Dread's Bucs mock offseason

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Dread's Bucs mock offseason

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:50 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:Can we get Montravious Adams in the second instead of Lawson?

I'm thinking right school, wrong guy.

Imho Lawson will get drafted before Adams, so I'd say yes.

The caveat to that is that this draft class is pretty thin at bigger 300+lb DTs on day 1 or 2. Guys like are Soloman Thomas and Jonathan Allen are elite interior D-linemen, but not in the mold of an A-gap guy like Adams. So Adams value could elevate due to supply. This actually a pretty solid class for EDGE prospects like Lawson, which I'm sure is a reason he's down on some big boards.
DreadNaught

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:59 am

real bucs fan wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:
From the teams standpoint they should want to extend him ASAP. Like you stated, his value is sky high right now. It's not going to drop. It can only go up. With that going up so will the price tag. Your reasoning was all wrong. A drop in production will not make him cheaper. 1st round picks routinely re-sign after year 3.

From Evans standpoint he'd be best served waiting. See what those guys in that 2014 class get and see your starting point. He's the 2nd most productive WR from that class so the number will be high.

Link?

You're forgetting Mike Evans was the most targeted WR in football last year. Assuming we can add other weapons (like a ball demanding Desean) and get the run game going, he's going to be targeted alot less.

Don't double down on the stupid here, RBF. His value is not dropping. Yes he was the most targeted because of the reasons you stated. If we get another weapon and get the run game going it will as a result make Evans more EFFICIENT. Instead of games where he's going 5-14 catch/target ratio, there will be more 5-8 games. No one wants his targets to stay where they are. We want him to be more efficient. Him dropping targets won't drop his price. For comparison, Doug Baldwin had 2 fewer catches than Evans on 48 fewer targets.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:11 am

I'd agree with Bootz here in that the likelihood of Evans value decreasing is very low. Other than suspension for substance abuse/PEDs or something off-field I don't see how that is possible. Evans has already done enough in his first 3 years, combined with his potential to warrant top level WR money in his next contract.

Bootz's point about Evans waiting longer with increase the value of his next contract is probably correct. The market is always increasing as the cap increases. Which is why I think the Bucs should just take the highest APY WR contract right now and offer that to Evans. Make him the highest paid WR in the game (or at least in the ballpark) and increase his 2017 cap hit now while the team is better position to absorb it. Beckham will reset/raise the bar of the WR market in his next contract anyways.

It's ultimately up to Evans on when he wants to re-sign. He and everyone else knows he's in for a big payday whether it's this offseason or next. If he wanted to really max out he would let his contract run out through the end of 2018 and hit the FA market in following offseason prior to 2019 and make teams bid.
DreadNaught

Postby Brazen331 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:22 am

He is not going to get more than ODB you'd think. And at his age he can get 2 massive contracts. It makes sense for him to extend for megabucks now to remain with Winston, build that rapport, pad those stats, and cash in again in 5 years when he's 28. Lucky man.
Brazen331

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 am

DreadNaught wrote:I'd agree with Bootz here in that the likelihood of Evans value decreasing is very low. Other than suspension for substance abuse/PEDs or something off-field I don't see how that is possible. Evans has already done enough in his first 3 years, combined with his potential to warrant top level WR money in his next contract.

Bootz's point about Evans waiting longer with increase the value of his next contract is probably correct. The market is always increasing as the cap increases. Which is why I think the Bucs should just take the highest APY WR contract right now and offer that to Evans. Make him the highest paid WR in the game (or at least in the ballpark) and increase his 2017 cap hit now while the team is better position to absorb it. Beckham will reset/raise the bar of the WR market in his next contract anyways.

It's ultimately up to Evans on when he wants to re-sign. He and everyone else knows he's in for a big payday whether it's this offseason or next. If he wanted to really max out he would let his contract run out through the end of 2018 and hit the FA market in following offseason prior to 2019 and make teams bid.

Absolutely. The Bucs would benefit from signing him sooner.

Another way to look at it is this. Evans is 23 and eligible for an extension. Almost unheard of. But say he decides to sign the highest WR contract now, AJ Greens 4yr/$60mil/$15mil APY. He'll again be up for a contract when he's 27. That's another huge payday, provided he continues to perform,which I have no doubts about if he's healthy.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 am

Bill Barnwell has an article this morning describing the priorities of each of the NFC Souths teams.

Number 1 for Tampa? Picking up Evans 5th year option. It's so simple and obvious, yet here we are.

I mean sure we could "lock him up" with a long term extension, but it really is not something we should be prioritizing.
real bucs fan

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 am

real bucs fan wrote:Bill Barnwell has an article this morning describing the priorities of each of the NFC Souths teams.

Number 1 for Tampa? Picking up Evans 5th year option. It's so simple and obvious, yet here we are.

I mean sure we could "lock him up" with a long term extension, but it really is not something we should be prioritizing.

Meh, it's not that big of a deal. Evans will re-sign here in time. My only point was the benefit from Bucs cap perspective of getting it done this offseason.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:14 am

DreadNaught wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:Bill Barnwell has an article this morning describing the priorities of each of the NFC Souths teams.

Meh, it's not that big of a deal. Evans will re-sign here in time. My only point was the benefit from Bucs cap perspective of getting it done this offseason.

This. It really doesn't matter in the long run. The only upside to using the 5th year option I see is if he has some catastrophic injury, or has some Aaron Hernandezish legal issue. Otherwise, he's going to be a Buc until sometime in the 2020s and he's going to be well paid. So whatever.
MJW

Previous

Return to Team Discussions