***OFFICIAL 2017 NFL Offseason thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 NFL Offseason thread***

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:21 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:49ers acquire Zuttah from Ravens for 6th round pick

Great pickup for them.
Bootz2004

Postby tjax03 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:45 pm

Why do you think romo hasn't been released yet?

Jerry already played his hand when he said they would release romo. Now trying to create fake tension and competition by holding on to him for a draft pick?

This couldn't be more botched
tjax03

Postby theBKwhopper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:52 pm

I say we just pull the trigger on AP. Solve our RB situation for this year, maybe draft one to groom or wait til next year. I want to focus our draft on the defense.
theBKwhopper

Postby uscbucsfan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:00 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:I say we just pull the trigger on AP. Solve our RB situation for this year, maybe draft one to groom or wait til next year. I want to focus our draft on the defense.

Most don't believe he would solve the RB situation for a year...Hence the reason he's a free agent.
uscbucsfan

Postby theBKwhopper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:26 pm

uscbucsfan wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:I say we just pull the trigger on AP. Solve our RB situation for this year, maybe draft one to groom or wait til next year. I want to focus our draft on the defense.

Most don't believe he would solve the RB situation for a year...Hence the reason he's a free agent.

I don't see him as the player he was even two years ago, but I'd bet he's still a very good player. Worth $8mil in my eyes.
theBKwhopper

Postby Bootz2004 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:28 pm

theBKwhopper wrote:
uscbucsfan wrote:Most don't believe he would solve the RB situation for a year...Hence the reason he's a free agent.

I don't see him as the player he was even two years ago, but I'd bet he's still a very good player. Worth $8mil in my eyes.

What makes you believe he can stay healthy for a 16 game season?
Bootz2004

Postby MJW » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:41 pm

tjax03 wrote:Why do you think romo hasn't been released yet?

Jerry already played his hand when he said they would release romo. Now trying to create fake tension and competition by holding on to him for a draft pick?

It works the other way sometimes, though - look at the Niners trading for Jeremy Zuttah today. Not for MUCH, mind you, but perhaps by leaking that Romo would be released, a team that wanted him realized they weren't going to get him on the open market, and now wants to deal. Maybe Jerry tipped his hand to encourage an interested party to assess the situation.
MJW

Postby theBKwhopper » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:51 pm

Bootz2004 wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:I don't see him as the player he was even two years ago, but I'd bet he's still a very good player. Worth $8mil in my eyes.

The fact that he always shuts his doubters up. Whenever you think the guy can't do it, or he can't stay healthy, he proves you wrong. If he doesn't, then no harm done. I have less faith in everybody else out there.
theBKwhopper

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:04 am

Latavius Murray signs with the Vikings.

AD's chances of finding a starting job are getting beaten with a switch right now.
MJW

Postby Caradoc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:00 am

MJW wrote:
tjax03 wrote:Why do you think romo hasn't been released yet?

It works the other way sometimes, though - look at the Niners trading for Jeremy Zuttah today. Not for MUCH, mind you, but perhaps by leaking that Romo would be released, a team that wanted him realized they weren't going to get him on the open market, and now wants to deal. Maybe Jerry tipped his hand to encourage an interested party to assess the situation.

You both (along with a lot of media) miss the third option. Maybe Romo doesn't want to be released. He is set to make a boatload. Any trade absorbs that. Maybe he would rather get that bank than negotiate a smaller option. The longer he is NOT released, the higher his price can be. It ain't just Dallas that benefits from a trade.
Caradoc

Postby terrytate » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:42 am

MJW wrote:Latavius Murray signs with the Vikings.

AD's chances of finding a starting job are getting beaten with a switch right now.

Yup. Depending on his pay demands, the Raiders or Packers might well be it. Then again, the people who are still in the market might just be eyeballing drafting a rookie. At this point, he might not get a bite until the draft is over. Whoever still misses out on the elite backs when the music stops might offer AP a seat. Hell, could be us if Dougie gets the boot and we don't draft a guy.
terrytate

Postby MJW » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:38 am

terrytate wrote:

Yup. Depending on his pay demands, the Raiders or Packers might well be it. Then again, the people who are still in the market might just be eyeballing drafting a rookie. At this point, he might not get a bite until the draft is over. Whoever still misses out on the elite backs when the music stops might offer AP a seat. Hell, could be us if Dougie gets the boot and we don't draft a guy.

It's funny because heading into the off-season he was giving a haughty,"let's see who gets a chance to woo me!" vibe. Now he's most likely waiting on an injury, or someone's draft plans falling through, or a low-ball incentive-y deal in a platoon with some back who grew up watching him play.

I really hope that whatever happens with Doug, we're more creative than either signing AD or Charles, OR drafting a back in the first round. But I fear not. Licht has his strengths but creativity isn't one of them. You know the old line, when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail? Licht has his inspired moments but for the most part he addresses roster issues in the most obvious way possible.
MJW

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:02 am

MJW wrote:
terrytate wrote:

It's funny because heading into the off-season he was giving a haughty,"let's see who gets a chance to woo me!" vibe. Now he's most likely waiting on an injury, or someone's draft plans falling through, or a low-ball incentive-y deal in a platoon with some back who grew up watching him play.

I really hope that whatever happens with Doug, we're more creative than either signing AD or Charles, OR drafting a back in the first round. But I fear not. Licht has his strengths but creativity isn't one of them. You know the old line, when you have a hammer everything looks like a nail? Licht has his inspired moments but for the most part he addresses roster issues in the most obvious way possible.

I think you aren't giving Licht enough credit.

Not calling him a genius or anything, but I find his methods prudent and deliberate.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby IchabodCrane84 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:09 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:

Not calling him a genius or anything, but I find his methods prudent and deliberate.

Plus he can babysit and hold a beer at the same time.

IchabodCrane84

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 am

An important skillset for any father.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:27 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:An important skillset for any father.

Indeed, I have a 13 month old and I have developed this skill over time. Things get tough when my daughter gets cranky and starts flailing all over and I have make the quick the decision of whether to drop the beer so both hands can support the child, or just squeeze tighter. :P

My instincts are to never drop a beer or the child, so it's quite the paradox at times.
DreadNaught

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:30 am

DreadNaught wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:An important skillset for any father.

Indeed, I have a 13 month old and I have developed this skill over time. Things get tough when my daughter gets cranky and starts flailing all over and I have make the quick the decision of whether to drop the beer so both hands can support the child, or just squeeze tighter. :P

My instincts are to never drop a beer or the child, so it's quite the paradox at times.

You can always have another kid. Remember that.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Super K » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:01 am

Ha! You've had a couple nice ones the past few days..
Super K

Postby Swashy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:20 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
theBKwhopper wrote:I don't see him as the player he was even two years ago, but I'd bet he's still a very good player. Worth $8mil in my eyes.

Why should we believe Martin can stay healthy for a 16 game season? Nevermind the fact he's already gonna miss the first 4 games.
Swashy

Postby Swashy » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:37 am

At least AP can manage better than 500 yards a season -something Martin has failed to do no less than 3 times in his 5 year career. And AP is a proven NFL commodity. If Martin comes back and is ineffective this year then we need to move on from him. The reason a guy like AP deserves consideration is because the Bucs can't afford to throw this year away. And if Martin has a crappy year then what? Now we're damning ourselves to find a new RB in 2018 because we wouldn't take a prophylactic measure in March of 2017.

I've been quiet as well as patient with Martin for the same reasons as everyone else. There's always a reason with this guy for not reaching the next level. I do not fault him for what has happened because he HAS played well before and I'll cut him some slack. It's like the kid who sustains a C+ average but every now and again "he proves it" to himself and everyone when he pulls an A+ out of his hat more than once. I'm aware that this is a poor comparison but the thought process is that you don't give up on that kid no differently than Martin because he HAS had a few outstanding A+ years despite being an overall C+ RB. At least he is to me. With that said there are 2 possible outcomes: Either Martin steps up and proves he's the man or he doesn't. in the most objective view possible, it's an unsustainable business practice for this Bucs team (who is trying to reach the next level) to have Martin's unlucky storm cloud following them around every year.

I would take a chance on AP or at least drafting someone like Cook (if he's BPA) just to give Martin a push because I do not believe he will be successful without it. He's already "done fucked up" and got himself suspended for the first 4 games of the season with the full knowledge that he's supposed to be the man around here.

I've been patient but the clock has struck midnight. It's time to find out who Doug Martin really is and I am completely in favor of AP or drafting someone like Cook to safeguard for his potential failure.
Swashy

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:25 am

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora suggested to "keep an eye on" the Raiders and Lions as potential landing spots for free agent Adrian Peterson.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:37 am

"Poe is seeking a one-year deal but won’t come cheap to whichever team lands him. Poe, 26, has now visited with the Colts, Falcons and Dolphins and the next stop on his tour is expected to be with the Raiders."
Phantom Phenom

Postby Bootz2004 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:39 am

Phantom Phenom wrote:"Poe is seeking a one-year deal but won’t come cheap to whichever team lands him. Poe, 26, has now visited with the Colts, Falcons and Dolphins and the next stop on his tour is expected to be with the Raiders."

Ego & market took a hit
Bootz2004

Postby DreadNaught » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:58 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:"Poe is seeking a one-year deal but won’t come cheap to whichever team lands him. Poe, 26, has now visited with the Colts, Falcons and Dolphins and the next stop on his tour is expected to be with the Raiders."

Ego & market took a hit

Yup, the more I see from Poe the more I'm glad we didn't pursue him. I like him as a football player, but his attitude sucks it seems. There is always a reason teams let players walk in FA, sometimes its financial but if a player is talented and a team-first guy then an organization usually finds a way to retain that player (see Ravens w/ Brandon Williams). The fact that KC isn't even interested in keeping him on a 1yr prove it deal along with all these other teams letting him leave the building to pursue other options speaks volumes for Poe imo.

Makes the Baker signing all the sweeter.
DreadNaught

Postby pewterpirates » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:50 am

Falcons sign Poe....
pewterpirates

Postby threadkiller » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:56 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
MJW wrote:

How so?

What was prudent about trading two picks to move into the second round to draft a kicker? Or trading a pick to acquire a RFA who had been tendered at the no-pick level. We've bounced between spending orgies in free agency and "building through the draft". We have based the makeup of our offensive line around run blocking while developing a #1 overall pick QB. I'd describe Jason's tenure as scattershot and poorly thought out much more than prudent and deliberate.
threadkiller

Postby 2.0 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:05 pm

pewterpirates wrote:Falcons sign Poe....

1 yr $8mil, could be up to $10mil with incentives

Postby Phantom Phenom » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Falcons signed NT Dontari Poe, formerly of the Chiefs, to a one-year, $8 million contract.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Nano » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 pm

You have a worse delay than Plinko-bot
Nano

Postby beardmcdoug » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Nano wrote:You have a worse delay than Plinko-bot

cmon he was only 18 minutes behind
beardmcdoug

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions