Is Colin Kaepernick An Option For Us? What About For ANYONE?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Is Colin Kaepernick An Option For Us? What About For ANYONE?

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:18 am

Going to walk the fine line here between TD and OT.

Ian Rapaport, among others, noted that it's really hard to explain (based on ability) why CK hasn't been signed, despite scrubs like Geno Smith and Matt Barkley finding jobs.

That is, of course, unless the league (which could mean THE LEAGUE, or the owners collectively, or the owners individually) don't want him to play in the NFL anymore. If it's a collective action in any way, that's a blackball. If all 32 GMs are simply coming to the same conclusion (he's not worth the headache), that's more defensible, but it still raises a lot of questions in a league that's knowingly employed some of the worst human beings in sports.

So, would you want to see him here? Would you be okay with it? If not - because of his play, or because of his politics? Do you hope he gets another shot somewhere? Are you willing to overlook his politics if you believe he can help us win? Are you not? ETC.
MJW

Re: Is Colin Kaepernick An Option For Us? What About For ANY

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:23 am

Want nothing to do with him. He made his bed, he can lie in it. Also he sucks.
LoRdNlKoN

Postby terrytate » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:25 am

Screw Colin Kaepernick.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:29 am

Devil's Advocate: 18 TDs, 4 INTs, with Jeremy Kerley as his #1 receiver last year. Better QB rating than Jameis and still probably the most dangerous running QB in the league when healthy.
MJW

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:36 am

MJW wrote:Devil's Advocate: 18 TDs, 4 INTs, with Jeremy Kerley as his #1 receiver last year. Better QB rating than Jameis and still probably the most dangerous running QB in the league when healthy.

Come on MJW, you know sometimes stats don't always tell the full picture. You can't honestly tell me you watched him play last year and want him as a starting quarterback. Obviously he'd be a back up but I meant in case Jameis got hurt. Kaepernick has been a hot mess for a couple of years now.
LoRdNlKoN

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:36 am

If the Bucs were to sign a veteran backup, I think CK would be my favorite choice. I'm fine with Griffin and I'd like for them to draft one instead of going that route but if they do choose to get a guy with experience, he's who I would choose.
Naismith

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:44 am

LoRdNlKoN wrote:
MJW wrote:Devil's Advocate: 18 TDs, 4 INTs, with Jeremy Kerley as his #1 receiver last year. Better QB rating than Jameis and still probably the most dangerous running QB in the league when healthy.

Come on MJW, you know sometimes stats don't always tell the full picture. You can't honestly tell me you watched him play last year and want him as a starting quarterback. Obviously he'd be a back up but I meant in case Jameis got hurt. Kaepernick has been a hot mess for a couple of years now.

I like Jay Cutler better (see other threads.) That said...who do you think is out there that would give us a better option to win if Jameis went down? I have watched him some. His game is clearly broken right now - which is why it's remarkable to me that he's still producing, and he's still honestly a force of nature when he pulls the ball down to run.

I can't stand the damn guy, and his self-righteous gucci ignorance about global affairs is nails on the chalkboard to me. But if Jameis is writhing on the ground, I'd rather him him (or Cutler) warming up than Ryan Griffin or the other current free agent options.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:49 am

And notice how I didn't say I wanted to sign him, before that gets put on me. Just that if we needed our backup to play, he'd be a good one to have out of the options.
MJW

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:04 am

MJW wrote:
LoRdNlKoN wrote:

I like Jay Cutler better (see other threads.) That said...who do you think is out there that would give us a better option to win if Jameis went down? I have watched him some. His game is clearly broken right now - which is why it's remarkable to me that he's still producing, and he's still honestly a force of nature when he pulls the ball down to run.

I can't stand the damn guy, and his self-righteous gucci ignorance about global affairs is nails on the chalkboard to me. But if Jameis is writhing on the ground, I'd rather him him (or Cutler) warming up than Ryan Griffin or the other current free agent options.

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with bootz on this one. I'd go with Griffin and draft a developmental qb somewhere in this draft.
LoRdNlKoN

Postby sanka » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:02 am

:lol: :lol: @ incase Jameis get hurt....talk about putting a jinx on your QB....just say you want a backup QB.

CK was playing on the worst team in the NFL...he would have won the Browns at least 5 games....SF sucks.

He is a decent QB and he at least has a pedigree compared to that clown pretending to be QB ...Cutler....What has Cutler done in this league Maryjane besides throwing INTs and getting coaches fired?
sanka

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:06 am

LoRdNlKoN wrote:
MJW wrote:

As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with bootz on this one. I'd go with Griffin and draft a developmental qb somewhere in this draft.

Clarify - RGIII, or Ryan?
MJW

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 am

MJW wrote:
LoRdNlKoN wrote:

The one that's already on our team and has two years in Koetter's system :D
LoRdNlKoN

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:36 am

LoRdNlKoN wrote:
MJW wrote:

The one that's already on our team and has two years in Koetter's system :D

I thought that, but then I thought, "they can't mean Ryan, he's horrible against 4th stringers for crying out loud!"
MJW

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:26 am

He would be fine, but I have gone on record saying that I have no problem with what he did, mostly because I see most fans be obnoxious during the anthem. He is certainly better than what we have as a back up.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:51 am

There is a report out there saying that GMs & owners want to make an example out of CK to prevent other players from doing the same thing. The same report said among GMs & owners CK is the most hated player in the league.

Based on the scarcity of QB talent this looks like a blackball. He is better than other QBs currently on rosters.
PrimeMinister

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:56 am

PrimeMinister wrote:There is a report out there saying that GMs & owners want to make an example out of CK to prevent other players from doing the same thing. The same report said among GMs & owners CK is the most hated player in the league.

Based on the scarcity of QB talent this looks like a blackball. He is better than other QBs currently on rosters.

The fact that GENO SMITH got a job as the primary backup for a team with Superbowl aspirations, while CK isn't getting a sniff, is pretty damning. Geno Smith is terrible. CK when he was at his worst is better than Geno Smith's A-game.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 am

Geno Smith getting a job as the 3rd QB is a reason why CK should be considered?? LMAO! You're taking this backup QB thing way too far MJW.

And the answer is no.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:35 am

As much as Kap made his own bed, he's getting a raw deal.

I'd be very happy with him as a backup.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:39 am

Absolutely not. The difference between Kaep and those other scrubs you mentioned is, those scrubs don't create a nationally covered distraction for their team. Kaep brings the suck AND the baggage. Similar to Tebow. He'd probably be on a roster in some capacity if there wasn't Tebow-mania. Teams don't want the circus.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:43 am

Teitan wrote:Absolutely not. The difference between Kaep and those other scrubs you mentioned is, those scrubs don't create a nationally covered distraction for their team. Kaep brings the suck AND the baggage. Similar to Tebow. He'd probably be on a roster in some capacity if there wasn't Tebow-mania. CASUAL FANS don't want the circus.

FIFY. What did Tebow do that was such a distraction? Profess his love and belief in God?
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:46 am

Kap had already said he's done with the kneeling thing.

It's in the past. It absolutely makes no sense that there are still tons of absolute scumbags in the league, yet Kap is the one getting blackballed.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:47 am

You gotta love this business. Players who get suspended for drugs, get arrested, hit women, get in fights, drink and drive get chance after chance but guys who stand up for what they believe "are a distraction". The idiocy is real with this one.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 am

Colin Kaepernick isn't a consistently good passer. While he was playing better football towards the end of last season, he still wasn't very good. That said, he would be auditioning for the backup job. As others have said, Kap coming into the game after an injury to Winston would make me feel better than if Griff were warming up.

His politics are divisive. I personally don't mind, but alot of people do. This board, a microcosmic sampling of Bucs fans, would explode with more political shenanigans. One could surmise that the rest of the fanbase would, too. That may turn off some fans to the team, which hurts ticket sales and general revenue. This could be especially true among veterans, who the Bucs have always been strong supporters of.

If we signed him, I would support it if the deal was fair. But we won't, because NFL teams hate controversy.
Cheb

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:57 am

I don't believe Kaepernick is being blackballed and I think he'll be on a roster soon enough.
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am

Cheb wrote:Colin Kaepernick isn't a consistently good passer. While he was playing better football towards the end of last season, he still wasn't very good. That said, he would be auditioning for the backup job. As others have said, Kap coming into the game after an injury to Winston would make me feel better than if Griff were warming up.

His politics are divisive. I personally don't mind, but alot of people do. This board, a microcosmic sampling of Bucs fans, would explode with more political shenanigans. One could surmise that the rest of the fanbase would, too. That may turn off some fans to the team, which hurts ticket sales and general revenue. This could be especially true among veterans, who the Bucs have always been strong supporters of.

If we signed him, I would support it if the deal was fair. But we won't, because NFL teams hate controversy.

Okay I'm not advocating signing him for reasons you stated in paragraph 1. But paragraphs 2 & 3 are BS. If anyone would be turned off by Kaepernick because of his stance on police brutality yet they cheered Vincent Jackson and his DUIs, then you're an idiot. A big 1 at that. The hypocrisy is mind boggling.
Bootz2004

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:23 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Cheb wrote:Colin Kaepernick isn't a consistently good passer. While he was playing better football towards the end of last season, he still wasn't very good. That said, he would be auditioning for the backup job. As others have said, Kap coming into the game after an injury to Winston would make me feel better than if Griff were warming up.

Okay I'm not advocating signing him for reasons you stated in paragraph 1. But paragraphs 2 & 3 are BS. If anyone would be turned off by Kaepernick because of his stance on police brutality yet they cheered Vincent Jackson and his DUIs, then you're an idiot. A big 1 at that. The hypocrisy is mind boggling.

My good man, there is a sizeable group of people who absolutely can't stand Colin Kaepernick because he won't stand for the national anthem and have no issue supporting players who do far worse things. I agree with you, it is very hypocritical.

But you see how quickly this discussion turned? That's why he is still unemployed.
Cheb

Postby Swashy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:47 am

I don't care about the whole National Anthem thing. If you don't want to stand you don't have to. That's not why I don't want him. I don't want him because he's not a good QB and is gonna get killed behind our offensive line that's lightyears behind what he had in San Fran a few years ago. That and I have no doubt that if he managed to win at all in Winston's absence it would turn into an absolute media circus about who the man at QB really is around here.

Don't want it. Don't need it.

Kaepernick and his giant shoe collection can piss off.
Swashy

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:51 am

Swashy wrote:That and I have no doubt that if he managed to win at all in Winston's absence it would turn into an absolute media circus about who the man at QB really is around here.

I think you should have a little more doubt about that. If the Bucs signed Kaepernick, there would be no question as to what his role is. If Jameis got hurt and Kaepernick filled in well, the discussion wouldn't be whether he was the man here but whether he earned a shot to be a starter again elsewhere.
Naismith

Postby Swashy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:04 am

Naismith wrote:
Swashy wrote:That and I have no doubt that if he managed to win at all in Winston's absence it would turn into an absolute media circus about who the man at QB really is around here.

I think you should have a little more doubt about that. If the Bucs signed Kaepernick, there would be no question as to what his role is. If Jameis got hurt and Kaepernick filled in well, the discussion wouldn't be whether he was the man here but whether he earned a shot to be a starter again elsewhere.

The job of media is to create controversy where there is none. Even if the story became, "Has he earned a job elsewhere" we don't need that here right now. As soon as he does anything positive it's gonna be blown up into mega proportions. There's gonna be some idiot who will argue on CK's behalf to displace Winston because it grabs headlines and generates attention. Even if it's not obvious it can/will happen. Nevermind the story of a (let's just say) 7-2 Bucs team. If CK played well for even so much as half a preseason game or a regular season game spelling Winston with an injury, suddenly there's gonna be a national need to talk about him despite the fact that no one in Tampa would be. And plus he seems the type that will find some way to create controversy on his own because he wants attention.
Swashy

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:42 am

Bootz2004 wrote:You gotta love this business. Players who get suspended for drugs, get arrested, hit women, get in fights, drink and drive get chance after chance but guys who stand up for what they believe "are a distraction". The idiocy is real with this one.

I agree with this 100%. People are willing to give Joe Mixon a "second chance" even though he is on video punching a woman. Chiefs fans gave Tyreek Hill a second chance even though he admitted to hitting/choking a pregnant woman and they have been against Kap, even though they yell "Cheeeeeefs" at the end of the anthem. Really stupid.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Next

Return to Team Discussions