Which Bucs HC hiring did you despise?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Which Bucs HC hiring did you despise?

Postby Babeinbucland » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:08 pm

I gave them all a chance but hated Shiano the fastest. He just had **** written all over him. Dungy was my favorite, although Sam Wyche personally answered a letter I wrote him
Babeinbucland

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:12 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:It's my nature to buy in when they get hired. I don't believe in being negative when someone hasn't gotten a chance yet. I save the negativity for ten minutes into the season.

Sometimes I'm confused by a hire, but that doesn't stop me from getting behind the guy to start.

The American way: Whatever the government tells you is the truth.

Nothing you just said is applicable in any way to what I'm saying.

I'm saying that a guy gets hired, he's the coach, and only an dishrag makes up his mind the guy sucks and he hates him and hopes he fails before he's coached a down here.

I'm advocating keeping an open mind - the exact opposite of believing whatever you're told.
MJW

Postby threadkiller » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 pm

I wasn't thrilled with Raheem, but I probably liked it more than most from being a KSU fan. He was really good as our DC that season. What inside KSU video I saw showed his energy and positive driving influence in practice. An ability to connect and communicate that great teachers and leaders have. I think if he had a strong ownership/management figure to reign him in and correct him when necessary, he might have become a decent HC. Look at his career post Buc HC compared to the other two guys. Schiano was the only one I really hated from the start. We started hearing of his interpersonal garbage almost as soon as he was hired. He was obviously college from day 1, and that would seem to be confirmed since his firing.
threadkiller

Postby Heisenberg » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 pm

Hated the Morris hire.. And Gruden fire.. He jumped from db coach to HC..and we fired Gruden for him.. Just fuckin stupid.
Heisenberg

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:00 am

Heisenberg wrote:Hated the Morris hire.. And Gruden fire.. He jumped from db coach to HC..and we fired Gruden for him.. Just fuckin stupid.

I never thought we "fired Gruden for Morris" as such. I always took it as, "OBP knew we weren't going anywhere with him, and was weighing it's options about in-house replacements before making the call."

It's easy to remember Gruden and the Lombardi. It's harder to think about the half-decade of consistent mediocrity, the total inability to develop draft picks, the revolving door at QB, and the collapse that ended 2008. I personally had ZERO faith at that point that Gruden could ever get us back to the title, and I doubt I'm in the minority on that.

The fact we followed him up with 3 stiffs in a row doesn't make it a bad decision.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:50 am

MJW wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:Hated the Morris hire.. And Gruden fire.. He jumped from db coach to HC..and we fired Gruden for him.. Just fuckin stupid.

I never thought we "fired Gruden for Morris" as such. I always took it as, "OBP knew we weren't going anywhere with him, and was weighing it's options about in-house replacements before making the call."

It's easy to remember Gruden and the Lombardi. It's harder to think about the half-decade of consistent mediocrity, the total inability to develop draft picks, the revolving door at QB, and the collapse that ended 2008. I personally had ZERO faith at that point that Gruden could ever get us back to the title, and I doubt I'm in the minority on that.

The fact we followed him up with 3 stiffs in a row doesn't make it a bad decision.

So what? Where's the patience? Was the decade after Gruden any better? Was it worth it?

After his great run in the 90's Bill Cowher had a bad run of meh, missing the playoffs four of six years, similar to Gruden. He ended up getting a QB, rebuilding that team, and winning a SB for them.

We had some bad years after the Superbowl, no doubt. Cost we had to pay for that championship. Along with a horrible cap hell McKay put us in (totally worth it), you need to remember the two first rounders we traded away for Keyshawn and then another two first and two seconds for Gruden. I don't care who you are, that's a deadly combination for any front office to work through. But we got through it, we waited it out. And after doing all the hard part what did we do? Fire Gruden.
And who were these picks that Gruden was suppose to develop? We traded a ton away before he got in the door. The ones during his era weren't great either. You had Clayton, who had a good rookie year but went on to do nothing else. Bruce drafted Caddy despite Gruden wanting Rodgers. Bruce kept pushing Simms on Gruden despite Chris not being able to even recite the plays. Caddy was nice, but injuries ended him real quick, not his fault of course but he should've never been the pick. Davin Joseph went on to have a nice career for us. Gaines Adams was a total bust, but you can't really put that on Gruden. Here's another situation where Gruden wanted to trade up for Calvin Johnson, but Bruce thought it cost too much. Talib was also not bad. Lets not forget how Allen got rid of Lynch and Sapp. Granted, Allen was trying to fix the cap but those guys still had some left in the tank. And speaking of tank, Gruden's last year could have had an interesting playoff run had Kiffin not sold the team out to go coach with his son at the end. Not to hate on Kiffin, that guy should never have to buy a beer in Tampa again, but that's not how you transition.

Gruden squeezed great years out of freaking Brian Griese and Jeff Garcia. He got blood from stones. Had Gruden had his way we would have had an era of Rodgers throwing to Calvin Johnson. But we didn't.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:02 am

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:

So what? Where's the patience? Was the decade after Gruden any better? Was it worth it?

After his great run in the 90's Bill Cowher had a bad run of meh, missing the playoffs four of six years, similar to Gruden. He ended up getting a QB, rebuilding that team, and winning a SB for them.

We had some bad years after the Superbowl, no doubt. Cost we had to pay for that championship. Along with a horrible cap hell McKay put us in (totally worth it), you need to remember the two first rounders we traded away for Keyshawn and then another two first and two seconds for Gruden. I don't care who you are, that's a deadly combination for any front office to work through. But we got through it, we waited it out. And after doing all the hard part what did we do? Fire Gruden.
And who were these picks that Gruden was suppose to develop? We traded a ton away before he got in the door. The ones during his era weren't great either. You had Clayton, who had a good rookie year but went on to do nothing else. Bruce drafted Caddy despite Gruden wanting Rodgers. Bruce kept pushing Simms on Gruden despite Chris not being able to even recite the plays. Caddy was nice, but injuries ended him real quick, not his fault of course but he should've never been the pick. Davin Joseph went on to have a nice career for us. Gaines Adams was a total bust, but you can't really put that on Gruden. Here's another situation where Gruden wanted to trade up for Calvin Johnson, but Bruce thought it cost too much. Talib was also not bad. Lets not forget how Allen got rid of Lynch and Sapp. Granted, Allen was trying to fix the cap but those guys still had some left in the tank. And speaking of tank, Gruden's last year could have had an interesting playoff run had Kiffin not sold the team out to go coach with his son at the end. Not to hate on Kiffin, that guy should never have to buy a beer in Tampa again, but that's not how you transition.

Gruden squeezed great years out of freaking Brian Griese and Jeff Garcia. He got blood from stones. Had Gruden had his way we would have had an era of Rodgers throwing to Calvin Johnson. But we didn't.

A few points -

One, Gruden could have ended up like Cowher. He just as easily could have ended up like Jeff Fisher. I didn't have the slightest bit of faith in him by the end of 2008. Did you? Really?

Two, don't confuse, "We hired the wrong replacements" with "We shouldn't have replaced him." Those are two completely unrelated topics. We can all agree that going for it on 4th is a good idea, even if the play turns out to be a bad one, knowwhatimean?

Three, Gruden had plenty of talent to work with. He was here for 5 years after the cost of trading for him had expired. Not only did his draft picks not progress, many of them got WORSE the longer they spent under him. Michael Clayton? Caddy? Alex Smith? Davin Joseph? They regressed. And if you weren't picked in the first few rounds, forget about playing, because Gruden was going to sign someone from the 1996 all star team to take your spot.

Four, I hear a lot of speculation about all the brilliant moves Gruden WOULD have made if it wasn't for those meddling kids! Give me a break. Gruden drove McKay out and hand-picked the next GM. He doesn't get a pass. Shoot, we all already gave him one for all the stupid picks Al Davis made in Oakland. He gets one for McKay's picks AND Allen's picks too? I think not. At some point, the Head Coach should get blamed for picking Caddy over Aaron Rodgers, or Gaines Adams over Adrian Peterson and Patrick Willis, etc.

So, no, I'm sorry. The fact OBP has sucked at finding a head coach doesn't mean that we just should have given Captain 9-7 a lifetime extension.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:20 am

MJW wrote:
Doctor wrote:So what? Where's the patience? Was the decade after Gruden any better? Was it worth it?

A few points -

One, Gruden could have ended up like Cowher. He just as easily could have ended up like Jeff Fisher. I didn't have the slightest bit of faith in him by the end of 2008. Did you? Really?

Two, don't confuse, "We hired the wrong replacements" with "We shouldn't have replaced him." Those are two completely unrelated topics. We can all agree that going for it on 4th is a good idea, even if the play turns out to be a bad one, knowwhatimean?

Three, Gruden had plenty of talent to work with. He was here for 5 years after the cost of trading for him had expired. Not only did his draft picks not progress, many of them got WORSE the longer they spent under him. Michael Clayton? Caddy? Alex Smith? Davin Joseph? They regressed. And if you weren't picked in the first few rounds, forget about playing, because Gruden was going to sign someone from the 1996 all star team to take your spot.

Four, I hear a lot of speculation about all the brilliant moves Gruden WOULD have made if it wasn't for those meddling kids! Give me a break. Gruden drove McKay out and hand-picked the next GM. He doesn't get a pass. Shoot, we all already gave him one for all the stupid picks Al Davis made in Oakland. He gets one for McKay's picks AND Allen's picks too? I think not. At some point, the Head Coach should get blamed for picking Caddy over Aaron Rodgers, or Gaines Adams over Adrian Peterson and Patrick Willis, etc.

So, no, I'm sorry. The fact OBP has sucked at finding a head coach doesn't mean that we just should have given Captain 9-7 a lifetime extension.

Jeff Fisher never won a SB.
Did you really include Caddy in that group? The guy got better in every facet of the game when he was here. The only thing that didn't improve were his knees. What was wrong with Davin Joseph? You throw this regressed word around two easy. There's only one that fits it and it's Clayton. Period.
And yeah, Gruden didn't believe in handing out job on silver platters. If you couldn't beat out a 33 year old you didn't deserve to start. I honestly wish that mentally was around more in today's NFL.

And what crap are you talking about in Oakland? You mean Charles Woodson? That was a nice pick. Mo Collins didn't live up to the pick, but wasn't bad and was better when moved inside. Stichcomb could never stay healthy. Janikowski, well we won't get into kickers again. Are you also forgetting that they went out and actually GOT the QB Gruden told them to get- Rich Gannon, who went on have an amazing stint under Gruden? And what the heck does Gruden have to do with McKays picks? You act like Gruden was given roster control, he wasn't. Not even close. And the fact that the HC should get blamed for picking Caddy over Rodgers just shows how hard you are TRYING here. It's very well known that Gruden wanted Rodgers all the way, heck Rodgers even thought he'd be the pick. Gruden even arranged to have him throw to his idol Jerry Rice. Allen wasn't having it though. And don't give me this casual fan "hand picked GM" bullshit. The most that went down was "Hey Jon, can you work with Bruce" "Yeah, sure I can", and that was it. Anyone who knows anything about Bruce before (or heck even after) knew he was a headstrong rising star in Oakland who wore the Boss hat and called his own shots. And even if you didn't know that about him before, there's no way you can't see that now. Bruce didn't just wake up like this in Washington.
Doctor

Postby Heisenberg » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:11 am

MJW wrote:

I knkw rarah wasn't our 1st choice.. But that Kinda makes it worse.. We fired our sb winning coach with no plan or candidates in place.. And we end up with a young db coach as a HC.. The whole process was embarrassing. I remember the Gardner and Tim Brown days.. But how handled the whole thing was pathetic.
Heisenberg

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:33 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:It's my nature to buy in when they get hired. I don't believe in being negative when someone hasn't gotten a chance yet. I save the negativity for ten minutes into the season.

Sometimes I'm confused by a hire, but that doesn't stop me from getting behind the guy to start.

The American way: Whatever the government tells you is the truth.

No, it's called being a fan with no control over who they hire anyway.... Never understood the people who take the position that someone sucks and then actively cheers for them to suck (to the detriment of the team they are a fan of) so they can win the Internet for the day
Selmon Rules

Postby Swashy » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:08 am

Doctor wrote:
MJW wrote:

You make it sound like we missed out on so much. Your point stands about how much different things would've been if Gruden had control of the draft. It's indisputable.

But you do realize that Rodgers would've been throwing 8 yard sidline passes to Calvin Johnson in that sorry ass dink and dunk West Coast offense that required half a dozen 1st down conversions per TD drive? Nothing about his scheme would've utilized either of those player's best and fullest potential. Gruden rode everyone so hard that Rodgers would have fizzled out by 2009 and then we would've needed a new toy to play with. It had nothing to do with not having the players he wanted or the talent on the field. It had everything to do with the fact that Gruden fancied himself like this mad scientist and every offseason he'd get a wild hair up his ass about changing the formula.

You're right... he could get blood from a stone. But it's a sad state of affairs when Brad ****ing Johnson lasted longer on this team than any other QB that Gruden had. He didn't always have full control of the draft but he had full control of how this team played and everyone we drafted regressed. At this point Doc, it's agree to disagree.

With the way things were going Gruden was gonna run this team into the ground no matter what. He could've survived past 2008 and our defense would've still been absolutely horrible.
Swashy

Postby Doctor » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:15 pm

That "sorry" dink and dunk offense? Did you completely miss what that offense did in Oakland? Jerry Rice made a career off the west coast offense, the best ever by a WR. Calvin Johnson would've been great in it too. Rodgers mobility and pinpoint accuracy are exactly what it calls for. You'r attempt to paint them as miscasted players in that offense could not be more wrong.
Doctor

Postby theBKwhopper » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:54 pm

Same.
theBKwhopper

Postby MJW » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:02 am

theBKwhopper wrote:

Same.

I just don't see the point. Being a fan is supposed to be fun. Being a pessimist is not fun. I'll argue like a rabid badger until a decision is made. Once it's made - be it a new coach, a draft pick, a signing - that's our guy and he'll get my support until he proves he doesn't deserve it.

It's a huge distinction. You can hate your brother's girlfriend. Once the ring is on, you welcome her to the family and hope things work out.
MJW

Postby theBKwhopper » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:44 am

MJW wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Same.

I just don't see the point. Being a fan is supposed to be fun. Being a pessimist is not fun. I'll argue like a rabid badger until a decision is made. Once it's made - be it a new coach, a draft pick, a signing - that's our guy and he'll get my support until he proves he doesn't deserve it.

It's a huge distinction. You can hate your brother's girlfriend. Once the ring is on, you welcome her to the family and hope things work out.

My mindset is as long as we're in the league, we got a chance to win it all. And, because I believe in that chance, I will always hope for it.
theBKwhopper

Postby Ken Carson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Dungy.
Ken Carson

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:21 pm

Ken Carson wrote:Dungy.

Why is that?
Doctor

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:34 am

Doctor wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Dungy.

Why is that?

Overrated.
Ken Carson

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:06 am

Raheem Morris
Phantom Phenom

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Ken Carson wrote:
Doctor wrote:Why is that?

Overrated.

Good talk.
Doctor

Postby beardmcdoug » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Maybe this is a sign of a what a colossal homer I am - but I've liked every single one of the hires at the time /shrug

started paying attention right when Dungy was hired - felt like a new start for the team

obviously, we couldn't get over the hill, so the Gruden hire was perfect

If I'm honest, I tend to agree with MJW about the team's direction, post-SB. Hindsight though, and what Doctor is saying, we should have just stuck with Gruden.

With Raheem, we wuz youngry. It was fun. Fat free was the bomb and blount was a lot of fun to watch too (I was in college though and "rolled the blount" more than the bucs did... probably made things a little better than they were lol)

Schiano made sense, we needed the whole team to tighten up. I still think he deserved another season. Call him what you want, but the guy knows his X's and O's.

Then Lovie felt like a homecoming - the old ball coach was back to his roots. Turns out he was a fuckin dinosaur and needed to go ASAP.

Koetter has probably turned out to be my second favorite coach (after Gruden), beyond the initial feeling of the hire. I was "meh - ok lets see", now I freaking love him
beardmcdoug

Postby Ken Carson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 am

Doctor wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Overrated.

Good talk.

Agreed.
Ken Carson

Postby BucaRican » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:23 am

Shiatzu was my least favorite, because of how much I liked Raheem. I think Raheem was used as a scape goat and money saver. He got the bad end of the stick. Weather he had the experience or not the franchise spent no type of money to try and make the Youngry Bucs better by spending 0 mula to help out.

Dungy was my favorite
BucaRican

Postby Teitan » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:28 am

While I agree we were not doing anything in Free Agency, Raheem had to go. Completely undisciplined players because they were all "boys". He was way out of his league.
Teitan

Postby Swashy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:31 am

Schiatzu.... omg of all the names he was called. And one more. I think Schiassano?

Oh man
Swashy

Postby Naismith » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 am

The problem with Raheem is that they hired him knowing it was too early but wanted to be too early rather than too late. I think it's fine if you're committed to letting him grow, knowing he's going to make some mistakes as he learns how to be a head coach, but they clearly weren't with the early hook. That said, you need to be able to change course and admit mistakes and that last year was so, so bad, so if they felt like it was never happening, it's good that they adapted the plan.
Naismith

Postby Doctor » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:02 pm

The bad part I can't forgive about the Raheem hiring and era is trying to run a two man show. For one, Raheem came in with a pretty weak staff as it was, but it had some potential. But if you are going with a risky staff you have to at least be SURE about them. We were left hanging mighty dry with Jagz. Then Raheem decided to handle DC duties as well. It was practically Raheem and Olson trying to do everything and that is just a recipe for failure.

That's one thing that made the Lovie hire so great. He, unfortunately, didn't get his DC of choice which would've been bringing Rod back home (which would've been great). But he did bring in a competent staff. He choose to empower his OC over his DC with their draft selections thinking his system would be able to make up for the lack of talent and scheme-fitting players, which it did not. That staff eventually ended up unseating him. Which just speaks more about the staff.
DK was luckily no fool either and brought in great people, mostly in Mike Smith to run the defense. While DK still had hands on calling plays (so did Gruden), he kept almost his entire staff as it was (very smart). An unsung move though was bringing in Todd Monken who was the HC of Southern Miss and really turned that program around. Not to mention did great stuff with the Jags WRs while in Jax with DK.
Being able to bring in your former HC, and Coach of the Year, Mike Smith was the biggest win for DK. Together they were also able to bring in some great coaches which don't get enough love. Hoke, ironically a Lovie pupil, is a very well established DB coach in the league and really showed that the FO was going after the best to fill out their staff. Mark Duffner is another Monken type hiring. Another leader who had a ton of HC experience and not to mention was also a trusted staffer under Smith in Jax as well. Of course the Jay Hayes signing has been praised plenty already.

TLDR: Point is after two eras of mishmash coaching staffs and flaky, unreliable signings this last regime has been incredible at surrounding themselves with great, dependable people. Honestly would not be surprised if our staff gets poached pretty heavily next offseason.
Doctor

Postby theBKwhopper » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 pm

I had no problem with Raheem. Seemed passionate and caring. His problem was he lost the team. We were 4-2 and looking up, then we ended the season on a 10 game losing streak. He lost those lazy bums and we couldn't move forward with that. Enter: Toes on the line.
theBKwhopper

Postby Patrick McIrish » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Chuck by far the worst this organization ever has hired. By far.

Cue the casuals with the "but we won a SB under Chuckie" posts......

They're so cute at this age.

No one EVER has done as much long term damage to the organization as Chuck and his ego have done.

And it's not close.

A bad coach with limited powers is less malignant than a egotistical tyrant that wants to do everything and won't listen to a soul.

We move on.....
Patrick McIrish

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:15 am

Doctor

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions