Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:59 pm

Heisenberg wrote:Don't know what's so hard to grasp having a QB who's won some games is a safer bet than one who hasn't played any. We aren't talking Superbowl..got a ways to go before were close to contenders.. So Idk why that was mentioned..

Scenerio..were 8-5, Jameis goes down for 3 games.. 2 wins were in the playoffs... If you had to bet who would have a better chance of not ****ing up and win 2 games.. Foles/ vet with experience.. Or someone who's never seen a meaningful snap..hmm

That's exactly my point. Look at Big Ben, who Winston is often compared to. He's been to three Super Bowls. In two of those three Super Bowl seasons, he missed 4 games each. They had backups they could win with, were able to take most of those games without Ben and kept their postseason intact with home games and a bye. Compare that to the Packers, who had just let Matt Flynn walk. They were 5-2 and rolling, then Aaron Rodgers breaks his collarbone. They promptly lost 5 in a row, finishing the year at 8-7-1 and barely squeaking into the playoffs by virtue of the NFC north being terrible. They had to play in Frisco, who was still good back then, and got drummed out. If that team had a quality backup, they would have a shot in the games without Rodgers. If they could go .500 without Rodgers, they would have had a 11-13 win season, home playoff games and possibly a bye too.

In short, I don't consider the backup to be a season saver if Winston goes down for the year. I look at the backup as a guy who can save a season if you've built a contender but lose your starter for 2-6 games. You can salvage postseason positioning and hopefully still be in a good spot when your guy comes back and you play the games that really matter.
terrytate

Postby Cheb » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:59 pm

Backups and depth are important at all positions in all team sports.

You people.
Cheb

Postby Bootz2004 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:20 pm

Cheb wrote:Backups and depth are important at all positions in all team sports.

You people.

Hmmmmmm. Thanks
Bootz2004

Postby Swashy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:26 pm

Super K wrote:Swashy...again, I get what you are saying...and I love the "never say die", "fight to my last breath", "William Wallace" outlook you describe..

But in the situation you describe, where JW goes down for the season or majority of it...WE..ARE..FUCKED...

Unless, of course, you'd want Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr to come here and backup JW..

The drop off from franchise guy to backup is way TOO insurmountable...

Even for teams, like you described, that are consistent, good franchises..

The biggest example of this is New England...

Brady goes down..they insert Cassell...and with all the coaching advantages, player development and consistency they have, the didn't even make the playoffs...

When/who was the last team that made the playoffs after losing their franchise guy for a MAJORITY of the season?

Those situations are exceptions to the rule...an albatross if you will..

Or, they are situations where the backup was really better than the starter (Rams - Green/Warner)..

Do you think we will find a backup whom is better than JW? Are one of these journeyman, trash, dumpster vets better than JW?

I applaud you for your attitude, but just know as you "run into battle" in this situation, we aren't coming out alive/in the playoffs...

I'm not expecting to still make the playoffs if Winston misses the majority of the season. That's just not gonna happen. The advent of Matt Cassel carrying the Pats the way he did is something we will probably never see again. You're absolutely right that the drop between starter and backup is insurmountable. Effectively the longer it goes the greater the disadvantage.

We lose Winston in week 4 for a blown ACL our season is D-O-N-E. There's just no way around it

But a short term injury for a few weeks? That's doable.

In a plausible scenario we're sitting at 10-4 after Winston suffers an injury in week 15. Now it's time for Ryan Griffin to take over. Well it just so happens we lose both our games due to the lack of an effective passing attack and being forced to double down on the run game. We not only finish 10-6, but we lose a tie breaker. No playoffs for the Bucs and here we are ripping out our hair because it's been 10 years since our last trip to the post season. Had we won our remaining games we would've gone 12-4, won the division, secured a bye week and enough time for Winston to come back for the playoffs. A win at all and we are in the playoffs. From that point on anything can happen.

I know I'm shooting **** here but sometimes all it comes down to something like that. And after almost 10 years of waiting to see playoff football I'm not willing to hinge next season's hopes on Winston being Superman and never missing a game like he's Brett Favre and we can't count on our backup to win us a single game that could mean the difference between a playoff berth or just another season watching someone else win the Lombardi instead.

I spoke my peace enough and for now I will continue to hope we sign someone who can at least half ass it if Winston is out.
Swashy

Postby terrytate » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Swashy wrote:
Super K wrote:Swashy...again, I get what you are saying...and I love the "never say die", "fight to my last breath", "William Wallace" outlook you describe..

But in the situation you describe, where JW goes down for the season or majority of it...WE..ARE..FUCKED...

Unless, of course, you'd want Aaron Rodgers or Derek Carr to come here and backup JW..

Brady goes down..they insert Cassell...and with all the coaching advantages, player development and consistency they have, the didn't even make the playoffs...

When/who was the last team that made the playoffs after losing their franchise guy for a MAJORITY of the season?

Or, they are situations where the backup was really better than the starter (Rams - Green/Warner)..

Do you think we will find a backup whom is better than JW? Are one of these journeyman, trash, dumpster vets better than JW?

I applaud you for your attitude, but just know as you "run into battle" in this situation, we aren't coming out alive/in the playoffs...

I'm not expecting to still make the playoffs if Winston misses the majority of the season. That's just not gonna happen. The advent of Matt Cassel carrying the Pats the way he did is something we will probably never see again. You're absolutely right that the drop between starter and backup is insurmountable. Effectively the longer it goes the greater the disadvantage.

That is just part of the Belichick legend. Tricky Bill just does things no one else can do. "The Patriots did it" is rarely a good argument because unless you happen to have a Bill Belichick wearing the headset, it's often irrelevant.
terrytate

Postby Swashy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:38 pm

terrytate wrote:
Swashy wrote:

That is just part of the Belichick legend. Tricky Bill just does things no one else can do. "The Patriots did it" is rarely a good argument because unless you happen to have a Bill Belichick wearing the headset, it's often irrelevant.

Oh I agree. I think you might have found a better way to say what I was trying to so I'll give my thanks on that. I'm well aware that if Winston goes down we're in trouble. But if it's for a short period then it's best we come prepared.
Swashy

Postby Heisenberg » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:35 pm

Swashy wrote:

We lose Winston in week 4 for a blown ACL our season is D-O-N-E. There's just no way around it

In a plausible scenario we're sitting at 10-4 after Winston suffers an injury in week 15. Now it's time for Ryan Griffin to take over. Well it just so happens we lose both our games due to the lack of an effective passing attack and being forced to double down on the run game. We not only finish 10-6, but we lose a tie breaker. No playoffs for the Bucs and here we are ripping out our hair because it's been 10 years since our last trip to the post season. Had we won our remaining games we would've gone 12-4, won the division, secured a bye week and enough time for Winston to come back for the playoffs. A win at all and we are in the playoffs. From that point on anything can happen.

I know I'm shooting **** here but sometimes all it comes down to something like that. And after almost 10 years of waiting to see playoff football I'm not willing to hinge next season's hopes on Winston being Superman and never missing a game like he's Brett Favre and we can't count on our backup to win us a single game that could mean the difference between a playoff berth or just another season watching someone else win the Lombardi instead.

I spoke my peace enough and for now I will continue to hope we sign someone who can at least half ass it if Winston is out.

It's crazy people can't comprehend this..
Heisenberg

Postby ComingThisFall » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:57 pm

I have to side with those who want a veteran backup at QB. Someone like Fitzpatrick is less likely to **** the bed in a spot start than Griffen. We are talking RoboSack over Shaun King.

Griffen does have that boom potential though. He could come in and you know, throw for 6 TDs. Not likely but he is an unknown commdity. Wouldn't have minded at all having him as backup last year when expectations weren't so high
ComingThisFall

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:20 pm

I'm wondering if the "Backups don't matter" crowd can tell us what Jeff Hostetler, Earl Morrall, Roger Staubach, Jim Plunkett, and even Tom Brady have in common?

Saying, "Backups don't matter" is the mantra of a loser fan. He's saying that we're not good enough to win any games without one specific player in the lineup. That's loser talk.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:23 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
Swashy wrote:

It's crazy people think that if Jameis goes down, there's absolutely no difference whatsoever between winning 4-5 games with Ryan Griffin, or 8-9 games with someone like Jay Cutler.

If people really believe Jameis is the only thing keeping us from bottoming out, no matter who else we have at QB, then why the **** are you cheering about Desean Jackson and Chris Baker and JJ Wilcox? Why should we pay Mike Evans for that matter? What's the difference?
MJW

Postby ImAWalkingCorpse » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:48 pm

MJW wrote:I'm wondering if the "Backups don't matter" crowd can tell us what Jeff Hostetler, Earl Morrall, Roger Staubach, Jim Plunkett, and even Tom Brady have in common?

Saying, "Backups don't matter" is the mantra of a loser fan. He's saying that we're not good enough to win any games without one specific player in the lineup. That's loser talk.

What backup QB available that you believe could win more than 5 games over an entire season?
ImAWalkingCorpse

Postby Deja Entendu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:54 pm

MJW wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

It's crazy people think that if Jameis goes down, there's absolutely no difference whatsoever between winning 4-5 games with Ryan Griffin, or 8-9 games with someone like Jay Cutler.

If people really believe Jameis is the only thing keeping us from bottoming out, no matter who else we have at QB, then why the **** are you cheering about Desean Jackson and Chris Baker and JJ Wilcox? Why should we pay Mike Evans for that matter? What's the difference?

I agree completely with the sentiment, but need to point out it's a terrible example; Jay Cutler, specifically, isn't winning us 8-9 games.
Deja Entendu

Postby DreadNaught » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:57 pm

#BackupQBlivesmatter

I agree MJW. We have a solid roster and need to win games with out back up QB should the situation present itself. None of us have seen anything from Ryan Griffen other than him throwing passes to future security guards and used car salesmen in the 4th qtr of a meaningless August preseason game.

Are we ready to just hand the back up QB job to him with no real competition? I'm all for signing a vet to compete in camp. If Griffen beats him out that is great. Atleast he will have earned it and won the job.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Deja Entendu wrote:
MJW wrote:

I agree completely with the sentiment, but need to point out it's a terrible example; Jay Cutler, specifically, isn't winning us 8-9 games.

I respectfully disagree that this could happen. You can't win a Superbowl with Jay Cutler. You're still talking about a career 62% passer who averaged 7.2 YPA in his career despite having a worse OL and skill position talent than we do right now almost every year. The two times he had some talented to work with, he won 10 games.

Jay Cutler hating is a thing, and I get it. The Bears overpaid for him, then they overpaid him, then we all think of him throwing picks and pouting. But the narrative that he was some horrid QB who couldn't play is nonsense. Guy had a lot of big moments in Chicago, including 25 game winning 4th quarter drives and a playoff win.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:08 pm

DreadNaught wrote:#BackupQBlivesmatter

I agree MJW. We have a solid roster and need to win games with out back up QB should the situation present itself. None of us have seen anything from Ryan Griffen other than him throwing passes to future security guards and used car salesmen in the 4th qtr of a meaningless August preseason game.

Are we ready to just hand the back up QB job to him with no real competition? I'm all for signing a vet to compete in camp. If Griffen beats him out that is great. Atleast he will have earned it and won the job.

It's pretty apparent from the preseason than RGI, as I shall call him, is not an accurate enough passer.

Not bringing in a backup because "Oh well" is a terrible idea.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:10 pm

ImAWalkingCorpse wrote:
MJW wrote:I'm wondering if the "Backups don't matter" crowd can tell us what Jeff Hostetler, Earl Morrall, Roger Staubach, Jim Plunkett, and even Tom Brady have in common?

What backup QB available that you believe could win more than 5 games over an entire season?

Not Ryan Griffin, and that's my point. OBP knows that much. From there you study. I sure as heck didn't see Dak Prescott or Trevor Siemien or Brian Hoyer etc playing as well as they did for their teams. Unless OBP disagrees with me about Griffin - and they shouldn't - they need to find this guy.
MJW

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:46 am

Kid was struggling vs backups.. If Winston goes down the seasons automatically over.. If we have a legit backup.. It's not.
Heisenberg

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:59 am

Heisenberg wrote:Kid was struggling vs backups.. If Winston goes down the seasons automatically over.. If we have a legit backup.. It's not.

Horseshit...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:09 am

MJW wrote:
ImAWalkingCorpse wrote:What backup QB available that you believe could win more than 5 games over an entire season?

Not Ryan Griffin, and that's my point. OBP knows that much. From there you study. I sure as heck didn't see Dak Prescott or Trevor Siemien or Brian Hoyer etc playing as well as they did for their teams. Unless OBP disagrees with me about Griffin - and they shouldn't - they need to find this guy.

Why shouldn't they disagree with you? Because you say so? Please. What makes Griffin from a Hoyer or Siemien or Prescott orMatt Cassel or Tom Brady? Were their teams "woeful idiots" for having these guys as direct backups?
Bootz2004

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 am

Heisenberg wrote:Kid was struggling vs backups.. If Winston goes down the seasons automatically over.. If we have a legit backup.. It's not.

What the hell is a legit backup? To me that means a guy who on his best day should never be starting even if a starter gets hurt.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:22 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

What the hell is a legit backup? To me that means a guy who on his best day should never be starting even if a starter gets hurt.

Steve Young = Legit Back-up :D
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:27 am

What I find funny is that after searching damn near 30 years for a franchise QB because one is needed so badly, grabbing another QB to be his backup and who has the ability to win 8-10 games is talked about and looked at as being easy..

We need to find/decide on a guy who can go 2-2 if JW were to miss a chunk of the season..

We aren't finding ANYONE who will lead us to 8,9,10 wins and keep our season alive..

And the Cutler talk? He was destroyed around here while he was QB for the Bears...but now that he is available, he'd be a great backup? Why, the ****, would anyone want his sulking, unprofessional ass around here in the 1st place?

If he was so damn good Chicago wouldn't have let him walk and paid $15mill to a guy who hasn't taken a meaningful snap in 2 years..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:33 am

Super K wrote:What I find funny is that after searching damn near 30 years for a franchise QB because one is needed so badly, grabbing another QB to be his backup and who has the ability to win 8-10 games is talked about and looked at as being easy..

We need to find/decide on a guy who can go 2-2 if JW were to miss a chunk of the season..

We aren't finding ANYONE who will lead us to 8,9,10 wins and keep our season alive..

And the Cutler talk? He was destroyed around here while he was QB for the Bears...but now that he is available, he'd be a great backup? Why, the ****, would anyone want his sulking, unprofessional ass around here in the 1st place?

If he was so damn good Chicago wouldn't have let him walk and paid $15mill to a guy who hasn't taken a meaningful snap in 2 years..

The majority of this fanbase is mentally held down by the pisspoor history. We've never had a legitimate franchise QB so they are preparing themselves for his injury and hope we have a "legit" backup of equal talent to come in and play. At this point it's desperation. RG3, Cutler, these guys like you said were destroyed around here. Now we need them to win games when Winston gets hurt. I think that's the part that sticks out to me. The fact that the "we need a top 1 backup" crowd speaks about injury to Jameis Winston as an inevitable. Question for that crowd: which one of these guys did not miss a game to injury last season? Jameis Winston, Jay Cutler, RG3? I'll wait....
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:38 am

Super K wrote:What I find funny is that after searching damn near 30 years for a franchise QB because one is needed so badly, grabbing another QB to be his backup and who has the ability to win 8-10 games is talked about and looked at as being easy..

Do you trust Ryan Griffen to go 2-2? Or would you trust a vet QB more?
PrimeMinister

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:42 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

Griffin's been in the league for 4 years....Is he not a vet?
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:46 am

PrimeMinister wrote:

Griffen..

Why? Because the guy has been with us 2 years now..in meeting rooms, at practice learning the nuances of our offense and our terminology...

I'd also draft another guy this year to continue that process...jettison Griffen when the time is right...rinse and repeat..
Super K

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:53 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

Someone that's filled in and won games. What backups are for.
Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:

Griffin's been in the league for 4 years....Is he not a vet?

A vet.. With zero game experience.. Ya that's gonna go well.
Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:58 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

The majority of this fanbase is mentally held down by the pisspoor history. We've never had a legitimate franchise QB so they are preparing themselves for his injury and hope we have a "legit" backup of equal talent to come in and play. At this point it's desperation. RG3, Cutler, these guys like you said were destroyed around here. Now we need them to win games when Winston gets hurt. I think that's the part that sticks out to me. The fact that the "we need a top 1 backup" crowd speaks about injury to Jameis Winston as an inevitable. Question for that crowd: which one of these guys did not miss a game to injury last season? Jameis Winston, Jay Cutler, RG3? I'll wait....

Literally no one has said of equal talent or even close. Everyone said they expect the backup to be able to Win 2 or 3 games.. Hows that equal talent to Winston? You're reading comprehension blows.
Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:02 pm

Super K wrote:

Horseshit...

Explain.. And I'm talking about like 3 games here.. Not half the season or anything.. Griffin would likely go winless.. Our D may win one for him.. While we seen someone like foles actually win games.
Heisenberg

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions