***OFFICIAL 2017 NFL Offseason thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 NFL Offseason thread***

Postby deltbucs » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Nano wrote:For his entire six-year career so far, Channing Crowder never left a game to use the bathroom, instead urinating on himself. Every single game he's played.

****ing gators, man...
deltbucs

Postby PrimeMinister » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:53 pm

Nano wrote:For his entire six-year career so far, Channing Crowder never left a game to use the bathroom, instead urinating on himself. Every single game he's played.

Wait what?
PrimeMinister

Postby Caradoc » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:28 am

A little bit of fun watching. I remember a Redskin player doing the out of bounds thing a few years ago, I think in a game against us.
Caradoc

Postby Buc2 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:22 am

Mr. Blanks thinks his team will overcome the blowing of a 28-3 lead in SB LI to remain at the top for years to come.

Arthur Blank: Falcons won’t be one-year wonders
Curtis Crabtree
ProFootball Talk on NBC Sports•Jul 14, 2017, 2:27 AM

After earning just their second Super Bowl appearance in franchise history, Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank is vowing that his team won’t just be a flash in the pan.

Following a presentation at the Atlanta Sports Awards Thursday night where Blank was given a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Atlanta Sports Council, Blank said he believes his team is positioned to be good for the long haul.

“I think the most important thing about last year was it was a great honor playing in the Super Bowl. It was great honor having the wonderful season that we did for our franchise but to me what I take away for me personally the greatest honor from last year is that I feel now that we have what I’ve envisioned for many years is to be a sustainably winning organization,” Blank said, via D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

“I love our head coach. I love our general manager. I love our coaches, coordinators and whole personnel department. I love a lot of the talent that we have, all the talent that we have. … I think we’re in a great position. I look forward to this year and many years to come. It’s not about a one-trick pony or one-year wonder. It’s about creating a sustainably winning organization. And we’ve done that.”

The Falcons had a sustained run of success under previous head coach Mike Smith. The Falcons reached the playoffs four times in five years with an NFC Championship game appearance in 2012. But after two down seasons with Smith at the helm, the Falcons changed course and installed Dan Quinn as head coach. After a year of growing pains, the Falcons exploded offensively and had every chance to win their first Lombardi Trophy in February.

Sustaining success is a difficult endeavor, particularly in the NFC South where there is a new division winner just about every season. It will be a challenge for the Falcons to put the collapse of Super Bowl LI behind them, but Blank believes they’re built for the task.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Bootz2004 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 am

Falcons might be 1 year wonders. They might not. Either way it won't be because of the Superbowl outcome. The so called "Superbowl hangover" effect is a poor excuse the fans and media gives as to why teams don't do as well the following season.
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:08 am

Bootz2004 wrote:Falcons might be 1 year wonders. They might not. Either way it won't be because of the Superbowl outcome. The so called "Superbowl hangover" effect is a poor excuse the fans and media gives as to why teams don't do as well the following season.

Meh, imo the 'SB hangover' is just a catchy term to explain the very real phenomena of how teams that lose the SB are statistically much poorer the following season than the team that wins the SB. But I suppose all explanations can be construed as an excuse to some degree.

I don't know how it will apply to Atlanta in 2017. But it's fair to say history is not on their side in terms of making it back for a deep playoff run. They are certainly a talented roster that didn't lose anyone of significance. If they can stay close to as fortunate on the injury front I'd be surprised if they are not a 10+ win team.
DreadNaught

Postby terrytate » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:13 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Bootz2004 wrote:Falcons might be 1 year wonders. They might not. Either way it won't be because of the Superbowl outcome. The so called "Superbowl hangover" effect is a poor excuse the fans and media gives as to why teams don't do as well the following season.

Meh, imo the 'SB hangover' is just a catchy term to explain the very real phenomena of how teams that lose the SB are statistically much poorer the following season than the team that wins the SB. But I suppose all explanations can be construed as an excuse to some degree.

I don't know how it will apply to Atlanta in 2017. But it's fair to say history is not on their side in terms of making it back for a deep playoff run. They are certainly a talented roster that didn't lose anyone of significance. If they can stay close to as fortunate on the injury front I'd be surprised if they are not a 10+ win team.

In my own opinion, I think the Super Bowl hangover is simply that teams are often on a charmed streak when they make it to the big game. Like the Falcons last year with their otherworldly luck in avoiding injuries. It's difficult to replace that luck in the follow up year.

Look at our own Bucs. Following our Super Bowl win, we were in good shape to repeat. Then, everyone got hurt.
terrytate

Postby Doctor » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:56 am

Broncos were pretty good after their SB loss so...
Doctor

Postby MJW » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:26 am

terrytate wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:

In my own opinion, I think the Super Bowl hangover is simply that teams are often on a charmed streak when they make it to the big game. Like the Falcons last year with their otherworldly luck in avoiding injuries. It's difficult to replace that luck in the follow up year.

Look at our own Bucs. Following our Super Bowl win, we were in good shape to repeat. Then, everyone got hurt.

This is a solid theory. Very few teams are good enough to get to the Superbowl without a lot of things going right. A lot of things went right for the Falcons last year - especially injuries (as discussed elsewhere.) They might have a lot of things go right for them again this year, but they might not. And if they don't, I don't think they're good enough to get back personally.
MJW

Postby MJW » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:24 am

If you think about it, there are really two kinds of Superbowl teams - the ones that are just THAT GOOD and the ones who were pretty good but stayed healthy, got some breaks in the schedule, etc, etc.

The Belichick Patriots are generally THAT GOOD. I remember one year they had something like 14 guys on IR and won the Superbowl. Most teams aren't that good. Blame the salary cap, I guess. IMHO Atlanta falls into category of good teams that had things break the right way.

Interestingly, if you remember our Superbowl, I think the popular conception was that the Raiders were THAT GOOD, and we were just a pretty good team that played a lot of weak opponents and had the game of our lives against the Eagles. Irritatingly there are still people who think that AFTER the outcome (Gruden knew all the plays, Callahan took a dive, Barrett Robbins distracted the Raiders, blah blah blah.) But I digress.
MJW

Postby Concrete » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:48 am

Michael Floyd suspended and apparently his defense was he drank a tea...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/14/nfl-suspends-michael-floyd-four-games/

Zimmer already said if he was lying he'd cut him, not that I'm advocating for us to sign him. This is probably the best we've ever looked at WR.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/13/mike-zimmer-threatened-michael-floyd-with-release-if-he-lied/
Concrete

Postby acmillis » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:18 pm

Concrete wrote:Michael Floyd suspended and apparently his defense was he drank a tea...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/14/nfl-suspends-michael-floyd-four-games/

Zimmer already said if he was lying he'd cut him, not that I'm advocating for us to sign him. This is probably the best we've ever looked at WR.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/07/13/mike-zimmer-threatened-michael-floyd-with-release-if-he-lied/

We released a drunk TE less than a year ago. There is no way in hell that we sign another drunk, mediocre pass catcher.
acmillis

Postby Bootz2004 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 pm

acmillis wrote:
Concrete wrote:Michael Floyd suspended and apparently his defense was he drank a tea...

We released a drunk TE less than a year ago. There is no way in hell that we sign another drunk, mediocre pass catcher.

We didn't need him when Arizona let him go, damn sure don't need him now.
Bootz2004

Postby Super K » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:43 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
acmillis wrote:We released a drunk TE less than a year ago. There is no way in hell that we sign another drunk, mediocre pass catcher.

We didn't need him when Arizona let him go, damn sure don't need him now.

Yep..
Super K

Postby Doctor » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:30 pm

The Austin American-Statesman reports Texans third-round RB D'Onta Foreman was arrested for marijuana possession and unlawful carrying of a weapon in Austin early Sunday morning.
A call was placed to University of Texas Police at 12:24 AM local time and Foreman was booked into Travis County Jail at 3 AM. Six other male suspects were cited and released on charges of marijuana possession while Foreman is still being held on $4,500 bail. Foreman was the recipient of last year's Doak Walker Award, which is given annually to college football's top running back. So far the Texans have yet to comment on the incident.
Doctor

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Doctor wrote:The Austin American-Statesman reports Texans third-round RB D'Onta Foreman was arrested for marijuana possession and unlawful carrying of a weapon in Austin early Sunday morning.
A call was placed to University of Texas Police at 12:24 AM local time and Foreman was booked into Travis County Jail at 3 AM. Six other male suspects were cited and released on charges of marijuana possession while Foreman is still being held on $4,500 bail. Foreman was the recipient of last year's Doak Walker Award, which is given annually to college football's top running back. So far the Texans have yet to comment on the incident.

I saw that. Report is stating that he had the gun legally and it was registered but because someone else had marijuana in the car, it became illegal possession of a firearm. I have no issues with weed at all even though I don't smoke. However some people let that **** run and then ruin their lives.
LoRdNlKoN

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:34 pm

LoRdNlKoN wrote:
Doctor wrote:The Austin American-Statesman reports Texans third-round RB D'Onta Foreman was arrested for marijuana possession and unlawful carrying of a weapon in Austin early Sunday morning.

I saw that. Report is stating that he had the gun legally and it was registered but because someone else had marijuana in the car, it became illegal possession of a firearm. I have no issues with weed at all even though I don't smoke. However some people let that **** run and then ruin their lives.

If true that's a BS law. A registered firearm should be legal despite whether your friend has weed on him or not.
PrimeMinister

Postby Caradoc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:35 pm

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/p ... -franchise

PFF "draft". Any player any age - pro through HS even if you want.

Imagine the world of football was starting over again, from scratch. If you were starting a franchise from square one, who would you use? What old players are still worthwhile as building blocks? How young is too young?

That was the challenge posed to our PFF analysts over the last week. It’s PFF’s first-ever Foundation Draft, imagining that our analysts were each put in charge of one of 32 NFL teams and picking their teams from scratch.

The rules: The player pool is made up of the entire world — NFL players, college players, high-schoolers, some talented player’s toddler. Age matters, position matters, but contracts do not. The game will be played just like it always has been.

Winston is the 6th QB picked
Evans is the second WR.
Caradoc

Postby Caradoc » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:36 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
LoRdNlKoN wrote:

If true that's a BS law. A registered firearm should be legal despite whether your friend has weed on him or not.

Based on that description, that's a law that would probably be invalidated by the courts if he pushed it far enough.
Caradoc

Postby PrimeMinister » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:38 pm

Pretty cool little off-season exercise.
PrimeMinister

Postby sanka » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:11 pm

Caradoc wrote:https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-the-pff-foundation-draft-who-would-you-choose-to-start-a-franchise

PFF "draft". Any player any age - pro through HS even if you want.

Imagine the world of football was starting over again, from scratch. If you were starting a franchise from square one, who would you use? What old players are still worthwhile as building blocks? How young is too young?

That was the challenge posed to our PFF analysts over the last week. It’s PFF’s first-ever Foundation Draft, imagining that our analysts were each put in charge of one of 32 NFL teams and picking their teams from scratch.

The rules: The player pool is made up of the entire world — NFL players, college players, high-schoolers, some talented player’s toddler. Age matters, position matters, but contracts do not. The game will be played just like it always has been.

Winston is the 6th QB picked
Evans is the second WR.

He is better than Carr and Wilson definitely .....Luck being #2 is a joke.
sanka

Postby LoRdNlKoN » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:41 pm

PrimeMinister wrote:
LoRdNlKoN wrote:

From the ESPN report as quoted by his attorney. Now exactly how truthful that is, remains to be seen.

"As he was leaving their residence, he was approached by police. Prior to a search of his vehicle, D'Onta alerted the officer that he had a handgun inside of his vehicle. This legal handgun was recently purchased by D'Onta and registered in his name. The handgun was properly secured inside of his vehicle as required by Texas law. A passenger in D'Onta's vehicle was in possession of marijuana."

And this is the Texas law.

"While the UCW statute specifically states that a defendant may carry their weapon on their own premises or motor vehicle, one element of the crime commonly triggers a UCW charge when the individual is in their vehicle… that being the commission of a crime other than a Class C misdemeanor. According to Texas law, carrying a weapon while “engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor” will result in a Class A misdemeanor UCW charge."
LoRdNlKoN

Postby acmillis » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:55 am

acmillis

Postby Caradoc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:47 pm

That's really kind of out of the blue.
Caradoc

Postby PrimeMinister » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:13 pm

Signs of future turmoil?
PrimeMinister

Postby Caradoc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:59 pm

We can hope.

Between this, and drafting players who make more sense for a Brady type QB than a Newton type, I'm hoping there are some philosophical differences in that organization and Gettleman lost the political battle.
Caradoc

Postby Nano » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Chargers WR Mike Williams could require season ending back surgery
Nano

Postby MJW » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:31 pm

Nano wrote:Chargers WR Mike Williams could require season ending back surgery

That's brutal. I hope he can avoid it. Back surgery is the worst.

Thankfully for the Chargers (not that it matters to this young man,) they were already loaded at WR. It made the pick a head-scratcher for me, but that's neither here nor there.
MJW

Postby Doctor » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:58 pm

Rumors that he hid the injury during the pre-draft process. If the kid managed to do it under the noses of all those doctors and medical personnel and get away with it, more power to him.

Herniated discs are really tricky depending on how bad it is. Mostly it becomes merely a "pain management" thing, but it could get really bad and lead to long term damage. If there's any way to avoid surgery, better for it, and he's clearly going to be getting the best treatment money can buy.
Doctor

Postby Caradoc » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:08 pm

Doctor wrote:Rumors that he hid the injury during the pre-draft process. If the kid managed todo it lie his ass off and con people out of millions of dollars, under the noses of all those doctors and medical personnel and get away with it, more power to him.

If he did this and it affected his draft position, then everyone under him is making less than they should have, and he is getting paid more.
Caradoc

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions