Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Browns to release Robert Griffin III

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
Super K wrote:

Horseshit...

Explain.. And I'm talking about like 3 games here.. Not half the season or anything.. Griffin would likely go winless.. Our D may win one for him.. While we seen someone like foles actually win games.

Based on what? Because you haven't seen it happen before? Every QB who's successful had to win their 1st game. If your logic is that Griffin will never win 1 then, you believe that no QB will ever win a game.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm

I just want some real competition for Griffen this offseason/TC for the back-up job. Given his experience the past 2 years w/ Dirk he should have no problem beating out a vet. But I don't want Griffen to be given the job just b/c he's been here.

Unfortunately a Vet will want some form of guaranteed money to sign here, and if the Bucs are confident that Griffen will win the back-up job they could be hesitant to provide that unless it's in the form of a roster bonus.
DreadNaught

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:22 pm

I'm not against Griffin having to compete for the job, but clearly Dirk sees something in the kid to keep him on the 53 man roster for two years holding a clipboard in street clothes. He's been grooming him for this moment when Glennon leaves, so let's give the kid a chance.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
Super K wrote:

Horseshit...

Explain.. And I'm talking about like 3 games here.. Not half the season or anything.. Griffin would likely go winless.. Our D may win one for him.. While we seen someone like foles actually win games.

Well with that clarification in your current post, it changes my answer a bit..

In your previous post you said "if Winston's goes down..etc etc" which I read as down/out for the season, or at least a majority of it..hence my "horseshit" reply...

Because no backup, outside of Carr, Mariota, Big Ben etc, is keeping us on track..

My bad/mistake for assuming...

In, at most, a 4 game absence for JW, I still disagree that any available "vet" gives a a better chance than Griffin...

And I'd still like us to draft someone too..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
The majority of this fanbase is mentally held down by the pisspoor history. We've never had a legitimate franchise QB so they are preparing themselves for his injury and hope we have a "legit" backup of equal talent to come in and play. At this point it's desperation. RG3, Cutler, these guys like you said were destroyed around here. Now we need them to win games when Winston gets hurt. I think that's the part that sticks out to me. The fact that the "we need a top 1 backup" crowd speaks about injury to Jameis Winston as an inevitable. Question for that crowd: which one of these guys did not miss a game to injury last season? Jameis Winston, Jay Cutler, RG3? I'll wait....

Literally no one has said of equal talent or even close. Everyone said they expect the backup to be able to Win 2 or 3 games.. Hows that equal talent to Winston? You're reading comprehension blows.

You're talking about a QB with the ability to win what, 75% of the games ge plays in? That's what 3 wins is if you're talking about Winston missing 4 games.
Bootz2004

Postby terrytate » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Super K wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:Explain.. And I'm talking about like 3 games here.. Not half the season or anything.. Griffin would likely go winless.. Our D may win one for him.. While we seen someone like foles actually win games.

In your previous post you said "if Winston's goes down..etc etc" which I read as down/out for the season, or at least a majority of it..hence my "horseshit" reply...

Because no backup, outside of Carr, Mariota, Big Ben etc, is keeping us on track..

In, at most, a 4 game absence for JW, I still disagree that any available "vet" gives a a better chance than Griffin...

This is just a difference of opinion. I prefer a vet as backup because I believe a vet is better equipped to step in while having limited snaps in practice. That assumes that there is a vet to be had though. We can't all have Matt Hasselbeck as the backup like the Colts did a few years ago.
terrytate

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:58 pm

terrytate wrote:
Super K wrote:

This is just a difference of opinion. I prefer a vet as backup because I believe a vet is better equipped to step in while having limited snaps in practice. That assumes that there is a vet to be had though. We can't all have Matt Hasselbeck as the backup like the Colts did a few years ago.

Exactly...difference of opinion.

I appreciate that you can see this and we can communicate amicably about it..

Thank you for not reading into my thoughts as we shouldn't have a backup at all..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:13 pm

Super K wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:Explain.. And I'm talking about like 3 games here.. Not half the season or anything.. Griffin would likely go winless.. Our D may win one for him.. While we seen someone like foles actually win games.

If we do pick up someone I'd like a draftee also. Younger, cheaper, under team control for 4 years.
Bootz2004

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:31 pm

Super K wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:
Do you trust Ryan Griffen to go 2-2? Or would you trust a vet QB more?

Griffen..

Why? Because the guy has been with us 2 years now..in meeting rooms, at practice learning the nuances of our offense and our terminology...

I'd also draft another guy this year to continue that process...jettison Griffen when the time is right...rinse and repeat..

Then you keep him and if OBP agrees they should keep Griffen. This "can the backup win 8+ games" talk is ridiculous. If Winston is out that long we are a top 10 draft pick anyway. This 1-4 game scenario is where Griffen might be able to keep the ship upright until the captain returns.
PrimeMinister

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:48 pm

His horrible play against scrubs says otherwise
Heisenberg

Postby Heisenberg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:50 pm

Super K wrote:

Drafting someone's fine too.. Ateast he'd have competition.. Simply just going in with a QB with zero experience as you're only fallback is just plain dumb.
Heisenberg

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:09 pm

Heisenberg wrote:
Super K wrote:

Drafting someone's fine too.. Ateast he'd have competition.. Simply just going in with a QB with zero experience as you're only fallback is just plain dumb.

So you're saying starting a rookie QB period is plain dumb, right?
Bootz2004

Postby Kress » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:25 am

Heisenberg wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
Griffin's been in the league for 4 years....Is he not a vet?

A vet.. With zero game experience.. Ya that's gonna go well.

This is the elephant in the room. 4 years in the league. 0 snaps. Ever.

Why might that be?
Kress

Postby MJW » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:28 am

Kress wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:A vet.. With zero game experience.. Ya that's gonna go well.

Why might that be?

The late, great Sam Kinnison had a joke during the first Iraq war. He said that, "The Iraq army has SCUD missiles. They're powerful but you have no idea where they're going to land. The Iraqis fire them out of the trunk of a car and then go home and turn on CNN to see if they actually hit anything."

Ryan Griffin is SCUD Missile accurate.
MJW

Postby Super K » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:21 am

Kress wrote:

Why might that be?

Wasn't he deemed a developmental guy coming into the league?

He then went to New Orleans where he backed up Drew Brees, and then came to us where he backs up JW..

Why would he get meaningful snaps?

The other "vets" mentioned got their share of meaningful snaps and did so well with them that they now got kicked to the curb from their 2nd or 3rd teams...I'm not seeing the upside here...
Super K

Postby BucaRican » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:42 am

Cheb wrote:Backups and depth are important at all positions in all team sports.

You people.

What do you mean "YOU PEOPLE"?

Can someone please provide me a NFL highlight reel of Ryan Griffin because when I google his name all I get are these negative Pre-Season highlights against 4 stringers:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000688498/Josh-Johnson-picks-of-Ryan-Griffin-for-TD

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000683959/C-J-Smith-picks-off-Ryan-Griffin-in-the-end-zone
BucaRican

Postby NYBF » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:13 am

Kress wrote:

Why might that be?

Secret weapon. It's not the right time to spring him on the league yet.
NYBF

Postby Caradoc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:41 pm

Griffin sucks. He looked like hot garbage in the fourth quarter os preseason games. He wont win anything. We need a better plan there.
Caradoc

Postby Selmon Rules » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:03 am

Caradoc wrote:Griffin sucks. He looked like hot garbage in the fourth quarter os preseason games. He wont win anything. We need a better plan there.

That's just not possible.... He does have two years in the system after all!!!
Sig currently being held hostage by Photobucket, will return next fall
Selmon Rules

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:24 pm

If for some reason JW went down, idk how comfortable I would be sending out a 5th round draft-pick...let alone Ryan Griffin.

To the crowd who wants to draft a QB late: do we only carry 2 QBs and hope the 5th/6th/7th rounder is legitimate enough to win .489 (edit) of his games as the back-up? Do we carry 3 QBs and let him sit behind Griffin, or do we sign a vet, cut griffindor, and let the late-rounder develop as the three?
VauntedTampa2

Postby Buc2 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:02 pm

VauntedTampa2 wrote:If for some reason JW went down, idk how comfortable I would be sending out a 5th round draft-pick...let alone Ryan Griffin.

To the crowd who wants to draft a QB late: do we only carry 2 QBs and hope the 5th/6th/7th rounder is legitimate enough to win .489 (edit) of his games as the back-up? Do we carry 3 QBs and let him sit behind Griffin, or do we sign a vet, cut griffindor, and let the late-rounder develop as the three?

I think we should find a vet that has won at least .501 of his games to be Jameis' backup. Nothing less than that will do. Are there any of those available out there?
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Again we're probably the only fanbase expecting our QB to get injured and panicking about the backup QB. Smh. God forbid we do what Seattle did last season and go into the year with an undrafted rookie as #2 QB. This fanbase would gobinto cardiac arrest.
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:40 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:Again we're probably the only fanbase expecting our QB to get injured and panicking about the backup QB. Smh. God forbid we do what Seattle did last season and go into the year with an undrafted rookie as #2 QB. This fanbase would gobinto cardiac arrest.

If that wasn't complete nonsense, I'd say we're smarter than most fanbases if we're thinking about contingencies for things that happen literally every year in the NFL. But that's me. Not everyone believes in health insurance, either.
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:56 pm

MJW wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Again we're probably the only fanbase expecting our QB to get injured and panicking about the backup QB. Smh. God forbid we do what Seattle did last season and go into the year with an undrafted rookie as #2 QB. This fanbase would gobinto cardiac arrest.

If that wasn't complete nonsense, I'd say we're smarter than most fanbases if we're thinking about contingencies for things that happen literally every year in the NFL. But that's me. Not everyone believes in health insurance, either.

So your take on Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick choosing to go into the season with QBs who had no starting experience is what exactly?
Bootz2004

Postby NYBF » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
MJW wrote:

So your take on Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick choosing to go into the season with QBs who had no starting experience is what exactly?

Bootz2004 wrote:Belichick is like I said so deep inside the head of every casual fan.
NYBF

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:02 pm

NYBF wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

Bootz2004 wrote:Belichick is like I said so deep inside the head of every casual fan.

0-1. Terrible deflection attempt.

Next
Bootz2004

Postby NYBF » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
NYBF wrote:

0-1. Terrible deflection attempt.

Next

Deflection? What am I deflecting?
NYBF

Postby BucaRican » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:50 pm

No one expects anything, but the fact is you prepare for everything.
BucaRican

Postby MJW » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:18 pm

Did Trumpcare kick in already and take Bootz's meds away?
MJW

Postby Bootz2004 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:20 pm

MJW wrote:Did Trumpcare kick in already and take Bootz's meds away?

Not yet. It took Jason Licht's meds though.
Bootz2004

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions