Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
post

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:34 am

And my list, with that in mind, would be Cutler, Foles, McGloin, Austin Davis, and Ryan Nassib. But that's MY list. You're welcome to your own. Just don't pretend you can turn injuries off like Madden or some **** and not worry about this.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 6236
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 275 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:29 am

MJW wrote:BTW, a reminder for everyone:

Tom Brady missed 15 1/2 games due to injury in his career.

On one hit. Wiping out basically the entire 2008 season.

No damn reason the same thing couldn't happen to Jameis.

Not preparing for that possibility is the act of a willful idiot.

Think about Jameis getting drilled in the knee in Q2 of the first game of the season. Picture who you'd want coming in to play the next 15+ games.

If you have someone you'd like to see more than anyone else, you get it. If you don't, you're a fool.


Who did Brady have backing him up? A savvy vet with experience winning games? No. He had a 7th round pick with 2 years experience in the offense who had never started. They went on to win 11 games. But Classic MJW you left that part out though. You think obviously then that Belichick acted like a wooful idiot, correct. Now what is Ryan Griffin at this point? An undrafted QB with 2 years in the system.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 17186
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 382 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:42 am

Amazingly the Pats situation even further proves my point..

For as great an organization they are, Brady goes down and there season flops..

Yes they went 11-5 and barely missed the playoffs...but to the Pats and their fans, that means jack ****..

And Bootz is correct, they used a late round draft pick to fill in for Brady, not some overpriced junkyard pile vet..

Lastly, I'm a hit confused MJW...in this thread you rattle off a bunch of vet names to backup JW..but in the college forum, inside the "do we draft a QB threas", you say to draft Josh Dobbs?
Super K
 
Posts: 4744
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:58 am

Super K wrote:Amazingly the Pats situation even further proves my point..

For as great an organization they are, Brady goes down and there season flops..

Yes they went 11-5 and barely missed the playoffs...but to the Pats and their fans, that means jack ****..

And Bootz is correct, they used a late round draft pick to fill in for Brady, not some overpriced junkyard pile vet..

Lastly, I'm a hit confused MJW...in this thread you rattle off a bunch of vet names to backup JW..but in the college forum, inside the "do we draft a QB threas", you say to draft Josh Dobbs?


Why are we even talking about Tom Brady today? He was after all just a 6th round pick backing up a QB who had just signed a 10 year deal.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 17186
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 382 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:48 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:False.. A qb with experience would most likely win more than griffin who has zero. Not rg3...but there's several backups better than griffin


Okay I'm not in favor of spending money on RG3...but your point is absolutely ridiculous. Any other QB with experience can win but not him? I love the contradiction here.


No.. Just saying I don't want anything to do with rg3.. But yes.. He'd win more than our griffin
User avatar
Heisenberg
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:53 am

Bootz2004 wrote:This thread tells me the fan base still isn't there yet. They still have a losing mindset. No way in hell should there be this much discussion about who the backup QB is when we have a QB like Jameis Winston leading the way.


No.. Saying we're Fucked as soon as our starter goes down is a losers mentality. Winners put themselves in the best positions to win.. That includes backup QBs if your starter goes down.
Last edited by Heisenberg on Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Heisenberg
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:55 am

Super K wrote:
Kress wrote:The only reason that this is a thing is because #1 is set. Are we going to talk about drafting a potential franchise? Of course not. We have Winston.

We thus move on to the "what if" scenario because, well, it is important at the qb position, and more important, it's the off-season and what the hell else are we going to do. If Jameis goes down, and which scares me because he takes risks that way, who can keep us afloat? Valid conversation.



I look at it this way Kress...if JW were to "go down" for say, 1-3 games, it's up to Licht and DK to build and develop a "team" that gives us a chance in those games..opposed to having a QB2 whom can come in and win them for us..that's what the good teams in the league do/have going for them...their backups just have to come in and not completely **** the bed/manage the game etc..however you want to put it...

If JW is out for more than 1-3 games, our season is fucked..there is no "keeping us afloat"..

Now, that being said, I think Griffin is trash and I'd rather draft a rookie because our vet options are trash too... (RG3 and Foles included)

So you think our griffin has the same ability to win games filling in as say.. A nick foles?
User avatar
Heisenberg
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 43 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 am

Why even carry a backup really? Waste of roster space if you ask me
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:04 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Why even carry a backup really? Waste of roster space if you ask me


See? This guy's a winner.
PrimeMinister
 
Posts: 5732
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:34 am
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 149 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Swashy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:08 am

Zarniwoop wrote:Why even carry a backup really? Waste of roster space if you ask me


Are you running for president or head coach? Make up your mind homie!
Swashy
 
Posts: 2666
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:21 am

Heisenberg wrote:
Super K wrote:

I look at it this way Kress...if JW were to "go down" for say, 1-3 games, it's up to Licht and DK to build and develop a "team" that gives us a chance in those games..opposed to having a QB2 whom can come in and win them for us..that's what the good teams in the league do/have going for them...their backups just have to come in and not completely **** the bed/manage the game etc..however you want to put it...

If JW is out for more than 1-3 games, our season is fucked..there is no "keeping us afloat"..

Now, that being said, I think Griffin is trash and I'd rather draft a rookie because our vet options are trash too... (RG3 and Foles included)

So you think our griffin has the same ability to win games filling in as say.. A nick foles?


All things considered, bringing in Foles opposed to keeping Griffin is a wash imo...junk for junk..Foles has more experience, but Griffin has been in OUR system for 2 years...Foles will cost more..

JW is out for 3 games...I don't see either of those guys, or the rest of our roster, being able to muscle us to anything better than a 1-2 record..

As I stated in the "should we draft a QB thread" we should draft one...my pick is Jerod Evans...

How horribly bad could the rook do in the above scenerio? Go 0-3? A 1 game difference?

And he (Evans) I think has more upside that both Foles and Griffin...

Draft him...develop him..and then ship him off for picks and start the process again..
Super K
 
Posts: 4744
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:29 am

Here's a nice activity for everyone here and let's see who will do it.

Name the backup QB for every playoff team without looking it up.
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 17186
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 382 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:32 am

Name the long snapper on every playoff team too guys while you are at it


See I just saved us TWO roster spots!!!
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Swashy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:34 am

Foles is the kind of guy the Bucs need. Is he even a good QB? That's debatable. But we can answer the following questions.

1. Has he won games? Yes he's won 20 games.
2. Has he played well at any point in his career? Yes. Years ago when he managed 27 TD's 2 INT's completed 64% of his passes and had a QB rating of 116 in 13 games during the 2013 season. A year in which he was selected to the Pro Bowl in his efforts
3. Has he played well lately? Not really, and because of that, it looks more like Foles was a brief flash in the pan. Not to mention the Rams went with Goff 1st overall and it's likely Foles will be a career backup from now on

Bonus: He DeSean Jackson have played together before

Foles is not the greatest thing in the world. But that's not the point. The point of a backup is to be someone who understands his role and can win games until the starter comes back. We can likely trust him to get the job done if anything happens to Winston because he has had starting responsibilities before.

A player of that caliber makes for an ideal backup.

Edit: I seriously cannot type today
Last edited by Swashy on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Swashy
 
Posts: 2666
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Naismith » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 am

Raiders - McGloin and Connor Cook, but Cook started the playoff game, I believe.
Texans - Savage
Dolphins - Not sure who backed up Matt Moore but he was the backup to Tannehill.
Steelers - Jones
Lions - Not sure.
Seahawks - Boykin?
Giants - Nassib?
Packers - Hundley
Chiefs - Foles
Patriots - JG
Cowboys - Romo/Sanchez
Falcons - Schaub

Not surprisingly, the difficult ones were the teams with QBs that never get hurt.

EDIT: Gah, should have known both Lions backups.
Last edited by Naismith on Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 am

The goal for every team is to win the Super Bowl...

Has a back-up ever taken over due to injury, and proceeded to win the big one?

We aren't winning it with Griffin or Foles, so what are we arguing here exactly?
VauntedTampa2
 
Posts: 577
Joined: Fri May 01, 2015 8:52 pm
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Kress » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:36 am

Super K wrote:
Kress wrote:The only reason that this is a thing is because #1 is set. Are we going to talk about drafting a potential franchise? Of course not. We have Winston.

We thus move on to the "what if" scenario because, well, it is important at the qb position, and more important, it's the off-season and what the hell else are we going to do. If Jameis goes down, and which scares me because he takes risks that way, who can keep us afloat? Valid conversation.



I look at it this way Kress...if JW were to "go down" for say, 1-3 games, it's up to Licht and DK to build and develop a "team" that gives us a chance in those games..opposed to having a QB2 whom can come in and win them for us..that's what the good teams in the league do/have going for them...their backups just have to come in and not completely **** the bed/manage the game etc..however you want to put it...

If JW is out for more than 1-3 games, our season is fucked..there is no "keeping us afloat".




By the way, you agreed with me while feigning to not agree with me. I said keep us afloat. I didn't say light the world on fire and create a dynasty. It can happen (Brady), but that's not realistic. Just keep us afloat for a bit.
Image
User avatar
Kress
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 186 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:38 am

AFC

Pats-Jimmy G

Houston-Savage

Chiefs-??

Steelers-kid from Oklahoma (forget his name)

Dolphins-Moore (started because Tanneyhill was injured)

Raiders-guy from PSU/Cook MS

NFC

Atlanta-??

GB-Hundley

Dallas-Romo

Seattle-??

Detroit-??

NYG-??
Super K
 
Posts: 4744
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Kress » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:44 am

You did better than I would have, but silly exercise. Who cares who the backup is UNLESS it's your team and your starter went down. There is no reason to care otherwise.

That doesn't mean you don't plan for the "just in case" scenario. It actually proves that you are a fool if you don't. I'm still in the MJ W camp on this one.
Image
User avatar
Kress
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 186 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:51 am

Kress wrote:You did better than I would have, but silly exercise. Who cares who the backup is UNLESS it's your team and your starter went down. There is no reason to care otherwise.

That doesn't mean you don't plan for the "just in case" scenario. It actually proves that you are a fool if you don't. I'm still in the MJ W camp on this one.


This fanbase cares way more than they should. Honestly I bet I could count on 1 finger the number of fanbases who have this much discussion about who their backup QB is. People took pride in their belief that Mike Glennon was a top 5 backup. Like wtf does that even mean. Instead of talking about a guy who won't play unless Jameis Winston is hurt or get suspended we should be talking about the steps Jameis needs to take this year and how the addition of Djax will help.

And I'll ask you the same thing I asked her. Do you believe the Patriots were foolish to have Tom Brady and Matt Cassel as their backups at 1 point or another?
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 17186
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 382 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Zarniwoop » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:03 am

VauntedTampa2 wrote:The goal for every team is to win the Super Bowl...

Has a back-up ever taken over due to injury, and proceeded to win the big one?

We aren't winning it with Griffin or Foles, so what are we arguing here exactly?



Backups have led several teams to the game and actually won it.

No one is saying spend $20M a year on a backup, only that there is a difference between backups...some are better than others and it's worth trying to get a good one.

Sadly some people don't seem to understand this very simple idea...get the best you can at every position. I'd hate to work for an organization that does otherwise
Zarniwoop
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 156 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:07 am

Kress wrote:You did better than I would have, but silly exercise. Who cares who the backup is UNLESS it's your team and your starter went down. There is no reason to care otherwise.

That doesn't mean you don't plan for the "just in case" scenario. It actually proves that you are a fool if you don't. I'm still in the MJ W camp on this one.


Just for the record, I'm not saying I don't care and it shouldn't matter..

I actually detailed what I'd do and whom I'd go after above..

But to Bootz's point, backup QB shouldn't be discussed as intensely as who is our starting RB...
Super K
 
Posts: 4744
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:09 am

1997 - Steve Walsh
1999 - Trent Dilfer
2000 - Eric Zeier
2001 - Shuan King
2002 - Rob Johnson
2005 - Brian Griese
2007 - Luke McCown

...but I love back-up QBs.
Image
User avatar
IchabodCrane84
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:29 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Has thanked: 113 times
Been thanked: 276 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:17 am

We have a guy going into his 5th overall season with 2 years already in the system. Someone we felt so strongly about that we kept him as the 3rd QB for 2 seasons straight. What more is there to discuss
User avatar
Bootz2004
 
Posts: 17186
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 95 times
Been thanked: 382 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Swashy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:36 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Kress wrote:You did better than I would have, but silly exercise. Who cares who the backup is UNLESS it's your team and your starter went down. There is no reason to care otherwise.

That doesn't mean you don't plan for the "just in case" scenario. It actually proves that you are a fool if you don't. I'm still in the MJ W camp on this one.


This fanbase cares way more than they should. Honestly I bet I could count on 1 finger the number of fanbases who have this much discussion about who their backup QB is. People took pride in their belief that Mike Glennon was a top 5 backup. Like wtf does that even mean. Instead of talking about a guy who won't play unless Jameis Winston is hurt or get suspended we should be talking about the steps Jameis needs to take this year and how the addition of Djax will help.

And I'll ask you the same thing I asked her. Do you believe the Patriots were foolish to have Tom Brady and Matt Cassel as their backups at 1 point or another?


Bootz, I could give a **** about Mike Glennon. I care and discuss the subject of our backup QB excessively because this is now the 10th year since we made the playoffs. A few months ago I was a little bit skeptical of how the off-season would go because I assumed a guy like D-Jax would not hit the open market. I had a few concerns with our depth at DT. I was concerned with how the offensive line would shake up and since then we've opened ourselves to address the issue in the draft. Over the past few days the Bucs have essentially put all the chips down and said, "all in" when 2 years ago we were 6-6 and finished 6-10 -a price Lovie Smith paid with his head. Last year year where we were 8-5 and managed only 9-7.

Our organization obviously feels it's playoffs or bust this year. That the next step MUST be taken now. I'd consider myself a very patient person. But even now I've grown sick and tired of waiting. And what I have gone through now is a second coming of failure after failure that has nearly matched the duration of 1983 to 1996. It's a second era of mediocrity. When I was younger I used to say, "Man I hope I never go through that!" well guess what? I'm damn near 30 and I essentially almost have.

The rebuild was supposed to last from 2009 to 2012 -which was/is an acceptable amount of time in my opinion. But instead every single thing that could possibly go wrong did and every single player not named Martin, David, Jackson and McCoy went out the door because THEY were the only thing this organization managed to do right in that time. Josh Freeman developed a drug habit, our entire WR corps busted, our d-line needed to be rebuilt and suddenly a revamped backfield with Darrelle Revis as its cornerstone was blown up. Now suddenly guys like Gerald McCoy are pushing 30 damn years old and NOTHING we have done has worked.

But lucky for us something amazing happened. As if God himself intervened and said, "They have suffered enough" we endured a 2-14 season and finally..... FINALLY got a franchise QB. A born winner, a national champion who didn't lose until his last game. A Heisman winner and perhaps the best QB prospect since Andrew Luck a few years prior. And since then it seems everything that could go right has. Our defense woke up after the bye week and suddenly we played like it was the year 2005. Almost seemingly by accident we discovered perhaps the best #3 option we've had since Ike Hilliard in Humphries. We found a head coach our guys would take a bullet for when just months prior they were putting out angry tweets about Smith being fired. 9-7 had never felt so good.

Other organizations don't have to worry about their backup because they have had success. They can afford to say, "Hey we've got next year. Don't worry about it" because they KNOW they've got an 11 win football team. We don't know what that's like much less even know if we have an 11 win team. Now do we have one on paper? If we have a strong draft and shore up the offensive line and secondary I'd say absolutely. But the only way to have a playoff team is by actually making the damn playoffs.

Now after ALL this. After all the time I've taken to write this. I am NOT going to see all that progress sabotaged and I look to the sky with my head up saying, "Oh shucks! Maybe next year!!" because Jameis Winston goes down with an injury and we channel our inner 2011 Colts and damn near pull off 0-16 because don't have anything better than a warm body at QB since we "Don't have time to practice fucked" like they didn't.

So unfortunately for me... I care very much who my back up is because I am NOT waiting anymore because the Bucs don't feel it necessary to take every possible measure to make the playoffs.
Swashy
 
Posts: 2666
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:11 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 78 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:56 am

Swashy...again, I get what you are saying...and I love the "never say die", "fight to my last breath", "William Wallace" outlook you describe..

But in the situation you describe, where JW goes down for the season or majority of it...WE..ARE..FUCKED...

Unless, of course, you'd want Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr to come here and backup JW..

The drop off from franchise guy to backup is way TOO insurmountable...

Even for teams, like you described, that are consistent, good franchises..

The biggest example of this is New England...

Brady goes down..they insert Cassell...and with all the coaching advantages, player development and consistency they have, the didn't even make the playoffs...

When/who was the last team that made the playoffs after losing their franchise guy for a MAJORITY of the season?

Those situations are exceptions to the rule...an albatross if you will..

Or, they are situations where the backup was really better than the starter (Rams - Green/Warner)..

Do you think we will find a backup whom is better than JW? Are one of these journeyman, trash, dumpster vets better than JW?

I applaud you for your attitude, but just know as you "run into battle" in this situation, we aren't coming out alive/in the playoffs...
Super K
 
Posts: 4744
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Naismith » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:04 pm

Kurt Warner actually did it twice, taking over for starter Matt Leinart in 2007 due to ineffectiveness.

I mentioned this earlier, but I think a lot of people are misunderstanding where the value in a good backup is. Yeah, if your starter goes out for the year, it'd be nice to still have a puncher's chance, but the backup's real value is in filling in for a few games when necessary and not automatically writing in an "L" for those games.
User avatar
Naismith
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:51 pm
Has thanked: 44 times
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Kress » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:23 pm

Super K wrote:Swashy...again, I get what you are saying...and I love the "never say die", "fight to my last breath", "William Wallace" outlook you describe..

But in the situation you describe, where JW goes down for the season or majority of it...WE..ARE..FUCKED...

Unless, of course, you'd want Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr to come here and backup JW..

The drop off from franchise guy to backup is way TOO insurmountable...

Even for teams, like you described, that are consistent, good franchises..

The biggest example of this is New England...

Brady goes down..they insert Cassell...and with all the coaching advantages, player development and consistency they have, the didn't even make the playoffs...

When/who was the last team that made the playoffs after losing their franchise guy for a MAJORITY of the season?

Those situations are exceptions to the rule...an albatross if you will..

Or, they are situations where the backup was really better than the starter (Rams - Green/Warner)..

Do you think we will find a backup whom is better than JW? Are one of these journeyman, trash, dumpster vets better than JW?

I applaud you for your attitude, but just know as you "run into battle" in this situation, we aren't coming out alive/in the playoffs...



What conversation are you having? Nobody is talking about a heir apparent. There's no majority of the season talk, outside of you trying to prove a point that no one has disputed. We're just talking about a backup qb dude. Yes, just a few games. Dial it back in.
Image
User avatar
Kress
 
Posts: 2713
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:26 pm
Has thanked: 21 times
Been thanked: 186 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Super K » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:13 pm

Kress wrote:
Super K wrote:Swashy...again, I get what you are saying...and I love the "never say die", "fight to my last breath", "William Wallace" outlook you describe..

But in the situation you describe, where JW goes down for the season or majority of it...WE..ARE..FUCKED...

Unless, of course, you'd want Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr to come here and backup JW..

The drop off from franchise guy to backup is way TOO insurmountable...

Even for teams, like you described, that are consistent, good franchises..

The biggest example of this is New England...

Brady goes down..they insert Cassell...and with all the coaching advantages, player development and consistency they have, the didn't even make the playoffs...

When/who was the last team that made the playoffs after losing their franchise guy for a MAJORITY of the season?

Those situations are exceptions to the rule...an albatross if you will..

Or, they are situations where the backup was really better than the starter (Rams - Green/Warner)..

Do you think we will find a backup whom is better than JW? Are one of these journeyman, trash, dumpster vets better than JW?

I applaud you for your attitude, but just know as you "run into battle" in this situation, we aren't coming out alive/in the playoffs...



What conversation are you having? Nobody is talking about a heir apparent. There's no majority of the season talk, outside of you trying to prove a point that no one has disputed. We're just talking about a backup qb dude. Yes, just a few games. Dial it back in.



I was replying specifically to Swashy, didn't quote him so much overall post wasn't 2 screens long...

And there is nothing to dial back, I'm all good...I'm completely content to draft a guy or roll with Griffin opposed to bringing in Foles, Cutler etc..
Super K
 
Posts: 4744
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:32 pm

Don't know what's so hard to grasp having a QB who's won some games is a safer bet than one who hasn't played any. We aren't talking Superbowl..got a ways to go before were close to contenders.. So Idk why that was mentioned..

Scenerio..were 8-5, Jameis goes down for 3 games.. 2 wins were in the playoffs... If you had to bet who would have a better chance of not ****ing up and win 2 games.. Foles/ vet with experience.. Or someone who's never seen a meaningful snap..hmm
User avatar
Heisenberg
 
Posts: 3084
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:13 pm
Has thanked: 5 times
Been thanked: 43 times

PreviousNext

post

Return to Team Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: .irishHITMAN4rent, Agent Orange, BacksidePursuit, bahamian:bucfan, Baidu [Spider], BayAreaBucFan25, billsfan1212, Bing [Bot], Bootz2004, Bucs2theSB, Cheb, Cream Sickle, DanTurksGhost, dcbucsfan, Deja Entendu, DominatingD55, doooshnzl, Heidguy, ImAWalkingCorpse, Konatown, LeeroyBuc93, mdb1958, Miller4Prez64, Moozician, murdock, Naismith, Nano, Pirate Life, real bucs fan, Seamen, Super K, tjax03, Truebuc and 56 guests