***hole. There is no actual content on the pod cast. He just presses play and it's an hour of listening to adults cussing like they are kids and mommy left the room.

All he does is talk about how good his podcast is.

I got booted from the Facebook group for being critical of the podcast. I wasn't rude, either. Also blocked on twitter.. you aren't kissing his ass, he just blocks you.

The stick carrier thing makes me cringe. He's taken that cool moment from Koetter and absolutely beat it into the ground.
Last edited by Teitan on Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teitan

Postby Teitan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:51 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'm in the Facebook group but I've considered leaving on multiple occasions.

Mostly because of the notification settings that blow up my phone, but now they're trolling sports writers on Twitter. Not impressed by that.

That's all he does. He's going the "shock jock" approach and creating beef with all the sports writers to get all his dumb listeners to go nuts.
Teitan

Postby MJW » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:53 am

I didn't know what this was, and I wish I still didn't.
MJW

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:08 am

Teitan wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I'm in the Facebook group but I've considered leaving on multiple occasions.

That's all he does. He's going the "shock jock" approach and creating beef with all the sports writers to get all his dumb listeners to go nuts.

Meh, his listeners are just Bucs fans like we all are. I don't have the experience as you on social media so it's not personal to me.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe his dumb listeners are some siloed faction of Buc fans. Perhaps there are some like that, but by in large I can't imagine that is the case. I know for my circle of fans, we consume content from many outlets.

But it's whatever, everyone should be a fan however feels best and provides the most enjoyment to you personally. I certainly don't hate what Palowski is organizing, he's obviously filling a void that was created by the optimism within the fanbase.

Read and listen to whatever you want. If you want to get rowdy on Sundays with a fan group than this group is an option.
DreadNaught

Postby Teitan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:22 am

Of course not all are. But the vocal ones, and most that send in voice memos, seem to be. He veils all of it as "starting a movement" and "bringing fans together" but it's all done in kind of a spiteful way. He's doing it by stirring drama. And like i said, his podcast doesn't even dive into the team or the game. The off-season is all whining about tampa sports media and during the season it's all intsant reactions to games, in the form of drunken rambles.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:03 am

MJW wrote:I didn't know what this was, and I wish I still didn't.

I still don't know what it is.
Bootz2004

Postby Bucs N Beers » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:17 am

Koetter said speak softly and carry a big mother ****ing stick. Now this idea of "stick carriers". I personally think it's sounds cheesy and forced. Like when someone tries to force a nickname on a player. It's just corny.

Also didn't know Pawlowski came up with it. Makes sense though. The guy is a d-bag. Tried to listen to his podcast and agree that it's shock jock crap terrible.

Love that people are finding a way to try to come together. Wish it was something that didn't sound so forced.
Bucs N Beers

Postby Buc2 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:40 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:I didn't know what this was, and I wish I still didn't.

I still don't know what it is.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Super K » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:57 am

Kinda side with Dread here..

If I want informed and thought provoking Buc/football talk I come here...

All the "StickCarriers" are to me are a bunch of Bucs fans super excited about the team and upcoming season..

What's so wrong about that?
Super K

Postby Teitan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:17 am

I think it's that they go around bashing everything that isn't that podcast. If a local writer writes anything that isn't a full on ass kissing fluff piece, Pawlowski and the stick brigade roast them all over Twitter. They talk **** about other Bucs podcasts. It's just a negative thing. I thought his podcast idea was clever at first, but it's built on nothing and has worn thin.

He's less "bringing fans together" and more creating a mob. They plan to "take over training camp" to get on hardknocks. I just know it's going to be so embarrassing lol.
Teitan

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:36 am

I tried listening to his podcast, but all he does is talk ABOUT the podcast. Literally over a month of talking about his podcast and the "movement". I want to like this so much more, but he just sounds like a self important ***hole and that's turning me off from the whole thing. I listen to Ira Kaufman podcast and get actual information and news. I don't know that Justin's podcast is good for anything beyond stroking his "big stick".
PrimeMinister

Postby Super K » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:41 am

I'll trust you guys on that front..I don't, and will not, listen to the podcast..not my cup of tea..
Super K

Postby Teitan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:01 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:I tried listening to his podcast, but all he does is talk ABOUT the podcast. Literally over a month of talking about his podcast and the "movement".

So much this. He'll go on for 30+ minutes every show about it. And non-stop bragging about the "numbers". We get it, guy. I haven't listened in a couple months.

I agree about the Ira podcast. He actually discusses stuff about/going on with the team. He also provides actual interviews with players/coaches/GM. The co-host from JBF is a little cheesey and does way to much sponsor plugging throughout, but otherwise it's pretty good.
Teitan

Postby Caradoc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:22 pm

Pawolski is pushing it, but I think JBF actually started it. Once Koetter came out with that quote it wasn't long before "Stick Carriers" got added in with "America's Quarterback", "Rockstar GM", etc.

As far as social media, everyone on that is obnoxious at one point or another. just stop following that crap, you'll have a much nicer life.

I don't really get into the name of it, but it didn't seem too forced to me. And it it does catch on, there should be a lot of opportunities to give away those noisemaker sticks and make a lot of noise in the stadium.
Caradoc

Postby Selmon Rules » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:07 pm

Only podcast I have ever listened to is Mike Rowe and "The Way I Heard It". It's got an old Paul Harvey feel to it....
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:47 pm

Teitan wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:I tried listening to his podcast, but all he does is talk ABOUT the podcast. Literally over a month of talking about his podcast and the "movement".

So much this. He'll go on for 30+ minutes every show about it. And non-stop bragging about the "numbers". We get it, guy. I haven't listened in a couple months.

I agree about the Ira podcast. He actually discusses stuff about/going on with the team. He also provides actual interviews with players/coaches/GM. The co-host from JBF is a little cheesey and does way to much sponsor plugging throughout, but otherwise it's pretty good.

The Ira Kaufman podcast has gotten me through the offseason with constant Bucs news and discussion. Have you been following the "interview with Koetter" episodes? Pretty interesting things on each episode.
PrimeMinister

Postby Cheb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 pm

He sounds like an ***hole. Not interested.
Cheb

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:21 pm

Not that it's much of a shock, but I like the stone cold podcast for my Redneck beer swilling good time.

Steve cut a 20 minute promo on the mutherfuckin' spider that bit his dog last year. It was frickin hysterical.

When I want to stimulate my brain, Freakonomics and Radiolab do the trick.

I get all the Bucs talk I need right here.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby deltbucs » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:40 am

Concrete wrote:Are any of you stick carriers? I recently came across this movement while watching YouTube videos of the Bucs and apparently the coaches and players are endorsing it. I listened to #209 and is the first time I've ever listened to a "podcast". Mind you I've never had a Facebook or anything of that nature. I'm guessing it's an attempt to give an identity to our fan base kind of like the 12th Man or The Terrible Towel.

I have to ask... Why did you post this in all bold?
deltbucs

Postby mightyleemoon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:45 am

deltbucs wrote:

He posted it with a stick?

Also, I don't know what this stick thing is.
mightyleemoon

Postby Super K » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:52 am

deltbucs wrote:

All of his posts are in bold..it's his "thang"...

Or...his keyboard is broken...
Super K

Postby Teitan » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:01 pm

mightyleemoon wrote:
deltbucs wrote:I have to ask... Why did you post this in all bold?

He posted it with a stick?

Also, I don't know what this stick thing is.

Dirk Koetter said "speak softly Andy carry a big motherfucking stick" after a win. A D talent podcaster has started a group of fans that call themselves "stick carriers"
Teitan

Postby pewterpirates » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:30 pm

Teitan wrote:He's less "bringing fans together" and more creating a mob. They plan to "take over training camp" to get on hardknocks. I just know it's going to be so embarrassing lol.

That's what I'm most afraid of.....they're going to embarrass us all b/c of a few idiots who think their new little motto is cool.

Go look at Justin Pawlowski's twitter page....there's not a tweet on his timeline that isn't about "stick carrier." Overkill much?
pewterpirates

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:01 pm

pewterpirates wrote:
Teitan wrote:He's less "bringing fans together" and more creating a mob. They plan to "take over training camp" to get on hardknocks. I just know it's going to be so embarrassing lol.

That's what I'm most afraid of.....they're going to embarrass us all b/c of a few idiots who think their new little motto is cool.

Go look at Justin Pawlowski's twitter page....there's not a tweet on his timeline that isn't about "stick carrier." Overkill much?

yikes
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Teitan wrote:I think it's that they go around bashing everything that isn't that podcast. If a local writer writes anything that isn't a full on ass kissing fluff piece, Pawlowski and the stick brigade roast them all over Twitter. They talk **** about other Bucs podcasts. It's just a negative thing. I thought his podcast idea was clever at first, but it's built on nothing and has worn thin.

He's less "bringing fans together" and more creating a mob. They plan to "take over training camp" to get on hardknocks. I just know it's going to be so embarrassing lol.

Your experience is way different than my own. What is embarrassing? Who will be embarrassed?

FIrst - his podcast has been around alot longer than last years Charger game when Koetter quoted Teddy Roosevelt postgame. He started it after 98.7 The Fan shut it's doors and he was no longer a sports radio guy. It was around as his own podcast prior to the 2015 season and then he partnered w/ Luke Easterling and changed the name to 'Off the Edge'. They parted ways and Palowski took his podcast to JBF around the same time JBF hired Ira Kaufman about a year ago. The whole stick carrier manta is just some recent thing and being used as some rallying symbol for his listeners. At end of the day it's the optimism of the fanbase coming off of last season along with offseason additions that is driving whatever 'movement'. We start 0-5 and it will all be meaningless and we'll be talking about firing the FO and trading everyone away.

Overall the tone your post is very tribalistic and synonymous with how people talk about politics these days where everyone must in a group and if you're in that group you subscribe to that agenda of groupthink. I'd say that most people that listen to Bucs Uncensored also listen to various other Bucs Podcasts including Ira's, PRs and WTB's. I haven't listened to Bucs podcasts recently since it's the dog days of June-July and there is nothing to talk about, but I don't recall Juston calling out other podcasts other than responding to criticism that was initially directed at him, for which he has every right to do. He does go after Tom Jones and Scott Reynolds a bit harshly, but those guys are dipshits so I usually just laugh at it. But I get the criticism there, it's certainly valid.

I guess my point is that we are fans of the team. He's just leading a fan group that by-in large was his creation. I support all these groups where I can whether that it's here, attending a WTB tailgate or listening to Derek's podcast, reading PR's fab 5 or listening to their podcast, or chilling with the Buccaholics crew if I catch a west coast game. If one of them is not your cup of tea than that is OK also. But these groups organize events so that like-minded individuals can rally together. The WTB tailgates are fun, the Bucs Uncensored Draft party was a great time. I don't see how or why one needs to be hated when their end goal is the same as every other Bucs fan. If you don't like the content or method, just tune it out like you would a radio station that isn't playing your kind of music.
DreadNaught

Next

Return to Team Discussions