Chris Baker: Signing

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Chris Baker: Signing

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:50 pm

Doctor wrote:The DL health is their biggest weakness.

Yep..

Seems about time for McGoofy Grin to pop/pull something forcing us to play Baker in his spot with McDonald at Nose..or vice versa...
Super K

Postby terrytate » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:26 am

pewterpirates wrote:Our DL has the potential to be special.

I think the Baker signing may be just as impactful for the defense as DeSean will be for the offense. He's not just a big body to occupy space. He's an impact player. I don't know if McCoy has truly played with an actual impact player next to him on the inside. And if McCoy & Baker do their jobs, that'll leave plenty of opportunities for Spence, Ayers, Gholston, Smith, etc. If Spence continues to develop into the elite pass rusher we all think, teams will have to pay more attention to him, which will give some space to Baker/McCoy.

Noah Spence
Robert Ayers
Will Gholston
Chris Baker
Gerald McCoy
Jaq Smith

I'd be shocked if Spence and/or McCoy don't get at least 10 sacks this season.

People have forgotten about Jaq Smith I think. He had a quietly solid season for us in 15. He actually beat out Gholston for the starting job going into last year. He got hurt in week 1, which means he will have had plenty of time to heal. If healthy, he might just win that LE job again. If nothing else, Smith and Gholston fighting for that spot makes this a better team.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:30 am

terrytate wrote:
pewterpirates wrote:Our DL has the potential to be special.

I think the Baker signing may be just as impactful for the defense as DeSean will be for the offense. He's not just a big body to occupy space. He's an impact player. I don't know if McCoy has truly played with an actual impact player next to him on the inside. And if McCoy & Baker do their jobs, that'll leave plenty of opportunities for Spence, Ayers, Gholston, Smith, etc. If Spence continues to develop into the elite pass rusher we all think, teams will have to pay more attention to him, which will give some space to Baker/McCoy.

Noah Spence
Robert Ayers
Will Gholston
Chris Baker
Gerald McCoy
Jaq Smith

I'd be shocked if Spence and/or McCoy don't get at least 10 sacks this season.

People have forgotten about Jaq Smith I think. He had a quietly solid season for us in 15. He actually beat out Gholston for the starting job going into last year. He got hurt in week 1, which means he will have had plenty of time to heal. If healthy, he might just win that LE job again. If nothing else, Smith and Gholston fighting for that spot makes this a better team.

According to Bootz, we shouldn't have tendered him.

Ultimately I see the combo of Ayers, Spence, Smith, and Gholston being used situationally to great effect. Gholston is a good run stopper. Spence and Smith are speed rushers. Ayers can do both. It's a nice group to have.
MJW

Postby mdb1958 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:59 am

I dont think it would be wrong to expect bigger things possible out of Russell, Ward, and Lambert either.
mdb1958

Postby Nano » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:20 am

I don't know if those guys make the team mdb. They only really saw playing time last year because literally everyone on that defensive line got hurt. If everyone comes back(and we added to it), then at least 2 of those guys probably don't make it.
Nano

Postby Teitan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:38 am

Saw this on Twitter. Glad we didn't go hard for Poe!

Teitan

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:40 am

Teitan wrote:Saw this on Twitter. Glad we didn't go hard for Poe!

Poe is more name than game.
Miller4Prez64

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:52 am

Great capture there Teitan..

Beyond the superior production the past 2 season I LOVE Baker's attitude he brings on the field. He's got that Robert Ayers type of nastiness/edginess I like to see from defensive players. Having Ayers and Baker on either side of McCoy will hopefully rub off a bit and add some extra grit to the defense.
DreadNaught

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:24 am

Nano wrote:I don't know if those guys make the team mdb. They only really saw playing time last year because literally everyone on that defensive line got hurt. If everyone comes back(and we added to it), then at least 2 of those guys probably don't make it.

They are under contract so they got camp to prove their worth.
mdb1958

Postby mdb1958 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:29 am

Teitan wrote:Saw this on Twitter. Glad we didn't go hard for Poe!

mdb gets the story out first and twitter gets all the credit
mdb1958

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:09 am

This guy... sure is smelling like another FA bust....
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:19 am

real bucs fan wrote:This guy... sure is smelling like another FA bust....

Really?! After zero games??
Bootz2004

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:19 am

Good thing McDonald is looking like a beast out there.
deltbucs

Postby Deja Entendu » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:20 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

^
Deja Entendu

Postby beardmcdoug » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:30 am

beardmcdoug

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 am

Deja Entendu wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

^

Just silly or trolling , not sure which
Jason Bourne

Postby Konatown » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:32 am

Yea I'm not getting the hate? We're two preseason games in.

From all accounts he was the Redskins best lineman out there last year. He's our Nose Tackle so he's probably not going to show up huge on stats either.

As long as he's good against the run, gets some push in the pocket and frees up GMac and our DE's we should all be pleased with the signing.
Konatown

Postby Jason Bourne » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:33 am

And McCoy is one of the very best in the game today ,
Jason Bourne

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

was thinking the same.
Noles1724

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:40 am

Bootz2004 wrote:

He looks fat, slow, and disinterested in anything other than flexing for the camera and being a general all around ****.

Hopefully he turns it on when the games matter, but dude is definitely coasting right now, and that doesn't make a good impression.
real bucs fan

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:42 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

He looks fat, slow, and disinterested in anything other than flexing for the camera and being a general all around ****.

Hopefully he turns it on when the games matter, but dude is definitely coasting right now, and that doesn't make a good impression.

what gives you this impression? Hard Knocks/kicking segment?
Noles1724

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:13 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I think this a bit of an overreaction. But I do get where you are coming from in that Baker has a reputation of not being much a effort guy when the games (and practices) that don't count going back to his Redskins days. Ira has stated as much on his podcast based on information he's received from colleagues in the Redskins media.

When a player decides he doesn't want to show up for voluntary off season workouts (especially with a new team) then proceeds to seemingly give less than 100% effort while acting very boisterous otherwise it leads to giving off a bad impression. So I understand..

That said, Baker is an NFL vet with very good production the past couple seasons. So saying he looks like bust after 2 preseason games is a bit over the top. He'll be judged on how he performs once the games count as will/should every player who is a vet in this league. I will say that if he struggles it won't be good for him due to him not doing himself any favors to this point.

As someone mentioned, Clint McDonald looks great. Stronger and still quick, so hopefully those 3 DTs (With McCoy) do some real damage for us this year.
DreadNaught

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:23 am

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:He looks fat, slow, and disinterested in anything other than flexing for the camera and being a general all around ****.

I think this a bit of an overreaction. But I do get where you are coming from in that Baker has a reputation of not being much a effort guy when the games (and practices) that don't count going back to his Redskins days. Ira has stated as much on his podcast based on information he's received from colleagues in the Redskins media.

When a player decides he doesn't want to show up for voluntary off season workouts (especially with a new team) then proceeds to seemingly give less than 100% effort while acting very boisterous otherwise it leads to giving off a bad impression. So I understand..

That said, Baker is an NFL vet with very good production the past couple seasons. So saying he looks like bust after 2 preseason games is a bit over the top. He'll be judged on how he performs once the games count as will/should every player who is a vet in this league. I will say that if he struggles it won't be good for him due to him not doing himself any favors to this point.

As someone mentioned, Clint McDonald looks great. Stronger and still quick, so hopefully those 3 DTs (With McCoy) do some real damage for us this year.

The bolded is my general point. Though I just don't simply believe Baker has earned the right act that way. Warren Sapp he is not. To me he's looking more and more like a guy who worked to get a big contract, and now that he has it, he's just doing whatever the heck he wants. And that seems to be mostly eating, not working, and being an ***hole.
real bucs fan

Postby deltbucs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:27 am

Noles1724 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:He looks fat, slow, and disinterested in anything other than flexing for the camera and being a general all around ****.

Yeah? Where did that come from?
deltbucs

Postby real bucs fan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:34 am

deltbucs wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:

Yeah? Where did that come from?

It can't be just me who thinks he's been behaving like an ***hole whenever a cameras been on him... though being an ***hole can be good on the DL, like with Ayers, but you have to back it up.
real bucs fan

Postby Teitan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 am

real bucs fan wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Yeah? Where did that come from?

It can't be just me who thinks he's been behaving like an ***hole whenever a cameras been on him... though being an ***hole can be good on the DL, like with Ayers, but you have to back it up.

You're so sensitive. That was his Rep coming in here.
Teitan

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 am

real bucs fan wrote:
deltbucs wrote:Yeah? Where did that come from?

only time I think a case could be made would be when he was talking **** to the kickers. I think that's 'ok' though seeing how it was done to help the kickers deal with pressure and someone/opponent getting in their head. Didn't see anything wrong with it at all.
Noles1724

Postby Teitan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am

Noles1724 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

only time I think a case could be made would be when he was talking **** to the kickers. I think that's 'ok' though seeing how it was done to help the kickers deal with pressure and someone/opponent getting in their head. Didn't see anything wrong with it at all.

And then on pre game warm ups he encouraged them.
Teitan

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:45 am

Teitan wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

You're so sensitive. That was his Rep coming in here.

Yup... Baker is the same guy he was in Washington by all accounts. That comes off bad to those unaware since his rep is guy that doesn't like practice but shows up when it counts.

Lets play a few games before making rash judgments.

As far as the taunting the kickers nonsense, that was something Dirk encouraged in an effort to have his kickers focus and eliminate distractions. He's been doing it every practice I've been to and not just when the cameras are there (although they are always there these days).
DreadNaught

Postby Noles1724 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:47 am

Teitan wrote:
Noles1724 wrote:

And then on pre game warm ups he encouraged them.

yeah that too.. supports that he's not being an ass, but trying to be helpful.
Noles1724

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions