Chris Baker: Signing

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
post

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Doctor wrote:The DL health is their biggest weakness.


Yep..

Seems about time for McGoofy Grin to pop/pull something forcing us to play Baker in his spot with McDonald at Nose..or vice versa...
Super K
 
Posts: 4142
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:26 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby terrytate » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:26 am

pewterpirates wrote:Our DL has the potential to be special.

I think the Baker signing may be just as impactful for the defense as DeSean will be for the offense. He's not just a big body to occupy space. He's an impact player. I don't know if McCoy has truly played with an actual impact player next to him on the inside. And if McCoy & Baker do their jobs, that'll leave plenty of opportunities for Spence, Ayers, Gholston, Smith, etc. If Spence continues to develop into the elite pass rusher we all think, teams will have to pay more attention to him, which will give some space to Baker/McCoy.

Noah Spence
Robert Ayers
Will Gholston
Chris Baker
Gerald McCoy
Jaq Smith

I'd be shocked if Spence and/or McCoy don't get at least 10 sacks this season.


People have forgotten about Jaq Smith I think. He had a quietly solid season for us in 15. He actually beat out Gholston for the starting job going into last year. He got hurt in week 1, which means he will have had plenty of time to heal. If healthy, he might just win that LE job again. If nothing else, Smith and Gholston fighting for that spot makes this a better team.
User avatar
terrytate
 
Posts: 1436
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:49 am
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 62 times

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby MJW » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:30 am

terrytate wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Our DL has the potential to be special.

I think the Baker signing may be just as impactful for the defense as DeSean will be for the offense. He's not just a big body to occupy space. He's an impact player. I don't know if McCoy has truly played with an actual impact player next to him on the inside. And if McCoy & Baker do their jobs, that'll leave plenty of opportunities for Spence, Ayers, Gholston, Smith, etc. If Spence continues to develop into the elite pass rusher we all think, teams will have to pay more attention to him, which will give some space to Baker/McCoy.

Noah Spence
Robert Ayers
Will Gholston
Chris Baker
Gerald McCoy
Jaq Smith

I'd be shocked if Spence and/or McCoy don't get at least 10 sacks this season.


People have forgotten about Jaq Smith I think. He had a quietly solid season for us in 15. He actually beat out Gholston for the starting job going into last year. He got hurt in week 1, which means he will have had plenty of time to heal. If healthy, he might just win that LE job again. If nothing else, Smith and Gholston fighting for that spot makes this a better team.


According to Bootz, we shouldn't have tendered him.

Ultimately I see the combo of Ayers, Spence, Smith, and Gholston being used situationally to great effect. Gholston is a good run stopper. Spence and Smith are speed rushers. Ayers can do both. It's a nice group to have.
Image
User avatar
MJW
 
Posts: 5618
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:17 am
Location: Nebraska
Has thanked: 137 times
Been thanked: 254 times

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 am

I dont think it would be wrong to expect bigger things possible out of Russell, Ward, and Lambert either.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 5638
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby Nano » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:20 am

I don't know if those guys make the team mdb. They only really saw playing time last year because literally everyone on that defensive line got hurt. If everyone comes back(and we added to it), then at least 2 of those guys probably don't make it.
User avatar
Nano
 
Posts: 5416
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:30 pm
Location: Somewhere above Tampa
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 187 times

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:38 am

Saw this on Twitter. Glad we didn't go hard for Poe!

Image
User avatar
Teitan
 
Posts: 2098
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 1:07 pm
Has thanked: 103 times
Been thanked: 88 times

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 am

Teitan wrote:Saw this on Twitter. Glad we didn't go hard for Poe!

Image


Poe is more name than game.
Miller4Prez64
 
Posts: 2324
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:42 pm
Has thanked: 16 times
Been thanked: 69 times

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:52 am

Great capture there Teitan..

Beyond the superior production the past 2 season I LOVE Baker's attitude he brings on the field. He's got that Robert Ayers type of nastiness/edginess I like to see from defensive players. Having Ayers and Baker on either side of McCoy will hopefully rub off a bit and add some extra grit to the defense.
Image
User avatar
DreadNaught
 
Posts: 7239
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 am
Has thanked: 308 times
Been thanked: 303 times

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 am

Nano wrote:I don't know if those guys make the team mdb. They only really saw playing time last year because literally everyone on that defensive line got hurt. If everyone comes back(and we added to it), then at least 2 of those guys probably don't make it.



They are under contract so they got camp to prove their worth.
mdb1958
 
Posts: 5638
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:29 am

Teitan wrote:Saw this on Twitter. Glad we didn't go hard for Poe!

Image




mdb gets the story out first and twitter gets all the credit
mdb1958
 
Posts: 5638
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 123 times
Been thanked: 58 times

Previous

post

Return to Team Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bootz2004, Buc2, Crocaneers, Google [Bot], Mex-Buc, Naismith, theBKwhopper and 8 guests