Josh Gordon reinstatement ruling coming soon

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Josh Gordon reinstatement ruling coming soon

Postby Defense5599 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:28 pm

The Browns have said that are done with him. Do you gamble a late round pick on him? I'd love to have him. If he stays clean, this offense would be scary good next season. Especially if they can get OJ Howard or Dalvin Cook
TAMPAAAAAAAAAA!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
Defense5599

Re: Josh Gordon reinstatement ruling coming soon

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:32 pm

Eh.... I don't know. He's been away from the game for a long time.

That concerns me a lot more than his weed habit. If he's sitting there after the draft and we want to have a full cupboard at the position...Sure, maybe. But I would be disappointed if we spent significant money.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Defense5599 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:19 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Eh.... I don't know. He's been away from the game for a long time.

That concerns me a lot more than his weed habit. If he's sitting there after the draft and we want to have a full cupboard at the position...Sure, maybe. But I would be disappointed if we spent significant money.

That's the thing. We don't have to spend a lot of money on him. I don't think any team would sign him for much more than the veteran minimum base. Incentive laden contact is what I'm thinking
TAMPAAAAAAAAAA!!!! BAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!
Defense5599

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:18 am

guy is just raw talent - I'd spend a 5th or 6th round flyer on him - incentive-laden contract. Winston would literally never *not* have an open person to throw to
beardmcdoug

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

I don't know man, guy hasn't played football in what..2 years? That's a LONG time..****, take 2 months off from working out and see how sore you are and how much ground you lose in that time..

And it's not just about money..We can only carry so many guys at the position..

Hypothetical situation, if signing Gordon would necessitate us to drop Humph or a rookie WR (maybe that guy from USF) is it worth it? And how will we know?

It's not like his drug of choice is a catalyst for energizing folks, enabling them and allowing them to get after it(training, working out, practicing positional skills)..

It's more of a chillaxin, eat some Cheetos and watch Netflix for 8 hours kind of thing..
Super K

Postby acmillis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:53 am

Our skill position player meetings:

10:00 a.m. breakfast
11:00 a.m. Padded practice
12:00 individual position tape
1:00 lunch
2:00 NA Meeting
acmillis

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:00 am

He looked like a monster against us last year in pre-season. He destroyed Grimes a few times.

I'd take a flyer on him.

Edit: He still played football for the last 2 years, just not in games. He's in incredible shape, maybe the best he's ever been in according to his recent picture and "his people". He was the most talented WR in the NFL that had a drug problem. I don't see any argument against it if we could get him for a 6th or 7th round pick.
uscbucsfan

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15 am

Gordon will go somewhere cheap on a show and prove deal where he has a chance to see a **** ton of targets. Doesn't make sense for either him or us.
real bucs fan

Postby Swashy » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:18 am

I'm only taking a chance on this guy for like a 6th or 7th round pick and if he's in game shape. After the Tanard Jackson fiasco I don't want any part of a player like this. Weed is not physically addictive but the mental part more than makes up for it.

Some people go way too hard.
Swashy

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:43 am

I don't see the need. We have Evans. We have Jackson. Perfect time to add a talented young rookie to compete with Hump, Dye, etc. Gordon wouldn't be a good fit IMO. Plus he's a repeat offender who can't stay clean. No thanks.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:49 am

I'd add him in a heartbeat if it was cheap. There is do downside if he only costed a 5-7 Rd pick and little money.
PrimeMinister

Postby uscbucsfan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:53 am

real bucs fan wrote:Gordon will go somewhere cheap on a show and prove deal where he has a chance to see a **** ton of targets. Doesn't make sense for either him or us.

I think Cleveland will keep him, but I don't see a downfall if it came cheap. I'm pretty sure I read his contract number is around 1 mill. He's 25 and better than anything in the draft. There's always risk to a player, but I think most could justify a 6th or 7th and 1 mill in cap for maybe the best WR in the NFL, but it's not going to happen.
uscbucsfan

Postby BUCCABEER » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:07 pm

I disagree with the thought that there is no need. There is always a need for a playmaker. I'll take as many of them as you can give me. With that said, we shouldn't break the bank for him. For him as a person, he needs time to get his act together for longer than a month. Coming to TB, there would be no rush for him to be an every down WR. It allows him to prove he can stay clean, get back into Football shape, play a role where he could destroy 2nd and 3rd string CBs while out there, and realistically would be a long term solution for DJ should he get hurt or just start losing a step.

On the other side of the coin, ASJ probably blew it for the Bucs willingness to take a chance on a proven dumbass, so I don't see it happening but would love it if we didn't overpay for it.
BUCCABEER

Postby acmillis » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:16 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Gordon will go somewhere cheap on a show and prove deal where he has a chance to see a **** ton of targets. Doesn't make sense for either him or us.

I think Cleveland will keep him, but I don't see a downfall if it came cheap. I'm pretty sure I read his contract number is around 1 mill. He's 25 and better than anything in the draft. There's always risk to a player, but I think most could justify a 6th or 7th and 1 mill in cap for maybe the best WR in the NFL, but it's not going to happen.

I agree with your thought process but mine is a bit different.

Let's say we sign him to a one-year "prove it" deal....and he catches 100 balls for 1500 yards and 6+ TDs. Now, we can franchise tag him for $16M or offer him a long-term deal with a decent amount of guaranteed money.

Do I trust that he can stay clean for one year...ehhh maybe. Do I trust he can stay clean over the course of a 4-5 year contract.... :drinkingdrunk:

IMO, it is not worth the one-year prove it deal. If he doesn't "prove it" then we wasted a roster spot. If he does prove it, we'll probably sign him long-term and regret it long-term.
acmillis

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:24 pm

While an immense talent like Josh Gordon is intriguing for any offense, the fact is that he can't be relied upon. Imo the odds are really good that he will just continue to disappoint whatever team he goes to. Sure, he may flash when he's on the field and make big plays for his team. But it's just as likely that he will get himself suspended again. So is that what we want here in Tampa? Do we want to be teased by his talent for a brief time only to be disappointed? I have little confidence Josh Gordon can be reliable member of an NFL team.

I also don't think the Bucs would be a team he would want to go to. As someone mentioned already he should go to a team that will target him alot so he can prove his value. With Evans and DJax I don't think there are enough ball to go around.

That said, whatever team lands Gordon I'll hope for the best for him personally. His talent has never been an issue.
DreadNaught

Postby Caradoc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:21 am

Timing is just bad. Say we get a 1 year cheapo deal, then he wants bank. We gonna pay 3 top dollar WRs? Best we get is one year, drama ain't worth it. let him find another rebound team.
Caradoc

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:36 pm

Caradoc wrote:Timing is just bad. Say we get a 1 year cheapo deal, then he wants bank. We gonna pay 3 top dollar WRs? Best we get is one year, drama ain't worth it. let him find another rebound team.

Let's just say we take a flyer on the guy with a one year deal and he comes in to play here and there and perhaps gets a start or two during the season.

In his action, he snares 20 catches for 300 yards and say three scores. Decent, but far from elite.

How much is he really going to demand after that?

If he wants $10 million for that production, do you feel bad letting him walk? I wouldn't.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby real bucs fan » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:45 pm

Gordon should just go to a team like the Ravens, a team with a proven QB where he can be the #1 and put up numbers for a competitive team. If he can keep his nose clean he'll get himself paid by a team like the 9ers who are just desperate for talent.
real bucs fan

Postby MJW » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:06 pm

If Gordon had his **** together he'd be the best receiver in football. Not one of. Not, "besides Brown and Julio, etc." The best. The guy, when he was on the field in 2012 and 2013, was absolutely unstoppable despite not knowing how to play the position yet.

I hope the weed was worth the $40 mil signing bonus you would have gotten, dude.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:27 pm

MJW wrote:If Gordon had his **** together he'd be the best receiver in football. Not one of. Not, "besides Brown and Julio, etc." The best. The guy, when he was on the field in 2012 and 2013, was absolutely unstoppable despite not knowing how to play the position yet.

I hope the weed was worth the $40 mil signing bonus you would have gotten, dude.

That's debatable. Probably in the conversation but there are a ton of guys who are in that same conversation. I'm not even sure Gordon was the best WR in the state of Ohio during that time.
Bootz2004

Postby Watchout4Bucs » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:54 am

He is a legit #1. The Browns continue to keep this sideshow on the roster and hope he can fill a void they don't fill.
Watchout4Bucs

Postby MJW » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:52 am

When you consider that he wandered into Cleveland late in 2012 (after being a supplemental pick), having played in Art Briles's "three routes" passing tree, catching passes from Brandon Weeden, Colt McCoy, etc, and he produced like he produced like he did (at a record rate for everyone but Randy Moss at that point), and he did so around his suspensions.

I stand by my statement about him being the best in the league right now. I think he'd likely have multiple 2,000 yard receiving seasons by this point based on his level of play under those conditions.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:27 am

I'd absolutely take a shot at him, even trade a 5th. The draft is all a gamble, may as well gamble on a mega elite talent. Give him a two years deal say $13M, $5 in the first guaranteed (with drug clause), the other $8 becomes guaranteed at the start of the next league year if he's on the roster. Who cares if we are paying big bucks to 3 WRs for the next two years. There's no real players to re-sign until 2019 anyways. That's the 2017 and 2018 season with a heck of an arsenal. Two years. That' a lifetime in the NFL.
Doctor

Return to Team Discussions