Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Team Discussions regarding games, players, coaches, or anything else related to Buccaneer Football.
Re: Adrian Peterson interested in Bucs

Postby beardmcdoug » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:15 am

threadkiller wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:
Perine is part of the reason the class is special. Guy is one of the most physical backs to enter the league in years. Dude broke records. I think folks are sleeping on him as they are viewing him as "that other back from Oklahoma", but I think NFL teams are very aware of Perine as a talent. I think he's locked in as a Day 2 guy.

I can't say how other folks are coming to their opinions of him, I formed mine watching all his snaps against Baylor and Auburn in 2016 and Clemson in 2015. If you don't think those games capture who he is as a player, give me another game or two I should review. He is not an exceptionally physical runner by any measure in those games. Physical for sure. Said he had one great stiff arm. He ran through a couple other tackles. He did fall forward almost every time he met contact, but he was almost always taken down by initial contact. He had a decent burst, but almost no wiggle. Looked like a good motor away from the ball. Effective at short yardage when he put his head down and plowed. Not nearly as much when he did not have a gaping, obviously play designed hole to run through. To say he is one of the most physical backs to come out in years is laughable to me having watched those 3 games. He is a physical player that OU got into a decent number of open field 1 v 1 matchups with all the gimmicks, motion, etc in their offense. Even then, he ran into guys and was tackled falling forward. He did not run over guys and and break 10-15 yards more.

I mean... its a highlight video... but the dude can absorb some shots
beardmcdoug

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 am

beardmcdoug wrote:
threadkiller wrote:
I can't say how other folks are coming to their opinions of him, I formed mine watching all his snaps against Baylor and Auburn in 2016 and Clemson in 2015. If you don't think those games capture who he is as a player, give me another game or two I should review. He is not an exceptionally physical runner by any measure in those games. Physical for sure. Said he had one great stiff arm. He ran through a couple other tackles. He did fall forward almost every time he met contact, but he was almost always taken down by initial contact. He had a decent burst, but almost no wiggle. Looked like a good motor away from the ball. Effective at short yardage when he put his head down and plowed. Not nearly as much when he did not have a gaping, obviously play designed hole to run through. To say he is one of the most physical backs to come out in years is laughable to me having watched those 3 games. He is a physical player that OU got into a decent number of open field 1 v 1 matchups with all the gimmicks, motion, etc in their offense. Even then, he ran into guys and was tackled falling forward. He did not run over guys and and break 10-15 yards more.

I see nothing but short career. He has zero wiggle and takes shots on every run. At the NFL level those guys are big too and can hit and fill those gaps a lot faster. Those shots add up too.
Bootz2004

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:27 am

You have to get away from the highlight videos. There are too many great free resources if you are serious about forming an opinion on these prospects. Complete games cut up where you can see each snap a player has in a given game (and the entire play in real speed) in 3-10 minutes. Most now even highlight the player before each snap to make it easier. The highlight videos are borderline worthless. Might be worse than worthless actually.
threadkiller

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 am

threadkiller wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:
Perine is part of the reason the class is special. Guy is one of the most physical backs to enter the league in years. Dude broke records. I think folks are sleeping on him as they are viewing him as "that other back from Oklahoma", but I think NFL teams are very aware of Perine as a talent. I think he's locked in as a Day 2 guy.

I"m not sure what you're looking for. I'm not the one pounding the table for Perine, though think he ultimately would be a good fallback option if we miss out on others.

I view him as an incredibly physical 2 down power runner who'd tandem with Sims.
real bucs fan

Postby Bootz2004 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:35 am

real bucs fan wrote:
threadkiller wrote:

I"m not sure what you're looking for. I'm not the one pounding the table for Perine, though think he ultimately would be a good fallback option if we miss out on others.

I view him as an incredibly physical 2 down power runner who'd tandem with Sims.

Wait what???!!! This guy has 2nd & 9, 3rd and 7 written all over him. If he doesn't get out of the backfield it's a loss. He is a short yardage back if I've never seen 1.
Bootz2004

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:35 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
beardmcdoug wrote:

I see nothing but short career. He has zero wiggle and takes shots on every run. At the NFL level those guys are big too and can hit and fill those gaps a lot faster. Those shots add up too.

I don't disagree. In fact, the shots he's already taken is one of his biggest downsides. Lotta miles on that dude already.
real bucs fan

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:38 am

Bootz2004 wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

Wait what???!!! This guy has 2nd & 9, 3rd and 7 written all over him. If he doesn't get out of the backfield it's a loss. He is a short yardage back if I've never seen 1.

"If he doesn't get out of the backfield it's a loss"

Scouting report courtesy of Bootz :lol:
real bucs fan

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:40 am

Incredibly physical maybe in games that I have not watched. Likely against overmatched college opponents. Watch Clemson 2015:

http://draftbreakdown.com/video/samaje- ... mson-2015/

Tell me that is an incredibly physical runningback. Or a top 50 kind of prospect. I do not see it. Now against KU, at home? I bet he looked like the man that day he set the rushing record against them. I didn't bother watching that one.
threadkiller

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:59 am

threadkiller wrote:Incredibly physical maybe in games that I have not watched. Likely against overmatched college opponents. Watch Clemson 2015:

Tell me that is an incredibly physical runningback. Or a top 50 kind of prospect. I do not see it. Now against KU, at home? I bet he looked like the man that day he set the rushing record against them. I didn't bother watching that one.

This is your evidence against Perine?
real bucs fan

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:06 pm

real bucs fan wrote:
threadkiller wrote:Incredibly physical maybe in games that I have not watched. Likely against overmatched college opponents. Watch Clemson 2015:

That is my evidence against Perine being an incredibly physical runner, as you described him. Or as one of the most physical runners to come out in years. Yes, that game, the 2016 Auburn game, and 2016 Baylor games. Since I watched those three, I would submit any or all of them as evidence against your wild claims about him itt. Or your opinion that he will be drafted in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

Dispute my evidence. Watch the game and timestamp for me the plays where he is one of the most physical runners to come out in years.
threadkiller

Postby real bucs fan » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:12 pm

threadkiller wrote:
real bucs fan wrote:

That is my evidence against Perine being an incredibly physical runner, as you described him. Or as one of the most physical runners to come out in years. Yes, that game, the 2016 Auburn game, and 2016 Baylor games. Since I watched those three, I would submit any or all of them as evidence against your wild claims about him itt. Or your opinion that he will be drafted in the late 2nd/early 3rd.

Dispute my evidence. Watch the game and timestamp for me the plays where he is one of the most physical runners to come out in years.

I watched the Clemson game, I've watched the Auburn game. I've watched other games as well that you'd dismiss due to opponent. Perine is an exceptionally physical runner. Find me a scouting report that doesn't mention his physicality. If you want to see examples of it, just watch the highlight video posted. I'm not going to review tape and give you timestamps FFS.
real bucs fan

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:35 pm

I wouldn't completely dismiss games against bad teams without much or any NFL talent, they just aren't the ones I use to make a snap decision about a prospect. If I'm going to watch 30 minutes of a guy's plays, I'd rather watch him in his biggest games against his best opponents I can find. But even the game cut up against KU is a hell of a lot more instructive than some highlight video.

I'm not big on scouting reports, I'm sure they all describe him as a physical runner. That's exactly what he is, and that's all he is. We can quibble on qualifiers, but he is not the most physically exceptional runner in this class. Let alone one of the most physical to come out in years.

The issue is I watched and don't see it. Which is why I asked you to point it out to me. I'm interested because I'd like a short yardage situational guy late if we don't draft one of the elite feature back type prospects in this draft (and really have no interest in AP). I doubt even you would say Perine is going to come into the league as more than a rotation guy to complement a platoon. I think he would fit well with the skills of the backs already on the roster. If he is available in the 5th/6th round, where I would evaluate his tape.
threadkiller

Postby Super K » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:38 pm

RBF/Killer... Apologize that you fellas are arguing over and about the guy I want at RB..

Been a CRAZY ass work day, won't be able to chime in until later today, if at all..
Super K

Postby Naismith » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:49 pm

For those interested, this is the discussion in the Inside the Pylon guide. They included chats between the scouts regarding the players included in their positional rankings:

Matty Brown:
So on to Perine. This is a back who put up great numbers in a scheme that was not conducive to his main asset: power. His main issue is the vision he lacks at the line of scrimmage. It's inconsistent and just not good in general. He needs to be in a power running game in the NFL, and he needs to be given a runway to get up to his top speed. I'm not sure how much his vision will improve in a few years in the NFL, but he should at least have better pass protection, which is actually a strength already. Plus he is a vicious lead blocker.

Another thing on Perine is his whole psyche - sometimes he needs to just realize that he is a power back and can run people over, rather than trying to dance around them.

Ryan Dukarm:
Makes sense. I think based on that he’s probably right above Mack then, as a guy who’s probably athletically limited and needs a certain scheme.

MB:
Perine really really needs a good offensive line too. I think he might be limited to a committee.

RD:
And stuff like vision isn’t improving much in the NFL. So maybe not even a starter?

MB:
Maybe not. And no, vision will not improve much.
Where did you have him ranked Andrew?

AJ:
He's been a tough one for me to place because he's good at what he's asked to do, but, like you mentioned, he sometimes tries to run like a much lighter back. I think he's 10 among this group and it seems low but this class was better than years past.

MB:
I think his vision restricts his ceiling too, but he could be a solid NFL back.

AJ:
Right. He's not talented enough to be a featured back, but he's better than a standard 3rd on the depth chart guy.

MB:
Perfect way to describe him.

AJ:
He could be Zach Zenner, or he could try and add some other element to his game and be Mike Tolbert: a role player, but a valuable one.

RD:
Perfect description.

MB:
Yeah, I think I envision a Tolbert role as being the best one for him. His lead blocking was very very good.

RD:
Sort of a hybrid FB / RB.

AJ:
I would love to see a creative team use him, like the Saints, Patriots, or Seahawks.

MB:
Yeah, I agree Ryan, with the role description.

AJ:
But he'll rot on the vine if he ends up in Cincinnati, or somewhere with a more classic vision for offense.

MB:
The team he lands on matters big time, more so than it does for other prospects.
Naismith

Postby NYBF » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:56 pm

Mike Glennon
NYBF

Postby Doctor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Doctor

Postby NYBF » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:53 am

That doesn't even make sense.
NYBF

Postby 81mm Shake and Bake » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:25 pm

NYBF wrote:That doesn't even make sense.

Yeah, the ones with Ray Rice are funnier.
81mm Shake and Bake

Postby Buc2 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:52 pm

NYBF wrote:That doesn't even make sense.

Whew! Glad I'm not the only one. And that epileptic avatar of his doesn't make it any easier to understand.
Don't tread on me
Buc2

Postby DreadNaught » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:47 pm

AP is reportedly negotiating w/ the Saints for $3.25m in 2017. Maybe there is alot of incentives involved b/c that # seems low.

I don't want to play AP/Brees 2x next season, even if both are old.
DreadNaught

Postby MJW » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:54 pm

DreadNaught wrote:AP is reportedly negotiating w/ the Saints for $3.25m in 2017. Maybe there is alot of incentives involved b/c that # seems low.

I have no clue what Peterson is supposed to do for them that Ingram can't. Neither of them can play on 3rd down.
MJW

Postby Super K » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:20 pm

MJW wrote:
DreadNaught wrote:AP is reportedly negotiating w/ the Saints for $3.25m in 2017. Maybe there is alot of incentives involved b/c that # seems low.

I have no clue what Peterson is supposed to do for them that Ingram can't. Neither of them can play on 3rd down.

Sell jerseys...
Super K

Postby Doctor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:25 pm

MJW wrote:

Ingram has really developed as a pass catcher actually. AP is also much better in short yardage and the goal line. Not the best complimentary RB situation, but they do differ. Also, I think Sean would just like the put Ingram in his doghouse and leave him there.

I hate that the Saints are the ones rolling the dice on AP. If that works out that offense is going to get even more explosive.
Doctor

Postby threadkiller » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:34 pm

If AP is signed for less than 4 and we keep Doug at 6+ for his 13 game (hopefully) season, I will not be a happy buczone poster. I won't be happy at any number if the Saints get him. I feel strongly that he has a chip on his shoulder now and will break off a good season.
threadkiller

Postby tjax03 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:38 pm

Sounds like we may need to go defense rounds 2-5
tjax03

Postby Deja Entendu » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:30 am

He's officially a Saint.

I sure hope all the nay sayers end up being right about him...
Deja Entendu

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:32 am

We'll never see him.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:58 am

Mountaineer Buc wrote:We'll never see him.

I hope so. Is your opinion that he will not play well or that he will not be able to stay available? Or both, I guess if you think he is just completely done as a football player. Are you so down on him that you don't think he will make opening day?
threadkiller

Postby Mountaineer Buc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:05 am

threadkiller wrote:
Mountaineer Buc wrote:We'll never see him.

I hope so. Is your opinion that he will not play well or that he will not be able to stay available? Or both, I guess if you think he is just completely done as a football player. Are you so down on him that you don't think he will make opening day?

We won't see the Saints until week 9. I don't expect him to have a serious injury, but I expect he will get pretty banged up and not be overly effective.
Mountaineer Buc

Postby threadkiller » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 am

It's a weird fit for me. It's not the type of offense I would peg for APs "prove it again" comeback season. Especially doing so on the cheap. Betting his body is done feels like a sucker's bet to me, though. I guess we get to see now and this is one I'll be thrilled to pat you on the back for nailing.
threadkiller

PreviousNext

Return to Team Discussions