Bucs to sign DeSean Jackson today

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Bucs to sign DeSean Jackson today

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:27 am

VJax not coming back. Shepherd has a lot of suitors.
Teitan

Postby Seamen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:30 am

This could be huge as long as we get at least 13-14 games out of him
Seamen

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:46 am

I've wanted him on the Bucs since he was in the draft.

Better late than never.
Cheb

Postby Heisenberg » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:47 am

Now we fonally have someone that can get those deep throws Evans doesn't have the speed to get under. This could be bigger than a lot of fans seem to believe.
Heisenberg

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:53 am

Heisenberg wrote:Now we fonally have someone that can get those deep throws Evans doesn't have the speed to get under. This could be bigger than a lot of fans seem to believe.

It's not just that, although that's part of it.

Jackson going deep forces any deep safety to help cover him. The vertical stretching that provides is invaluable. Evans, Brate, Hump, and everyone else will benefit from that greatly.

Jackson will be a huge benefit to our offense even when he doesn't touch the ball.
Cheb

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:56 am

Cheb wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:Now we fonally have someone that can get those deep throws Evans doesn't have the speed to get under. This could be bigger than a lot of fans seem to believe.

Jackson going deep forces any deep safety to help cover him. The vertical stretching that provides is invaluable. Evans, Brate, Hump, and everyone else will benefit from that greatly.

Jackson will be a huge benefit to our offense even when he doesn't touch the ball.

Exactly this ^^

Only thing I'll add is that DJax will keep defenses honest when they decide to play press m2m also (which is a death wish vs DJax).
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:57 am

Naismith wrote:I want the signing to happen because I want them to be able to execute their preferred strategy and it's obvious how he'll open up things for the offense. But I wouldn't be terribly depressed if someone swooped in and stole him due to not really liking him. I'm also worried about how he'll react when Jameis tries to get him to come run routes in the offseason to establish chemistry since his work ethic has been questioned in the past.

Questioned by who? Chip Kelly?
Bootz2004

Postby Caradoc » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Fans vastly overstate our needs on OL.
Caradoc

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Naismith wrote:I want the signing to happen because I want them to be able to execute their preferred strategy and it's obvious how he'll open up things for the offense. But I wouldn't be terribly depressed if someone swooped in and stole him due to not really liking him. I'm also worried about how he'll react when Jameis tries to get him to come run routes in the offseason to establish chemistry since his work ethic has been questioned in the past.

According to the Googlez, Eagles didn't like his work ethic before Chip and, obviously, with Chip. Work ethic was criticized coming out of college (by our old friend Jeff Tedford). Didn't see much from his time in Washington other than editorials commenting on how he doesn't seem like he's a hard worker, but that could very easily be bias from his reputation coming in.
Naismith

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:17 pm

Naismith wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

According to the Googlez, Eagles didn't like his work ethic before Chip and, obviously, with Chip. Work ethic was criticized coming out of college (by our old friend Jeff Tedford). Didn't see much from his time in Washington other than editorials commenting on how he doesn't seem like he's a hard worker, but that could very easily be bias from his reputation coming in.

So I should ignore recent videos and snapchats of him working out and practicing the last 3 months?
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:20 pm

Cheb wrote:I've wanted him on the Bucs since he was in the draft.

Better late than never.

Ya he was my guy that draft. Wanted him in the first even.
real bucs fan

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Naismith wrote:

So I should ignore recent videos and snapchats of him working out and practicing the last 3 months?

You should do whatever you want to do. I don't think videos or snap chats of him working out or practicing is proof that someone has a good work ethic, nor do I know that he doesn't have a good work ethic. It's just a concern of mine in a smoke->fire kind of deal with an "older" player getting what is likely his last big contract and that has been accused of being selfish before, whether he's going to have the same motivation as someone like Jameis does. Doesn't have to concern anyone else. Obviously, it didn't concern the Bucs and they have more info than me.
Naismith

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:27 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Cheb wrote:

Exactly this ^^

Only thing I'll add is that DJax will keep defenses honest when they decide to play press m2m also (which is a death wish vs DJax).

High 5 to both you and Cheb...spot on..
Super K

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:27 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
Naismith wrote:

I think the attacks on DJax's character are largely overblown and unfair. He may not be the model 'team first/self sacrifice' type of guy everyone hopes for, but he's never been in bad physical condition or been suspended for an off-field incident. Will he be the Vincent Jackson type of community leader and locker room leader? Probably not, but Jameis more than fills that void for this team. We need a WR that has his exact skill set to help our offense. I for one am not worried about him being a bad influence on this team.

People can bang on DJax for not attending (voluntary) OTAs for his teams in the past, but if that is all we have to worry about that I'm ok with it.
DreadNaught

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:35 pm

I love the addition and am excited as all hell..

But I'm holding back until 4:01pm when it's official...

My big ass/hopes ain't getting the Favre treatment again..
Super K

Postby tjax03 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Naismith wrote:Still hoping for Cordarrelle Patterson to fill that returner role and additional speed.

I like this idea too.

Id still take Ross if Cook is gone.

Desean is still in his 30s so building towards the future you want a guy like Ross out there.

Can you imagine 5 wide sets with Ross, Desean , Brate, Humph, Evans, with a catching rb?
tjax03

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:58 pm

tjax03 wrote:
Naismith wrote:Still hoping for Cordarrelle Patterson to fill that returner role and additional speed.

I like this idea too.

Id still take Ross if Cook is gone.

Desean is still in his 30s so building towards the future you want a guy like Ross out there.

Can you imagine 5 wide sets with Ross, Desean , Brate, Humph, Evans, with a catching rb?

Would probably result in a lot of flags
real bucs fan

Postby Kress » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Super K wrote:I love the addition and am excited as all hell..

But I'm holding back until 4:01pm when it's official...

My big ass/hopes ain't getting the Favre treatment again..

NYBF is laughing his ass off right now.
Kress

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:12 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:

I think the attacks on DJax's character are largely overblown and unfair. He may not be the model 'team first/self sacrifice' type of guy everyone hopes for, but he's never been in bad physical condition or been suspended for an off-field incident. Will he be the Vincent Jackson type of community leader and locker room leader? Probably not, but Jameis more than fills that void for this team. We need a WR that has his exact skill set to help our offense. I for one am not worried about him being a bad influence on this team.

People can bang on DJax for not attending (voluntary) OTAs for his teams in the past, but if that is all we have to worry about that I'm ok with it.

They've also been unfounded. If all a person can say is "the Google says" and "I don't like him" then there's nothing there. I don't care that he doesn't attend voluntary workouts because as you've stated he's always in good shape. And he's never been suspended. It's ironic Vjax was looked at as a leader when he was twice suspended, held out for more money well into a season and sued the league.

Djax character is the least of my concerns. I just want him to stay as healthy as possible.
Bootz2004

Postby Naismith » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:If all a person can say is "the Google says" and "I don't like him" then there's nothing there.

Here you go, 2008, 2011, 2014.

- Tedford also told the Daily News that Jackson’s didn’t work as hard in college as he’ll need to in the NFL, but he was, in general, supportive of his former player:

“I don’t know that he worked as hard he could have, because he’s a very natural player. Now that he’s in the NFL, and he has to compete with guys who are all as good as he is, he’ll figure out he needs to work …"

- Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson told ESPN's Lisa Salters that he didn't give a full effort last season because he didn't want to get injured before signing a new contract.

When asked about instances when his effort was questioned, Jackson said: "I let it get to me, even though I tried not to let it. I was trying to protect myself from getting hurt -- now I'm just giving it all."

- "Rather, sources close to Jackson and within the Eagles' organization say, it originally was Jackson's off-field behavior that concerned the front office. A bad attitude, an inconsistent work ethic, missed meetings and a lack of chemistry with head coach Chip Kelly were the original reasons for his fall from grace, sources told NJ.com."
Naismith

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:27 pm

tjax03 wrote:So does this mean no john ross?

Desean is signed for a few years

I didn't read the whole thread so I don't if this has been said. If John Ross checks out medically, I don't think he is on the board for us. With his production combined with that 4.22, someone jumps early.
terrytate

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:29 pm

Naismith wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:If all a person can say is "the Google says" and "I don't like him" then there's nothing there.

- Tedford also told the Daily News that Jackson’s didn’t work as hard in college as he’ll need to in the NFL, but he was, in general, supportive of his former player:

“I don’t know that he worked as hard he could have, because he’s a very natural player. Now that he’s in the NFL, and he has to compete with guys who are all as good as he is, he’ll figure out he needs to work …"

- Philadelphia Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson told ESPN's Lisa Salters that he didn't give a full effort last season because he didn't want to get injured before signing a new contract.

When asked about instances when his effort was questioned, Jackson said: "I let it get to me, even though I tried not to let it. I was trying to protect myself from getting hurt -- now I'm just giving it all."

- "Rather, sources close to Jackson and within the Eagles' organization say, it originally was Jackson's off-field behavior that concerned the front office. A bad attitude, an inconsistent work ethic, missed meetings and a lack of chemistry with head coach Chip Kelly were the original reasons for his fall from grace, sources told NJ.com."

He would prefer that in link form, please.
Teitan

Postby Buc2 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:36 pm

Teitan wrote:
Naismith wrote:

He would prefer that in link form, please.

Wouldn't matter. It's all just hearsay.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm

I don't think the comments from Tedford or DJax himself (in regards to FA getting in his head) are that damning TBH...
Super K

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:48 pm

Naismith wrote:

This is nothing quite honestly. But if it lead you to worry then poor you.
Bootz2004

Postby Doctor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:49 pm

Jackson seems like a person who needs a strong locker room. I can't believe I'm saying this but I think we have one. Winston is a hell of a leader and great at pushing his guys. He's the kind of leader you simply don't want to disappoint.

Djax attitude reminds me a little of Iverson. At the end I think he gets away with it because he was always one of the most, if not the, best players on his offense. If something was holding the offense back, it wasn't him, so what did it matter if he didn't try as hard as he could. "I can't make my teammates better by practicing". After his first two years, which he had McNabb, he really hasn't had any QB to keep him in line or accountable. I mean really, is Sanchez going to lecture DJax?

Cousins, imo, is a heck of a QB. Coincidentally, I haven't heard any critics about his work ethic from his time in Washington the last couple of years. Granted, it's not the best attitude, and you'd rather have a player that give 100% all day every day even on the Browns. But I don't think it will be an issue here.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Rumor is that DJax will get about $11m APY in his deal.

We should all expect this to be frontloaded with most, if not all of the first two years guaranteed based on Greenberg/Bucs have handled ALL FA contracts that past several years.
DreadNaught

Postby Cheb » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Naismith wrote:

So, nine years ago, while in college, his coach told him he needs to work harder to compete in the NFL against better athletes. Six years ago, he subconsciously played a bit gunshy prior to negotiating for a new contract. Three seasons (or even longer) and two teams ago, he didn't like his head coach and maybe missed a few meetings.

He has been in the NFL for nine seasons and understands his competition, no worries there. He has his big contract, probably his last one, so no need to fret on that account. And his last reports of missed meetings and other tomfoolery were two teams and at least three years ago, per your quote.

I ain't worried.

He has by all accounts been a model citizen in Washington. He has averaged 17.7 yards per catch on his career, has more seasons with greater than 1000 yards (five) than he has seasons with less than 1000 yards (4). He had the most yards per catch in the NFL last year at 17.9. If he gives the Bucs his average season, which is 979 yards on 55 catches with 5 TDs, that's pretty damn good. He hasn't lost his speed, which has always been his greatest asset. Less discussed but no less important, Jackson has legitimate saavy as an established NFL veteran, a guy who will help our inexperienced crop of pass catchers with the nuances of the game. He can give Hump and Evans a few pointers, as well help as any draftees we add this year, perhaps a certain speedster from Washington.

Everyone matures as they grow older. I can excuse a few poor decisions, especially when they are in the relatively distant past. Until Jackson starts being a me-first prima donna who won't work out and phones in his gametime effort while poisoning the locker room, I am behind him being in Tampa.

He's a slam dunk signing at a position of need that fits our team makeup like a ****ing glove. Don't overthink it.
Cheb

Postby tjax03 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm just concerned about his health.

Guy seems to always get injured.

I think that sweezy signing has skewed my perspective of guys. Paying them money in FA and expect big things only for them to be injured.
tjax03

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:31 pm

tjax03 wrote:I'm just concerned about his health.

Guy seems to always get injured.

I think that sweezy signing has skewed my perspective of guys. Paying them money in FA and expect big things only for them to be injured.

DreadNaught wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:He's over 30 and always injured or disappeared during the game

As far as him being "always injured", I thought the same until I looked at the actual game logs last week.

DJax has started atleast 14 games in 7 of his 9 season and atleast 10 in EVERY season. 2015 was his most injury riddled season with only 10 starts. But he came back last season to start 15 games w/ over 1000 yards. So I don't think the "always injured" claim is backed by any facts.
beardmcdoug

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions