Buccaneers signing Nick Folk

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Buccaneers signing Nick Folk

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Peter Schrager‏Verified account @PSchrags 10m10 minutes ago
More
News. A year after selecting K Roberto Aguayo in 2nd round, the Bucs are signing K Nick Folk. Let the competition begin.
Last edited by ImAWalkingCorpse on Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImAWalkingCorpse

Re: Nick Folk?

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Good.. It was a mistake not having competition last season for Aguayo.
DreadNaught

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:27 pm

Good, now may the best man win and after Folk wins, may a valuable lesson be learned.
Naismith

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:31 pm

May the best man win.
Cheb

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Naismith wrote:Good, now may the best man win and after Folk wins, may a valuable lesson be learned.

I'm hoping Aguayo has been putting in the work.
Teitan

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Roberto will be the starter barring something absurd. Just my opinion.

I hope the best kicker is retained
VauntedTampa2

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:45 pm

Missed four field goals last year, three of them were blocked. 3 for 3 from 40-49. 2 for 4 from 50+. Lifetime 59% from 50+. And he didn't cost any picks, nor count against the team for future compensatory picks.
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Naismith wrote:Missed four field goals last year, three of them were blocked. 3 for 3 from 40-49. 2 for 4 from 50+. Lifetime 59% from 50+. And he didn't cost any picks, nor count against the team for future compensatory picks.

Dallas drafted him in 07.
Bootz2004

Postby Nano » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:53 pm

Unless Aguayo can really turn it around, I don't see him beating Folk.
Nano

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:23 pm

Some people are going to be feeling really dumb when Bobby is kicking 90% next season.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:40 pm

Doctor wrote:Some people are going to be feeling really dumb when Bobby is kicking 90% next season.

Unless Aguayo hits over 90% for about the next 15 years, our GM should feel dumb for drafting him in the 2nd round.
MJW

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:53 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Naismith wrote:Missed four field goals last year, three of them were blocked. 3 for 3 from 40-49. 2 for 4 from 50+. Lifetime 59% from 50+. And he didn't cost any picks, nor count against the team for future compensatory picks.

Dallas drafted him in 07.

Fascinating piece of trivia!
Naismith

Postby theBKwhopper » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:54 pm

Man this situation is depressing
theBKwhopper

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:02 am

theBKwhopper wrote:Man this situation is depressing

Bruce Allen: "I think it's safe to say that with Dexter Jackson, I made a 2nd round pick in Tampa that it'll be hard to out-suck."
Jason Licht: "Did you trade up for him?"
Bruce Allen: "No, actually, we traded back."
Jason Licht: "Hold my beer, this **** is going to blow your mind."
MJW

Postby terrytate » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:29 am

MJW wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Man this situation is depressing

Bruce Allen: "I think it's safe to say that with Dexter Jackson, I made a 2nd round pick in Tampa that it'll be hard to out-suck."

In Allen's defense, I feel confident that they were staring at Desean Jackson pretty hard. Then when he went off the board, they panicked a bit. Still dumb, but Dexter wasn't plan A.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:31 am

terrytate wrote:
MJW wrote:

In Allen's defense, I feel confident that they were staring at Desean Jackson pretty hard. Then when he went off the board, they panicked a bit. Still dumb, but Dexter wasn't plan A.

I'm of the opinion that a front office should use that whole February-April window to prepare for such possibilities (along with every other possibility), but I do understand your point. Aguayo was Licht's Plan A. That is different in some ways.
MJW

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:34 am

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:

I'm of the opinion that a front office should use that whole February-April window to prepare for such possibilities (along with every other possibility), but I do understand your point. Aguayo was Licht's Plan A. That is different in some ways.

And if he was who he was at FSU and was our Janakowski for 10+ years everyone thinks it's a smart move. It was a risk. I'm hoping Roberto makes good on it.
Teitan

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:52 am

Teitan wrote:And if he was who he was at FSU and was our Janakowski for 10+ years everyone thinks it's a smart move. It was a risk. I'm hoping Roberto makes good on it.

Anyone could be your Janikowski for 10+ years. All you need to do is keep signing them when their contract is up. You don't need to invest draft picks to keep a guy for a long time.

Also, why would Janikowski be the goal? Why not a good kicker?
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:55 am

Naismith wrote:
Teitan wrote:And if he was who he was at FSU and was our Janakowski for 10+ years everyone thinks it's a smart move. It was a risk. I'm hoping Roberto makes good on it.

Anyone could be your Janikowski for 10+ years. All you need to do is keep signing them when their contract is up. You don't need to invest draft picks to keep a guy for a long time.

Stephen Gotskowski......he doesn't fit your agenda though. Belichick
drafted a kicker too. Such an idiot....
Bootz2004

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Naismith wrote:

Well, Gostkowski wasn't part of the discussion. People love to point out how you can address the kicking situation for a long time, as if the only way to do that is drafting a player, like you can't keep an undrafted player for a long time. If the Bucs had kept Matt Bryant for 10+ years, that would have addressed the 10+ year issue that people seem to think is important without using any picks. For whatever reason, Janikowski's long tenure of mediocrity is held up as some sort of desirable result.

But since you brought him up. Using a fourth round pick on a guy isn't nearly the same as trading two picks so you can use a second round pick on a kicker. My philosophy is always that once you get to day three of the draft, position mostly doesn't matter. If Gostkowski or Aguayo or whoever is the highest rated player on your board and the one you think has a most chance to make/improve your team, go for it. So while I still would never pick a kicker because of the ease of acquiring one, it's a lot better use of draft assets using one day three pick on one. I, personally, think it's a mistake but not nearly as egregious of a mistake as what the Bucs did.
Naismith

Re: Buccaneers signing Nick Folk

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:13 am

Nick Folk is a legit kicker.

Credit Licht for not compounding his mistake by doubling down.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:23 am

Naismith wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Well, Gostkowski wasn't part of the discussion. People love to point out how you can address the kicking situation for a long time, as if the only way to do that is drafting a player, like you can't keep an undrafted player for a long time. If the Bucs had kept Matt Bryant for 10+ years, that would have addressed the 10+ year issue that people seem to think is important without using any picks. For whatever reason, Janikowski's long tenure of mediocrity is held up as some sort of desirable result.

But since you brought him up. Using a fourth round pick on a guy isn't nearly the same as trading two picks so you can use a second round pick on a kicker. My philosophy is always that once you get to day three of the draft, position mostly doesn't matter. If Gostkowski or Aguayo or whoever is the highest rated player on your board and the one you think has a most chance to make/improve your team, go for it. So while I still would never pick a kicker because of the ease of acquiring one, it's a lot better use of draft assets using one day three pick on one. I, personally, think it's a mistake but not nearly as egregious of a mistake as what the Bucs did.

You went from "you don't need to invest picks at all" to "once you get to day 3, it's okay". Got it.
Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:39 am

Damn Nick Folk is still playing? That's a name I haven't heard in a while. Looking at his stats it looks like he's still got it. I'm fully in favor of bringing in competition for Aguayo. I'm willing to forget that rookie year so long as he doesn't play like that again. If he does it again then we need to cut our losses.
Swashy

Postby Naismith » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:49 am

Bootz2004 wrote:You went from "you don't need to invest picks at all" to "once you get to day 3, it's okay". Got it.

Apparently I am too complex for you.

No, you don't need to invest a pick to have a very good kicker and the majority of top kickers were acquired as free agents. Yes, I think drafting a kicker in any round is a mistake. Yes, I think it makes far more sense and is far more palatable to draft a kicker on day three than it does to trade two picks so you can draft one in the second round.

In simple math terms:

Acquiring a free agent kicker > using a day three pick to acquire a kicker > using a day two/multiple picks to acquire a kicker.
Naismith

Postby SIBucsFan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:54 am

I will be rooting for Aguayo, but I very glad we got a solid veteran NFL kicker to compete with him. Folk has made 86% of his field goals in the past four seasons.
SIBucsFan

Postby mdb1958 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:05 am

If ya want to talk about investments, getting a 3rd right now would be a pretty good one. If this other guy cant cut it we can start going for it on 4th down.

`
`
`
`
`

If you can get this defense where it dont allow some QB to go for 32 for 36 against us...
mdb1958

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:15 am

Tell you what..This signing, as well as previous actions, shows that Licht means what he says..

And while Licht operates outside the box at times and takes chances, he isn't too proud to force said chance down everyone's throats..He acts quickly to fix a mistake..

I like it..

Now, Roberto, go out and grab your spot or hit the road..Simple as a screwdriver...
Super K

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:40 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Naismith wrote:

Protip: If you have one or two examples of a strategy working out well over, say, a 20 year period...

It's a bad strategy ;)
MJW

Postby NYBF » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:58 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:

Bootz2004 wrote:Belichick is like I said so deep inside the head of every casual fan.
NYBF

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Good to have competition, but I'm hoping that Aguayo gets out of that funk and can be our kicker long term because if he loses out to Folk and is cut we'll be looking at kicker again really soon.
Miller4Prez64

Next

Return to Team Discussions