Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs sign JJ Wilcox

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Kress wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:After mulling this over, I've concluded that Mike Smith desired more of an intimidation factor from our safeties. If Wilcox can bring one thing to our D, it's a boomstick.

Insert picture of a yellow flag.

Exactly what I was thinking..

The Dashon Gholdson (sp) mistake revisited..
Super K

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:52 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:After talking to my Cowboys fan buddy, I feel alot better about the Wilcox signing. He badly wanted Dallas to keep him, said that Wilcox flashed finally putting it together last year and that he thinks he's got a chance to fulfill his Pro Bowl potential for us, and is worried Dallas is going to badly miss his enforcer mentality on defence. Said he's surprisingly good in coverage too, his one knock is that he occasionally gets burnt taking poor angles against elite speed guys like Desean and Odell (don't gotta worry about Desean at least lol) but that he was much better last year.

The Cowboys took a rookie and moved him from corner to safety so he could replace Wilcox. That would be like having a TE who's not playing well so you move a WR to the spot.

This might be the dumbest, most casual response I've ever seen you make.
VauntedTampa2

Postby Teitan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:54 pm

Super K wrote:
Kress wrote:

Insert picture of a yellow flag.

Except back the our D line sucked, our corners sucked, and our linebackers sucked too.
Teitan

Postby Swashy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Teitan wrote:
Super K wrote:

Except back the our D line sucked, our corners sucked, and our linebackers sucked too.

Dude you're not kidding. At last I can use this picture because it describes our defense at the time :extinguishflame:
Swashy

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:04 pm

VauntedTampa2 wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
The Cowboys took a rookie and moved him from corner to safety so he could replace Wilcox. That would be like having a TE who's not playing well so you move a WR to the spot.

This might be the dumbest, most casual response I've ever seen you make.

That doesn't make it any less true. I love how you guys say "Bootz you're wrong" and think that because you said it that makes it true.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:This might be the dumbest, most casual response I've ever seen you make.

That doesn't make it any less true. I love how you guys say "Bootz you're wrong" and think that because you said it that makes it true.

So by this logic, the Cowboys must be movingly Jones back to CB now ya?
real bucs fan

Postby Cheb » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:After talking to my Cowboys fan buddy, I feel alot better about the Wilcox signing. He badly wanted Dallas to keep him, said that Wilcox flashed finally putting it together last year and that he thinks he's got a chance to fulfill his Pro Bowl potential for us, and is worried Dallas is going to badly miss his enforcer mentality on defence. Said he's surprisingly good in coverage too, his one knock is that he occasionally gets burnt taking poor angles against elite speed guys like Desean and Odell (don't gotta worry about Desean at least lol) but that he was much better last year.

Tim Wright takes offense at your analogy.
Cheb

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
VauntedTampa2 wrote:This might be the dumbest, most casual response I've ever seen you make.

Don't be such an attention whore then. You reap what you sow..
VauntedTampa2

Postby Kress » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

"You guys?" Racist!

Also, what makes it true is not that people said it. What makes it true is that it's true. You are consistently and persistently wrong.

True.
Kress

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:41 am

Kress wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

"You guys?" Racist!

Also, what makes it true is not that people said it. What makes it true is that it's true. You are consistently and persistently wrong.

True.

So Wilcox didn't lose his starting job to Byron Jones? I'm wrong about that??
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:16 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Kress wrote:

"You guys?" Racist!

True.

Let's say you're right, Bootz, and follow through to the logical conclusion. What exactly would that prove besides Byron Jones is better than JJ Wilcox? Who would argue that point? Jones is a stud. I missed where we had our choice of the two of them and we took Wilcox, because I would have rather had Jones. Wilcox is a good player. Jones is a stud. Is that your point, because I'm not clear why the Tampa Bay Buccaneers should care about a guy under contract with the Cowboys for 2 more years.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:59 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Let's say you're right, Bootz, and follow through to the logical conclusion. What exactly would that prove besides Byron Jones is better than JJ Wilcox? Who would argue that point? Jones is a stud. I missed where we had our choice of the two of them and we took Wilcox, because I would have rather had Jones. Wilcox is a good player. Jones is a stud. Is that your point, because I'm not clear why the Tampa Bay Buccaneers should care about a guy under contract with the Cowboys for 2 more years.

What do you mean "let's say I'm right?" You acknowledge that he indeed lost his starting spot. What is there to debate? And it's not as if he lost that spot to a safety. He was so bad Dallas converted a rookie corner to safety mid season to fill the void. It would be like moving Evans to TE because Brate fell off.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:39 am

I hate that everyone is making it sound like the FO has moved on from McDougald just because we got Wilcox... like really Litch? Why not both?
Doctor

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:03 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

What do you mean "let's say I'm right?" You acknowledge that he indeed lost his starting spot. What is there to debate? And it's not as if he lost that spot to a safety. He was so bad Dallas converted a rookie corner to safety mid season to fill the void. It would be like moving Evans to TE because Brate fell off.

Translation - Bootz has no answer but felt the need to post anyway.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:29 am

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Are you doubling down on stupid again? You completely dodged my once again SIMPLE question. So JJ Wilcox did not lose his starting job? It's another dumbed down question you should have zero trouble answering. And if you don't want to just say so.
Bootz2004

Postby deltbucs » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:21 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

Are you doubling down on stupid again? You completely dodged my once again SIMPLE question. So JJ Wilcox did not lose his starting job? It's another dumbed down question you should have zero trouble answering. And if you don't want to just say so.

Have you ever looked at yourself and realized that most of your waking life consists of finding ways to argue semantics with people you don't even know on the Internet? It's really sad.
deltbucs

Postby Naismith » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:28 am

https://twitter.com/andy_benoit/status/ ... 3210912769

#Cowboys won’t miss S Wilcox. He had too strong of tendency to be out of position in coverage.
Naismith

Postby EcuadorBuc » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:58 am

Why does anyone even argue with bootz?

He argues with himself enough for all of us.
EcuadorBuc

Postby Ken Carson » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13 pm

Some guy on Twitter says that Byron Jones is bad in coverage. We're screwed.
Ken Carson

Postby Naismith » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:26 pm

Ken Carson wrote:Some guy on Twitter says that Byron Jones is bad in coverage.

Unless you're referring to a different tweet, you got both parts of this sentence wrong.
Naismith

Postby Ken Carson » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:19 am

Naismith wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:Some guy on Twitter says that Byron Jones is bad in coverage.

Unless you're referring to a different tweet, you got both parts of this sentence wrong.

https://twitter.com/thestephena/status/ ... 7809172481

Like I said... we are screwed.
Ken Carson

Postby Doctor » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:36 am

Ken Carson wrote:
Naismith wrote:

https://twitter.com/thestephena/status/ ... 7809172481

Like I said... we are screwed.

ESPN's Jenna Laine reports there's mutual interest between the Bucs and free agent FS J.J. Wilcox.
Safety is a massive weak spot in DC Mike Smith's defense in Tampa Bay, and both of last year's starters Chris Conte and Bradley McDougald are free agents. Wilcox was Pro Football Focus' No. 24 safety out of 91 qualifiers last year, grading out well in coverage and against the run. He's known as a big hitter on the back end. Keith Tandy figures to start at one safety spot for Tampa.

I think the fact that OBP didn't even try to re-sign McDougald to even compete or be in the rotation shows that they fully intend (and are confident) going into this year with a Wilcox/Tandy tandem.
Doctor

Postby Ken Carson » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:27 pm

If you're still talking about JJ Wilcox, you're way behind.
Ken Carson

Postby Buc2 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:06 am

Ken Carson wrote:If you're still talking about JJ Wilcox, you're way behind.

Right? Maybe Doc got caught up in a time warp.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:29 am

McDougald said he'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder. Said he played his heart out here and we didn't want him back. I wonder what reasoning they had for not wanting him.
Teitan

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:48 am

Teitan wrote:McDougald said he'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder. Said he played his heart out here and we didn't want him back. I wonder what reasoning they had for not wanting him.

I believe the reason is the team wanted a more physical presence at safety.
real bucs fan

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:21 pm

Buc2 wrote:
Ken Carson wrote:If you're still talking about JJ Wilcox, you're way behind.

Right? Maybe Doc got caught up in a time warp.

Doctor

Postby UbuntuBuc » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:06 am

By the time I get to the end of these threads I am :cussingblack:

It always amazes me how everyone takes issues with opinions of others while allowing no one to take issue with their own.

For the record my mind is not made up on the player, but I always like to read pre-signing and post-singing articles about players to get a 'feel' for what the truth is about a player.

excerpts from 'Either or Neither'
The fact that he is three years younger than Barry Church also has to play in his favor. There is nobody else currently on the defense that brings the physicality or intimidation factor Wilcox does.

As a former undrafted underdog, Church has carved seven successful years out of the NFL and has over 500 tackles in that span. Although he has missed some time due to injuries, he has proven to be reliable and a mentor to younger players on the defense. At only 28, he does have the ability to play another two to three years at a high level and that known commodity could prove to be useful for a team trying to win in a tight window. Church is also willing to play on special teams even though he is a full time starter.

Looks like Wilcox is seen as the better player with more upside, but on a team that has drafted younger players Church is seen as the most able to help the team.

excerpts from 'The Dallas player making Wilcox and Church expendable'
That hunger has helped Heath become better than Jones. First, Heath brings the wood like safety J.J. Wilcox.

Heath is the Cowboys MVP in the secondary. If the Cowboys released Wilcox, Church and Jones we’d be fine. Jeff Heath fills all those shoes but with a shorter broad jump. Laugh now.

Sounds more like the need for a hard hitter was found in a free agent. Sounds like writer believes that free agents 'play hungry' because they realize how easily they can be replaced if they do not work at getting better.

From the vantage point of those two articles I think Wilcox was a good pickup. He needs to work at getting better, but appears to have the tools to do it.
UbuntuBuc

Postby The Outsider » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 am

deltbucs wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Have you ever looked at yourself and realized that most of your waking life consists of finding ways to argue semantics with people you don't even know on the Internet? It's really sad.

If I had 10 kids on a hair sweeper's wages I'd be looking for ways to numb my brain too.
The Outsider

Postby Buc You » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 am

The Outsider wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Have you ever looked at yourself and realized that most of your waking life consists of finding ways to argue semantics with people you don't even know on the Internet? It's really sad.

If I had 10 kids on a hair sweeper's wages I'd be looking for ways to numb my brain too.

Preferably with a 9mm.
Buc You

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions