New kickoff rule?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
New kickoff rule?

Postby Kress » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:28 am

There has been a proposal that, if the kickoff splits the uprights, the ball goes to the 20 instead of the 25. Thoughts?

It's only 5 yards, but still adds a bit of interest to the stupidity of a kickoff that sails out of the end zone and absolutely nothing happens in between those 37 commercial breaks. I like it. I'd even potentially add something else to it. Kickoffs are just such nothingness now.
Kress

Re: New kickoff rule?

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:32 am

Kress wrote:There has been a proposal that, if the kickoff splits the uprights, the ball goes to the 20 instead of the 25. Thoughts?

It's only 5 yards, but still adds a bit of interest to the stupidity of a kickoff that sails out of the end zone and absolutely nothing happens in between those 37 commercial breaks. I like it. I'd even potentially add something else to it. Kickoffs are just such nothingness now.

I see no downside, except this would lessen the value of Roberto Second Roundo's secret mortar kickoffs.
MJW

Postby Kress » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:46 am

MJW wrote:
Kress wrote:There has been a proposal that, if the kickoff splits the uprights, the ball goes to the 20 instead of the 25. Thoughts?

I see no downside, except this would lessen the value of Roberto Second Roundo's secret mortar kickoffs.

Or would it add intrigue. Sophie's choice. :scratches goatee:
Kress

Postby Doctor » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:11 pm

I'd say push it back further, like the 15. Currently kicking short and forcing a return tends to end in your favor and the opposing team usually fail to reach the 25 yard line. I don't know if the possibility of getting them to start at the 20 is enough to risk them starting at the 25 when teams tend to stop returns before the 25. Also, quite frankly, I don't think kick offs get enough love, nor do defenses get enough help. Having the defense get super pumped and congrats a kicker as they take the field on the 15 would be great.

And despite the NFL thinking that moving from the 20 to the 25 would reduce returns- it hasn't. Teams still go for it. Making it more rewarding to split the uprights would have a drastic reduction in returns, which is what the NFL really wants.
Doctor

Postby Kress » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:48 pm

That was my initial thought. Screw the 5 yards. Make it more interesting. I internally toyed with the thought of putting a point on it, but then thought better. This isn't the XFL. Either way, I like the discussion..
Kress

Return to Team Discussions