Is Jameis in trouble again?

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Is Jameis in trouble again?

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:15 am

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/1879 ... support-qb

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Wednesday acknowledged that Jameis Winston made a mistake with his poor choice of words to elementary school children regarding gender roles last week that drew public scrutiny but also said they fully supported the quarterback.

Speaking to reporters at the NFL scouting combine on Wednesday, head coach Dirk Koetter and general manager Jason Licht defended the 23-year-old starting quarterback.

"Obviously the situation with the school last week, in the midst of a school presentation, Jameis, he made a mistake," Koetter said. "And he owned up to that mistake. He's 23 years old. I think anyone who has to stand behind a microphone and talk to a group of people, you're going to make mistakes from time to time. There's been other ones in the sports world very recently."

Winston told the fifth-grade class at Melrose Elementary school in St. Petersburg, Florida, "All my young boys, stand up. The ladies, sit down," Winston said. "But all my boys, stand up. We strong, right? We strong! We strong, right? All my boys, tell me one time: I can do anything I put my mind to. Now, a lot of boys aren't supposed to be soft-spoken. You know what I'm saying? One day y'all are going to have a very deep voice like this [in deep voice]. One day, you'll have a very, very deep voice.

"But the ladies, they're supposed to be silent, polite, gentle. My men, my men [are] supposed to be strong. I want y'all to tell me what the third rule of life is: I can do anything I put my mind to."

""He unfortunately made a mistake, used a poor word choice. He knows it. He owned it. We are fully-supportive of Jameis. I could sit here and talk for hours about how much we love Jameis Winston. From ownership to everyone in the building, we fully support Jameis."

Buccaneers GM Jason Licht
The Tampa Bay Times posted video of Winston's comments.

Winston later acknowledged his "poor word choice" to the Times and said that he only intended to motivate a male student in the back of the classroom but didn't want to single him out. It was troubling for some, however, given that Winston had faced allegations of sexual assault as a student at Florida State in 2012. He was never charged with a crime, but did settle a federal lawsuit with the accuser in December. The school also agreed to pay the woman a $950,000 settlement as part of a Title IX complaint.

"Jameis continues to exceed expectations as the face of our franchise every single day," Koetter said. "We couldn't be happier with Jameis. It was an unfortunate situation. He owned up to it and we've got to move forward."
Phantom Phenom

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:24 am

The kicker with this whole thing is, the school event/function wasn't even JW's obligation (from what I've read)...

A teammate asked him to come and, off the cuff, he up and did..

We (rightfully) talk a ton about Vjax around here and what he does in and with the community, but damn..JW volunteers a TON of his time..especially to help with school/children functions...

It'd be a real damn shame if this incident curtailed his efforts and enthusiasm...
Super K

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:26 am

Super K wrote:The kicker with this whole thing is, the school event/function wasn't even JW's obligation (from what I've read)...

We (rightfully) talk a ton about Vjax around here and what he does in and with the community, but damn..JW volunteers a TON of his time..especially to help with school/children functions...

It'd be a real damn shame if this incident curtailed his efforts and enthusiasm...

I doubt it will. Jameis has more enthusiasm than he knows what to do with, and I don't think this thing hurt his "brand" or his self-esteem for that matter.
MJW

Postby Teitan » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29 am

MJW wrote:
Super K wrote:The kicker with this whole thing is, the school event/function wasn't even JW's obligation (from what I've read)...

I doubt it will. Jameis has more enthusiasm than he knows what to do with, and I don't think this thing hurt his "brand" or his self-esteem for that matter.

Yeah I don't think it will stop him from doing these things. I'm ready for real football news because I'm tired of this story already. I can't believe people are still writing about it. Even the places that are "defending" him are milking it for more than it's worth. Pewter Report tweets a link for their take every hour or so it seems.
Teitan

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:31 am

Teitan wrote:
MJW wrote:

Yeah I don't think it will stop him from doing these things. I'm ready for real football news because I'm tired of this story already. I can't believe people are still writing about it. Even the places that are "defending" him are milking it for more than it's worth. Pewter Report tweets a link for their take every hour or so it seems.

It's just the 24 hour news cycle trying to find something to eat my friend.

There are many, many times I miss opening the newspaper each morning and reading the "transactions" portion of the sports page to find out what I needed to find out.
MJW

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:35 am

MJW wrote:
Teitan wrote:

It's just the 24 hour news cycle trying to find something to eat my friend.

There are many, many times I miss opening the newspaper each morning and reading the "transactions" portion of the sports page to find out what I needed to find out.

Ha! No doubt!! Updates/info old school style..
Super K

Postby Bucs2theSB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:37 pm

I don't see anything wrong with what Winston did.
Bucs2theSB

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Bucs2theSB wrote:I don't see anything wrong with what Winston did.

Hey, what's up man!

I don't want to spoil anything for you but, Trump is now president and the Pats won the SB after the falcons blew a 25 point lead (MB voice)...

OK, it's now March 9th and I think you are all caught up...
Super K

Postby Bucs2theSB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:46 pm

Super K wrote:

Hey, what's up man!

I don't want to spoil anything for you but, Trump is now president and the Pats won the SB after the falcons blew a 25 point lead (MB voice)...

Appreciate it man! Haven't been around here so just catching up on everything
Bucs2theSB

Postby RedLeader » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:22 pm

Super K wrote:

Hey, what's up man!

Lol.
RedLeader

Previous

Return to Team Discussions