Most optimistic you've been about this franchise since?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Most optimistic you've been about this franchise since?

Postby KiffininCanton » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:16 pm

just asking
KiffininCanton

Re: Most optimistic you've been about this franchise since?

Postby Nano » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:18 pm

2011 when I was still in denial that 2010 wasn't a fluke
Nano

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:19 pm

Nano wrote:2011 when I was still in denial that 2010 wasn't a fluke

/Thread
Mountaineer Buc

Postby LUGZ » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:19 pm

This is the first year where I feel 100% confident that we'll make the playoffs. Barring injury or some other unforeseen situation, there's no excuse or reason whatsoever that we don't make the tournament.

We also don't have any glaring weaknesses on the team anymore. Sure, there are areas that could be tightened up, but that's any team honestly.

After FA and the upcoming draft, this team SHOULD be able to compete with any franchise in the league.

So yea, I guess I'm optimistic.
LUGZ

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:44 pm

Not even then. We still had a porous defense and only one receiver. We were just excited by Freeman and our unexpected chase of the playoffs.

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about Buc Ball since 2003. Obviously this team isn't THAT team, but this team has something no other Bucs team has....a young franchise QB looking to elbow his way onto the big stage with the elite QB's. We have what could be the best WR duo in Bucs history. We have a healthy amount of talent on the Dline, 2 really good LB's, and what should be a good pair of starting CB's. All of this and we still have a loaded draft coming up.

We won 9 games with some big time glaring holes last year. On paper, this team should be far better than that one. We've been burned by promising offseasons before, but it looks like we've done everything right this time....I wish the season started next week.
terrytate

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:45 pm

Cheb

Postby BacksidePursuit » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:47 pm

The Revis offseason.
BacksidePursuit

Postby theBKwhopper » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:02 pm

Since 2003.
theBKwhopper

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:05 pm

BacksidePursuit wrote:The Revis offseason.

Stop it.

But yes..... How long was that Revis thread? **** had to have set the record...
Doctor

Postby Moozician » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:11 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:Since 2003.

Yeah... Wondering if we were dynasty material.
Moozician

Postby Moozician » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:13 pm

LUGZ wrote:This is the first year where I feel 100% confident that we'll make the playoffs. Barring injury or some other unforeseen situation, there's no excuse or reason whatsoever that we don't make the tournament.

We also don't have any glaring weaknesses on the team anymore. Sure, there are areas that could be tightened up, but that's any team honestly.

After FA and the upcoming draft, this team SHOULD be able to compete with any franchise in the league.

Offensively, we look great. The Defense needs work, though. Tired of teams getting 9 yard runs on us.
Moozician

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Moozician wrote:
LUGZ wrote:This is the first year where I feel 100% confident that we'll make the playoffs. Barring injury or some other unforeseen situation, there's no excuse or reason whatsoever that we don't make the tournament.

Offensively, we look great. The Defense needs work, though. Tired of teams getting 9 yard runs on us.

If the defense plays like the second half of last season or improves upon it, they will be just fine. The offense is the unit that struggled.
Teitan

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

/Thread
Super K

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:17 pm

Moozician wrote:

Wow. I'm on the complete other end. I think the defense is what finally clicked and got us our win streak coming on strong at the end. The offense is what worries me.
Doctor

Postby Mex-Buc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:21 pm

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Mex-Buc

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Super K wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:/Thread
beardmcdoug

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:39 pm

The season after we went 10-6 w/ Freeman is probably my answer. But if you were being honest with yourself you knew that season was smoke and mirrors where we got very fortunate with the schedule. The 2016 team would have killed that squad imo.

Anyways, this is definitely the most optimistic time I've been in a long time. With Jameis and some of the pieces on the roster along with the continuity on the FO/Coaching Staff I think we FINALLY have what it takes to make a decent run for the next few years. If Jameis continues to develop into what we all hope he will and becomes a perennial/Elite Top 5 QB than we'll be a threat in the NFC for the next 15 years.
DreadNaught

Postby Nano » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:46 pm

DreadNaught wrote:The season after we went 10-6 w/ Freeman is probably my answer. But if you were being honest with yourself you knew that season was smoke and mirrors where we got very fortunate with the schedule. The 2016 team would have killed that squad imo.

Anyways, this is definitely the most optimistic time I've been in a long time. With Jameis and some of the pieces on the roster along with the continuity on the FO/Coaching Staff I think we FINALLY have what it takes to make a decent run for the next few years. If Jameis continues to develop into what we all hope he will and becomes a perennial/Elite Top 5 QB than we'll be a threat in the NFC for the next 15 years.

Nope

Nano

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:01 pm

Nano wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:The season after we went 10-6 w/ Freeman is probably my answer. But if you were being honest with yourself you knew that season was smoke and mirrors where we got very fortunate with the schedule. The 2016 team would have killed that squad imo.

Nope

lmao.. Fun website..
DreadNaught

Postby BacksidePursuit » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:26 pm

I have faith that we will be a good team. But it's hard to make the NFL playoffs. Especially when you share a division with the reigning conference champions. I know people aren't interested in excuses before the season even starts, but it's entirely possible that we are a better team this year and end up with the same record/out of the playoffs.

It's tough to find 'guaranteed' wins on our schedule.
BacksidePursuit

Postby Wharf Rat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 pm

terrytate wrote:

Not even then. We still had a porous defense and only one receiver. We were just excited by Freeman and our unexpected chase of the playoffs.

Honestly, I haven't been this excited about Buc Ball since 2003. Obviously this team isn't THAT team, but this team has something no other Bucs team has....a young franchise QB looking to elbow his way onto the big stage with the elite QB's. We have what could be the best WR duo in Bucs history. We have a healthy amount of talent on the Dline, 2 really good LB's, and what should be a good pair of starting CB's. All of this and we still have a loaded draft coming up.

We won 9 games with some big time glaring holes last year. On paper, this team should be far better than that one. We've been burned by promising offseasons before, but it looks like we've done everything right this time....I wish the season started next week.

All of this.
Wharf Rat

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:17 am

I'm optimistic every season. What's the point if you're not?

FWIW, with no further information, I would take this current 2017 projected 53 (even before the draft) over any Bucs squad since the 2005 team.
MJW

Postby Corsair » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:15 am

Moozician wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:Since 2003.

Yeah... Wondering if we were dynasty material.

We shut down the Vet and opened up the Linc in week 1 with a shutout... I will admit I was bit hasty with my confidence.
Corsair

Postby Alpha » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:01 am

LUGZ wrote:We also don't have any glaring weaknesses on the team anymore.

Especially at safety...where we have...uh...Tandy...and, uh...yeah...him and...uh...

Oh yeah! CONTY!!!

WOOT!
Alpha

Postby ComingThisFall » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:17 am

Alpha wrote:
LUGZ wrote:We also don't have any glaring weaknesses on the team anymore.

Especially at safety...where we have...uh...Tandy...and, uh...yeah...him and...uh...

Oh yeah! CONTY!!!

WOOT!

And Wilcox
And probably a 1st or 2nd rd pick

If the Dline plays to its potential the Safeties will be ik
ComingThisFall

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:37 pm

BacksidePursuit wrote:The Revis offseason.

I remember being pretty excited about that team. We went 7-9 in 2012 but our offense was one of the best in franchise history, we just had a historically bad secondary so getting a HOFer like Revis on board was a good time to be optimistic. Unfortunately, everything went wrong for us and that 2013 team was one of the most dramatic, disappointing teams in recent Buc history, which is saying a lot.

Also, while I'm optimistic about this season I'm cautiously optimistic because I know we have weaknesses and lack depth.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Super K » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Our depth is much, MUCH improved imo..

TE/WR/RB/CB are the glaring "needs" based on my opinion and what we've heard from OBP...

And if we address them in the draft, we are finally looking solid...
Super K

Postby KiffininCanton » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:54 pm

Amazing the number of false hopes we've had since 03. Like Corsair said, I went into 03 thinking we had a chance for 3 titles in a row (I expected age to start to catch up with us in 05).

One year that hasn't been mentioned yet was going into 06. Most of us expected Clayton would return to rookie form and Simms, Caddy and Clayton were going to be our "big 3" for the next decade.
KiffininCanton

Postby Alpha » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:49 am

ComingThisFall wrote:
Alpha wrote:

Oh yeah! CONTY!!!

WOOT!

And Wilcox
And probably a 1st or 2nd rd pick

If the Dline plays to its potential the Safeties will be ik

You mean the guy who lost his job last year in Dallas? To a rookie? I feel much better about it now.

And "probably" doesn't pay the bills, kid.

We (pretty much) HAVE to draft a safety at some point, considering we have 3 on the roster. Is Vonn Bell still available or do we need to draft another kicker?
Alpha

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:55 am

"He lost his job to Byron Jones" = "He might not be as good as the future Pro Bowler who'll get a 5/60 extension in 2019.

Wilcox can play and he was better than everything we threw out there in 2016.

Wilcox + Tandy, with Conte as the 3rd guy, is a good look. And we got him cheap, just like Chris Baker.

This offseason is win. Embrace the win.
MJW

Next

Return to Team Discussions