Best of the Rest: Your remaining FA Wishlist

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Best of the Rest: Your remaining FA Wishlist

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:34 pm

With the first wave wrapping up, who is left on your list that you would like to see the Bucs sign?

My List

WR Russell Shepard - That's right. My #1 is bringing back one of our own unsung heroes. Shep is a ST Ace and has come through at WR in the past. If nothing else, I was Shep back.

C Nick Mangold- Still playing very well, he will be the best of these band aid vets we've brought in yet. Word is some teams are asking if he would play guard, but he doesn't seem to have interest. All the better.

S TJ McDonald- His DUI is keeping his market very low, but I would love to bring him in. We have just JAGS at safety right now. He is a guy that is all over the field and would be great for Mike Smith.

DE Dwight Freeney- He still has something left in the tank and harassed QBs last year. A great vet and depth signing. We don't exactly have the healthiest of DEs.
OR
DE Mikes Williams- I mean at this point he has to know his name doesn't mean anything. Incentive heavy contract. He should be pretty cheap. He's not the force he once was, but with a better, more in sync DL than he had in Miami he could do some good mop up work.

S Bradley McDougald- Really, what do we have at safety right now?

OT Ryan Clady- We need depth at the OT position.
Doctor

Re: Best of the Rest: Your remaining FA Wishlist

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:36 pm

Mangold would be a downgrade from Hawley.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:47 pm

I want Shep, but I understand if he goes elsewhere.

Shine on, you crazy diamond.
Cheb

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:50 pm

Other than re-signing our own guys, your list doesn't excite me.

Latavious Murray would be nice. Doesn't look like we are going that route though.
Teitan

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:55 pm

Murray is overrated. Why would the Raiders let a young RB walk when they don't have other good options? He wouldn't represent much value.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:57 pm

No to Murray...

Draft a guy..3rd round or later...

Quizz
Sims
Barber
Draft pick

Good enough...
Super K

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:16 am

Super K wrote:No to Murray...

Quizz
Sims
Barber
Draft pick

Good enough...

For what? A bottom of the league rushing attack? Yeah.

Miller4Prez64 wrote:Mangold would be a downgrade from Hawley.

Hawley isn't a Buc atm so it'd be an upgrade from Evan-Smith. Also, I don't think it would be a downgrade from Hawley, who is nothing special and needs to take a couple of injury breaks every game.
Doctor

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:36 am

Darrelle Revis can be had.
terrytate

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40 am

terrytate wrote:Darrelle Revis can be had.

Pass. We'd need to give him at least $8M, and he's not worth that. He was awful last year.
Doctor

Postby terrytate » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:22 am

Doctor wrote:
terrytate wrote:Darrelle Revis can be had.

Pass. We'd need to give him at least $8M, and he's not worth that. He was awful last year.

Let me try this again

Darrelle Revis can be had.

Honestly, the only FA out there I'd consider is Price Amakumura. The pickings are getting slim at this point. Should we let Martin go, Id take another look at AP or Eddie Lacy although I'd likely look to the draft for one of the many RB's.
terrytate

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:00 am

We probably need to add a LB at some point. Not a whole lot out there. Hightower, Brown..
Teitan

Postby MJW » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:21 am

Counting out a number of guys rumored to be inking deals today (Friday):

1) Cordarrelle Patterson, KR, Vikings
Let's just make him the highest paid returner in NFL history and be done with it. We already accomplished a huge upgrade with our passing game. Let's go for a huge upgrade in kick returns also. The guy averaged 7 yards a kick return more than we did last year. That's a lot.

2) Prince Amukamara, CB, Jaguars
He's not a superstar and he never will be. But who the heck is our 3rd corner right now? Some guy, that's who. Prince is a big, fast corner who'd fit in well with our current duo of Peter Dinklage and Vernon Troyer. And since he missed the first wave of crazy money yesterday, I bet he can be had cheap-ish.

3) Nick Mangold, C, Jets
I didn't even realize human wrestling buddy Joe Hawley was a free agent. Mangold is in decline. Some day, when Mangold is telling his grandkids about his time in the NFL in a home, he'll still be better than 2017 Joe Hawley. And no, I don't care what PFF says about either of them. Of course, because of some ancient Gipsy curse, OBP will re-sign Hawley because he knows where the bathrooms are.

4) Jarvis Jones, OLB, Steelers
He was a bust with the Steelers but he's worth a low-cost look in a 4-3 I think. The guy was a destroyer of worlds at Georgia, to the degree that he absolutely should get a change of scenery/change of scheme chance at this point of his career. I would have bet serious money he'd make good in the league and I don't think he's beyond that happening.

5) JJ Wilcox, S, Cowboys
Sounds like this might happen so I may as well include it (he'd probably be behind TJ McDonald otherwise.) He's better than everyone who took a snap at safety for us last year IMHO. Faint praise but praise all the same. With Tandy at the other spot and Conte as the 3rd guy, that's not bad at all.
MJW

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:48 am

Doctor wrote:
Super K wrote:No to Murray...

Quizz
Sims
Barber
Draft pick

Good enough...

For what? A bottom of the league rushing attack? Yeah.

Miller4Prez64 wrote:Mangold would be a downgrade from Hawley.

Hawley isn't a Buc atm so it'd be an upgrade from Evan-Smith. Also, I don't think it would be a downgrade from Hawley, who is nothing special and needs to take a couple of injury breaks every game.

Grab Mack from USF in the 3rd or 4th and we have a game breaker, with fresh legs, in our RB stable..

Barber showed some promise last year and was used quite a bit in short yardage...even as a FB, which gives us play calling options...

A Quizz/Sims/Barber/Mack RB group would look pretty damn good..
Super K

Postby Teitan » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:00 am

Super K wrote:
Doctor wrote:For what? A bottom of the league rushing attack? Yeah.

Grab Mack from USF in the 3rd or 4th and we have a game breaker, with fresh legs, in our RB stable..

Barber showed some promise last year and was used quite a bit in short yardage...even as a FB, which gives us play calling options...

A Quizz/Sims/Barber/Mack RB group would look pretty damn good..

Sorry but I think it would look pretty damn average. If not worse.
Teitan

Postby mdb1958 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:14 am

We got Barber
Hansbrough
Hicks
and Sims

We have barely even looked at Barber and zero on the rest.
mdb1958

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:11 am

MJW wrote:Counting out a number of guys rumored to be inking deals today (Friday):

Let's just make him the highest paid returner in NFL history and be done with it. We already accomplished a huge upgrade with our passing game. Let's go for a huge upgrade in kick returns also. The guy averaged 7 yards a kick return more than we did last year. That's a lot.

He's not a superstar and he never will be. But who the heck is our 3rd corner right now? Some guy, that's who. Prince is a big, fast corner who'd fit in well with our current duo of Peter Dinklage and Vernon Troyer. And since he missed the first wave of crazy money yesterday, I bet he can be had cheap-ish.

3) Nick Mangold, C, Jets
I didn't even realize human wrestling buddy Joe Hawley was a free agent. Mangold is in decline. Some day, when Mangold is telling his grandkids about his time in the NFL in a home, he'll still be better than 2017 Joe Hawley. And no, I don't care what PFF says about either of them. Of course, because of some ancient Gipsy curse, OBP will re-sign Hawley because he knows where the bathrooms are.

He was a bust with the Steelers but he's worth a low-cost look in a 4-3 I think. The guy was a destroyer of worlds at Georgia, to the degree that he absolutely should get a change of scenery/change of scheme chance at this point of his career. I would have bet serious money he'd make good in the league and I don't think he's beyond that happening.

5) JJ Wilcox, S, Cowboys
Sounds like this might happen so I may as well include it (he'd probably be behind TJ McDonald otherwise.) He's better than everyone who took a snap at safety for us last year IMHO. Faint praise but praise all the same. With Tandy at the other spot and Conte as the 3rd guy, that's not bad at all.

I'd be on board with each and every one of these signings. I don't think I'd endorse throwing too much $ Patterson's way... but it ain't my money and for that reason I've never been one to feign worry on "over spending" for someone. Especially not these days.
Deja Entendu

Postby LUGZ » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:13 am

Hightower @ SAM for us is interesting. He may price himself out of the role he'd fill here, but interesting nonetheless. Would be a force against the run and he's great at blitzing.

Martellus Bennet is also on my wish list. Would be a monster in the middle with Evans and Jackson drawing so much attention on the outside.
LUGZ

Postby LUGZ » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:17 am

MJW wrote:Counting out a number of guys rumored to be inking deals today (Friday):

3) Nick Mangold, C, Jets

5) JJ Wilcox, S, Cowboys

Good list. Honestly completely forgot about Jarvis Jones. Very interesting player for us.
LUGZ

Postby BucaRican » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:39 am

This might be crazy but I like Crazy:

1) TERRELLE PRYOR WR- Can't believe we never entertained the idea. I know because of the Jackson signing this is not happening but one can only wish. I am not on the boat of thinnking we need another TE. Brate is good. But WR depth alll day.

2) CHRIS LONG DE - Can never have enough DL Depth. This guy can bring the pressure.

3)T.J. LANG G - Lets do it!
BucaRican

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:48 am

At this point, 1 year fliers. We got a difference maker yesterday and a guy who provides much needed size in the middle. Licht's pattern is obvious. Compliment the talent we already have. He doesn't look for stars in FA. I don't think anyone left is significantly better than what we have currently except Cordarrelle Patterson. But he's a return man. How much is he worth?
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:29 am

Bootz2004 wrote:At this point, 1 year fliers. We got a difference maker yesterday and a guy who provides much needed size in the middle. Licht's pattern is obvious. Compliment the talent we already have. He doesn't look for stars in FA. I don't think anyone left is significantly better than what we have currently except Cordarrelle Patterson. But he's a return man. How much is he worth?

I agree, we upgraded the starter at two position of need in WR and DT. I would have loved to get a Safety like Jefferson or Cyprien also, but that's OK assuming we are able to re-sign McDougald today. I'm still very concerned with Tandy/Conte being our ONLY safeties on the roster b/c I don't want either to be a more than a backup.

A 1yr flyer on a veteran LB and/or Center would be good. Just patch the holes w/ those type of guys so we can go into the draft and just get the best players without focusing on position needs.
DreadNaught

Postby LUGZ » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:32 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:At this point, 1 year fliers. We got a difference maker yesterday and a guy who provides much needed size in the middle. Licht's pattern is obvious. Compliment the talent we already have. He doesn't look for stars in FA. I don't think anyone left is significantly better than what we have currently except Cordarrelle Patterson. But he's a return man. How much is he worth?

I agree, we upgraded the starter at two position of need in WR and DT. I would have loved to get a Safety like Jefferson or Cyprien also, but that's OK assuming we are able to re-sign McDougald today. I'm still very concerned with Tandy/Conte being our ONLY safeties on the roster b/c I don't want either to be a more than a backup.

A 1yr flyer on a veteran LB and/or Center would be good. Just patch the holes w/ those type of guys so we can go into the draft and just get the best players without focusing on position needs.

Mangold would be a solid one year contract guy. Him, Sweezy and Marpet should provide a great interior line.

As far as safety is concerned, I think Licht has that position pegged for #19.
LUGZ

Postby Naismith » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:46 am

I'm still driving the Patterson bandwagon. If Kendall Wright doesn't have much of a market, I'd love to bring him in as well.
Naismith

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:49 am

Jarvis Jones "destroyer of worlds"

LOL
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:52 am

Jarvis Jones sucks..here's the thing with Steeler DE's/OLB's.. over the last 25 years, if Pittsburgh let one go, it's because it was time...if they hang onto them, it's because they are still pretty good...

The one blight in this line of thinking was their letting James Harrison go, but they fixed that and brought him back..

Jarvis is all sizzle and no steak..
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:02 pm

DreadNaught wrote:

I'm not worried about safety provided McDougald can get re-signed. Conte, Tandy and he all improved last season. In addition improving the play up front can really help that secondary as well. I think that's a spot we address in the draft.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:22 pm

So I may get some heat for this but what about.... Vincent Jackson? Hear me out.

Apparently, he still wants to play and the expectations are that he'll likely have to settle for a one-year deal for a couple of million somewhere. So why not a couple of million here? I maintain that he was heavily miscasted as a flanker in this offense last season after Evans took over his X spot. It played to all his weaknesses. Despite what fans on this board thought, every report from practice and camp still had Vjax as a hard worker, team leader, and in good shape. Besides bringing back all that feel good locker room leadership and community hero stuff, we're bringing back a massive 6'5 target who is incredibly smart at dissecting coverages. Seems perfect for the Y. (Ha, seams perfect. Get it?) And it will also be a big help (pun intended) in the Redzone where we really struggle. Not to mention having big Vjax blocking on run plays inside can't be undervalued.

Now if we end up with say Cory Davis is the draft or something, fine, probably no VJax. But if we don't, we should really think about it. No harm in a later round rookie still learning the NFL taking it slow, competing with Hump and Vjax for snaps. There's a lot of playbook to learn. Vjax already has it down.

I definitely think we should consider bringing him back, ten fold if we come out of the draft without a WR.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:29 pm

Doctor wrote:So I may get some heat for this but what about.... Vincent Jackson? Hear me out.

Apparently, he still wants to play and the expectations are that he'll likely have to settle for a one-year deal for a couple of million somewhere. So why not a couple of million here? I maintain that he was heavily miscasted as a flanker in this offense last season after Evans took over his X spot. It played to all his weaknesses. Despite what fans on this board thought, every report from practice and camp still had Vjax as a hard worker, team leader, and in good shape. Besides bringing back all that feel good locker room leadership and community hero stuff, we're bringing back a massive 6'5 target who is incredibly smart at dissecting coverages. Seems perfect for the Y. (Ha, seams perfect. Get it?) And it will also be a big help (pun intended) in the Redzone where we really struggle. Not to mention having big Vjax blocking on run plays inside can't be undervalued.

Now if we end up with say Cory Davis is the draft or something, fine, probably no VJax. But if we don't, we should really think about it. No harm in a later round rookie still learning the NFL taking it slow, competing with Hump and Vjax for snaps. There's a lot of playbook to learn. Vjax already has it down.

I definitely think we should consider bringing him back, ten fold if we come out of the draft without a WR.

NO
Super K

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:35 pm

Doctor wrote:So I may get some heat for this but what about.... Vincent Jackson? Hear me out.

I'm not against him returning for cheap. Love the guy and I'll take the veteran leadership in the locker room. He'd likely only play in spread formations with 4 or 5 receivers on the field or take advantage of his size in the red zone. I wouldn't blame him if he wanted to go ring chase in New England or something though.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Cheb » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:58 pm

It depends.

Would we be getting the Vincent Jackson who actually tried, or the dude who was phoning it in last season? If the former, absolutely. If the latter, bye Felicia.
Cheb

Next

Return to Team Discussions