Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
post

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Kress wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:After mulling this over, I've concluded that Mike Smith desired more of an intimidation factor from our safeties. If Wilcox can bring one thing to our D, it's a boomstick.




Insert picture of a yellow flag.


Exactly what I was thinking..

The Dashon Gholdson (sp) mistake revisited..
Super K
 
Posts: 4142
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:After talking to my Cowboys fan buddy, I feel alot better about the Wilcox signing. He badly wanted Dallas to keep him, said that Wilcox flashed finally putting it together last year and that he thinks he's got a chance to fulfill his Pro Bowl potential for us, and is worried Dallas is going to badly miss his enforcer mentality on defence. Said he's surprisingly good in coverage too, his one knock is that he occasionally gets burnt taking poor angles against elite speed guys like Desean and Odell (don't gotta worry about Desean at least lol) but that he was much better last year.


The Cowboys took a rookie and moved him from corner to safety so he could replace Wilcox. That would be like having a TE who's not playing well so you move a WR to the spot.

This might be the dumbest, most casual response I've ever seen you make.
VauntedTampa2
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Super K wrote:
Kress wrote:


Insert picture of a yellow flag.


Exactly what I was thinking..

The Dashon Gholdson (sp) mistake revisited..



Except back the our D line sucked, our corners sucked, and our linebackers sucked too.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 2098
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Swashy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Teitan wrote:
Super K wrote:
Exactly what I was thinking..

The Dashon Gholdson (sp) mistake revisited..



Except back the our D line sucked, our corners sucked, and our linebackers sucked too.


Dude you're not kidding. At last I can use this picture because it describes our defense at the time :extinguishflame:
Swashy
 
Posts: 2337
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:04 pm

VauntedTampa2 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
The Cowboys took a rookie and moved him from corner to safety so he could replace Wilcox. That would be like having a TE who's not playing well so you move a WR to the spot.

This might be the dumbest, most casual response I've ever seen you make.


That doesn't make it any less true. I love how you guys say "Bootz you're wrong" and think that because you said it that makes it true.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 15464
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:This might be the dumbest, most casual response I've ever seen you make.


That doesn't make it any less true. I love how you guys say "Bootz you're wrong" and think that because you said it that makes it true.

So by this logic, the Cowboys must be movingly Jones back to CB now ya?
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 4806
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:After talking to my Cowboys fan buddy, I feel alot better about the Wilcox signing. He badly wanted Dallas to keep him, said that Wilcox flashed finally putting it together last year and that he thinks he's got a chance to fulfill his Pro Bowl potential for us, and is worried Dallas is going to badly miss his enforcer mentality on defence. Said he's surprisingly good in coverage too, his one knock is that he occasionally gets burnt taking poor angles against elite speed guys like Desean and Odell (don't gotta worry about Desean at least lol) but that he was much better last year.


The Cowboys took a rookie and moved him from corner to safety so he could replace Wilcox. That would be like having a TE who's not playing well so you move a WR to the spot.


Tim Wright takes offense at your analogy.
Image
Cheb
 
Posts: 2024
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:00 pm
Location: West Coast
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 185 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:This might be the dumbest, most casual response I've ever seen you make.


That doesn't make it any less true. I love how you guys say "Bootz you're wrong" and think that because you said it that makes it true.

Don't be such an attention whore then. You reap what you sow..
VauntedTampa2
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Kress » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:This might be the dumbest, most casual response I've ever seen you make.


That doesn't make it any less true. I love how you guys say "Bootz you're wrong" and think that because you said it that makes it true.




"You guys?" Racist!

Also, what makes it true is not that people said it. What makes it true is that it's true. You are consistently and persistently wrong.

True.
Image
User avatar
Kress
 
Posts: 2589
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 184 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:41 am

Kress wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
That doesn't make it any less true. I love how you guys say "Bootz you're wrong" and think that because you said it that makes it true.




"You guys?" Racist!

Also, what makes it true is not that people said it. What makes it true is that it's true. You are consistently and persistently wrong.

True.


So Wilcox didn't lose his starting job to Byron Jones? I'm wrong about that??
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 15464
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:16 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Kress wrote:


"You guys?" Racist!

Also, what makes it true is not that people said it. What makes it true is that it's true. You are consistently and persistently wrong.

True.


So Wilcox didn't lose his starting job to Byron Jones? I'm wrong about that??


Let's say you're right, Bootz, and follow through to the logical conclusion. What exactly would that prove besides Byron Jones is better than JJ Wilcox? Who would argue that point? Jones is a stud. I missed where we had our choice of the two of them and we took Wilcox, because I would have rather had Jones. Wilcox is a good player. Jones is a stud. Is that your point, because I'm not clear why the Tampa Bay Buccaneers should care about a guy under contract with the Cowboys for 2 more years.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:59 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
So Wilcox didn't lose his starting job to Byron Jones? I'm wrong about that??


Let's say you're right, Bootz, and follow through to the logical conclusion. What exactly would that prove besides Byron Jones is better than JJ Wilcox? Who would argue that point? Jones is a stud. I missed where we had our choice of the two of them and we took Wilcox, because I would have rather had Jones. Wilcox is a good player. Jones is a stud. Is that your point, because I'm not clear why the Tampa Bay Buccaneers should care about a guy under contract with the Cowboys for 2 more years.


What do you mean "let's say I'm right?" You acknowledge that he indeed lost his starting spot. What is there to debate? And it's not as if he lost that spot to a safety. He was so bad Dallas converted a rookie corner to safety mid season to fill the void. It would be like moving Evans to TE because Brate fell off.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 15464
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Doctor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:39 am

I hate that everyone is making it sound like the FO has moved on from McDougald just because we got Wilcox... like really Litch? Why not both?
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:
Let's say you're right, Bootz, and follow through to the logical conclusion. What exactly would that prove besides Byron Jones is better than JJ Wilcox? Who would argue that point? Jones is a stud. I missed where we had our choice of the two of them and we took Wilcox, because I would have rather had Jones. Wilcox is a good player. Jones is a stud. Is that your point, because I'm not clear why the Tampa Bay Buccaneers should care about a guy under contract with the Cowboys for 2 more years.


What do you mean "let's say I'm right?" You acknowledge that he indeed lost his starting spot. What is there to debate? And it's not as if he lost that spot to a safety. He was so bad Dallas converted a rookie corner to safety mid season to fill the void. It would be like moving Evans to TE because Brate fell off.


Translation - Bootz has no answer but felt the need to post anyway.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:29 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
What do you mean "let's say I'm right?" You acknowledge that he indeed lost his starting spot. What is there to debate? And it's not as if he lost that spot to a safety. He was so bad Dallas converted a rookie corner to safety mid season to fill the void. It would be like moving Evans to TE because Brate fell off.


Translation - Bootz has no answer but felt the need to post anyway.


Are you doubling down on stupid again? You completely dodged my once again SIMPLE question. So JJ Wilcox did not lose his starting job? It's another dumbed down question you should have zero trouble answering. And if you don't want to just say so.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 15464
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 359 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby deltbucs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:
Translation - Bootz has no answer but felt the need to post anyway.


Are you doubling down on stupid again? You completely dodged my once again SIMPLE question. So JJ Wilcox did not lose his starting job? It's another dumbed down question you should have zero trouble answering. And if you don't want to just say so.

Have you ever looked at yourself and realized that most of your waking life consists of finding ways to argue semantics with people you don't even know on the Internet? It's really sad.
Image
deltbucs
 
Posts: 3000
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:28 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 222 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Naismith » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am

https://twitter.com/andy_benoit/status/ ... 3210912769

#Cowboys won’t miss S Wilcox. He had too strong of tendency to be out of position in coverage.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby EcuadorBuc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 am

Why does anyone even argue with bootz?

He argues with himself enough for all of us.
EcuadorBuc
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:06 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Some guy on Twitter says that Byron Jones is bad in coverage. We're screwed.
Image
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Naismith » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 pm

Ken Carson wrote:Some guy on Twitter says that Byron Jones is bad in coverage.


Unless you're referring to a different tweet, you got both parts of this sentence wrong.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 829
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 38 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:19 am

Naismith wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Some guy on Twitter says that Byron Jones is bad in coverage.


Unless you're referring to a different tweet, you got both parts of this sentence wrong.

https://twitter.com/thestephena/status/ ... 7809172481

Like I said... we are screwed.
Image
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:36 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Naismith wrote:
Unless you're referring to a different tweet, you got both parts of this sentence wrong.

https://twitter.com/thestephena/status/ ... 7809172481

Like I said... we are screwed.

ESPN's Jenna Laine reports there's mutual interest between the Bucs and free agent FS J.J. Wilcox.
Safety is a massive weak spot in DC Mike Smith's defense in Tampa Bay, and both of last year's starters Chris Conte and Bradley McDougald are free agents. Wilcox was Pro Football Focus' No. 24 safety out of 91 qualifiers last year, grading out well in coverage and against the run. He's known as a big hitter on the back end. Keith Tandy figures to start at one safety spot for Tampa.

I think the fact that OBP didn't even try to re-sign McDougald to even compete or be in the rotation shows that they fully intend (and are confident) going into this year with a Wilcox/Tandy tandem.
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:27 pm

If you're still talking about JJ Wilcox, you're way behind.
Image
Ken Carson
 
Posts: 1969
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:33 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Buc2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 am

Ken Carson wrote:If you're still talking about JJ Wilcox, you're way behind.


Right? Maybe Doc got caught up in a time warp.
Image
Don't tread on me
User avatar
Buc2
 
Posts: 5979
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:16 pm
Location: America
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:29 am

McDougald said he'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder. Said he played his heart out here and we didn't want him back. I wonder what reasoning they had for not wanting him.
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 2098
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:48 am

Teitan wrote:McDougald said he'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder. Said he played his heart out here and we didn't want him back. I wonder what reasoning they had for not wanting him.

I believe the reason is the team wanted a more physical presence at safety.
Image
real bucs fan
 
Posts: 4806
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:59 pm
Has thanked: 492 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:If you're still talking about JJ Wilcox, you're way behind.


Right? Maybe Doc got caught up in a time warp.

Image
Image
User avatar
Doctor
 
Posts: 3631
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:54 pm
Location: Out of the Office. Will return next Fall.
Has thanked: 164 times
Been thanked: 95 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby UbuntuBuc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:06 am

By the time I get to the end of these threads I am :cussingblack:

It always amazes me how everyone takes issues with opinions of others while allowing no one to take issue with their own.

For the record my mind is not made up on the player, but I always like to read pre-signing and post-singing articles about players to get a 'feel' for what the truth is about a player.

excerpts from 'Either or Neither'
The fact that he is three years younger than Barry Church also has to play in his favor. There is nobody else currently on the defense that brings the physicality or intimidation factor Wilcox does.


As a former undrafted underdog, Church has carved seven successful years out of the NFL and has over 500 tackles in that span. Although he has missed some time due to injuries, he has proven to be reliable and a mentor to younger players on the defense. At only 28, he does have the ability to play another two to three years at a high level and that known commodity could prove to be useful for a team trying to win in a tight window. Church is also willing to play on special teams even though he is a full time starter.


Looks like Wilcox is seen as the better player with more upside, but on a team that has drafted younger players Church is seen as the most able to help the team.

excerpts from 'The Dallas player making Wilcox and Church expendable'
That hunger has helped Heath become better than Jones. First, Heath brings the wood like safety J.J. Wilcox.


Heath is the Cowboys MVP in the secondary. If the Cowboys released Wilcox, Church and Jones we’d be fine. Jeff Heath fills all those shoes but with a shorter broad jump. Laugh now.


Sounds more like the need for a hard hitter was found in a free agent. Sounds like writer believes that free agents 'play hungry' because they realize how easily they can be replaced if they do not work at getting better.

From the vantage point of those two articles I think Wilcox was a good pickup. He needs to work at getting better, but appears to have the tools to do it.
Image
User avatar
UbuntuBuc
 
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:52 pm
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 11 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby The Outsider » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 am

deltbucs wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Are you doubling down on stupid again? You completely dodged my once again SIMPLE question. So JJ Wilcox did not lose his starting job? It's another dumbed down question you should have zero trouble answering. And if you don't want to just say so.

Have you ever looked at yourself and realized that most of your waking life consists of finding ways to argue semantics with people you don't even know on the Internet? It's really sad.



If I had 10 kids on a hair sweeper's wages I'd be looking for ways to numb my brain too.
Image
User avatar
The Outsider
 
Posts: 2004
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:02 pm
Location: Gettin' all up in ya
Has thanked: 26 times
Been thanked: 160 times

Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Buc You » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 am

The Outsider wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Have you ever looked at yourself and realized that most of your waking life consists of finding ways to argue semantics with people you don't even know on the Internet? It's really sad.



If I had 10 kids on a hair sweeper's wages I'd be looking for ways to numb my brain too.

Preferably with a 9mm.
Image
Buc You
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:27 am
Has thanked: 122 times
Been thanked: 58 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Team Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bootz2004, Buc2, Crocaneers, Google [Bot], Mex-Buc, Naismith, real bucs fan, theBKwhopper and 6 guests