Bucs on Hard Knocks 2017

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs on Hard Knocks 2017

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:53 pm

bucfanclw wrote:HBO Now also has a free one-month trial deal.

I usually am only subscribed to HBO during Games of Thrones.
Brazen331

Postby terrytate » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:51 am

We were the obvious choice really. We have a dynamic central figure in Winston, a lot of talent on the rise and a beautiful central Florida location.

I can't wait to watch.
terrytate

Postby Brazen331 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:48 am

Corsair wrote:
Brazen331 wrote:Not all that surprising as there will be some interesting story lines. Winston of course, the kicking competition, the arrival of DJax, the development of Kwon. Now imagine if we take a RB high for the whole DM drug suspension story. I imagine HBO is pulling for McCaffrey to get drafted. That would be ratings gold.

Watch us draft Mixon...

I'm currently of the opinion that if Mixon was not off our draft board yet this might well erase his name off it. Don't forget that the team would love the public to forget about Winston's past and adding Mixon to the mix could well ensure that a violence against women theme could be prominent in this edition of the show.

I'd rather you be right though as he would be a great selection at 50 from a football perspective and I would rather his name remain on the board.
Brazen331

Postby Caradoc » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:36 am

From the comments we've heard over the last several weeks, both the players and coaches seem to actively want this. I've not watched other seasons of it, so I'm not sure if other teams have had the same attitude. But I do like the vibe from the team regarding this.
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:06 am

VT you didn't even explain how this hurts.
Bootz2004

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:07 am

It hurts because it can't help us on the field. Like I said, not that big of a deal. But every cause has an effect. Every action has a reaction. Since I can't think of anything it can do to help us win games, I chalk it up as a slight negative.
VauntedTampa2

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:11 am

I guess my dumbass candy reference didn't work.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:14 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:It hurts because it can't help us on the field. Like I said, not that big of a deal. But every cause has an effect. Every action has a reaction. Since I can't think of anything it can do to help us win games, I chalk it up as a slight negative.

Signing autographs for fans and teams making charity visits to children's hospitals don't help on the field either. So I assume you believe they hurt, right?
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:It hurts because it can't help us on the field. Like I said, not that big of a deal. But every cause has an effect. Every action has a reaction. Since I can't think of anything it can do to help us win games, I chalk it up as a slight negative.

That has to be one of the most pessimistic outlooks on...anything that I've seen. Damn.
PrimeMinister

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:19 am

No it didn't. So you're saying it hurts because it doesn't help? That's sound logic..

This show isn't some major distraction to players. Most of the footage is from cameras that are placed up on the walls. They usually single out a camp body to focus on, a vet to focus on, and an entertaining guy to focus on and they'll maybe interview them at home of follow them a little more.

People read way to much into this 'distraction' thing. These guys play football in front of thousands of people. A camera crew quietly filming them isn't going to disrupt them. If you don't want distractions you should also ban local and national media, and the open fan practices.
Teitan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:20 am

Teitan wrote:No it didn't. So you're saying it hurts because it doesn't help? That's sound logic..

This show isn't some major distraction to players. Most of the footage is from cameras that are placed up on the walls. They usually single out a camp body to focus on, a vet to focus on, and an entertaining guy to focus on and they'll maybe interview them at home of follow them a little more.

People read way to much into this 'distraction' thing. These guys play football in front of thousands of people. A camera crew quietly filming them isn't going to disrupt them. If you don't want distractions you should also ban local and national media, and the open fan practices.

And ban television cameras on Sunday as well because they don't help win the game.
PrimeMinister

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:25 am

Brazen331 wrote:
bucfanclw wrote:HBO Now also has a free one-month trial deal.

I usually am only subscribed to HBO during Games of Thrones.

I just remembered that my daughter borrows HBO GO or NOW (can't remember which) from a friend of hers so we can watch GoT. If it works for Hard Knocks, then I should be good to go.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:29 am

I agree the 'distraction' part is overplayed by fans/media.

The fact is NFL players are faced with tons of potential distractions every day. Most are very minor (like Hardknocks), a few can be major. But NOT allowing themselves to lose focus by a distraction is where being a professional comes from. Losers use distractions as an excuse.

A wise man once told me 'Never worry about things you can't control' and this fits that description. Let's roll with it and focus on the positive aspects of it.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:36 am

DreadNaught wrote:I agree the 'distraction' part is overplayed by fans/media.

The fact is NFL players are faced with tons of potential distractions every day. Most are very minor (like Hardknocks), a few can be major. But NOT allowing themselves to lose focus by a distraction is where being a professional comes from. Losers use distractions as an excuse.

A wise man once told me 'Never worry about things you can't control' and this fits that description. Let's roll with it and focus on the positive aspects of it.

Koetter didn't think it was a distraction and he should know as he was on the show with the Falcons 3 years ago. Jameis said he'd love to be on the show if for no other reason than they can show the world what they can do or something like that.
Bootz2004

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:42 am

How does being on Hard Knocks translate to the football field? How does this help us win games? I get all the publicity stuff, but I don't care about that, I want us to win games and I don't see how this helps us do that. I've seen hard knocks and all of those stupid stories they make players do. "Hey Gerald, we want you in one of our stories; here's what we want you to do." **** that. I want Gerald running extra sprints so he doesn't dissappear in the 4th.

I get it, we are all selfish and want to see our team on tv.

Great for fans, great for owners, great for the NFL. Great for the bucs when it comes to winning games? Idk.

And PM: is eating one skittle before an athletic event going to hurt your chances at winning? Probably not, but it's common sense to know it CANT help, even if it's not much. Everything matters!

This isn't the deal breaker for our season, not by a long shot. I just want our team to maximize every opportunity they have when it comes to winning football games. I'm tired of the constant losing.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Naismith » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:49 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:How does being on Hard Knocks translate to the football field?

I understand what you're saying and agree. It's a negative freeroll. It will be fun for us and good for the team's brand and some player's brands if they care about that.

I did think of one small way it could improve the product on the field, though. It could make the Bucs a more attractive destination for UDFA's that might otherwise have gone elsewhere.
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:53 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:How does being on Hard Knocks translate to the football field? How does this help us win games? I get all the publicity stuff, but I don't care about that, I want us to win games and I don't see how this helps us do that. I've seen hard knocks and all of those stupid stories they make players do. "Hey Gerald, we want you in one of our stories; here's what we want you to do." **** that. I want Gerald running extra sprints so he doesn't dissappear in the 4th.

I get it, we are all selfish and want to see our team on tv.

Great for fans, great for owners, great for the NFL. Great for the bucs when it comes to winning games? Idk.

And PM: is eating one skittle before an athletic event going to hurt your chances at winning? Probably not, but it's common sense to know it CANT help, even if it's not much. Everything matters!

This isn't the deal breaker for our season, not by a long shot. I just want our team to maximize every opportunity they have when it comes to winning football games. I'm tired of the constant losing.

How does signing autographs & visiting children in hospitals help on the football field?
Bootz2004

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:55 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Signing autographs for fans and teams making charity visits to children's hospitals don't help on the field either. So I assume you believe they hurt, right?

Sure. Players only have so much time in a day to get better. Cynic but true. However, I think what you listed is much more important than being on a show.

Like DN said, control what you can control. Let the hard knocks roll. Agree to disagree.
VauntedTampa2

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:58 am

Naismith wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:How does being on Hard Knocks translate to the football field?

I understand what you're saying and agree. It's a negative freeroll. It will be fun for us and good for the team's brand and some player's brands if they care about that.

I did think of one small way it could improve the product on the field, though. It could make the Bucs a more attractive destination for UDFA's that might otherwise have gone elsewhere.

I never thought of this. Good point.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:12 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Sure. Players only have so much time in a day to get better. Cynic but true. However, I think what you listed is much more important than being on a show.

Like DN said, control what you can control. Let the hard knocks roll. Agree to disagree.

Who cares about importance. Your words were exactly "IF IT DOESN'T HELP IT HURTS". So you believe those things hurt, correct?
Bootz2004

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 am

Do you read? I answered your question, kiddo.
VauntedTampa2

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:Do you read? I answered your question, kiddo.

Would you prefer the games aren't shown on TV or recorded?
PrimeMinister

Postby DreadNaught » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:43 am

There seems to be some misnomers about Hardknocks.

The team has final say on all content published and meets with the producers of the show prior to TC to review the storylines/players covered. So nobody should be worried about anything too negative regarding Winston (or Mixon should we draft him). At most there will be a mention of whatever alleged incident from college and then the player interviewed with a positive spin. I doubt it would even be that much though.

Hardknocks is not permitted to interact with the players/staff during any practice or game, all footage other than interviews is done passively. So unless you're being interviewed it really is just 'extra cameras' around the facility.

We're all fans here, and most are pretty excited about this team. Let's enjoy the exposure of seeing our Bucs on Hardknocks.
DreadNaught

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:51 am

PrimeMinister wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:Do you read? I answered your question, kiddo.

I prefer games to be live on TV. Even the high school I coach live stream games.

Good info, Dread.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Teitan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:56 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:How does being on Hard Knocks translate to the football field? How does this help us win games?

One has nothing to do with the other. Just like the pool tables and video game room in One Buc Place doesn't help them on the field. They are human beings, not football robots.
Teitan

Postby PrimeMinister » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I prefer games to be live on TV. Even the high school I coach live stream games.

Good info, Dread.

Showing the game live does not help the team win. How do you reconcile that with your desire to remove anything that doesn't contribute to wins?
PrimeMinister

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:34 am

You guys are right. If you apply the analogy to everything in life, then yes, it sounds ridiculous.

I realize the impact will be minimal.

As a coach, my gripe is even if SINGLE (thanks alp) player thinks about the show for even 3 seconds during practice, it's 3 seconds taken away from getting better. Stuff like that adds up. Getting better in practice translates to wins on the field.

Again, I've taken in everything you guys have said, and it all makes sense. I think we will be fine. Can't wait to watch the show.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Cheb » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:36 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:You guys are right. If you apply the analogy to everything in life, then yes, it sounds ridiculous.

As a coach, my gripe is even if SINGLE (thanks alp) player thinks about the show for even 3 seconds during practice, it's 3 seconds taken away from getting better. Stuff like that adds up. Getting better in practice translates to wins on the field.

Again, I've taken in everything you guys have said, and it all makes sense. I think we will be fine. Can't wait to watch the show.

If I am on the field coaching and I spend five seconds thinking about a funny joke my wife made yesterday, does that mean I should regret having married her?
Cheb

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:41 am

Nope
VauntedTampa2

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Cheb wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:You guys are right. If you apply the analogy to everything in life, then yes, it sounds ridiculous.

If I am on the field coaching and I spend five seconds thinking about a funny joke my wife made yesterday, does that mean I should regret having married her?

Um. Yeah.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions