***OFFICIAL 2017 NFL Offseason thread***

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: ***OFFICIAL 2017 NFL Offseason thread***

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:44 pm

DreadNaught wrote:
PrimeMinister wrote:Aaron Donald's contract will look like 2015 QB money.

First $20m APY non-QB I'd imagine

Mario Williams kind of already did that a few years back, earning QB money. But back then it was more around $14-15M, so like present day Glennon money, lol. Von Miller is doing that now, pretty sure his avg is over $20M. They made a lot of his 2016 salary into bonus for cap purposes, but all the same he's making over $20M a year for the next four years. His club option in 2021 is a modest $18M if the Broncos exercise it.
Doctor

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 am

Doctor wrote:Von Miller is doing that now, pretty sure his avg is over $20M. They made a lot of his 2016 salary into bonus for cap purposes, but all the same he's making over $20M a year for the next four years. His club option in 2021 is a modest $18M if the Broncos exercise it.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

You're close, but you're also
\
LINK
Von Miller signed a 6 year, $114,500,000 contract with the Denver Broncos, including a $17,000,000 signing bonus, $70,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $19,083,333.
DreadNaught

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:58 am

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski thinks "it would make a lot of sense" for the Eagles to trade Jordan Matthews.
Kempski doesn't expect the Eagles to give Matthews a contract extension at any point, and he's entering the final year of his rookie deal. If GM Howie Roseman is opposed to an extension, then he has two choices: trade Matthews for a potential Day 2 pick or let him play out his deal and possibly land a third-round compensatory pick for 2019. Matthews and newbies Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith are all essentially on one-year pacts, so Philly could overhaul the WR spot again in 2018.

I'd trade a 3rd rounder for Matthews in a heartbeat. The guy is one of the best slot WRs in the league and is exactly the kind of "more athletic" upgrade from Hump everyone keeps asking for. 24 years old, three years of experience in the league, already established, it's like drafting a super rookie. We can only hope that any WR we draft in any round will turn out to be like Jordan Matthews. And sure, maybe some will end up better, maybe some will end up far worse, but I'd rather take a known commodity here. Especially if the cost is a 3rd rounder.
Doctor

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:14 am

Doctor wrote:Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski thinks "it would make a lot of sense" for the Eagles to trade Jordan Matthews.
Kempski doesn't expect the Eagles to give Matthews a contract extension at any point, and he's entering the final year of his rookie deal. If GM Howie Roseman is opposed to an extension, then he has two choices: trade Matthews for a potential Day 2 pick or let him play out his deal and possibly land a third-round compensatory pick for 2019. Matthews and newbies Alshon Jeffery and Torrey Smith are all essentially on one-year pacts, so Philly could overhaul the WR spot again in 2018.

I'd trade a 3rd rounder for Matthews in a heartbeat. The guy is one of the best slot WRs in the league and is exactly the kind of "more athletic" upgrade from Hump everyone keeps asking for. 24 years old, three years of experience in the league, already established, it's like drafting a super rookie. We can only hope that any WR we draft in any round will turn out to be like Jordan Matthews. And sure, maybe some will end up better, maybe some will end up far worse, but I'd rather take a known commodity here. Especially if the cost is a 3rd rounder.

Before debating what kind of a player Matthews is, look at the financial piece of this would be deal..

What makes drafting a guy on Day 2 more appealing is because said pick can be had at a lower salary.. Especially with the Djax deal on the books and Evans getting an extension next year..

Trading for Matthews means we either give him a contract extension or he's due for one next year forcing us to dump a BIG chunk of change into 3WRs..

Or he's rented for a year or 2, chasing greener pastures next year..

My thinking/timeline may be off..Anyone can feel free to correct if it is..
Super K

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am

Well that does depend on what kind of contract he gets, absolutely.

I don't really care much about a rookie being so cheap. Again, we've had so much left over cap for years now. Do you have a plan for the $27M that just sitting there for 2017? We're in no danger of running out, even with people worrying about what's going to happen in 2019 or whatever. There is a lot of football to be played between now and then. And we can structure it as we do most contracts so that the guarantee is in the first two years, so when we are due to sign our own guys in 2019 (which shouldn't be a problem anyways) we can then decide if Matthews contract is worth it or not. Pretty safe bet to think it still will be, but we could cut him if he totally busts.

And again, what kind of money do you think a WR that's never broken 1K and has had only two 50+ yard catches in his career is going to command? Even if he gets Sanu or Robert Woods money, it's still be a good deal. Woods is making $15 his first two years, but can be cut after that. His 2019 salary is $5M, 2020 $6M, 2021 $8M. Not to mention Matthews won't have anywhere near the leverage those guys have given they were FA. Matthews is making $1M this year, he isn't going to demand a Woods deal. He'll take something much lower to up his current year earnings and protect himself from injury.

Matthews is a top 5 slot WR in the NFL. And he's still only 24 and he could still be developed further, perhaps into an eventual DJax heir (deja vu?) in this system. Even if now, a top slot WR is worth it.
Doctor

Postby Patrick McIrish » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:52 am

Doc, stick to pretending to be in medicine, your football takes are killing me over here.

Geez. :roll: :roll:
Patrick McIrish

Postby Super K » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:23 am

Doc, the money/contract piece is definitely not one of my strengths in discussing football (insert obligatory kick in the nuts here)..So you may be 100% right..

However, if Matthews is a "top 5" kind of guy AND not looking for a big payday, why isn't Philly looking to keep him?
Super K

Postby Doctor » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:54 am

Super K wrote:Doc, the money/contract piece is definitely not one of my strengths in discussing football (insert obligatory kick in the nuts here)..So you may be 100% right..

However, if Matthews is a "top 5" kind of guy AND not looking for a big payday, why isn't Philly looking to keep him?

He probably is, but what BIG means and how much he can leverage or chooses to is what matter. Would you really walk away from a guaranteed $15M while betting on yourself on a $1M year? Philly isn't going to offer that.
Eagles wanted to make him a starting outside WR, but he is a slot guy (atm). Eagles are still looking for a great WR and will likely be drafting one. That rookie will likely take on the slot role from Matthews for the time being, hopefully eventually taking over one of the outside spots and becoming a true #1 (so the Eagles hope). So you have a great slot guy who probably won't be your slot guy on his last year of his contract. Of course you try to get something for him. Not to mention you already have other projects in Agholor and DGB already under contract for the next could of seasons for cheap. Matthews is simply the odd man out of a crowded, lack luster WR corp.
Doctor

Postby VauntedTampa2 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:02 pm

Since when was Matthews any good?
VauntedTampa2

Postby Nano » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:22 pm

Apparently Carolina is in talks with the 49ers for the #2 pick. They're offering 3 high picks, and they're supposedly aiming for Fournette
Nano

Postby Phantom Phenom » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:30 pm

Nano wrote:Apparently Carolina is in talks with the 49ers for the #2 pick. They're offering 3 high picks, and they're supposedly aiming for Fournette

Phantom Phenom

Postby Caradoc » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:45 pm

Damn. Fournette to Carolina was one of those "worst ways the draft could fall" for me. Hopefully Lynch bleeds them dry for it.
Caradoc

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:42 pm

Indeed it was. Ugh.
Doctor

Postby acmillis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 am

Nano wrote:Apparently Carolina is in talks with the 49ers for the #2 pick. They're offering 3 high picks, and they're supposedly aiming for Fournette

I like this. IMO, RBs are a dime/dozen, even Fournette... so CAR giving up future high-round picks for a player that I believe will not be something you have to game plan for is great for us.
acmillis

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:33 am

Saints officially signed AP.

I hope the naysayers end up being right about him...
Deja Entendu

Postby DreadNaught » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:47 am

The RBs in our division are downright spooky if Carolina gets Fournette w/ Stewart and Cam. Ingram and AP in New Orleans, Freeman and Coleman in Atlanta.

All 3 teams already have former NFL MVPs at QB also.
DreadNaught

Postby deltbucs » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:49 am

DreadNaught wrote:The RBs in our division are downright spooky if Carolina gets Fournette w/ Stewart and Cam. Ingram and AP in New Orleans, Freeman and Coleman in Atlanta.

All 3 teams already have former NFL MVPs at QB also.

Hopefully they aren't too go up front and we continue to improve in that area.
deltbucs

Postby bahamian:bucfan » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:26 am

Deja Entendu wrote:Saints officially signed AP.

Damn, I really wanted us to sign him!

If Ap can be only 80% of his self; that will be scary! And imagine what Brees can do with an 80% Ap. ****, you stack the box; Brees will kill you. You play nickel/dime; Ap will kill you!

Damn!

And the crazy thing is this, I honestly hope that Peterson IS healthy. I dude is just a LION and I really want to see him do well.
bahamian:bucfan

Postby Sammich » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Phantom Phenom wrote:

I would love to see the Kitties trade multiple high rounders to trade up for a runningback. Their depth is getting a little sketchy and this trade would pay dividends to us for years to come.
Sammich

Postby Doctor » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:58 pm

bahamian:bucfan wrote:
Deja Entendu wrote:Saints officially signed AP.

Damn, I really wanted us to sign him!

If Ap can be only 80% of his self; that will be scary! And imagine what Brees can do with an 80% Ap. ****, you stack the box; Brees will kill you. You play nickel/dime; Ap will kill you!

Damn!

And the crazy thing is this, I honestly hope that Peterson IS healthy. I dude is just a LION and I really want to see him do well.

He was my back up in case we missed out on a RB in the draft. Ugh.
Doctor

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:06 am

I remember a few years ago the idea of RBs going early was becoming a joke and now we're getting talk of teams trading up to #2 to draft one and two could go in the top 10.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:40 am

Miller4Prez64 wrote:I remember a few years ago the idea of RBs going early was becoming a joke and now we're getting talk of teams trading up to #2 to draft one and two could go in the top 10.

Teams are looking for Ezekiel Elliot.

The Cowboys got arguably the two best Rookies last year and some teams are trying to do the same thing.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby Miller4Prez64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:49 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:
Miller4Prez64 wrote:I remember a few years ago the idea of RBs going early was becoming a joke and now we're getting talk of teams trading up to #2 to draft one and two could go in the top 10.

The Cowboys got arguably the two best Rookies last year and some teams are trying to do the same thing.

I think that is the case for sure, but I would want to be a trend setter not follower if I'm Jason Licht.
Miller4Prez64

Postby Buc2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:29 am

And for all we know, Elliot was a one year wonder. People are too quick to forget.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:32 am

Seahawks-Raiders swap sets stage for Marshawn Lynch to join Oakland
Phantom Phenom

Postby Phantom Phenom » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:46 am

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Raiders and Marshawn Lynch have agreed to a two-year contract.
Phantom Phenom

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:47 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:

While, yes, it's always been a copy cap league, I think a lot of it also had to do with the talent that was coming out in the position. I mean we had a couple of years where the top RBs coming out were Bishop Sankey and Gio Bernard. But at the end of the day there's still something to be said for the Gurley's, Zeke's, AP's, Lynch's and even to an extend the Johnathan Stewart's, CJ2k's, and McFadden's.

And while yes, stud backs can be found later, it's because people underrated them, not because teams didn't value them. If 2013 could be re-done I'm sure Bell would likely go #1 overall. Teams still WANT a Bell on their team. Just been a lack of talent at the position and college offenses have changed so it's harder to really identify those talents that are there.
Doctor

Postby MJW » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:51 am

Sammich wrote:
Phantom Phenom wrote:

I would love to see the Kitties trade multiple high rounders to trade up for a runningback. Their depth is getting a little sketchy and this trade would pay dividends to us for years to come.

Seconded. Their line sucks and so does their secondary. Let them make this deal.
MJW

Postby Nano » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:05 pm

According to Schefter, "smart well connected people" close to the Browns expect the pick to be....

Trubisky...
Nano

Postby nhbucsfan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:14 pm

Nano wrote:According to Schefter, "smart well connected people" close to the Browns expect the pick to be....

Trubisky...

And that's why they're the Browns.
If I were Hue (and the stories are true that he wants Garrett over the QB at 1), I'd walk out of the draft room and pack my boxes. He'll just end up fired this year anyway after he gets pressured to play Trubisky in game 5 and they end up with 2 wins again.
nhbucsfan

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions