Your expectations for Jameis this 2017 season?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Your expectations for Jameis this 2017 season?

Postby tjax03 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:18 pm

Will jameis break the 5000 yard mark this season?

With jackson amd evans and hopefully a good wr from the draft as depth i say yea.

This is the year he will breakout.
tjax03

Re: Your expectations for Jameis this 2017 season?

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:38 pm

I expect/hope his INT totals decrease. 18 it too many.

We are still an injury to either Evans or DJax from being fucked at WR like we have the past 2 season for long stretches. Hopefully we'll be able to address WR in the draft to get some talented depth for once. The WR position has been hit hard by injury the past 2 years.

I still have little confidence we've done anything to improve out terrible rushing attack this offseason. Getting Sweezy back could help if he's 100%, but that is a big "IF" imo. Doug Martin is unreliable and our run game will be dogshit if Quizz Rodgers and Charles Sims are our 1-2 RBs.

If our O-line improves, Martin is the good version of himself, and we can stay healthy at WR I think Jameis will top 4500yds and 30TDs in 2017.

But I still have questions about the talent and depth on offense.
DreadNaught

Postby pewterpirates » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:11 pm

DreadNaught wrote:I expect/hope his INT totals decrease. 18 it too many.

We are still an injury to either Evans or DJax from being fucked at WR like we have the past 2 season for long stretches. Hopefully we'll be able to address WR in the draft to get some talented depth for once. The WR position has been hit hard by injury the past 2 years.

I still have little confidence we've done anything to improve out terrible rushing attack this offseason. Getting Sweezy back could help if he's 100%, but that is a big "IF" imo. Doug Martin is unreliable and our run game will be dogshit if Quizz Rodgers and Charles Sims are our 1-2 RBs.

If our O-line improves, Martin is the good version of himself, and we can stay healthy at WR I think Jameis will top 4500yds and 30TDs in 2017.

But I still have questions about the talent and depth on offense.

I pretty much agree with everything Dread said. I don't have much faith in our OL, and I'll be highly upset if we go into the season with Rodgers, Sims and Barber as our RBs. Just because you finally have a franchise QB doesn't mean you have to put ALL of the weight on his shoulders...which is what they'd be doing if they don't address the OL/RB.

My biggest expectation for Jameis in 2017 is to learn to control his emotions. I love that he's emotional and he leads this team the way he does, but in all of our big games last season he came out too hyped up and missed easy throws, the Dallas game in particular. He needs to stay within himself. It's ok to be hyped up, but once you drop back you gotta be a little more level-headed than he's shown at times so far.

He's gotta cut down on interceptions. And I know it's not his game, but I'd like to see more quick throws/decisions. There were way too many times last season where he didn't hit the open receiver early and he tried going for a bigger play. He even talked about it himself, he's gotta make the easy play sometimes. Nothing drives me more nuts than going for a 30-yard pass when you have an open receiver in the flat on 3rd & 2.
pewterpirates

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Assuming we address the run game in the draft, which should be priority #1, I'm hoping Jameis breaks out ala Derek Carr last year. With Evans and Jackson he has the weapons, though some more depth is needed sure. But as long as the run game returns to form, Jameis will have no excuses this year.
real bucs fan

Postby Buc2 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:28 pm

I want to see a much better turnover ratio out of him this season. I think he's been giving the ball away too much. That means he needs to play smarter imo. I realize that he has a bit of a gunslinger mentality but he needs to better recognize when the potential gain is outweighed by the potential loss instead of always going into Brett Favre mode. Nothing against Favre, but I want Winston to be better than Favre was. If he can accomplish this, I'd be quite content with another 4K yard season.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Cheb » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Three things.

I want more consistent footwork, especially by cutting unnecessary hitches after he is done with his drop. This is directly tied to his accuracy. You can spend a play watching Jameis's feet and accurately predict whether the pass will be good or bad based on what you see. While this has improved from when he was in college, it is still a work in progress. With better footwork comes better accuracy.

Second, I want him to take smart checkdown. While it is exciting when he fires a contested ball into traffic and it works, it is excruciating when it does not. He tries to be a big damn hero far too often, and he needs to learn that you can't score every play, live to fight another down, et cetera.

Third, I expect the team to be in playoff contention in December, barring an unlucky string of injuries. Jameis, being the leader of the team and offense, figures into that calculus.
Cheb

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:37 am

I don't expect less INTs. I'd love it. But I just think he may be one of those "take the good with the bad" type QBs.

I'd like to see improved deep ball accuracy. Hopefully a guy like DJax will help out with that, or at least give us the illusion of it, as he's great at getting under not-great deep passed.
I'd like to see less bonehead mistakes. Winston single handedly cost us a couple of games early last season with some REALLY bonehead plays. It's one thing to "take a chance" or "trust your WR" when there isn't really anything else there. I can appreciate a gun slinging risk taker to an extent, but on a few INTs he forced it in when there was a clearly far more open option. Just get better going through his reads. There's a difference between being a risk taker and just being stupid.
Improvement in the redzone. The redzone is another area where he seems to want to score how he wants to instead of how the defense allows. You need to take what the defense gives you, and Winston is more for just taking what he wants. Doesn't always work out.

I'd also second what Cheb said about footwork, even more so in the second half. It seems like he'd come out playing "in the phone booth" but as the game went on would get sloppy. He needs to hold down the finer points for 60 minutes.
Doctor

Postby real bucs fan » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:27 am

The biggest thing I think Winston can work on, is just playing calm and collected and taking what's available. Obviously there's a time to sling it, but he needs to do a better job of letting the game come to him rather than forcing his will. If he does that, the picks will drop significantly. And I think having more viable options should help there too. As would getting a run game again, which hopefully happens at the draft...
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:02 pm

More wins than last season.
Bootz2004

Postby AMERICAN MUSCLE » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm

3rd straight year of 4K yards. Around 4200-4300
35-38 TD's
15-20 INT's

I'd like to see him punch it in more on the ground like his rookie year. Minus the ones where he's gonna take a big hit. There was a few times last year where he passed when he could have easily ran it in. If I remember correctly, it ended up working out on most, if not all of those plays.

5 rushing TD's

That deep ball needs help, but I like that he throws it up.
AMERICAN MUSCLE

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:10 pm

Is Jameis on a team that gives up almost or more than 400 points a game?

Or, is Jameis on a team that gives up less than 300 points a game or close to it.

Ask yourself which team he would look better on and you will have your answer.

Of course, its also a question better suited for being answered after the draft - stay tuned.

Edit: Points for the whole season.
Last edited by mdb1958 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
mdb1958

Postby Nano » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:52 pm

I imagine Winston would probably be released if we were giving up 300-400 points per game. That's a lot of Pick6s
Nano

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:26 pm

mdb1958 wrote:Is Jameis on a team that gives up almost or more than 400 points a game?

Or, is Jameis on a team that gives up less than 300 points a game or close to it.

Of course, its also a question better suited for being answered after the draft - stay tuned.

I read this too many times
VauntedTampa2

Postby Caradoc » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:19 pm

Jameis is already ahead of schedule on so many metrics and intangibles, it's hard to try and set goals for him as a young QB. But here goes.

First, identify what you mean by "expectations". Is it 1) "based on XYZ performance and metrics from 2016, I think we'll see this XYZ this year" or 2) "From a coaching standpoint I want/expect to see improvement in X and Y" ?

Purely based on 1, I'd say I expect a lot more yards and somewhat fewer INTs as everything around him got better except the run game (so far)

As far as looking at 2, I expect him to get better with the deep ball. His accuracy there is ****, and that is completely on him regardless of the legions of excuses thrown up by his fanbois. He wildly overthrows wide open people even without pressure. His mechanics need work. If he's the "pro's pro" we all think he is, then he will fix that this year, or at least make big strides in doing so.

If we have team health and growth this year, and Jameis fixes (or comes close to fixing) his deep ball issues, he has the WRs, scheme/coaching, and mindset to eclipse the 5k mark. With more maturity, and less desperation throwing to guys who were rejected for "The Replacements" movie, he can easily improve not just on total TDs thrown, but total INTs (and therefore ratio).

I will say this: If Jameis is the breakout superstar we've been expecting, we'll see it this year. If we don't it will probably be years before it happens, if it even does.
Caradoc

Postby MJW » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:57 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:More wins than last season.

Seconded.

I expect all the stats to improve, of course. But that's the number that matters and the only way Winston will ever REALLY be measured in this town. As it should be.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:57 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:
mdb1958 wrote:Is Jameis on a team that gives up almost or more than 400 points a game?

I read this too many times

There is truth in my wisdom errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr -- points a season.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:24 am

Caradoc wrote:Jameis is already ahead of schedule on so many metrics and intangibles, it's hard to try and set goals for him as a young QB. But here goes.

First, identify what you mean by "expectations". Is it 1) "based on XYZ performance and metrics from 2016, I think we'll see this XYZ this year" or 2) "From a coaching standpoint I want/expect to see improvement in X and Y" ?

Purely based on 1, I'd say I expect a lot more yards and somewhat fewer INTs as everything around him got better except the run game (so far)

As far as looking at 2, I expect him to get better with the deep ball. His accuracy there is ****, and that is completely on him regardless of the legions of excuses thrown up by his fanbois. He wildly overthrows wide open people even without pressure. His mechanics need work. If he's the "pro's pro" we all think he is, then he will fix that this year, or at least make big strides in doing so.

If we have team health and growth this year, and Jameis fixes (or comes close to fixing) his deep ball issues, he has the WRs, scheme/coaching, and mindset to eclipse the 5k mark. With more maturity, and less desperation throwing to guys who were rejected for "The Replacements" movie, he can easily improve not just on total TDs thrown, but total INTs (and therefore ratio).

I will say this: If Jameis is the breakout superstar we've been expecting, we'll see it this year. If we don't it will probably be years before it happens, if it even does.

As a team, it doesnt matter if he's throwing to joe dirt! Its the completion percentage to each receiver that matters the most to me
mdb1958

Postby Fiasco » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:31 am

A higher madden rating. Dude fumbles every time I get sacked playing with the Bucs.
Fiasco

Postby acaton » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:29 pm

This team got much better through the FA period this year than I expected. I also look for improved QB pressures making our defense much better than years past. Our D rankings/numbers have improved but rankings can be misleading. Jameis is just one piece of the wheel, granted an important piece however, football is a team sport first and foremost.

The team is getting good enough to contend. Perhaps good enough to carry the off guy into the win column and overcome one guy's mistake here and there. For the first time in about 10-12 years the team can draft the best player available regardless of position. Nice place to be for a change.

We'll be in the tournament this year but not go that deep...yet.
Relax it'll fit.
acaton

Postby Moozician » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:00 pm

I want him to emerge as the best QB in the division. A tough sell with Brees, Ryan, and Newton around.
Moozician

Postby BucaRican » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:19 pm

To be accurate. His accuracy was his biggest problem last year. Also he needs to relax and learn to throw the ball away when he is pressured and has no shot.
BucaRican

Postby Deja Entendu » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 pm

I expect him to lead this team to the playoffs.
Deja Entendu

Postby mdb1958 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:04 pm

Nano wrote:I imagine Winston would probably be released if we were giving up 300-400 points per game. That's a lot of Pick6s

Leave it to Nano to not let me know to fix it...
mdb1958

Postby Bucballa85 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:09 pm

I expect his best season as a pro so far. He will have a really good receiving group next year. Especially if they make some more moves in the draft and get a good rb in there too. If everything goes right it should be the best offense in Buccaneers history.
Bucballa85

Postby Four Verticals » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:32 pm

Jameis needs to do a number of things or he'll never move to the upper echelon.

calm down

take the easy throw

calm down

make the easy throw accurately

calm down

improve his footwork

calm down

throw the deep ball more accurately

calm down

stop giving the ball to the opponent

calm down
Four Verticals

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:50 pm

I actually agree about him calming down. It was most clear in that Dallas prime time game. Jameis was erratic while Prescott was cool as a cucumber. Jameis would greatly benefit from being in control over his emotions and not get himself too hype.
real bucs fan

Postby CamCam » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:28 am

CamCam

Postby MJW » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:40 am

real bucs fan wrote:I actually agree about him calming down. It was most clear in that Dallas prime time game. Jameis was erratic while Prescott was cool as a cucumber. Jameis would greatly benefit from being in control over his emotions and not get himself too hype.

This has been his problem since the very first series against the Titans. He plays worse at home. He plays worse in the 1st half. He's struggled in Prime Time. This is all related to what you're talking about. I don't want to "shrink" him but it seems like he gets too fired up and it takes him awhile to calm down.

Prescott, whether you're a believer or not, has that same thing both Mannings, Brady, etc, have - he always looks like he's also thinking about where he's going to eat dinner after the game.

Not knocking Winston. You don't win a Natty Title without clutch. But I think that's something else than what we're talking about entirely. Some people just get really, really fired up to the point of their detriment.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:32 am

Targets need to be in motion.
mdb1958

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:53 am

Targets need to be deeper.

Also, which fan would not say "less ints" from their qb? Rams, Bengals, Bills, all would say it.
Doctor

Next

Return to Team Discussions