Who do you think will have a breakout year?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Who do you think will have a breakout year?

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:18 pm

Doing this pre-draft to avoid any rookie hype. Who do you think is going to have a breakout year? I imagine Tandy and Spence will be the obvious picks by most. Tandy showed up big in his PT last year and I can't wait to see him getting full-time work. Spence also looked very nice at times, hopefully, he'll be better with another offseason and being fully healthy. But how about some others that maybe no one is really looking at? Who would you hitch your wagon to?

Think maybe we don't draft a RB and Sims or Quizz show up they steal the show and the starting job from Martin in the first month?
Think Jaq Smith comes back and reminds everyone why people were hyping him up two years ago?
Think maybe D. Smith takes the next step and becomes a dominant LT?
Think Brate proves all these "we need to upgrade at TE" haters wrong and puts up even BETTER numbers than last year?

For me, I'm liking Ryan Smith. Drafted him to do some returns and were moving him to safety, but we moved him back to CB. That's impressive, imo, because that CB/S transition is almost always a one-way road. Even a guy as talented as our (should've been SB MVP) Dwight Smith couldn't become a CB again, no matter how badly he wanted to. Ryan Smith seems to have shown the coaches a lot in practice last season, earning him praise for the way he covered Mike Evans. I think he could end up our very own Chris Harris Jr. Obviously, way too early to make such a ridiculous comparison, but a guy can hope.
Doctor

Re: Who do you think will have a breakout year?

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:29 pm

I think we've seen all we'll get out of Sims and Quizz.

Tandy is the obvious choice, Spence a close second as you noted. I wouldn't sleep on Hargreaves either, I think he makes a big jump this year.

I think Smith will continue to improve, and people will still blame him for every time Jameis gets hit whether it's his fault or not.

I think that the biggest improvement though will not be an individual, but a unit. The OL will look a lot better without the Pamphile-Hawley middle combo. With Marpet at C and Sweezy at LG (which is still most likely) the left half of the line should be solid as heck. I worry about the RG and the potential continued regression of Dotson, but I think there is talent in the depth there and we may see surprising names starting on opening day at those spots.
Caradoc

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Jameis Winston
Bootz2004

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 pm

My dark horse breakout would be Peyton Barber. I thought he got better throughout the season. I could see him moving in front of Quizz with strong offseason progression. He has the tools. If the franchise is confident in Doug's return, or whatever reason we go running back late or UDFA, Peyton could go into week 1 as the "feature back". I don't think it's likely Peyton Barber is a 1000 yard rusher next season, but crazier things have happened.
threadkiller

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:51 pm

threadkiller wrote:My dark horse breakout would be Peyton Barber. I thought he got better throughout the season. I could see him moving in front of Quizz with strong offseason progression. He has the tools. If the franchise is confident in Doug's return, or whatever reason we go running back late or UDFA, Peyton could go into week 1 as the "feature back". I don't think it's likely Peyton Barber is a 1000 yard rusher next season, but crazier things have happened.

I like it, Earnest Graham line 1.

Bootz2004 wrote:Jameis Winston

Well since you decided to go for the low hanging fruit, define "breakout" for Winstons case. The guy already have two 4000 yards seasons so are you predicting 5000? 40 TDs? What's the standard that you are using to mark this as a breakout as oppose to just an improvement?
Doctor

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Doctor wrote:
threadkiller wrote:My dark horse breakout would be Peyton Barber. I thought he got better throughout the season. I could see him moving in front of Quizz with strong offseason progression. He has the tools. If the franchise is confident in Doug's return, or whatever reason we go running back late or UDFA, Peyton could go into week 1 as the "feature back". I don't think it's likely Peyton Barber is a 1000 yard rusher next season, but crazier things have happened.

I like it, Earnest Graham line 1.

Bootz2004 wrote:Jameis Winston

Well since you decided to go for the low hanging fruit, define "breakout" for Winstons case. The guy already have two 4000 yards seasons so are you predicting 5000? 40 TDs? What's the standard that you are using to mark this as a breakout as oppose to just an improvement?

Breakout as in he's a legitimate MVP candidate. Winning games and putting up big numbers. 4,000+ again, but this time 30+ TDs, fewer than 16 picks, complete 63-64% of his passes, etc.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:07 am

Noah Spence. I'm calling double digit sacks if he's healthy for 16.
real bucs fan

Postby terrytate » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:36 am

Caradoc wrote:I think we've seen all we'll get out of Sims and Quizz.

Tandy is the obvious choice, Spence a close second as you noted. I wouldn't sleep on Hargreaves either, I think he makes a big jump this year.

I think Smith will continue to improve, and people will still blame him for every time Jameis gets hit whether it's his fault or not.

I think that the biggest improvement though will not be an individual, but a unit. The OL will look a lot better without the Pamphile-Hawley middle combo. With Marpet at C and Sweezy at LG (which is still most likely) the left half of the line should be solid as heck. I worry about the RG and the potential continued regression of Dotson, but I think there is talent in the depth there and we may see surprising names starting on opening day at those spots.

Why do you think Marpet is going to be at C this year. So far as I know, there has been no announcement of such a thing AND we did just resign Hawley. Otherwise I agree with your point, a straight swap of Pamphile for Sweezy ought to be a serious upgrade for our run blocking.

While we are on the subject, I am going to go with Marpet. With the arrival of Desean Jackson and the near certainty of at least one more weapon coming via draft, our running game is going to see a lot more men in the box. Marpet is going to be lead blocking for what should be a very solid running attack and with Winston on the team, people will notice what he's doing.

I'd also love to see Tandy make a Pro Bowl, dudes been plugging away and working hard for years. He's been everything you could ask of a late round guy (short of being Tom Brady). It would be a great story to see a guy like him get his time in the sun.
terrytate

Postby sanka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:50 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Doctor wrote:I like it, Earnest Graham line 1.

Breakout as in he's a legitimate MVP candidate. Winning games and putting up big numbers. 4,000+ again, but this time 30+ TDs, fewer than 16 picks, complete 63-64% of his passes, etc.

Everything you said was correct until you mentioned 30+ TDs...He now has a legitimate deep threat WR...his numbers will be inflated tremendously like Trump the clown will say

Look for Evans to have a career year with 17TDs
DJax will haul in 10TDs
Brate another solid year with 10Tds
Hump will get 5 on it
Rbs and scrubs will share the rest of scraps with 5tds

Yep that is 47 TD passes... :mrgreen:
sanka

Postby Brazen331 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:57 am

sanka wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Everything you said was correct until you mentioned 30+ TDs...He now has a legitimate deep threat WR...his numbers will be inflated tremendously like Trump the clown will say

Look for Evans to have a career year with 17TDs
DJax will haul in 10TDs
Brate another solid year with 10Tds
Hump will get 5 on it
Rbs and scrubs will share the rest of scraps with 5tds

Yep that is 47 TD passes... :mrgreen:

The casualness is strong with this one.

Don't forget to edit this after the draft, Sanka. If say we draft Njoku in the 1st and Godwin in the 2nd, Winston might throw 70+ TD passes.
Brazen331

Postby Super K » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:35 am

Caradoc wrote:

"IF" we move Marpet to C, Sweezy will be pegged in at RG..Pamphile would stay at LG..

Back to the OP's question: I see Spence really tearing **** up.. Especially after another offseason of NFL work...I think he'll break our jinx this year..

Offensively, I agree with Bootz AND concur with Bootz's realistic metric predictions..

Sanka??.. SMDH..
Super K

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 am

I'll go out on a limb with Kwon Alexander. Kid is hungry and has talked nothing else but being great since he got here.

145 tackles, 3 sacks, a Forced Fumble and a pick 6 last season.

He will up his tackle numbers and contend for best in the league (4th best last year). Improved D-line play will enable him to go hunting for RB's on 1st and second down forcing 3rd and long to shut down drives and enable him to blitz the QB more.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 am

Noah Spence will hit double digit sacks
Ryan Smith will play alot. He'll be the RCB in nickel situation w/ VH3 in the slot.
DreadNaught

Postby Buc You » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:43 am

terrytate wrote:Why do you think Marpet is going to be at C this year. So far as I know, there has been no announcement of such a thing AND we did just resign Hawley. Otherwise I agree with your point, a straight swap of Pamphile for Sweezy ought to be a serious upgrade for our run blocking.

Not set in stone, but he will be starting OTAs and offseason program at Center per Dirk....

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs ... er/2318391
Buc You

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:54 am

DreadNaught wrote:Noah Spence will hit double digit sacks
Ryan Smith will play alot. He'll be the RCB in nickel situation w/ VH3 in the slot.

I was tempted to pick him too, and yes, looks like he will play alot (unless we take a CB very early come draft who beats him out). Was very surprised we didn't add a veteran #3 CB in FA, but the only logic for not doing that has to be that the team is alot higher on Ryan Smith than we believe. Obviously he didn't play much on Sundays last year, and his college tape is a bit difficult to process so we as fans don't have much to go on, but Koetter has spoken highly of him and has said he's been great in practice so perhaps he's the guy who eventually replaces Grimes for us.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:00 am

Buc You wrote:
terrytate wrote:Why do you think Marpet is going to be at C this year. So far as I know, there has been no announcement of such a thing AND we did just resign Hawley. Otherwise I agree with your point, a straight swap of Pamphile for Sweezy ought to be a serious upgrade for our run blocking.

Not set in stone, but he will be starting OTAs and offseason program at Center per Dirk....

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bucs/bucs ... er/2318391

I don't think any of the interior 3 O-line spots are set in stone right now. I think it's safe to say that Marpet will be a starter at either C to RG. As much as 'I love Lamp', I don't think we are drafting an interior O-linemen unless it's a late round developmental guy.

I think the preference of from the staff with Marpet getting first crack at Center is that Sweezy can stay at his normal RG position where he played all 4 years in Seattle, and Pamphile can stay at LG where he played last year. I agree the downside is moving Marpet from RG where he has played well. But the Center position on this roster is ****ing weak AF!! Hawley and Evan Smith suck. The arguments I read/hear for either are just sad.

We play in a division with some tough DTs and we MUST get better bigger, stronger, and more athletic along the interior O-line. Imho Marpet at Center and Sweezy at RG is much better than any combination w/ ****ing miniature Joe Hawley or a marginal player like Evan Smith.
DreadNaught

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:08 am

real bucs fan wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:Noah Spence will hit double digit sacks

I was tempted to pick him too, and yes, looks like he will play alot (unless we take a CB very early come draft who beats him out). Was very surprised we didn't add a veteran #3 CB in FA, but the only logic for not doing that has to be that the team is alot higher on Ryan Smith than we believe. Obviously he didn't play much on Sundays last year, and his college tape is a bit difficult to process so we as fans don't have much to go on, but Koetter has spoken highly of him and has said he's been great in practice so perhaps he's the guy who eventually replaces Grimes for us.

There has been rumblings from more than just Dirk about the expectations inside of OBP for Ryan Smith this year. We'll see...

I liked what I saw when I went back and looked at him after we drafted him last season, as well as the work he did on preseason. He certainly has the feet/hips of a CB and didn't really look like a Safety to me. He's a sub 4.5 guy so that checks the box for a CB, even if his long/closing speed may not be considered elite.

Anyways, there is alot I like about the kid both on and off the field. So I'm hoping I'm right on this one.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:20 am

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

There has been rumblings from more than just Dirk about the expectations inside of OBP for Ryan Smith this year. We'll see...

I liked what I saw when I went back and looked at him after we drafted him last season, as well as the work he did on preseason. He certainly has the feet/hips of a CB and didn't really look like a Safety to me. He's a sub 4.5 guy so that checks the box for a CB, even if his long/closing speed may not be considered elite.

Anyways, there is alot I like about the kid both on and off the field. So I'm hoping I'm right on this one.

I think he's got the speed for sure. Watching his 40, he finished really strong- and I remember Licht saying that they had timed Smith in the 4.3s at his Pro Day. He really must have shown alot for him to be switching back to CB, 1 year removed from NC Central, and the team confident enough to pencil him in as the #3 outside CB in this division. Predraft, he's the guy I'm most curious to see in preseason.
real bucs fan

Postby SIBucsFan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:41 am

I think Hargreaves will show that he could be a great NFL CB this season and play very well. I think any struggles he had this past season will be behind him and he will show his playmaking ability. The hesitancy in his play that was apparent early on faded away as the season progressed with more experience.

Hargreaves played 1,037 defensive snaps last season, second on the team to Lavonte David (1,042). With that much experience already under his belt and no changes in defensive philosophy, I believe a fully confident Hargreaves will be a key member of the 2017 defense. I will guess he comes up with 7 interceptions this season.
SIBucsFan

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:58 am

SIBucsFan wrote:I think Hargreaves will show that he could be a great NFL CB this season and play very well. I think any struggles he had this past season will be behind him and he will show his playmaking ability. The hesitancy in his play that was apparent early on faded away as the season progressed with more experience.

Hargreaves played 1,037 defensive snaps last season, second on the team to Lavonte David (1,042). With that much experience already under his belt and no changes in defensive philosophy, I believe a fully confident Hargreaves will be a key member of the 2017 defense. I will guess he comes up with 7 interceptions this season.

I have full confidence in VH3. All rookie CBs have growing pains and VH3 was among the most targeted CB in the NFL last season. He certainly struggled at times, but he also made plays. I never thought the game was too much for him as a rookie. With experience the game will slow down for him allowing his natural instincts and playmaking ability to show up more often.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:55 am

real bucs fan wrote:

More likely they are higher on a guy that actually got snaps last year, like Elliot or even Robinson.
Caradoc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:15 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
SIBucsFan wrote:I think Hargreaves will show that he could be a great NFL CB this season and play very well. I think any struggles he had this past season will be behind him and he will show his playmaking ability. The hesitancy in his play that was apparent early on faded away as the season progressed with more experience.

I have full confidence in VH3. All rookie CBs have growing pains and VH3 was among the most targeted CB in the NFL last season. He certainly struggled at times, but he also made plays. I never thought the game was too much for him as a rookie. With experience the game will slow down for him allowing his natural instincts and playmaking ability to show up more often.

Agree. VH3 played his ass off. Never showed an ounce of quit. He earned every start he got.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:16 pm

Caradoc wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

More likely they are higher on a guy that actually got snaps last year, like Elliot or even Robinson.

To be fair Smith was a Safety until later in the season when they finally moved him back to CB. But your point is still just as valid. Just saying that had Ryan Smith started off at CB when he was drafted I believe he would've got alot more snaps than he did. Which isn't saying much since he didn't really play other than ST once he returned from injury.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:19 pm

IMO Elliott is exclusively a nickel corner. Robinson is a heck of a STer, but if the idea is for him to be the primary backup at outside CB, we're in trouble.
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:52 pm

Allow me to be that guy and say "The Whole Team"

If we had to play this weekend, I would feel pretty good with our current roster. The draft will only add more talent and depth. We are another year older and wiser, same coaching staffs on both sides of the ball, solid free agents.

While I haven't firmly committed to a prediction yet (waiting for the draft), I think we will make the playoffs, as well as have more games that we win in dominant fashion.

Bring on the season. Go Bucs.
Cheb

Postby terrytate » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:53 pm

Cheb wrote:Allow me to be that guy and say "The Whole Team"

If we had to play this weekend, I would feel pretty good with our current roster. The draft will only add more talent and depth. We are another year older and wiser, same coaching staffs on both sides of the ball, solid free agents.

While I haven't firmly committed to a prediction yet (waiting for the draft), I think we will make the playoffs, as well as have more games that we win in dominant fashion.

Bring on the season. Go Bucs.

That's been my take all along since FA. We have no glaring holes on the team, not like the old days of the Hovan/Haye led DL, or when we had no one in the secondary that would start for other teams, or even the last few years at safety. We can truly just take BPA and ride out. That's a good feeling.
terrytate

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Indeed. Hargreaves hesitate a lot early on last year- heck the whole D did- trying to process Mike Smiths defense. Once it was simplified and he (and the rest of the D) didn't have to think so much on their assignment, they got a lot better. Another year in the system will only make him better. The more familiar and confident he is with every play and assignment the less he has to overthink it all, the more he can play on instinct and play faster. Which is exactly what led him to be our first selection last year.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:23 am

How about Chris Baker? The guy was rock-solid playing in a 3-4, but in our scheme, with him taking on more guards and centers, and getting a bunch of single-teams because of GMC, he could have a Pro Bowl year. He has 10.5 sacks the last two years. It's possible he comes close to that number this year. It really is.
MJW

Postby Jason Bourne » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:41 am

Yeh I think Marpet will be a dominant center for us and I think he wins the job ..

I think John Ross ( or njoku ) will be our ROY
Jason Bourne

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:44 am

MJW wrote:How about Chris Baker? The guy was rock-solid playing in a 3-4, but in our scheme, with him taking on more guards and centers, and getting a bunch of single-teams because of GMC, he could have a Pro Bowl year. He has 10.5 sacks the last two years. It's possible he comes close to that number this year. It really is.

Won't he be replaced by Ayers on obvious passing downs?
real bucs fan

Next

Return to Team Discussions