Bucs on Hard Knocks 2017

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs on Hard Knocks 2017

Postby Caradoc » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:43 am

Doctor wrote:Bet you he's really hopes that Joe Dirt nickname doesn't stick... to be fair, he doesn't look anything like Joe Dirt.

It actually isn't bad as far as nicknames go. It's actually a benefit in a way, if he ends up bouncing around, people are more likely to remember him (especially with what seems like good press from HK).
Caradoc

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:51 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Swashy wrote:Man.... take this beer discussion to an alcohol thread unless we're gonna include bacon. You don't play football without a QB and you don't talk about food without the inclusion of bacon here. I can't believe we've been a community THIS long and we don't know the ground rules yet. If I were to say "you people" right now I'd be using that term loosely. You're not people. You're freaking unrefined, lawless savages without an ounce of respect for bacon.

Savages!

Bacon is the bud light of food.

Except bacon is actually good and bud light is beer flavored water.
LoRdNlKoN

Postby Heidguy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:59 am

Mildly surprised nobody has mentioned that half the team/staff are Game of Thrones fans when they were all talking about it at the very end of the episode. They're just normal ppl lime us...

Plus millions of dollars in most of there accounts, but hey minor details. They're just like us lol
Heidguy

Postby bucfanclw » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:05 am

Patrick McIrish wrote:It's simple, when you WIN it all falls into place. That's the key, not how many goobers watch HBO for football.

We move on.........

Yep, that's why the N.Y. Giants, coming off back to back 6-10 seasons, got 2 MNF games last year... because of wins.

It's like you're willfully ignorant to the fact that the NFL is a business and that they understand that more viewers means more money.
bucfanclw

Postby Swashy » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:37 am

Heidguy wrote:Mildly surprised nobody has mentioned that half the team/staff are Game of Thrones fans when they were all talking about it at the very end of the episode. They're just normal ppl lime us...

Plus millions of dollars in most of there accounts, but hey minor details. They're just like us lol

Lol I liked that touch. See, I have never watched Hard Knocks a day in my life and I don't know if the quality of the Bucs premier broadcast was because they embraced it so much, because the members of the Bucs carry themselves the way they do, if Hard Knocks is always this good or if I'm just getting the feelies because it's MY team. To see GoT at the end like that was almost like that sweetness you taste when eating a Sour Patch Kids candy because they went from superman swag athletes and literally in 20 seconds they were leveled down the same Joe Schmo we talk to at work about Thrones meeting up at the coffee machine. It was so satisfying to see them gossip like that because it's sort of like, "Hey that's what we do at work!!"

It truly captured the human element and I gotta say, Heid I haven't been THAT proud to be a Bucs fan as I was at the end of that episode since probably winter of 2005.
Swashy

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:51 am

Agent Orange wrote:I enjoyed it. It got me even more fired up for the season. My favorite parts were the talk with Evans and Jackson and Joe Dirt.

Damn. I woulda bet that the McCoy segment would be your favorite part.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:00 am

Swashy wrote:
Heidguy wrote:Mildly surprised nobody has mentioned that half the team/staff are Game of Thrones fans when they were all talking about it at the very end of the episode. They're just normal ppl lime us...

Lol I liked that touch. See, I have never watched Hard Knocks a day in my life and I don't know if the quality of the Bucs premier broadcast was because they embraced it so much, because the members of the Bucs carry themselves the way they do, if Hard Knocks is always this good or if I'm just getting the feelies because it's MY team. To see GoT at the end like that was almost like that sweetness you taste when eating a Sour Patch Kids candy because they went from superman swag athletes and literally in 20 seconds they were leveled down the same Joe Schmo we talk to at work about Thrones meeting up at the coffee machine. It was so satisfying to see them gossip like that because it's sort of like, "Hey that's what we do at work!!"

It truly captured the human element and I gotta say, Heid I haven't been THAT proud to be a Bucs fan as I was at the end of that episode since probably winter of 2005.

See when I heard the GoT references, my first thought was: look at HBO turning the Bucs into shills and force feeding their product placement.

I never got into GoT though, so maybe it made it easier for me to see it for what it was... as cynical as that may be.
Deja Entendu

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:08 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
Swashy wrote:

See when I heard the GoT references, my first thought was: look at HBO turning the Bucs into shills and force feeding their product placement.

I never got into GoT though, so maybe it made it easier for me to see it for what it was... as cynical as that may be.

Bro. you need to get into GoT. It's like that. I drive Uber occasionally, and on saturdays or sundays, I get people all the time coming in talking about "and we got 'Thrones coming up tonight!!!" then we talk about it for the ride. Everybody's talking about it. My 55 year old boss comes in on Mondays and talks to me about it. It's probably the best media out there IMO - my favorite of all time. I don't do TV, but I love me some Game of Thrones. people talking about it, like our Bucs, is not some shill act (believe me, my shill radar is fuckin active), it's the real deal, people talk about it because its phenomenal
beardmcdoug

Postby Babeinbucland » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:53 am

bucfanclw wrote:
Patrick McIrish wrote:It's simple, when you WIN it all falls into place. That's the key, not how many goobers watch HBO for football.

We move on.........

It's like you're willfully ignorant ...

The 'willfully' was giving him too much credit
Babeinbucland

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:53 am

LoRdNlKoN wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Bacon is the bud light of food.

Also bacon will actually kill you.
real bucs fan

Postby Super K » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:59 am

real bucs fan wrote:
LoRdNlKoN wrote:

So will Isis...are you saying bacon is Isis?

FAKE NEWS!!
Super K

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:17 am

Caradoc wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:
The cake is NSFW...google it.

Everyone knows the cake is a lie.

Cake was very real , dare you to tell miko it was a lie
https://www.google.com/amp/deadspin.com ... 303602/amp
Jason Bourne

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:22 am

Jason Bourne wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

ahahahahahah holy **** that woman
beardmcdoug

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:25 am

Super K wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

So will Isis...are you saying bacon is Isis?

FAKE NEWS!!

If you switch the letters around, bacon spells Naboc which sounds like a terrorists name to me.
real bucs fan

Postby Buc2 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:37 am

Naboc sounds more like something GORT would say.

Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:50 am

Tonight should be interesting. Really looking forward to seeing how they handled Aguayo getting cut. I doubt it'll be groundbreaking TV. Probably just your typical, "We're going in a different direction. You just weren't getting the job done." type of scene. But, still, I'm looking forward to seeing that unfold.

Curious who else they'll feature. Wonder how much of Grimes' injury they'll show.
pewterpirates

Postby Hit55 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:09 am

pewterpirates wrote:Tonight should be interesting. Really looking forward to seeing how they handled Aguayo getting cut. I doubt it'll be groundbreaking TV. Probably just your typical, "We're going in a different direction. You just weren't getting the job done." type of scene. But, still, I'm looking forward to seeing that unfold.

Curious who else they'll feature. Wonder how much of Grimes' injury they'll show.

I'm not entirely sure they show that tonight. That might be a next week's episode thing. They will already be showing a lot of the girlfriends/wives and will have a preseason game to cover on tonight's episode.

Then again, I'm not sure how quick their turnaround is from getting the film - to editing - to putting out a final product. We just might get something out of it. Aguayo was signing autographs during the last open practice and the Hard Knocks crew sure enough, set up right in front of me to film down towards him as he was interacting with fans. It'll be interesting to hear what was being said and what he was saying back that day.

On the Grimes injury, it didn't look like, when it happened, that the crew got up close and personal when Brent went down. As far as I remember, everyone sort of began distancing themselves from it right away. Behind the scenes though, will probably get covered.
Hit55

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:26 am

pewterpirates wrote:Tonight should be interesting. Really looking forward to seeing how they handled Aguayo getting cut. I doubt it'll be groundbreaking TV. Probably just your typical, "We're going in a different direction. You just weren't getting the job done." type of scene. But, still, I'm looking forward to seeing that unfold.

Being HBO, I'd assume...

IchabodCrane84

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:23 pm

IchabodCrane84 wrote:

Being HBO, I'd assume...

Omg that was far funnier than it should have been.
PrimeMinister

Postby Noles1724 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Noles1724

Postby Hit55 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:56 pm

Noles1724 wrote:

This will be a good episode.
Hit55

Postby Swashy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:16 pm

Without seeing any previews I'd have to guess Koetter is gonna black and white the **** out of the Aguayo situation and not mince any words at all. Something like "Good morning. Have a seat. I think we both know why I called you in here. I hate to do this but it's time to move on. We had high expectations of you after the offseason and we're not seeing the improvement we wanted from you. Two misses in the last game shows us you're not getting the job done and that there's still something wrong. I hope maybe one day you figure out what that is. I wish you all the best going forward." He'll firmly shake Aguayo's hand and sincerely say, "Robbie I'm sorry it had to come to this but it's what's best for everywhere now. Good luck."
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Is that Jason Licht in the office with Koetter too? ***damn man that's a special distinction and not in any kind of good way to have your GM in the room too when getting cut.

Edit: I gotta say I was far less than happy about the Aguayo pick but I have to give Licht credit in that as soon as he knows he's fucked up he fixes it and doesn't go down with the ship and I gotta give him credit for eating crow like that in public
Last edited by Swashy on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swashy

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:26 pm

Swashy wrote:Is that Jason Licht in the office with Koetter too? ***damn man that's a special distinction and not in any kind of good way to have your GM in the room too when getting cut

You got to rub their nose in it to train them not to **** in the house.
PrimeMinister

Postby Swashy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:49 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Swashy wrote:Is that Jason Licht in the office with Koetter too? ***damn man that's a special distinction and not in any kind of good way to have your GM in the room too when getting cut[/quote]

You got to rub their nose in it to train them not to **** in the house.

I'm not so sure that lesson wasn't as much for Licht as it was for Aguayo.

I mean kickers get cut all the time so it's not exactly like Licht had to be there. Either he's like the single nicest guy in the world or he's the type of person who gets his hands dirty when he knows he fucked up BIG TIME. There's a few unspoken understandings between men and I think his being there to see the whole thing through is one of those ways of owning up to a coach in Koetter even though he's the boss. I mean I wasn't in the war room on draft day but I'm fairly certain that the decision to draft Aguayo came with Koetter being sold on Licht's judgment instead of going with a position player
Swashy

Postby PrimeMinister » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:02 pm

Swashy wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

I mean kickers get cut all the time so it's not exactly like Licht had to be there. Either he's like the single nicest guy in the world or he's the type of person who gets his hands dirty when he knows he fucked up BIG TIME. There's a few unspoken understandings between men and I think his being there to see the whole thing through is one of those ways of owning up to a coach in Koetter even though he's the boss. I mean I wasn't in the war room on draft day but I'm fairly certain that the decision to draft Aguayo came with Koetter being sold on Licht's judgment instead of going with a position player

That was my point. The lesson was for Licht.

Edit: Btw I saw it reported that the decision to draft Aguayo was ok the owners. They pushed for him.
PrimeMinister

Postby Caradoc » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:23 pm

Jason Bourne wrote:
Caradoc wrote:

you missed it then
Caradoc

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:26 pm

Hit55 wrote:Then again, I'm not sure how quick their turnaround is from getting the film - to editing - to putting out a final product.

I recall hearing either last year or the year before, the HBO crew sometimes works on that week's episode just a couple of hours before it airs. Not sure if they're pushing the deadline that late this year, but I know for sure that's what I read/heard a couple years ago, because I was curious on the turnaround.
pewterpirates

Postby Swashy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
Swashy wrote:

That was my point. The lesson was for Licht.

Edit: Btw I saw it reported that the decision to draft Aguayo was ok the owners. They pushed for him.

Fair enough across all points. That makes the whole thing make sense. On a non-Aguayo related note I'm glad to see how hands on Licht is. He's hands on but he does not appear to be the meddling type. But rather the kind of person who sits back and BS's about life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness and GoT. Then once the action kicks off he casually picks the brain of the guy next to him about whatever is going on in a no pressure format like, "Hargreaves is looking more comfortable" and it turns into a small chat about his progress and what areas can be immediately utilized vs what still needs work with the coaching staff in the most laid back manner possible. I know GM's are supposed to do this but it's nice to see such a casual and trusting approach despite the fact we're going into this year with massive expectations.

It's stuff like that which gets everyone on the same page immediately and if there's any one thing I notice from the first episode of Hard Knocks it's that everyone seemed to be on the same page and everything was incredibly organized. It all starts at the top
Swashy

Postby Cheb » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 pm

GMs are often in the room when a player gets cut. It is not unusual at all.
Cheb

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions