Chris Baker: Signing

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Doctor wrote:The DL health is their biggest weakness.

Yep..

Seems about time for McGoofy Grin to pop/pull something forcing us to play Baker in his spot with McDonald at Nose..or vice versa...
Super K

Postby terrytate » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:26 am

pewterpirates wrote:Our DL has the potential to be special.

I think the Baker signing may be just as impactful for the defense as DeSean will be for the offense. He's not just a big body to occupy space. He's an impact player. I don't know if McCoy has truly played with an actual impact player next to him on the inside. And if McCoy & Baker do their jobs, that'll leave plenty of opportunities for Spence, Ayers, Gholston, Smith, etc. If Spence continues to develop into the elite pass rusher we all think, teams will have to pay more attention to him, which will give some space to Baker/McCoy.

Noah Spence
Robert Ayers
Will Gholston
Chris Baker
Gerald McCoy
Jaq Smith

I'd be shocked if Spence and/or McCoy don't get at least 10 sacks this season.

People have forgotten about Jaq Smith I think. He had a quietly solid season for us in 15. He actually beat out Gholston for the starting job going into last year. He got hurt in week 1, which means he will have had plenty of time to heal. If healthy, he might just win that LE job again. If nothing else, Smith and Gholston fighting for that spot makes this a better team.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:30 am

terrytate wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Our DL has the potential to be special.

I think the Baker signing may be just as impactful for the defense as DeSean will be for the offense. He's not just a big body to occupy space. He's an impact player. I don't know if McCoy has truly played with an actual impact player next to him on the inside. And if McCoy & Baker do their jobs, that'll leave plenty of opportunities for Spence, Ayers, Gholston, Smith, etc. If Spence continues to develop into the elite pass rusher we all think, teams will have to pay more attention to him, which will give some space to Baker/McCoy.

Noah Spence
Robert Ayers
Will Gholston
Chris Baker
Gerald McCoy
Jaq Smith

I'd be shocked if Spence and/or McCoy don't get at least 10 sacks this season.

People have forgotten about Jaq Smith I think. He had a quietly solid season for us in 15. He actually beat out Gholston for the starting job going into last year. He got hurt in week 1, which means he will have had plenty of time to heal. If healthy, he might just win that LE job again. If nothing else, Smith and Gholston fighting for that spot makes this a better team.

According to Bootz, we shouldn't have tendered him.

Ultimately I see the combo of Ayers, Spence, Smith, and Gholston being used situationally to great effect. Gholston is a good run stopper. Spence and Smith are speed rushers. Ayers can do both. It's a nice group to have.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 am

I dont think it would be wrong to expect bigger things possible out of Russell, Ward, and Lambert either.
mdb1958

Postby Nano » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:20 am

I don't know if those guys make the team mdb. They only really saw playing time last year because literally everyone on that defensive line got hurt. If everyone comes back(and we added to it), then at least 2 of those guys probably don't make it.
Nano

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:38 am

Saw this on Twitter. Glad we didn't go hard for Poe!

Teitan

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 am

Teitan wrote:Saw this on Twitter. Glad we didn't go hard for Poe!

Poe is more name than game.
Miller4Prez64

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:52 am

Great capture there Teitan..

Beyond the superior production the past 2 season I LOVE Baker's attitude he brings on the field. He's got that Robert Ayers type of nastiness/edginess I like to see from defensive players. Having Ayers and Baker on either side of McCoy will hopefully rub off a bit and add some extra grit to the defense.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 am

Nano wrote:I don't know if those guys make the team mdb. They only really saw playing time last year because literally everyone on that defensive line got hurt. If everyone comes back(and we added to it), then at least 2 of those guys probably don't make it.

They are under contract so they got camp to prove their worth.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:29 am

Teitan wrote:Saw this on Twitter. Glad we didn't go hard for Poe!

mdb gets the story out first and twitter gets all the credit
mdb1958

Previous

Return to Team Discussions