Aaron Hernandez: Dead

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Aaron Hernandez: Dead

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:43 am

NYBF wrote:
Teitan wrote:Apparently his suicide protects his estate from civil litigation.

Really? That is bullshit. Like rewarding him.

Yeah, they are reporting that under Mass. law it voids his conviction. I guess his family will get to hold on to whatever money he had left.
Teitan

Postby nhbucsfan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:21 am

I thought he pretty much spent what he had in his first trial.
nhbucsfan

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:25 am

It WAS decent of him to renegotiate his contract with the Massachusetts prison system and save them hundreds of thousands of dollars...
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby Bucs N Beers » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:35 am

NYBF wrote:

I'm Ok with it if his kid gets his money.

Per Wiki:
In the state of Massachusetts, Hernandez technically died an innocent man due to the legal principle of abatement ab initio, where if a person dies and has not exhausted all legal appeals, the case reverts to its status at the beginning; so the person becomes innocent. Hernandez had an appeal pending for his 2014 conviction in the murder of Odin Lloyd.[92]
Bucs N Beers

Postby terrytate » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:55 am

Bucs N Beers wrote:
NYBF wrote:

Per Wiki:
In the state of Massachusetts, Hernandez technically died an innocent man due to the legal principle of abatement ab initio, where if a person dies and has not exhausted all legal appeals, the case reverts to its status at the beginning; so the person becomes innocent. Hernandez had an appeal pending for his 2014 conviction in the murder of Odin Lloyd.[92]

Is a criminal conviction really necessary for a civil suit to go forward? Remember, OJ was acquitted of his murders yet Ron Goldman sued his tits off.

No matter what, Hernandez saved the tax payers a ton of money by removing the cost of jailing him for decades.
terrytate

Postby Deja Entendu » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:04 pm

NYBF wrote:

I disagree. His daughter shouldn't be punished for the crimes of her father.

I could understand if the crime involved some financial gain to the perp and loss to the victim (e.g. if he stole money from the victim, then the family of the victim should have the right to go after that money whether it's from the perp himself or his estate). That isn't the case here though.

Also, the loophole about his conviction being wiped out is strange, though pretty inconsequential since he's dead.

I wonder if the facts of that night -- and what led to it -- will ever come to light now.
Deja Entendu

Postby Kress » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm

That's absolute bullshit. Suicide voids your life insurance, and creates a presumption of guilt in civil litigation.
Kress

Postby Corsair » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 pm

From what I understand (maybe I'm wrong) is that he was all but broke after paying for his legal fees through the years.
Corsair

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:05 pm

terrytate wrote:
Bucs N Beers wrote:

Per Wiki:

Is a criminal conviction really necessary for a civil suit to go forward? Remember, OJ was acquitted of his murders yet Ron Goldman sued his tits off.

No matter what, Hernandez saved the tax payers a ton of money by removing the cost of jailing him for decades.

OJ was alive for his civil trial. So he was still able to stand trial in civil court. You can't take a dead man to court.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Corsair wrote:From what I understand (maybe I'm wrong) is that he was all but broke after paying for his legal fees through the years.

This is what I thought as well. Perhaps there was some money left, but after legal fees the past 4+ years fights 2 separate murder cases I can't imagine there is much left.
DreadNaught

Postby EastBayBucsFan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:16 pm

What's the difference between Aaron Hernandez and Tim Tebow?

Hernandez knows when to hang it up

MOLON LABE
EastBayBucsFan

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:11 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Corsair wrote:From what I understand (maybe I'm wrong) is that he was all but broke after paying for his legal fees through the years.

This is what I thought as well. Perhaps there was some money left, but after legal fees the past 4+ years fights 2 separate murder cases I can't imagine there is much left.

I'm thinking the same thing. He died penniless.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Kress » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:42 pm

EastBayBucsFan wrote:What's the difference between Aaron Hernandez and Tim Tebow?

Hernandez knows when to hang it up

I somehow feel guilty that I laughed.
Kress

Postby sanka » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:38 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:I don't understand. All he did was own a gun in his home, which is perfectly legal.

America and gun crazy culture....just the other day, a Cleveland madman shot a 74 yr old innocent man dead then took his own life like the bitch that he was...he should have tried that in east Cleveland. Then another madman in Fresno killing 3 people....this is what happens when you make it easy to access guns. ...

Fewer guns and more bibles, when you have religion in your life you will say no to guns - Sanka
sanka

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:52 am

sanka wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:I don't understand. All he did was own a gun in his home, which is perfectly legal.

America and gun crazy culture....just the other day, a Cleveland madman shot a 74 yr old innocent man dead then took his own life like the bitch that he was...he should have tried that in east Cleveland. Then another madman in Fresno killing 3 people....this is what happens when you make it easy to access guns. ...

Fewer guns and more bibles, when you have religion in your life you will say no to guns - Sanka

The basic is strong with this one.
Brazen331

Postby MJW » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:36 am

Brazen331 wrote:
sanka wrote:

The basic is strong with this one.

Everything Sanka writes is like a 5th grader pretending to read from a homework assignment he forgot to do.
MJW

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:48 am

sanka wrote:

Tell that to Venezuela.
theBKwhopper

Postby Teitan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:03 am

sanka wrote:

Teitan

Postby Swashy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:49 am

sanka wrote:

Sanka my father in law had a 12 gauge shotgun and a pistol that he kept loaded at his house. He'd never have wanted us to say it but due to his health he would have been an easy target. He was very hard of hearing so robbing him in his sleep wouldn't have been too tough. He knew it and that's why he had the guns that he knew how to shoot and a had big ass pit bull. At no point did his guns ever harm anyone. Not my little girl, not his friends, not the animals. No one. It never came to that because he lived in a safe community and he was a responsible gun owner. Simply put: those issues are people problem. Not a gun problem. Those guns that killed people in Cleveland and Fresno didn't suddenly develop a conscious and say, "I'm gonna go kill someone" until the person who wielded them made that decision. Make no mistake... you are absolutely correct Sanka: guns are a VERY serious problem. But the root of the matter is that when people wish to do harm, guns are just something easy you can use. Those who wish to do harm will find other ways to do harm with or without guns on the street.

Take away the guns and nothing is stopping them from saying "You know what? I'll just burn down this building" and we all know the solution isn't to outlaw matches.
Swashy

Postby .irishHITMAN4rent » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:19 am

.irishHITMAN4rent

Postby NYBF » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:23 am

.irishHITMAN4rent wrote:Image

This is ****ing savage. Well done.
NYBF

Postby NYBF » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:24 am

Swashy wrote:Take away the guns and nothing is stopping them from saying "You know what? I'll just burn down this building" and we all know the solution isn't to outlaw matches.

Yeah, look at all the buildings burning down in Australia.
NYBF

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:15 pm

81mm Shake and Bake

Postby obsolete » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:55 pm

He died the way he lived, hanging around a bunch of convicts.
obsolete

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:04 pm

81mm Shake and Bake wrote:Image

Brutal
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Doctor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:20 pm

So apparently the word is that because of his death mid appeal his convictions are reversed. Having not committed a crime apparently the Patriots are still on the hook to honor their contract, meaning the Pats could be paying out some $3.25-5.75M to his family. So even if he died penniless, his death still ends up leaving his family money. Now, just how the victims families will be able to sue for some of that left over contract is also in question. Without the federal guilty charge the civil case would have to be done anew (it is usually not needed after a criminal guilty verdict), which also means all the witnesses would have to appear again and they may not choose to do so as their testimony this time would likely not come with immunity. It's tricky. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.
Doctor

Postby mightyleemoon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:24 pm

mightyleemoon

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:25 pm

Doctor wrote:So apparently the word is that because of his death mid appeal his convictions are reversed. Having not committed a crime apparently the Patriots are still on the hook to honor their contract, meaning the Pats could be paying out some $3.25-5.75M to his family. So even if he died penniless, his death still ends up leaving his family money. Now, just how the victims families will be able to sue for some of that left over contract is also in question. Without the federal guilty charge the civil case would have to be done anew (it is usually not needed after a criminal guilty verdict), which also means all the witnesses would have to appear again and they may not choose to do so as their testimony this time would likely not come with immunity. It's tricky. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

I couldn't find one source confirming this. It's something the lawyers are going to try to get, but they aren't on the hook just yet.
uscbucsfan

Postby Deja Entendu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 pm

Doctor wrote:So apparently the word is that because of his death mid appeal his convictions are reversed. Having not committed a crime apparently the Patriots are still on the hook to honor their contract, meaning the Pats could be paying out some $3.25-5.75M to his family. So even if he died penniless, his death still ends up leaving his family money. Now, just how the victims families will be able to sue for some of that left over contract is also in question. Without the federal guilty charge the civil case would have to be done anew (it is usually not needed after a criminal guilty verdict), which also means all the witnesses would have to appear again and they may not choose to do so as their testimony this time would likely not come with immunity. It's tricky. It will be interesting to see how all this plays out.

They may attempt it, but it'll be highly unlikely they succeed... and would probably just result in milking more money from his estate.

This article addresses that speculation. Also, apparently, whomever his beneficiary was can collect his NFL pension.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.boston ... M/amp.html
Deja Entendu

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 am

sanka wrote:

I'm a little late, but...

Wooosh!

Mountaineer Buc

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions