Has Jameis ever had a deep threat?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Has Jameis ever had a deep threat?

Postby tjax03 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:56 am

Thinking about it I don't even recall him having one in college. Rashard Green, Kelvin Benjamin were all medium to short throw guys. Jimbo didn't really call rainbow plays either.

Maybe this could explain his inaccuracy when throwing downfield. It would be real good to get a guy like J Ross on the team who can open up this part of his game. The guy can be the complete package QB like the Lebron of Football with the right pieces around him.
tjax03

Re: Has Jameis ever had a deep threat?

Postby beardmcdoug » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:12 am

tjax03 wrote:Thinking about it I don't even recall him having one in college. Rashard Green, Kelvin Benjamin were all medium to short throw guys. Jimbo didn't really call rainbow plays either.

beardmcdoug

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 am

KB ran his fair share of posts and fades when a Nole...

The forgotten man, as always, was/is Kenny Shaw whom was an outstanding, athletic WR..he made a number of deep catches including a hail mary bomb just before half for TD against BCR in 2013..

In 2014 a number of WRs made some deep catches; Rudolph, Wilson etc..

So, as far as a bona-fide, take the top off burner? NO..but he's had long ball weapons...

But you are correct, that isn't Jimbo's offense...it's a chunk offense..and, as you can see, JW thrives in that kind of attack..
Super K

Postby Doctor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:03 am

Wait wait wait.... so Winston misses deep because he has never had a really fast weapon to go deep? That's like saying you've never been with a hot girl which explains why you always strike out with hot girls.... worse excuse making yet.
Doctor

Postby tjax03 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 am

Doctor wrote:Wait wait wait.... so Winston misses deep because he has never had a really fast weapon to go deep? That's like saying you've never been with a hot girl which explains why you always strike out with hot girls.... worse excuse making yet.

Think about it. If you don't practice it how can you be good at it?

He doesn't have a deep threat so there is no use to even practice it. Even then game speed is a totally different speed. Then when you try to with a slower WR like Evans during an actual game it looks terrible. As he isn't the guy to get under the ball or go get the ball.

Once the Bucs get this threat they can use it more and more. It still may look bad in games but keep calling plays for it and about the 6th game it should be a thing of beauty.
tjax03

Postby tjax03 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:29 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
tjax03 wrote:Thinking about it I don't even recall him having one in college. Rashard Green, Kelvin Benjamin were all medium to short throw guys. Jimbo didn't really call rainbow plays either.

KB is not a burner nor a deep threat.

He and Evans are of the same mold. Red Zone guys and playmakers.
tjax03

Postby Doctor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:31 am

So what we need is a Moss type who can not only burn but adjust and get under an inaccurate deep pass, thus making it look accurate. Sure, I'm all for that. Probably why we're after DJax.
Doctor

Postby Cheb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:33 am

Doctor wrote:So what we need is a Moss type who can not only burn but adjust and get under an inaccurate deep pass, thus making it look accurate. Sure, I'm all for that. Probably why we're after DJax.

You must mean Santana Moss, not Randy, cuz DJ is alot of things but he is no Randy Moss.

And couldn't every QB use a Moss of either variety?
Cheb

Postby real bucs fan » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:46 am

On the contrary. Evans is a heck of a deep threat, he's just never had a QB who can throw an accurate deep ball.
real bucs fan

Postby deltbucs » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:51 am

beardmcdoug wrote:

deltbucs

Postby Doctor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:55 am

Cheb wrote:
Doctor wrote:So what we need is a Moss type who can not only burn but adjust and get under an inaccurate deep pass, thus making it look accurate. Sure, I'm all for that. Probably why we're after DJax.

You must mean Santana Moss, not Randy, cuz DJ is alot of things but he is no Randy Moss.

And couldn't every QB use a Moss of either variety?

Djax is no Randy but he can adjust to bad deep balls very well. No one is Randy. With that said I was waiting for someone to quote it and then bring up Santana. Didn't think anyone remember my boy Santana.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Here are some "facts" in regard to our long ball game..

-JW must get/be more accurate

-JW must give our WRS a chance to make the catch (understand this leaves us open to more picks)

-Our WRS need to get better separation/get open deep

-Our WRS need to fight for the ball more/better and adjust to the ball

-Our OL needs to give better protection so that JW has a better pocket and timing isn't thrown off

-Deep shots need to be called and taken at opportune times with opportune matchups

There you have it folks..
Super K

Postby ComingThisFall » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:15 pm

Winston also needs to keep a good grip on the ball while he's looking wayyy downfield. Can think of at least Raiders and Rams game from last yr where he got sacked/fumble.
ComingThisFall

Postby Super K » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:21 pm

ComingThisFall wrote:Winston also needs to keep a good grip on the ball while he's looking wayyy downfield. Can think of at least Raiders and Rams game from last yr where he got sacked/fumble.

While I agree with you, that's when most strip sacks occur for any and every QB..

Unless you have the bionic hand strength of Aaron Rodgers.. (ie Cowboys playoff game)..
Super K

Postby paco74 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:47 pm

tjax03 wrote:
Doctor wrote:Wait wait wait.... so Winston misses deep because he has never had a really fast weapon to go deep? That's like saying you've never been with a hot girl which explains why you always strike out with hot girls.... worse excuse making yet.

He doesn't have a deep threat so there is no use to even practice it. Even then game speed is a totally different speed. Then when you try to with a slower WR like Evans during an actual game it looks terrible. As he isn't the guy to get under the ball or go get the ball.

Once the Bucs get this threat they can use it more and more. It still may look bad in games but keep calling plays for it and about the 6th game it should be a thing of beauty.

Evans ran 0.05 seconds slower 40 than OBJ. I think he looks slow because he is so tall.
paco74

Postby ComingThisFall » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:29 pm

Super K wrote:
ComingThisFall wrote:Winston also needs to keep a good grip on the ball while he's looking wayyy downfield. Can think of at least Raiders and Rams game from last yr where he got sacked/fumble.

While I agree with you, that's when most strip sacks occur for any and every QB..

Unless you have the bionic hand strength of Aaron Rodgers.. (ie Cowboys playoff game)..

I guess it just gets me that Jameis is so dynamic when he opts to run with the ball. But when he goes east/west, he sorta becomes more vulnerable. Idk guess I'm having an MDB moment
ComingThisFall

Postby Caradoc » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:52 pm

This excuse is a reach of impressive proportions, Mr. Simpson.
Caradoc

Postby Rocker » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:35 pm

real bucs fan wrote:On the contrary. Evans is a heck of a deep threat, he's just never had a QB who can throw an accurate deep ball.
Rocker

Postby Crocaneers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:48 am

Who needs a deep threat ?

Sincerely,

Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Crocaneers

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:44 pm

real bucs fan wrote:On the contrary. Evans is a heck of a deep threat, he's just never had a QB who can throw an accurate deep ball.

Evans is indeed a deep threat, but I think the better choice of words is someone who is a speed threat. Which obviously we don't have much of, which is why we are hot on the trail of DeSean Jackson right now.
Miller4Prez64

Postby terrytate » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm

paco74 wrote:
tjax03 wrote:

Evans ran 0.05 seconds slower 40 than OBJ. I think he looks slow because he is so tall.

The truth. It was believed at his combine he could have easily made the 4.4 range had he run with better form. Evans is not slow.
terrytate

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:25 pm

terrytate wrote:
paco74 wrote:Evans ran 0.05 seconds slower 40 than OBJ. I think he looks slow because he is so tall.

The truth. It was believed at his combine he could have easily made the 4.4 range had he run with better form. Evans is not slow.

Still faster than Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell.
Bootz2004

Postby paco74 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:51 am

Shorter guys look like burners because their legs are moving so much faster lol.

Look at 6'4" safety Obi Melifonwu. That freak ran a smooth 4.40s 40 at the combine.
paco74

Postby sanka » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:09 am

He does now
sanka

Return to Team Discussions